Help me understand cancel anytime clause

WeaverRN10

Earning My Ears
Please help me understand.. Disney's cancel anytime clause (75% of the cruise cost going toward a future cruise), does this automatically come with the purchase of the cruise? Or does this only apply to cancellations that are not covered by an insurance purchased? Thanks!

Please help me understand.. Disney's cancel anytime clause (75% of the cruise cost going toward a future cruise), does this automatically come with the purchase of the cruise? Or does this only apply to cancellations that are not covered by an insurance purchased? Thanks!
You have to buy DCL's travel insurance to be covered by this clause.

You have to buy DCL's travel insurance to be covered by this clause.
Yes. The feature that applies 75% of cancellation charges to a future cruise (within one year) applies only if you book travel insurance through DCL, which tends to be more expensive than insurance booked through other insurers. The feature applies if you cancel for a reason that is not otherwise covered by the insurance. This could include a medical problem caused by a pre-existing condition (that is, a condition for which you or a traveling companion was treated before you made your final cruise payment and purchased the insurance), inability to get time off work, travel delays that cause you to miss the ship (when travel wasn’t booked through DCL), etc.

Get the Chase Sapphire Reserve credit card and you get the travel insurance for free when you pay for the cruise using the card.

Get the Chase Sapphire Reserve credit card and you get the travel insurance for free when you pay for the cruise using the card.

That definitely is not going to cover the "cancel for any reason" situation that the DCL coverage provides.

That definitely is not going to cover the "cancel for any reason" situation that the DCL coverage provides.

The DCL insurance should be avoided at all costs. It is very expensive and has huge loopholes that will leave you hanging high and dry.

I agree that the DCL insurance is more expensive than comparable policies, and that it has exclusions. However, buying it is better than not buying insurance at all if you need to use it, and obviously, it is impossible to know whether you will need it until you do.

For some people, the ability to get a credit on a rebooked cruise in the case of a non-covered cancellation could be more useful than saving a few dollars. Other plans may have “cancel for any reason” coverage, but that is usually significantly more expensive.

When my family planned a Mediterranean cruise several years ago, I planned to look into other insurance plans, but got busy at work and didn’t get around to researching plans. At final payment, I just bought the DCL plan so I would have something. I was particularly concerned about some non-traveling relatives with health issues — I was concerned that something could happen with them that would cause us to miss our trip. Three weeks later, I was hospitalized for an issue I had never expected, and was later advised by my doctor not to take the cruise as I was still recuperating. When I cancelled just 3 weeks before the cruise, the insurance reimbursed my family for our full fare. Could I have saved $100 or so by buying other insurance? Yes. Could I have lost $10,000 if I hadn’t had insurance? Yes.

In this case, I had a covered condition that caused me to cancel, so any insurance would have paid off. In other circumstances — for example, If my mother-in-law had been hospitalized instead of me — the ability to lose just 25% of our fare might have made it easier for us to decide to reschedule.

On my next cruise, I did look into other plans, and found one that provided more coverage at a lower cost than the plan offered through DCL. That is preferable, certainly, but especially for people who don’t need to cover pre- and post-cruise plans (because, for example, they have other coverage for that), the DCL plan isn’t awful.

Last edited:

Three weeks later, I was hospitalized for an issue I had never expected, and was later advised by my doctor not to take the cruise as I was still recuperating. When I cancelled just 3 weeks before the cruise, the insurance reimbursed my family for our full fare.

Could you please elaborate on this? Was it 100% reimbursement?
I thought it was 75% with DCL any reason

Hope you're doing better on the issue that got you in the hospital.

Could you please elaborate on this? Was it 100% reimbursement?
I thought it was 75% with DCL any reason

Because I had a situation that was covered by the insurance (a medical condition that had not been treated or diagnosed at all before I purchased the insurance and that prevented me from taking the cruise) the insurance reimbursed me for the full fare. If the insurance had not covered it, then I could have used the "75% of fare towards a future cruise" Cancel for Any Reason feature. The Cancel for Any Reason feature can be used only if you have applied for reimbursement from insurance and been denied.

Hope you're doing better on the issue that got you in the hospital.
Thanks for your concern. As it turned out, I've had no recurrences, but I understand my doctor's advising that I shouldn't take the cruise, especially since I would have been on trans-Atlantic flights with limited access to care if complications did arise. We ended up taking a Med cruise 2 years later, when I was more confident I was entirely OK.

DCL offers a fairly "tradition" vacation protection policy -- the basics, nothing special, includes cancellation, trip interruption, medical, evacuation and baggage coverages. If canceling due to illness, etc., you submit the claim through the insurance company (currently Arch Insurance Company) and if the claim falls within the policy coverage, the insurance company will reimburse 100% of any non-refunded amount (so if you cancel shortly after PIF and the penalty is forfeit of deposit but DCL reimburses the rest, insurance will reimburse the deposit amount; if you cancel close to sail date and the penalty is full fare, insurance will reimburse full fare).

If the insurance company denies your claim because it is not illness, death or another covered reason, then you may submit to DCL for the "cancel for any reason" coverage - which I believe is 75% credit of the cancellation penalty towards another cruise within 12 months. Worth nothing: it isn't a reimbursement, just a credit with a time limit; if another cruise within that time doesn't fit your plans, you forfeit the cancellation penalty amount.

Third party coverage is typically less expensive, even including pre-existing conditions and cancel for any reason if bought within a short time of making deposit. Third party coverage can also be purchased later, and for a fee either of those 2 options can be included though it will be more expensive. Third party "cancel for any reason" will be a reimbursement (not a credit) though may only be 70% or so. Check the details of various policies.

Enjoy your cruise!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter