Help me plan a luau

MerryPoppins

<font color=coral>I posted around Woo Hooty time<b
DS is graduating from high school next month. We want to have a graduation party for a bunch of his friends and some of our friends too. He asked to have it in the park, so he and his friends could play beach volleyball after dinner. The park has a shelter, so I rented it for the evening. He thought a luau would be a fun theme so he could wear a Hawaiian shirt and flip flops. ;) I found the cutest shirt plates that will go with the theme.

Now for my questions. What foods would you suggest for a big group at a luau? My first thought was a roast pig, but we're not going there. :teeth: I thought I'd take a pineapple and stick skewers of fruit chunks into it with maybe a fruit dip. I also have several chip and dip ideas for munching on. A graduation cake is planned for after dinner and I think I'll just go with cans of pop and some bottles of water for drinks. I also thought maybe a veggie tray? And don't they make a tropical trail mix?

DH said maybe we could grill hamburgers and hot dogs in advance and then just reheat them in a big pan before we go to the park. That'd be easy, but does it fit the theme? Maybe a big pan of BBQ brisket would be better?

I'm going to visit the shelter this week to see if we have electricity. If we do, I might buy some strings of lights to make it more festive. And DD thought we should take a CD player with Jimmy Buffet and the Beach Boys. Any other brilliant ideas would be welcome, for menu or decorating.

We do a luau every year for friends and family and it's so much fun!
We do serve a roast pig but we don't cook it. Do you have a philipino community where you live? Roast pig is a very common party food in that community and we have a philipino butcher who we buy the pig already roasted from. They do them in a big kiln and will even carve it for you and put it back together. All I do is order from them a week or two ahead and go to pick it up. They load it in a big cardboard box into the back of my car and then at the luau I decorate around it with lots of green leafy lettuce. It's a huge hit and really sets the tone. It's great because it takes no effort on my part and feeds a huge crowd. Check your local butchers. Maybe this might be a good option for you!

We have no philipino communities in our area. I don't know of anyone who roasts pigs. One problem with that is several of our friends are Jewish, so that could pose a problem for them?

I visited with my mom this morning. She suggested making rum cakes instead of just buying a cake. That's a thought. She also thought maybe hot wings would be a hit. She has a recipe that calls for pineapple and such. I wonder if I made several batches, if I could put them in a big crockpot to keep them warm?

Keep the ideas coming.

I had a luau graduation party two years ago as well. For food, we had Tequila Lime Chicken Wings (Tyson chicken, sold at Sams Club), Pineapple (I cut it up to be a boat and then cut another just in chunks), Pulled BBQ Chicken, we bought beverage dispensers from Target cheap (plastic) and pre-made punch with floating orange slices in it, we also had regular drinks, we had a Lilo & Stitch cake from Sams Club, A HUGE bowl of Tropical Starbursts. By the time everyone left, we were completely out of food save the 'normal' stuff we had like chips and pretzels, and even hot dogs/hamburgers. Everyone was so into the theme that they didn't wany any of the other stuff. If you go to Party City, usually around this time they're putting out all their stuff which is a lot- we got (and i'm missing stuff here): a giant inflatable tiki totem pole, an inflatable palm tree that the base was actually a cooler for ice and cans, little tiki man candles, stickers, plates, napkins, a coconut monkey in grass skirt, leis, an Aloha flag, tiki party signs, and even a few cds. I had such a great time, and all of my friends and family still talk about it.

You're forgetting the HAWIIAN PUNCH!!

Sounds like fun. Oriental trading company's website has lots of luau decorations and party favors.

Here is a link to some recipes (just do a google search for luau party food if you need others). If you do have electricity you could cook things up before hand then take them in those big electric roasters to keep hot.

Have a great party!!

We've ordered those big party subs for large kid get togethers and they are a hit. You can have whatever you like put on them.

Also we have had hawaiian pizza before and thats good.

I was just struck by a great idea! You could take Cheese and cut them into flowers and put them on crackers. You could also make melon balls. Serve them in a champaigne glass and serve with a slice of fresh pineapple! A hawain favorite!

I just knew you guys would be full of wonderful ideas. :thumbsup2 Keep them coming!

This looked neat too..

HAWAIIAN PIE

3 eggs, beaten
2 tbsp. flour
2 tsp. lemon juice
1 c. crushed pineapple
1/4 c. milk
1 1/2 c. sugar
1/4 c. melted butter
2/3 c. coconut
1 (9 inch) deep dish unbaked pie shell

Combine eggs, milk, sugar, flour, lemon juice, and butter. Beat until smooth. Add pineapple and coconut. Pour into pie shell. Bake at 350 degrees for 45-50 minutes or until center of pie is set. Cool.

HAWAIIAN LUAU

1 3/4 c. crushed vanilla wafer crumbs
1 stick melted butter
3 bananas, sliced
1 can Eagle Brand condensed sweet milk
1/4 c. lemon juice
1 sm. can crushed pineapple, drained
1 sm. carton Cool Whip
1 sm. can coconut
1/2 c. chopped nuts
1 sm. jar cherries

Use Pyrex dish. Mix vanilla wafer crumbs with butter and line dish. Place sliced bananas on top of that. Mix lemon juice and milk together until thick. Spread over bananas. Next, put crushed pineapple on, then the Cool Whip, then the coconut, nuts and cherries. Chill and serve.
Dream of Hawaii.

YUM!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter