Help Me Outline a Summer Plan

JZCubed

DIS Veteran
DVC Platinum
Hello.

My family has never been to Universal, so I'm asking y'all for some suggestions about outlining a plan.

In some respects - just give me your thoughts.

In other respects - help me spend my money.

First, no water parks.

Second, after arriving from Disney, we are fortunate to be staying at Hard Rock for 4-nights.

I understand that 4-nights might be 'overkill', but I'm not so young, and neither is my older sister who will be joining us.

Also, Florida is hot, so we'd rather go more slowly than feeling as if we had to see everything in 'a New York minute' (I'm originally from NY). Thought of differently, we plan so we don't have to ever feel as if we're rushing.

We are morning people, so the notion of being at Park openings is generally part of our planning, although, this might not be likely on arrival day.

We tend to leave Parks before they get too crowded at midday, and find things to do like renting boats and taking a bit of downtime at the pool before enjoying a fine dining meal and/or parades & fireworks.

You may include nighttime recommendations, but I fully understand that COVID restrictions may continue to impact some of the previously held festive things that may or may not be available this coming summer.

There is no reason to be inconvenienced by (travel for) food choices on a vacation, but I am otherwise something of a food snob (I managed fine dining restaurants) who would enjoy learning about your food snob experiences at Universal too. Fwiw, over-the-top places like Toothsome Chocolate Emporium can be fun one-and-done / 'must-try' experiences, like Sci-Fi Dine-In Theater, but we frequent BlueZoo & CA Grill more than anyplace at Disney for dinner; I enjoy the BBQ Slaw Dog at Casey's too (when the Piano Man is playin').

We are also receptive to any of the add-ons like Dessert Parties or anything else that could gain access above and beyond the benefits already being provided. I remember when Blue Man Group was 'just' a neighborhood show when I lived in NYC.

Our stay:

Wednesday - Arrival Day
Thursday - full day
Friday - full day
Saturday - full day; go back to 'favorites'
Sunday - travel home

I would love to learn about what others love about Universal & Island of Adventure & CityWalk by outlining some of your thoughts.

Thank.

Thank you very much.

You are doing UO right, and are set up for a relaxing end to your trip. There is so much to do besides the rides, that you have plenty of options.

You don't really need to do much planning, since you booked a room at a Deluxe; that is the "hard part". With EP and EE, you can make a loop around a park each morning before the crowds and heat hits. Lunch time at the park restaurants gets a bit busy, so we usually eat at off hours or go to CityWalk/resorts. Then we'll take a nap or go to the pool, before going back to the parks. Some times we'll eat an early dinner first, other times, we just grab something in the parks.

As for food, we have done most of the mid-level restaurants. We did eat at Bice over at PBH and enjoyed it. We love that resort, and it is only a short walk from HRH. I hear the Palms is very nice and Big Fire looks like a good choice as well. If you enjoy HP, Three Broomsticks is a fun lunch, and Cowfish is definitely a one-of-a-kind place worth trying.

I wrote down my planning ideas here: https://www.disboards.com/threads/how-i-plan-a-universal-trip.3794121/. Hopefully, you will have one Annual Pass and will be able to get an APH rate on the room. Can save several hundred dollars on a 4 night stay.

You are doing UO right, and are set up for a relaxing end to your trip. There is so much to do besides the rides, that you have plenty of options.

You don't really need to do much planning, since you booked a room at a Deluxe; that is the "hard part". With EP and EE, you can make a loop around a park each morning before the crowds and heat hits. Lunch time at the park restaurants gets a bit busy, so we usually eat at off hours or go to CityWalk/resorts. Then we'll take a nap or go to the pool, before going back to the parks. Some times we'll eat an early dinner first, other times, we just grab something in the parks.

As for food, we have done most of the mid-level restaurants. We did eat at Bice over at PBH and enjoyed it. We love that resort, and it is only a short walk from HRH. I hear the Palms is very nice and Big Fire looks like a good choice as well. If you enjoy HP, Three Broomsticks is a fun lunch, and Cowfish is definitely a one-of-a-kind place worth trying.

I wrote down my planning ideas here: https://www.disboards.com/threads/how-i-plan-a-universal-trip.3794121/. Hopefully, you will have one Annual Pass and will be able to get an APH rate on the room. Can save several hundred dollars on a 4 night stay.
Thank you.

Nice thing about the Express Passes is that you won't have to criss-cross the park to beat the long lines.

Don't plan on eating at a table inside the park unless you either wait in a lonnnnggg line first or have a reservation. This is because of the social distancing in the restaurants, and that they have to bring the food to you causing more delay.

You mention you like fine dining, but when you aren't, avoid the chili. It is really a meat-flavored bean broth.

Haven’t eaten there in years but The Palm was fantastic. Toothsome is somewhat like Cheescake factory food. We go there for desserts. Big Fire has great reviews and we hope to try it in May. Here is a great post for planning
https://www.disboards.com/threads/how-i-plan-a-universal-trip.3794121/
Consider club level at Hard Rock it is a must have for my family. Soda, juice, water all day, Breakfast food, snacks at lunchtime, appetizers, wine, beer, and a sweet treat at night. It is just so nice and convenient, our experience has been that the club will help with reservations and dining suggestions. Mythos is fantastic they have an award for best theme park restaurant and they deserve it! You will find Universal is the perfect ending to your trip. With the express pass at Hard Rock you will be pleasantly surprised how relaxing the end of your trip will be. 4 days is usually what we stay and my family finds it to be perfect. Enjoy your trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter