• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Help me figure this out! **UPDATED AGAIN....SO EXCITED!**

Thanks for all the replies. Yes, I know it's a short trip, and I wish we could do an extra day, but it is what it is.

I know it's not ideal, but what I've got right now is that on arrival day we'll go to MK just because it's the most convenient. Then we'll head back to the GF when they kick us out of MK, and we'll relax a bit before an 8:30pm dinner at Narcoossee's. We'll watch Holiday Wishes from the porch.

It's not ideal, but I don't mind. Most of this trip was paid for with credit card rewards and discount gift cards, so even if I only get a couple of crowded hours at MK as one of our park days, I don't really feel like it's much of a loss.

ETA: Reading over this and seeing me say that "it's not ideal" to be splitting our evening between the Magic Kingdom and the Grand Floridian with dinner at Narcoossee's seems very absurd. It IS ideal, LOL. I feel very fortunate to have this "problem". Oh no! I can't spend a lot of time in a theme park and must sacrifice and lounge around our deluxe resort before eating at a signature restaurant where we can watch the fireworks before walking back to our room. Poor me. LOL.

Calamari, Wishes--couple of tears, twin lobster tails, lobster mac and cheese, almond cheesecake...sounds like a good night to me.

Last edited:
Maybe a stupid suggestion but since you used rewards to buy these passes, could you save the 3 day ones you have now and buy the 2 day ones that you actually need? As long as you haven't used the 3 day ones they are good anytime, right? I think I might take on the expense in order to not have the rushing feeling of trying to make every second count.

I just came back to make the same suggestion about the tickets.
Save 'em for a future trip to use or upgrade.

Again, I really appreciate everyone's advice. I know a lot of you mean well with your suggestions, but the trip is going to remain as it is. We've rented DVC at the Grand, as it's the only way we could afford it, and as I said, we're as stoked about the resort as anything. We were at Disney last Easter, and we're one 43 year old and two 70+ year olds, so we're not looking to hit the parks hard and go, go, go. As suggested, we do plan to hang in the lobby (my dad is a musician and looks forward to just chilling and listening to the GF Society Orchestra). I have scrimped and saved and taken advantage of over a half-dozen credit card sign-up bonuses to afford to take my parents on this trip to celebrate Mom's 75th birthday. She's had health issues this year, and is still recovering from those but with God's grace she'll be much better by December. She's really looking forward to the trip, and the truth is that it will likely be her last. I'm not sure if or when I'll return to Disney after this trip. Goodness knows I wish we had more time there, but as I said, it is what it is. There is more than just money that comes into play with being away longer, but I won't bore you with the details.

I'm happy with our plan for now. We have nonstop flights to MCO, so at least that lessens the chance of a delay. I know it can still happen, of course, and if it does we'll adjust our plan. It's not the end of the world if we don't get our money's worth on the tickets. I'm mainly trying to create a memorable vacation for my Mom. :)

I had thought about hiring a car service instead of DME, but I think we'll be okay. We are scheduled to arrive at MCO at 2:40pm, so that's why I said I'm hoping we arrive at the GF around 4pm. Naturally, things can happen, that's a given. We'll "drop back and punt" if the game plan goes awry.

I hope this doesn't sound like I'm shrugging off everyone's suggestions. I truly to appreciate the feedback and help. I love this board for exactly this reason.

Again, I really appreciate everyone's advice. I know a lot of you mean well with your suggestions, but the trip is going to remain as it is.

I hope this doesn't sound like I'm shrugging off everyone's suggestions. I truly to appreciate the feedback and help. I love this board for exactly this reason.

Well you asked what we would do :) I think that's a great question as it'll give you more thoughts,especially ones you may not have considered or knew about. less time at disney is better than no time at disney :)

Well you asked what we would do :) I think that's a great question as it'll give you more thoughts,especially ones you may not have considered or knew about. less time at disney is better than no time at disney :)

I agree OP. You asked for our opinion

Thanks for all the replies. Yes, I know it's a short trip, and I wish we could do an extra day, but it is what it is.

I know it's not ideal, but what I've got right now is that on arrival day we'll go to MK just because it's the most convenient. Then we'll head back to the GF when they kick us out of MK, and we'll relax a bit before an 8:30pm dinner at Narcoossee's. We'll watch Holiday Wishes from the porch.

It's not ideal, but I don't mind. Most of this trip was paid for with credit card rewards and discount gift cards, so even if I only get a couple of crowded hours at MK as one of our park days, I don't really feel like it's much of a loss.

ETA: Reading over this and seeing me say that "it's not ideal" to be splitting our evening between the Magic Kingdom and the Grand Floridian with dinner at Narcoossee's seems very absurd. It IS ideal, LOL. I feel very fortunate to have this "problem". Oh no! I can't spend a lot of time in a theme park and must sacrifice and lounge around our deluxe resort before eating at a signature restaurant where we can watch the fireworks before walking back to our room. Poor me. LOL.

Yeah - you are just doing Disney differently. Nothing wrong with that. You will go again!

We've rented DVC at the Grand, as it's the only way we could afford it, and as I said, we're as stoked about the resort as anything. We were at Disney last Easter, and we're one 43 year old and two 70+ year olds, so we're not looking to hit the parks hard and go, go, go. As suggested, we do plan to hang in the lobby (my dad is a musician and looks forward to just chilling and listening to the GF Society Orchestra). I have scrimped and saved and taken advantage of over a half-dozen credit card sign-up bonuses to afford to take my parents on this trip to celebrate Mom's 75th birthday. She's had health issues this year, and is still recovering from those but with God's grace she'll be much better by December. She's really looking forward to the trip, and the truth is that it will likely be her last.

It's not the end of the world if we don't get our money's worth on the tickets. I'm mainly trying to create a memorable vacation for my Mom. :)

I think what you are doing is fantastic! The time spent with your parents will be priceless. Enjoy your time together.

I put the same question to my newbie travelers, use extra park tkt evening we arrive, or morning we leave. They want to use it the evening we arrive. It's because it would be stressful to go to the park then worry if they will get back to the resort, WL, in time for DME. We decided to use the last day to tour the MK resorts.
So 1st evening, we are eating, no food on plane, then go to MK to just look around.

I'd use the ticket the first night. I find when we go to a park on departure day, I spend all my time looking at my watch and stressing about getting to the airport on time.

Actually... I'd save the 3 day tickets for a future trip. I'd get MVMCP tickets and 2-day park tickets. Use MVMCP as MK day and then do Epcot and AK on the other 2 days. Heck, who knows... maybe Disney would let you use the 3 day tickets towards your new plan, who knows?

ETA... oops, sorry, I see you added details and have a solution. Sounds like fun! I am currently debating watching Wishes from California Grill or Narcoosees on my birthday. Didn't know the TTC was an option. From where at the TTC is the view the best?

From where at the TTC is the view the best?
Just south of the ferry loading area.

TTC-Fwx_022013_zpsf1a4f7f1.jpg

Last edited:
Okay, guys. The original plan to arrive early at Disney has been thwarted by Southwest's limited flight times out of our airport for that day. Instead of arriving at our resort around 10am, as I had once hoped based on times I've been stalking since LAST December, we won't be arriving until probably 4pm.

And instead of leaving the resort around 1:30pm on our departure day (for a 4:45 flight), we'll now be leaving around 10:55am for a 1:55pm flight. (DME picks up 3 hours before flight, yes?)

We have 3-day PH, and now basically two full park days and either a very limited arrival day park experience in the evening (we're at the GF and MK has MVMCP that night), or a very limited departure day park experience (early breakfast at MK would be about the only thing I can fathom).

I wish we just at 2-day PH, but that's what I get for buying them so early. Oh well.

I'm traveling with my 73 year old father and 74 (almost 75 at trip time) mother, so leisurely pace is a must. And one thing I really want to do that first night is watch Holiday Wishes from the TTC.

Also, we're as excited about the Grand Floridian as any of the parks, so it's not like we'll just want to drop our stuff and run to a park when we arrive. We've never stayed there, and I know we'll want to spend some time enjoying the resort that first night.

So, does it seem reasonable to just pop over to MK after we check in to say "hi" to Mickey, watch the castle lighting show, get a picture in front of the lit castle (we have Memory Maker), and then head back to the GF (since we can't stay for MVMCP) and relax until fireworks time, then shoot over to the TTC? BTW, I pick that location because I keep reading that the music isn't very clear/loud at other places like the Poly beach, in front of Gaspy's, etc.

OR, should we save our park day until our departure morning, get there bright and early for a relatively empty park, get some good daytime pics along Main St. and then have breakfast at the Crystal Palace before heading back to the GF to catch DME? Will that be too rushed? I don't want to be rushed. We can have a nice breakfast at 1900 Park Fare or GF Cafe before leaving without the rush.

Ugh. I wish I had waited to get park tickets.

Thoughts? Which would you do? Arrival or Departure?

Bottom line: I'd either arrive a day earlier or stay a day later.

I think if MK is your only park goal the first day, and there's a MVMCP and your flight doesn't land until 1:55, going to the park at all that day is just going to be a waste of time and money (because you aren't likely to get there before 5:00, and you'll be herded out by 7, and I've seen reports that the park hours might actually be until 6 for non party guests this year).

and on top of that, with a 1:55 flight, 11 AM ME is going to mean leaving the park by 10:15AM at the latest, it seems like you aren't going to get any park time that morning, either.

I'd definitely be thinking add a day.

Just because you have a three day ticket doesn't mean you have to use all three days. I know it's use-it-or-lose-it for the third day. But don't push so hard that you and/or parents are stressed or exhausted. Using only two days on the tickets and having a great time is better than using three days and feeling overwhelmed. If you guys are tired from travel on arrival day, or think getting to and from a park on departure day would be too much, that's okay. And don't forget that sometimes there are monorail issues which can result in delays getting back to your hotel.

First of all the Grand Floridian is my most favorite resort of all. You will absolutely love it! I just love everything about it :love: .
I know how you feel about flight changes, Delta messed up our last day by changing our flight so we have to leave in the morning also.
I would go to MK for a little bit on arrival day then go back and have dinner at Narcoossee's. I think eating dinner at Narcoossee's and watching the fireworks on the deck is a great idea.
You may only have a couple of hours in MK before the party starts. I think you have to leave MK at 7:00 on party nights if you dont have a party ticket.
I would check and see what all shows and rides they have to choose from and pick a couple that would be great for everyone to enjoy. I would get fastpass for the ones you choose if they are available for them.
Someone said the fireworks start at 10:00 pm on a post above but, I know they have changed it to 9:00 pm for the summer months. Then again who knows Disney may change the time again. I'm not sure when you are going.
I would not go to a park on departure day.
You could use your departure day to enjoy the time at the Grand Florida eating breakfast at 1900 Park Fare, strolling around the lobby, and checking out some of the shops.

Last edited:
Southwest tossed a curve ball at me too. I was going to land at 3pm and go to MK that night. Now my flight from a different airline will get me in before park opens so we are taking our time in another park that morning. So we can still do the MK night time walk down main street..my family had been stoked about before the flights. I think I would go the first night if I were you I would do Fireworks if you can and maybe a special dinner. I know you will do whats best for your family. Have fun.

edited I realize you can't watch fireworks from the hub because it is a party night maybe use the pass at another park for a few hours then go somewhere to watch the fireworks from (hub or somewhere with view?)

First of all the Grand Floridian is my most favorite resort of all. You will absolutely love it! I just love everything about it :love: .
I know how you feel about flight changes, Delta messed up our last day by changing our flight so we have to leave in the morning also.
I would go to MK for a little bit on arrival day then go back and have dinner at Narcoossee's. I think eating dinner at Narcoossee's and watching the fireworks on the deck is a great idea.
You may only have a couple of hours in MK before the party starts. I think you have to leave MK at 7:00 on party nights if you dont have a party ticket.
I would check and see what all shows and rides they have to choose from and pick a couple that would be great for everyone to enjoy. I would get fastpass for the ones you choose if they are available for them.
Someone said the fireworks start at 10:00 pm on a post above but, I know they have changed it to 9:00 pm for the summer months. Then again who knows Disney may change the time again. I'm not sure when you are going.
I would not go to a park on departure day.
You could use your departure day to enjoy the time at the Grand Florida eating breakfast at 1900 Park Fare, strolling around the lobby, and checking out some of the shops.
This is exactly what we're going to do! :)
We don't really feel the need to see everything in the parks since we were just there last year. Mostly we want to see the Christmas stuff (minus MVMCP, just couldn't justify the expense). That first evening in MK we'll most likely just browse our way up Main Street, hit as many PhotoPass stops as we can, maybe a FP+ for meeting Mickey and one for "Jingle" Cruise, then watch the castle lighting and then head back to the GF.
It may not be exactly what I'd hoped for when I was thinking we'd have a much earlier flight, but it's still going to be great. :)

That sounds like a lovely quick trip OP! My family has similar touring strategy now, my parents don't have the mobility/stamina for more than about 3-4 hours at a time, particularly with crowds or heat. Some of our best memories are nice meals, walking through the Main Street shops, and photo ops. We also love to people watch. One suggestion for some more Christmas magic, if you aren't doing a park departure day, maybe pop over to another monorail resort if you're up early enough. Then you can see some other decorations and have some magic on departure day (though GF is one of my favorites). Either way, it sounds like a great bit of Christmas magic for you and your parents! Have fun!

This is exactly what we're going to do! :)
We don't really feel the need to see everything in the parks since we were just there last year. Mostly we want to see the Christmas stuff (minus MVMCP, just couldn't justify the expense). That first evening in MK we'll most likely just browse our way up Main Street, hit as many PhotoPass stops as we can, maybe a FP+ for meeting Mickey and one for "Jingle" Cruise, then watch the castle lighting and then head back to the GF.
It may not be exactly what I'd hoped for when I was thinking we'd have a much earlier flight, but it's still going to be great. :)
Sounds like a good plan :thumbsup2

Any time with your parents approaching those ages is bonus time. Believe me, I know. That time at Disney will be magical bonus time! Enjoy your trip no matter what you see and do!

So, major change of plans! This morning I logged in bright and early to make Narcoossee's ADR and 1900 Park Fare ADR, only to be disappointed with lack of availability and limited times. Harumph. I had spent last night pouring over my plan, trying different scenarios, never really happy with the results.

And then it just hit me while I was staring at my screen, disgruntled with how things were turning out. Screw it. We're going to MVMCP!!

And so that's what we're doing on arrival night. We should get to the resort around 4pm, but I don't care when we get there as long as we can get to the party in time to see the fireworks, parade, and castle show and get my Mom a meet and greet with Santa Goofy! LOL!

And for our extra day of park tickets, we'll just rope drop MK on our departure day, and...I don't know...walk down Main St. look at the castle one last time, and then take the boat back to the resort in time to catch DME.

I'm not even worried about the money aspect. Que sera sera! I've been fortunate enough that most of the money spent on this trip was "found" money anyway.

So the current plan is:
Arrival Day:
1. Arrive at GF, check in, grab a quick bite at Beaches or Gasparilla's
2. Head to MK for MVMCP

Day Two:
1. Sleep in
2. 11:00am brunch at 1900 Park Fare
3. Epcot for the afternoon
4. Back to resort for a break
5. Head to MK to watch Happily Ever After fireworks

Day Three:
1. No rush in the morning, and head to MK whenever we get around to it
2. Back to resort for a break
3. Epcot in the evening for dinner (at Rose & Crown hopefully), Candlelight Processional, and IllumiNations

Departure Day:
1. Up early to bid farewell to MK and get final PhotoPass pics (we have Memory Maker)
2. Leave MK by 10am for our last boat ride across to the Grand
3. Catch DME and head home

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter