Help me figure this out! **UPDATED AGAIN....SO EXCITED!**

GPC0321

DIS Veteran
Okay, guys. The original plan to arrive early at Disney has been thwarted by Southwest's limited flight times out of our airport for that day. Instead of arriving at our resort around 10am, as I had once hoped based on times I've been stalking since LAST December, we won't be arriving until probably 4pm.

And instead of leaving the resort around 1:30pm on our departure day (for a 4:45 flight), we'll now be leaving around 10:55am for a 1:55pm flight. (DME picks up 3 hours before flight, yes?)

We have 3-day PH, and now basically two full park days and either a very limited arrival day park experience in the evening (we're at the GF and MK has MVMCP that night), or a very limited departure day park experience (early breakfast at MK would be about the only thing I can fathom).

I wish we just at 2-day PH, but that's what I get for buying them so early. Oh well.

I'm traveling with my 73 year old father and 74 (almost 75 at trip time) mother, so leisurely pace is a must. And one thing I really want to do that first night is watch Holiday Wishes from the TTC.

Also, we're as excited about the Grand Floridian as any of the parks, so it's not like we'll just want to drop our stuff and run to a park when we arrive. We've never stayed there, and I know we'll want to spend some time enjoying the resort that first night.

So, does it seem reasonable to just pop over to MK after we check in to say "hi" to Mickey, watch the castle lighting show, get a picture in front of the lit castle (we have Memory Maker), and then head back to the GF (since we can't stay for MVMCP) and relax until fireworks time, then shoot over to the TTC? BTW, I pick that location because I keep reading that the music isn't very clear/loud at other places like the Poly beach, in front of Gaspy's, etc.

OR, should we save our park day until our departure morning, get there bright and early for a relatively empty park, get some good daytime pics along Main St. and then have breakfast at the Crystal Palace before heading back to the GF to catch DME? Will that be too rushed? I don't want to be rushed. We can have a nice breakfast at 1900 Park Fare or GF Cafe before leaving without the rush.

Ugh. I wish I had waited to get park tickets.

Thoughts? Which would you do? Arrival or Departure?

**New Plan on Post #40**

Last edited:
The problem is that your trip is too short.
(Sorry, but somebody's got to say it.) ;)

There is a lot to enjoy in the late afternoon and evening just in the Floridian lobby,
but you won't have time for that with so few days at WDW.

Yes, DME picks up 3 hours before flight time.

Sorry, I'm not following. How many days do you actually have? I see that you are arriving later than expected on day 1 and leaving earlier on your last day, I just don't know what's in between.

Also, I don't recall anyone saying they wanted to watch MK fireworks from TTC. Since you are on the monorail, and especially at the GF, wouldn't there be other/better places to watch from outside the park?

Also, I don't recall anyone saying they wanted to watch MK fireworks from TTC. Since you are on the monorail, and especially at the GF, wouldn't there be other/better places to watch from outside the park?

TTC is one of the better spots to see (and hear) the MK fireworks (outside of MK.)

Sorry, I'm not following. How many days do you actually have? I see that you are arriving later than expected on day 1 and leaving earlier on your last day, I just don't know what's in between.
From the OP-
We have 3-day PH, and now basically two full park days and either a very limited arrival day park experience in the evening..., or a very limited departure day park experience...

TTC is one of the better spots to see (and hear) the MK fireworks (outside of MK.)

Thank you! I didn't realize that.
I was thinking more from an atmosphere point of view, like dinner at GF then going to the GF dock, dinner at Kona or 'Ohana and watching from Poly beach or monorail to CR balcony. I thought that might be less hectic.

From the OP-
We have 3-day PH, and now basically two full park days and either a very limited arrival day park experience in the evening..., or a very limited departure day park experience...

Thanks, I was trying to get an idea of what the OP was looking to do in such a limited time. Would they consider another park on MVMCP night? Or are they just interested in going to MK and hanging at the GF (not a bad gig LOL)

Thoughts? Which would you do? Arrival or Departure?

Two things:

1. DME will be pulling out at 10:55 and they will NOT wait for you, so you're going to need to be AT the resort by 10:40, at the latest, to make sure you have your carry-ons and everything you need to get on that bus. IF you can get an 8 am PPO, I might go with departure day at MK. You would have about an hour and 15 min to do some other things. BUT....

2. Fireworks on your arrival night will be at 10:00 pm. I think that gives you time to hit another park that first night and still be back at TTC to see them. I'd probably choose EP since you have the monorail. You won't see Illuminations that night, but if you leave EP right at 9:00, you should be at TTC in plenty of time to see the MK fireworks. It does mean you drop your bags and go, but you will have your departure day to leisurely walk around GF before MDE, and since you're already there, you know you won't be late for the bus.

Even with my preferred #2, you'll only have a couple hours in EP, but it's better than wasting the ticket completely. Oh, I would not do MK on arrival. The hrs of 4-7 are SOOOOO crowded with daytime guests and party guests all crammed in together. I don't think it would be a very magical time at all.

Thank you! I didn't realize that.
I was thinking more from an atmosphere point of view, like dinner at GF then going to the GF dock, dinner at Kona or 'Ohana and watching from Poly beach or monorail to CR balcony. I thought that might be less hectic.
The TTC gives a much better view and clearer sound. I'd choose it over the GF every single time.

Thanks for all the replies. Yes, I know it's a short trip, and I wish we could do an extra day, but it is what it is.

I know it's not ideal, but what I've got right now is that on arrival day we'll go to MK just because it's the most convenient. Then we'll head back to the GF when they kick us out of MK, and we'll relax a bit before an 8:30pm dinner at Narcoossee's. We'll watch Holiday Wishes from the porch.

It's not ideal, but I don't mind. Most of this trip was paid for with credit card rewards and discount gift cards, so even if I only get a couple of crowded hours at MK as one of our park days, I don't really feel like it's much of a loss.

ETA: Reading over this and seeing me say that "it's not ideal" to be splitting our evening between the Magic Kingdom and the Grand Floridian with dinner at Narcoossee's seems very absurd. It IS ideal, LOL. I feel very fortunate to have this "problem". Oh no! I can't spend a lot of time in a theme park and must sacrifice and lounge around our deluxe resort before eating at a signature restaurant where we can watch the fireworks before walking back to our room. Poor me. LOL.

There is a lot to enjoy in the late afternoon and evening just in the Floridian lobby,

I agree, but as the op stated, it is what it is.

Op- I would not chance any park on departure day. I would not even leave your resort because if you are late (late means not 15 minutes early) dme will not wait.

Your arrival day, if you do not experience travel delays is fine, but i would allow for unexpected delays.

To buy a bit of time on either end, would forego ME and book a driver to and from the airport. Tony Hinds is excellent.

I would use the park day at the end of the trip. Be up and out early and do what you want to do with lower crowds.

Use arrival night to enjoy the resort, chill out, watch the fireworks.

This! A hundred times!! Would hardly seem worth the hassle to me! (not to mention time/money/effort spent) Sorry! To each their own though! Enjoy :goodvibes

what I've got right now is that on arrival day we'll go to MK just because it's the most convenient. Then we'll head back to the GF when they kick us out of MK,

1. and we'll relax a bit before an 8:30pm
2. dinner at Narcoossee's.
3. We'll watch Holiday Wishes from the porch.
1. Sit in the Floridian lobby. There will be live music being performed.
2. Nice!
3. That is an EXCELLENT place to see and HEAR the MK fireworks.
I don't talk it up much because it is now restricted exclusively to Narcoossee's diners.

To buy a bit of time on either end, would forego ME and book a driver to and from the airport. Tony Hinds is excellent.

I second that. MDE is convenient and included, but not the most efficient transportation.

As to arrival day, SW killed our plan of having a nice leisurely late afternoon in the pool this year with a 4 hr mechanical delay (We had a mech delay on the way home too. I used to travel a lot for work and have never had 2 mech delays in one trip.) so park day on arrival is at the whims of the airline gods. I would plan it and be prepared to switch to departure day if need be.

Was the issue with flights that there weren't any at the times you wanted to go or were they booked? One of the nice things about SW is that you can change your flight with no penalty fee. I would check back from time to time to see if anything becomes available (people change their flights around more because of that). I think I have also seen them add flights if the ones on the schedule fill up too quickly but I could be wrong about that.

Good luck!

Is there any chance at all that you could arrive a day early and do a cheap hotel so you would end up with 3 full days?

If you are landing at 4pm there is a chance you won't get to your resort and checked in until 6pm. If you are doing a park on arrival day I'd do Epcot and then come back for holiday wishes. Otherwise I would just plan to use the ticket on your departure day because you might have maybe a half hour in the park. If you are paying for a more pricey dinner at Narcosse have you considered just actually going to mk for the party anyway? lol with a shorter trip I'd just pay the extra for the party ticket and use the last day ticket on departure day! Good luck and have fun!

Personally, I wouldn't spend the money for such a short trip unless I was a local who just wanted to do a quick trip to experience the Grand Floridian and forego the parks.

Is there anyway you can be flexible with the amount of days you are staying? Could you cancel your reservation at Grand Floridian and stay somewhere less expensive and then purchase additional days at the parks with the money you saved? Can you just take a cab/car to and from the airport instead of doing DME so you won't be wasting so much time with travel back and forth (taking is cab/car is SO much faster than DME)? I agree with the PP that it would be a better idea to fly in the day before and either stay at a cheaper resort or stay off property so you will have an additional full day at the parks.

If you can't stay longer or fly in earlier my advice would be to come up with an entirely new plan. Although you are staying at a monorail resort you are wasting a lot of "traveling" time by not just picking a park and sticking with it. I would either get the tickets to the party or pick an entirely different park to visit. I would also not waste time on TS meals if you want to have any kind of time in the parks to ride anything.

I am still not entirely clear on how long you will be there. Do you arrive, have one full day, and then leave the 3rd day or do you arrive, have 2 full days and then leave the 4th day? If you are there 4 days then I think you would be okay doing an arrival day dinner and a departure day breakfast as long as they are in a park to help give you more park time. However, I agree with the PP that it would make more sense to cancel dinner at Narcoossee and put that money toward party tickets. Keep in mind that you paid for Memory Maker so to get your money's worth you will want to have enough time in the parks to actually take some pictures.

I just skimmed most of this but since the question was asked on what I would do...

I would get into a cheaper resort, use that savings to make the trip longer looking for better flights that don't arrive so late or leave so early if possible. Then I would use the additional savings for spontaneous extras/snacks/things I didn't know about while there.

Maybe a stupid suggestion but since you used rewards to buy these passes, could you save the 3 day ones you have now and buy the 2 day ones that you actually need? As long as you haven't used the 3 day ones they are good anytime, right? I think I might take on the expense in order to not have the rushing feeling of trying to make every second count.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter