Help me decide between RPR & PBH

have2getaway

DIS Veteran
We stayed at both PBH and RPR on our last trip in January on a combined Universal/Disney trip. We are returning to Universal in February, but we are not combining with a Disney resort this time, although do plan to go to Disney for one or two days. DH does not want to move hotels at all this trip. We liked both hotels and were originally going to do RPR because it is less expensive. We are now considering doing club level and, for club level, PBH is less expensive. The standard room rate is still less at RPR. It will be me, DH, and our 3 boys who will all be 10. Here are our pros and cons so far for each resort:

RPR Pros:
—Newer rooms
—Nice layout for charging electronics
—Resort not as spread out as PBH
—We loved the pool and hot tub at Sapphire Falls, which were a quick walk
—Closer to Theme Parks
—Lijked the theming

RPR Cons:
—Smaller rooms and bathroom
—Pool was closed on our last trip so not able to compare that

PBH Pros:
—Larger Rooms & Bathroom
—Beautiful resort and I feel like we were there so few days we didn’t get to experience all it has to offer.
—Option to do Club Level is less expensive here and I have heard Club Level here is nice.
—Liked the theme

PBH Cons:
—Seemed too spread out (We had a hard time navigating around the hotel)
—Never used the pool so unable to compare
—Longer Distance from parks
—Not sure we will benefit enough from club level. Cost difference is $150 more per night.
—Outlets didn’t all work.
—Rooms seemed more dated.

I suppose Hard Rock could be an option, but the theming doesn’t interest us and the standard room rate is smack in the middle of the two, with club level being ridiculously more expensive here.

Where would you stay and why?

Here are my thoughts:

1. Given both have water taxi access to City Walk, personally, the difference in distance between the hotels and the parks isn't much of a factor. We tend to use the water taxis more than we will walk (we get enough walking at and between the parks.) :)
  2. I haven't yet stayed at SF, but for me, the hot tub at PBR with the water fall is by far my favorite hot tub. And note that PBR has 3 pools (each for a different taste.)
  3. I haven't had issues with outlets not working at PBR. For my stays, the rooms and service have been excellent. So I'm not sure I would choose one over the other on that basis.
  4. If you are thinking of Club access to reduce meal costs, while it is possible to do that (eat all your breakfasts and dinners there), my personal opinion is you would miss out on a lot of other much nicer meal options. But with that said, I sometimes splurge for club level (and my upcoming October trip I had a choice between a King suite at RPR or a Deluxe Club room at PBR. My daughter wanted PBR all the way. I like the lounge as I tend to get up earlier than everyone else. I can head down to the lounge, sit and read the paper, have a nice cup of tea, relax, etc without worrying about bothering everyone else. And it is nice to stop by for a coke or water after a morning of walking through the parks.
  5. Personally, I like the PBR club a bit better as I think the evening food offerings seem to be a bit more diverse and better. But at RPR the club rooms are mostly on the same floor and the same hotel wing with the lounge. So easy access. With PBR, the lounge is close to the check-in area and the rooms could be almost anywhere in the resort (but do note if you have a preference on room location you can ask at check-in. I've found them to be very accommodating when possible.) Also note that getting a club room at PBR comes with a Deluxe room instead of a base room. I think most of the extra room is in and around the bathroom area, but it is 490 sqft vs. 450 sqft for a base PBR room. And just for comparison, RPR rooms are normally 335 sqft.
  6. Of the 3 Premium hotels, I would rate the HRH's lounge the smallest and worst of the 3, but I only tried it once and that was a few years ago. So things could be different today and/or I could have just had an off trip.
Club level access really depends on what you will get out of it and for me, it is more than just a way to defray food costs. So you have to decide what you think you would get out of it and then decide.

Portofino. Big rooms, three pools, awesome surroundings.

Longer Distance from parks

Longer walk from IOA, but IMO you’re closer to Studios than walking from RPR there. I don’t recall if I’ve mapped it, though.

I only do club if the price makes sense for what we’ll use there. Which means that a park-centric trip and club don’t go together, to me.

Portofino. Big rooms, three pools, awesome surroundings.

Longer walk from IOA, but IMO you’re closer to Studios than walking from RPR there. I don’t recall if I’ve mapped it, though.

I only do club if the price makes sense for what we’ll use there. Which means that a park-centric trip and club don’t go together, to me.

Thank you! That’s what I’m struggling with. $150 per night more seems steep. We didn’t pay that out of pocket on food on our last trip.

Here are my thoughts:

1. Given both have water taxi access to City Walk, personally, the difference in distance between the hotels and the parks isn't much of a factor. We tend to use the water taxis more than we will walk (we get enough walking at and between the parks.) :)
  2. I haven't yet stayed at SF, but for me, the hot tub at PBR with the water fall is by far my favorite hot tub. And note that PBR has 3 pools (each for a different taste.)
  3. I haven't had issues with outlets not working at PBR. For my stays, the rooms and service have been excellent. So I'm not sure I would choose one over the other on that basis.
  4. If you are thinking of Club access to reduce meal costs, while it is possible to do that (eat all your breakfasts and dinners there), my personal opinion is you would miss out on a lot of other much nicer meal options. But with that said, I sometimes splurge for club level (and my upcoming October trip I had a choice between a King suite at RPR or a Deluxe Club room at PBR. My daughter wanted PBR all the way. I like the lounge as I tend to get up earlier than everyone else. I can head down to the lounge, sit and read the paper, have a nice cup of tea, relax, etc without worrying about bothering everyone else. And it is nice to stop by for a coke or water after a morning of walking through the parks.
  5. Personally, I like the PBR club a bit better as I think the evening food offerings seem to be a bit more diverse and better. But at RPR the club rooms are mostly on the same floor and the same hotel wing with the lounge. So easy access. With PBR, the lounge is close to the check-in area and the rooms could be almost anywhere in the resort (but do note if you have a preference on room location you can ask at check-in. I've found them to be very accommodating when possible.) Also note that getting a club room at PBR comes with a Deluxe room instead of a base room. I think most of the extra room is in and around the bathroom area, but it is 490 sqft vs. 450 sqft for a base PBR room. And just for comparison, RPR rooms are normally 335 sqft.
  6. Of the 3 Premium hotels, I would rate the HRH's lounge the smallest and worst of the 3, but I only tried it once and that was a few years ago. So things could be different today and/or I could have just had an off trip.
Club level access really depends on what you will get out of it and for me, it is more than just a way to defray food costs. So you have to decide what you think you would get out of it and then decide.

Thank you! I’m leaning towards Portofino. Our boys really liked both resorts and would be happy with either. I honestly think I would enjoy the extra space at PBR. That’s a good point about the extra space that club provides. We are used to traveling and staying in a two bedroom or suite, and can’t really afford to do that at Universal and have the express pass, so it’s definitely a valid consideration that the club room would offer a place to go for my DH and boys while Mom gets ready in privacy.

I wanted to stay at RPR last month, but PBR was cheaper, so we stayed there. Looking to book return trip and I have been told by hubby and boys that they want to go back to PBR. Didnt think the theming would appeal to them much. Knew my mom would like it. So I may never get to stay at RPR😂😂😂

I wanted to stay at RPR last month, but PBR was cheaper, so we stayed there. Looking to book return trip and I have been told by hubby and boys that they want to go back to PBR. Didnt think the theming would appeal to them much. Knew my mom would like it. So I may never get to stay at RPR😂😂😂

What ages are your boys and what did they like about PBR?

I hope you decided, and will enjoy whatever choice you made. For WIW, we like both, and will chose by cost. If they are very close in price, like 20 or so dollars, we would choose the PBR. We all like the bigger bathroom, and the decor of PBR is more our tastes.

I hope you decided, and will enjoy whatever choice you made. For WIW, we like both, and will chose by cost. If they are very close in price, like 20 or so dollars, we would choose the PBR. We all lie the bigger bathroom, and the decor of PBR is more our tastes.

Thank you! Right now, the price is more at Portofino, so I think we will stick with RPR unless the price drops on PBR, which it did on our last trip. Our boys are 10.

Glad you made a choice so far. And if in the summer, both will have movies beside the pool, so that might be a fun thing to do with your kids.

Last edited:
So many people talk about the PBH distance from the park. Not sure what distance is prohibitive for people, but this last trip I timed our group of 10 from Grandparents down to a stroller. From the PBH boat dock to the IOA entrance, it took us 21 minutes to walk it leisurely. That's without taking the HRH parking lot shortcut - and not even the mini shortcut through the butterflies. Obviously, the Studios entrance would be even less.

FWIW, I've read that the Portofino CL is the only one to offer a hot breakfast, and it has more options for the "appetizer/dinner" time. We stayed CL at the Polynesian over at WDW when ours were teens, and it was TOTALLY worth it; my husband and I would eat a quiet breakfast in the lounge while our teens slept a little longer - my clearest memory is when he and I walked through the resort on a stroll after breakfast, over to the lobby area, and cut through the WALL of noise in the quick breakfast service - kids crying; just a wall of noise. He and I gripped hands tightly, and walked quickly out. Back to the lounge for another leisurely coffee. We were SUPER glad about Club Level after that, and have talked about it since.

I did a lot of number crunching before we went, and figured that if the two of us each had two glasses of wine/beer, if we all ate breakfast there, and if we had one other stop-by for an app or dessert (and we did) then it was totally worth it. I recall their cappuccino machine. Having the extra space to relax was very helpful as well. We ended up needing to pick our daughter up 5 years ago on our 25th down in Sarasota, so my husband and I decided to do one night of club level at Animal Kingdom. We arranged it to have two full days at the resort, didn't do the parks at all, and had a wonderful time. Highly recommend Club Level. FWIW, depending on the time of year, I've read on this board that a few people during check-in have been offered to upgrade for $100 a night to Club Level.

I would stay away from PBH. I’m currently on my fourth day and housekeeping has only serviced the room once, and the quality of work is mediocre at best. I actually asked them to service the room a couple days ago and they said of course, but never came by. Rooms are dated, literally holes in some of the bedding. The resort is beautiful, we’ve had a couple decent meals, but for $500 a night I want a mattress that isn’t lumpy and I don’t want to have to ask them to clean my room. We’ve stayed at RPH a couple times and loved it.

Since you are still staying at the hotel, contact the front desk and ask that one of the hotel managers contact you

Things will be made right rather quickly

PBH has a high standard

I would stay away from PBH. I’m currently on my fourth day and housekeeping has only serviced the room once, and the quality of work is mediocre at best. I actually asked them to service the room a couple days ago and they said of course, but never came by. Rooms are dated, literally holes in some of the bedding. The resort is beautiful, we’ve had a couple decent meals, but for $500 a night I want a mattress that isn’t lumpy and I don’t want to have to ask them to clean my room. We’ve stayed at RPH a couple times and loved it.

I would say this is the exception and not the norm. Servicing is always done when you put the service please sign on the door.

We also had a bad experience at PBH last year so are staying at RPR this year. I did like the pizza place at PBH tho- awesome food. Just every day had something go wrong, housekeeping, door lock broke, moneys available to charge to room locked, just something every day. It was a pain calling the manager every day, so we chose RPR this time around. Had a great uneventful stay there a few years ago. I really wanted to love PBH but our last trip soured it for me... too bad. Maybe a few trips down the road we’ll try it again as most seem to have great experiences there. Ours was just a comedy of errors, and I do agree it looks dated.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter