Help me choose - minivan or premium car rental?

sksjasams

DIS Veteran
We are leaving on Tuesday for a drive from WI to TN for a school competition for DS11. My mom has generously offered to rent us a vehicle for the drive instead of 2003 Taurus.

I have arthritis in both knees and feet. We are looking for something very roomy and comfortable, and easy to drive. I am looking at Budget Car rentals and I think we are going to go with either a minivan or a premium car. They would be the same price. A luxury car is far more expensive, so I'm not considering that. The minivan would be either a Toyota Sienna or a Nissan Quest. The premium car would be either a Toyota Avalon or a Buick Lucerne.

Which style vehicle would you choose and which model would you request?

The clock is ticking and I can't make a decision! Please give me your opinion. Thank you in advance!!

Loooove the Sienna. It feels really roomy inside and is very comfortable. Never rented either of the premium cars, so I can't give you any feedback on those, sorry.

My dad has an Avalon. I don't particularly like it... I'd rather drive my mom's crossover. :confused3

For a trip, I think you'd be better off with the van. The Avalon is a big car, but it never feels quite big enough.

How many people are going?

I'd lean toward the minivan probably.

It's just three of us - DH, DS11 and me. Even so, I am leaning towards the van too.

I talked to Budget again. They said the Quest would likely come with a dvd player. The Sienna would be newer, but no dvd player. Not really a deal breaker either way, since we have a mini dvd player that DS can hold in his lap, he just thinks it would be cool to have one on a mounted screen. For me the seat comfort, leg room and handling are more important.

So, for those also saying minivan, which would you request...Nissan Quest or Toyota Sienna?

Thanks again!!

Another thing you might want to consider is the gas mileage of each of your options. Both cars will probably get better numbers than the minivans and over a long trip it could add up. I'm not sure that I would make my decision just based on the mileage, but it probably is something to think about.

I vote for the mini van but since I have a Dodge Grand Caravan, I can't help in the decision between the two. We have made four very long trips in our mini van and it was great!

My mom has hip problems and it is much easier for her to get in and out of my van. She only has to lift up a little getting in and then step down to get out. In a car, she would have to lift up to get out and that would not be easy on her. I would say you would experience the same. Do you have any trouble getting in and out of your Taurus?

mini van. You are up higher which to me, is important when trying to see around larger SUV's, not sure of seat configuration but if it is the Sienna and you can fold seats down, you have a variety of storage options, including primo placement of a cooler in the back for easy reaching. Loading/unloading...teh liftgate of a mini van is higher so there is less bending over into a deep trunk, I have a bad back so it is helpful. I would seewhich van has windows that slide down , not just the kind that pop out to the side, I imagine the rental is a 2006 or newer, so both shohuld have this option. Personally, I think the Sienna has less blind spots, but if you can, I would actually go over and see which you like better before you rent, or look them both up onlineand see if any info helps you out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter