Help! I need a new suitcase.

AdrienneP23

Earning My Ears
Okay, so our trusty suitcase has seen better days, and it is time for a replacement. We typically travel by Southwest to Disney twice a year (once for a long weekend and once for a week or two). My husband will have his own checked bag, and our kids (4 and 7) will be rolling their own carry on sized bags. I don’t know what size bag to purchase. A 29” bag seems so huge; I am afraid that I will go over the weight limit. However, I know I will be packing my stuff plus all of the family necessities in my bag, so it needs to be spacious. Any suggestions on size and/or specific bag will be much appreciated!

The Southwest carry-on size limit is 10 x 16 x 24 inches.

With SWA since you can check, size doesn't matter unless you want to carry on. I usually go to tjmaxx and pick up a bag. They do get beat up and only last so long. I use large zip bags to isolate and compress smaller clothing (t shirts and underwear). It makes unpacking easy. I wouldn't waste too much money on a designer bag that is more likely to get stolen. 50 lbs is the limit and when they weigh your bag, if you are over the limit, know what you will take out of your bag (shoes?) and put it in your kids carry on!

I am thinking about shipping a box to to the resort this year (USPS no weight limit on boxes you get at the post office). You send it to the resort with your name and "guest" on the box. I always overpack!

With SWA since you can check, size doesn't matter unless you want to carry on.

Southwest does have rules about the size of your checked bags. From the Southwest website:

"Southwest will accept the first two checked bags for free provided that the bags do not exceed 50 lbs and 62 inches (L+W+H). Overweight items from 51 to 100 pounds and oversized items in excess of 62 inches but not more than 80 inches will be accepted for a charge of $75.00 per item one-way. Only one $75.00 charge applies if the piece is both oversized and overweight, regardless of the weight as long as it does not exceed 100 lbs. Excess baggage which is also overweight or oversized will be charged excess baggage plus the applicable oversize or overweight charge."

https://www.southwest.com/html/customer-service/baggage/checked-bags-pol.html

I don't know about which sizes would be best for you, but Travelpro make great suitcases. They're on the expensive side, but they hold up to wear and tear, last forever, and have a great warranty if something does go wrong (for example, the clip on the interior strap snapped on one of mine, and they sent me an entire new suitcase).

Another vote for Travelpro. We have gotten great use out of ours on many, many trips. They are durable and withstand airline handling as well as can be expected.

As far as size goes, we went with the 26" size. We originally had the larger size but found that we wound up with a suitcase that was too heavy for us to handle comfortably.

I agree not too large ( I always ck our bags tho) as The dh tends to then Overpack. A no no for several reasons. I have different luggage for different uses lol. Disney luggage🥰 for our visits ( dare I say I LOVE the matching bags for carry on lol)
Tumi luggage (for certain trips) and mostly use Samsonite for stateside travel.
safe travels!

I ordered a 28" hard shell suitcase 2 years ago (American Tourister brand) since my old fabric one was looking pretty rough and I am so happy I did. We always fly Southwest and I do travel with a luggage scale just so we can double check when packing but I am never over weight. If I was it would be easy to grab the toiletries or other heavy items and switch it to my husband or son's bags (we also use packing cubes and each person has their own color making this part super easy). I find the hard shell is significantly more durable and don't find the 28" to be too large at all.

I ordered a 28" hard shell suitcase 2 years ago (American Tourister brand) since my old fabric one was looking pretty rough and I am so happy I did. We always fly Southwest and I do travel with a luggage scale just so we can double check when packing but I am never over weight. If I was it would be easy to grab the toiletries or other heavy items and switch it to my husband or son's bags (we also use packing cubes and each person has their own color making this part super easy). I find the hard shell is significantly more durable and don't find the 28" to be too large at all.

We have bought five sets (4 soft / 1 hard) of the Disney American Tourister and have been very happy with them. They seem durable, look great and make it glaringly obvious that your going to Disney... lol

Last year my trusty Ricardo of Beverly Hills suitcase finally died. I decided to go with a hard-sided one this time. I ended up going with the 26" Away brand (this is their "Medium" size). It's lighter weight than my previously mentioned soft-sided suitcase. I've done 3 trips to WDW with it since I got it and so far so good. They have a really good warranty, so that is one of the reasons I went with them.

My previously mentioned suitcase just had the 2 rolling wheels. I really wanted to stick with that concept, but it's really hard to find those anymore. The Away brand has the 4-wheel configuration. For the most part, it's been good. It just rolls a little harder when you are on carpeted surfaces.

Good luck with your decision!

I agree about Travelpro having good quality bags. There are several features that I look for, when luggage shopping.
  • 4 or 8-wheel spinner, so that it either can be pulled or rolled.
  • Nylon fabric over polyester. Nylon is stronger and will not pill like polyester will, eventually.
  • A handle or grip not only on the top and side, but on the bottom, as well, for easy grabbing, no matter what position the bag may be in. The bottom grip also makes it easier to lift the bag out of a car. This is a feature that many bags do not have and which many people do not know to look for. Once you have a bag with a handle grip on the bottom, you will never again want a bag without it.
The last Travelpro bag I bought was 26”, and it had all of the above features; that is a good size for each person on a one week trip. It was purchased at Nordstrom Rack, at a heavily-discounted cost from list. Marshall’s and T.J. Maxx also are good sources with good pricing, but the quality varies, and you need to check the specs on the hang tags to make sure the quality is as good as the looks.

Another good source for luggage can be Macy’s, when they have luggage on clearance and an extra discount offered.

Travelpro is used by most airline crews, day in and day out, and withstands lots of heavy use.

Last edited:
After the wheels on our suitcases failed we bought a set of Away luggage. They are super chic, lightweight, roll well and have held up well.
Our DD wanted her own Disney suitcase so she got the Minnie suitcase from American Tourister. Brand has a great reputation and she is excited to use it at the end of the month.

Attachments

• 87903329-C2E0-4BCD-823B-96AC3A697E6A.jpeg
    87903329-C2E0-4BCD-823B-96AC3A697E6A.jpeg
    50.8 KB · Views: 7
Wheeled luggage is a great feature when traveling. I would also look for a distinctive color if you fly a lot since most of the bags seems to be black or dark blue and it is easy for someone to grab the wrong bag at baggage claim.

Wheeled luggage is a great feature when traveling. I would also look for a distinctive color if you fly a lot since most of the bags seems to be black or dark blue and it is easy for someone to grab the wrong bag at baggage claim.
We always attach distinctive brightly-colored luggage tags to both the top and side handles of our bags. That not only deters someone else from mistakenly taking the wrong bag, but makes our bags more easily stand out for us to spot at baggage claim. Another benefit of attaching two tags was realized when one of the tags was ripped off, sometime between checking in and claiming the bags; the second luggage tag was still in place.

Marshall, Ross, TJ Maxx, BJ's, Sam's or Cosco are all good spots to pickup new luggage. Belk on black friday deals are pretty good if you are looking for a whole set.

I had to replace my luggage a two years ago and tried out a hard sided luggage, and I love them.. DH's luggage is now needing replacing so we are looking for hard sided for him as well..

I agree on the 2 luggage tags, I have bright robin egg blue ribbons tied on our checked bags, as well as on the carry on's... I picked up a couple of disney luggage tags somewhere, and put them on as well.. and have had good luck with them.

Upgraded our luggage in January to the Samsonite Chronolite Large Spinner and carry on. They are on clearance at the Samsonite website. Two trips so far and we like them. They are lightweight, Spinner wheels, retractable handle and TSA lock.

Away is having a 30% off sale right now. If you want to try one of these, this would be a great time to do it. :) It only goes through March 30, so you have to be quick!

I use a 28" Samsonite I got as part of a set from Sam's Club probably 6 or 7 years ago. I travel for business a few times a year and have to bring equipment with me. I am always right at the weight limit with that size. My wife and kids use 24" hardsides. Rarely have to worry about being overweight with those.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter