Help! I just went to the Dr. & the Dr. said...

dbarker

DIS Veteran
Hi. :wave2: I need help.

It all started at the Dentist's office. I went in for my semi-annual cleaning, and they took my blood pressure. They said BP was high. I went back to the dentist the next week and they took my BP twice while I was in there and it was high. They suggested seeing a MD. I did.

MD had me check my BP several times over the next two weeks. It was consistently high. They also did some blood work. My cholesterol is also high. MD says I need to be on a cholesterol reducing diet and I need to lose at least 20 lbs.

This is such a shock to me. I have never "dieted" before. I don't know what to do. I have cut out all fried foods, red meats, beans, fat. I am eating oatmeal (old fashioned, cooked) every morning. The only meat I eat is chicken or tuna. I only drink water. If I have to alter a food drastically, I would rather just do without it. Also, I have food allergies to corn, soy, barley & MSG.

I need suggestions for meal plans, etc. All suggestions are greatly appreciated. :worship:

Thanks in advance for all your help.

Hi. I too have been suffering from high bp. You didn't say how old you are? Some women start having problems with bp when they start the change. When I started the change my bp went up. With the okay from my doctor I changed my eating habits (no salt etc), I exercised, and even meditated. Nothing helped. I finally agreed to medication. Las t year as I entered the end of the change I even lost weight and my bp still went up. My female doctor told me that this is something that she sees all the time when women reach that age.

There is no shortcut or trick ... exercise is the key.

Start a walking program.

If you can't bear to be out in the heat become a mall walker.

Get a group of friends to do it with you or your family.

All you need is a good pair of walking shoes and some self-determination.

Walk at a pace that elevates your heart rate ... the mall mosey won't make you healthier.

Listen to music while you walk if you are alone ... makes the time go by faster and increases your pace naturally.

Good Luck!
I'll be thinking of you while I do my laps!

Thanks for the advice. I will be 45 on the 23rd of April. MD put me on meds and said to lose 20 lbs. I am 4'10" and 140 lbs. I have started walking at work--10:00 break; 3-4 times around the block (half of which is uphill) or about 15-20 min.; 2-3 times a week. Is there anything else I need to be doing?

How do you deal w/ cravings for food that are bad for you?

dbarker said:
How do you deal w/ cravings for food that are bad for you?

The key is not deprivation but moderation.

Typically, restaurants give you more food than you need to consume. If you go out to eat, drink several glasses of water before your meal arrives.

Eat a salad prior to your main course.

Chew slowly and relax.

If you don't eat all of your meal, don't take it home.

If the establishment is open for lunch as well as dinner, ask for the lunch portion, it is generally less food and less money.

Don't skip breakfast. Have some oatmeal or a bowl of cereal. I eat Smart Start and my kids now eat it too.

Buy snack size baggies and put some nut mix or grapes in them for a mid-morning and mid afternoon snack. Eating less at meal times but more often during the day increases your metabolism. The key is still moderation in your snacks.

Set goals and rewards for reaching those goals but do not punish yourself for setbacks, just get back on track knowing that setbacks may occur.

Hope this helps!

It is not easy but after a while it does get easier. In Jan I had to give up caffeine and chocolate. I thought I would go crazy but it has gotten a little easier until I looked at all the Easter candy in the store the other day and raealized that my basket will b empty this year. But I can go a couple of days without going crazy that I want it.

If you have food allergies in addition to the need to reduce cholesterol and weight, you need to run, not walk to a registered dietician....Your local hospital should have someone on staff, and most insurance companies will pay for at least an initial visit, especially for someone with your multiple issues. A nutritionist will help you gauge out the correct amount of calories for weight loss, and help you with ideas for reducing cholesterol as well as working around your allergies. Good Luck!!! :banana: :cool1: :cheer2:

P.S. I just found this on Central Texas Medical Center's website....

Nutrition

A registered dietitian works with your physician to ensure you receive appropriate nutritional care. The dietitian also provides patient education through physician referral or patient request. People wishing to pursue a healthier lifestyle can also schedule a consultation.

/ For a consultation with a registered dietitian, call 512-753-3622

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter