Help! I can't decide! Which vacation option would you choose? update page 3, dec 1st

You'd have to sedate me to get me into a trailer for a 24 hour drive. Plus, sleeping in close quarters with my child's boyfriend wouldn't appeal to me in the least.

You're right though that the offsite option comes with its own issues. Being held hostage each day to when you can get teens up and out the door would drive me crazy.
Right and that's the huge thing about staying onsite and letting the kids use the Disney transportation to do there own thing or meet up with us at different times. If we stay at Bonnet creek we would have a rental car and all leave for the day together and come back together. When we went to Montreal this summer with them there was times the teens weren't ready to head out for the day until 1:00 in the afternoon. Drove me crazy!!

Right and that's the huge thing about staying onsite and letting the kids use the Disney transportation to do there own thing or meet up with us at different times. If we stay at Bonnet creek we would have a rental car and all leave for the day together and come back together. When we went to Montreal this summer with them there was times the teens weren't ready to head out for the day until 1:00 in the afternoon. Drove me crazy!!
I would take offsite off the table. My friend has stayed offsite with her older kids a number of times and she goes crazy every. single. time. It's about her wanting to get to the parks, and them not wanting to wake up. Not a magical start to any day. SO much better to be onsite and come and go with Disney transportation.

But then again, I would not leave teenage girlfriend/boyfriend unsupervised in a hotel room either.

So back to square 1. At least it would be for me.

I know you said you went to Bonnet Creek for the extra room but you also said that would hinder the kids ability to come and go more freely. Why not look into 2 value rooms just for this trip. I can't see that being anymore cramped than a travel trailer would be. If that isn't an option I would choose option 2. If it were me I'd choose Christmas over Halloween anyway. I think it's a little more magical.
I do not agree with others saying to ditch the boyfriend. We've done Disney as well as other vacations with my oldest son's girlfriend when they were those ages. They were some of the best vacations we've had.

Just curious why you think the boyfriend would need a separate bathroom??? Doesn't make any sense to me at all.

Option 2 all the way. I'm not a big Halloween person. It does nothing for me. But I'm HUGE on Christmas.

I would personally do two rooms at a value over both of those choices.
Well I could stay at a two bedroom condo in Bonnet Creek for less then half the cost of two value rooms plus I'd have the benefit of the full kitchen. Either way if we stay in the trailer or condo we have a kitchen to use for morning meals and midnight snacks.

Well I could stay at a two bedroom condo in Bonnet Creek for less then half the cost of two value rooms plus I'd have the benefit of the full kitchen. Either way if we stay in the trailer or condo we have a kitchen to use for morning meals and midnight snacks.

I completely understand but I would think about the transportation. It wouldn't be an issue for me because I would tell my kids I'm leaving at X time so be ready or get left. We stay onsite and last trip I told them they could sleep in and meet us later but they never did that. They have no issue waking up at WDW. lol

I completely understand but I would think about the transportation. It wouldn't be an issue for me because I would tell my kids I'm leaving at X time so be ready or get left. We stay onsite and last trip I told them they could sleep in and meet us later but they never did that. They have no issue waking up at WDW. lol
We usually leave later then I'd like, we usually get to a park around 11:00-11:30 or so but we stay until closing time. We like the late nights in the park. At home my kids sleep past noon but when I'm at Disney I'll make them get up at 10:00.

If having the kitchen is important I would choose Bonnet Creek. I would be nervous driving that distance with a travel trailer. I've stayed offsite at other condos but never at Bonnet Creek, don't they have a shuttle to Disney from there? Maybe the kids could you that sometimes if they have one?

why does the bathroom situation matter at all?

Many people, including me, get used to bathroom situation with your own family (though I wish everyone could have their own, always), and to add someone else into the mix is weird.

I've taken this boy on vacation more then once before and slept in hotel rooms and the trailer with him, no big deal

Good info for the first post...

Definite vote for #2 -- My reasons for this is - you won't be driving. That is a long drive with the trailer. I think it is a bit risky -- you say it is 24 hours, but then factor in stops for gas, food and the unexpected flat tire - you probably could easily tack on a few more hours. October could be nice but Christmas time is truly magical. As for staying off site -- i would actually price out other onsite options just for ease of transportation and the benefits of staying on site for FP and getting a head start on dining reservations.

I know others have mentioned value resorts, but also consider a vacation club rental -- check out davids to price out a 1 or 2 Bedroom unit. This option would definitly have to be booked in January when you are 11 months out --it is a busy time for DVC, but the savings might be worth looking into when you can get a unit with a full kitchen and laundry.

Though I cringe at that long of a drive pulling a TT, the Fort would be awesome at Halloween. We went for a week Thanksgiving last year and are doing that again next year. Of course, we are driving from Atlanta so it's not so bad, but even that long of a drive with the TT stresses me to the max. It was worth it though. I want to go Halloween sometime in the future.

I would choose option 2. There is a lot to be said for Christmas in Disney, and that goes for all of the resorts, the Fort included. It is a fun spot.

Someone upthread mentioned renting DVC points, and that is an option, but keep in mind that DVC seasons are not the same as the resort seasons and it can be difficult to rent points for October and for parts of December If you are interested you should look into that earlier rather than later.

Many people, including me, get used to bathroom situation with your own family (though I wish everyone could have their own, always), and to add someone else into the mix is weird.

Good info for the first post...
Maybe weird for some but not for us. Like I said we've vacationed with him before. He stays at my house all the time, he uses the bathroom here, no big deal. Yes it's definitely nice to have more then one bathroom because we can get ready faster but it's not the end of the world and when we do camp in the trailer we take advantage of the comfort stations for showering so we can all get ready faster.

Both options sounds great. While the car ride down would be long and you might be sick of it after the summer, I like the trailer idea. We've done a lot of car camping and camping in general with lots of driving and with younger kids, not a big deal to me. I like having my own car and being in charge of where we go. Option 2 is good too and might afford you more downtime since you won't have to drive. If it's not a cost issue for you, I would say option 2 based on the dates you go. You'll enjoy it either way.

So I asked my youngest daughter what her thoughts were and she said she would much rather stay in the trailer and go for Halloween! She says she loves road trips and long drives and loves the trailer. My older daughter doesn't care one way or the other, I'm leaning more towards condo, my Dh is leaning more towards trailer but I know in the end I can make the final say and everyone will go along with what makes mom happy :) so still up in the air!

Last edited:
Having read the added posts by OP, I have changed my mind- I would do onsite if I was in this situation. We are the same way with our boys' girlfriends as in they are like family and we have no problem traveling with them. Your travel trailer sounds bigger than I expected too.

I think the transportation to and from parks would be the tipping point. With teens you never know what they'll feel like doing or when they'll feel like getting up or how late they'll want to stay up- honestly the same can be said for adults! I recently went as a chaperone for DS's high school band trip. Some kids were bright eyed and bushy tailed at the wake up call, others were dragging into breakfast at the last minute. Some of us parents were fine going all day and night, others were ready to head out at dinner time. It will be more fun as a vacation for all of you with this flexibility. Add in the fact that you can book fp's and adr's earlier and I think it's a win. I would definitely bring stuff to decorate your travel trailer for Halloween!

It sounds like you really want to go to Fort Wilderness so stick to your gut! Me I hate driving so I'd fly but everyone is different. We took my daughters boyfriend along one year and did an All Stars suite. Having the extra bathroom was great and my hubby and I had our own bedroom. The four kids shared the other room so no hanky panky went on lol

Another factor to consider is that October has become a very busy time of year vs. 2nd week in December. Staying on site in October vs. off site in December may even out your initial FP opportunities, but getting those 4th and more FPs will probably be easier in December...not impossible in October, but easier in December.

It is a tough call - I can see why you are struggling to make the decision! However, I think that staying in Fort Wilderness for Halloween would do it for me. Plus, I expect that the kids would really enjoy the MNSSHP. It is so much fun and you all get to dress up! Staying onsite is special for me as well. We have stayed off property and enjoyed the trips, but staying with Disney is so immersive - I can sacrifice a bit of space for the atmosphere. Also, the transportation is so much easier when it is provided by Disney and everyone can come and go when they are ready. It is easier for the teens to go off on their own for awhile and give Mom and dad a break. There are pre trip planning advantages with ADR's and FP+ when staying onsite, which are so nice. The consistently warmer weather is also a plus for swimming in particular.
Staying in Fort Wilderness has so many activities that would be appealing to try as well as the theme parks. I know that Bonnet Creek is an awesome value, but i would find it difficult to pass on a Halloween trip to the Fort!!!

Either way, it sounds like a wonderful holiday!!! Enjoy!

ETA: FWIW, my kids (now grown with littles of their own) prefer the Halloween to the Christmas time. It is a lot of fun for teens/young adults. I'd save Christmas for another trip, perhaps the following year!!

1. Do you (and kids and DH) prefer Halloween or Christmas?

2. Long travel time is of course a factor. Sounds like this does not bother you as much as it would others - your DH is used to driving for long hours and so is the rest of the family.

3. Tight quarters. Given that you have vacationed in the trailer multiple times before, you all fit just fine. Although more space is of course nice :)

4. Something new. You all love camping and the Fort is alleged to be the best campground ever. Might be a very cool experience especially at Halloween when everything is decorated.

5. Less days at the Fort vs more days at Bonnet Creek. Also consider that you will lose time setting and and taking down the trailer. And may want a bit more downtime to enjoy the campground (maybe this will save money if you buy tickets with fewer days?)

6. Flexibility for kids. I have to say - the flexibility to let older kids do their own thing is such a massive perk of staying onsite.

I'd go with the Fort.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter