HELP! Has anyone been able to use gov discount for Swan for 2004?

ladyjayhawk

DIS Veteran
Two nights ago I called customer service to check on rates and availability for the Swan using a government employee rate for February 2004. I was told it was $144 a night and there were plenty of rooms left. I did not book then because I needed to double check with DH that we were definitely going (he has a conference). I called back tonight and was told that the government rate was not available for that time because it had not been determined yet! The rate would not be available until December or January. The prices were now $300 - $400 a night. The CM I talked to said that I must have been told what the price was last year but I insisted that the rep I talked with checked my dates and told me the rate was available for those nights. She checked with her supervisor but couldn't help me. Has anyone been able to book for anytime in 2004 with the government rate? I also asked about the teacher rate and she said that the school had to be contracted with Starwood and of course we weren't. Has anyone heard of this either? Did I really mess up by not booking that night (I wasn't even for sure about the nights and if DH was definitely going)? Oh, I feel just awful.

I got the teacher rate for President's week, 2004. I think you should just call back and speak to someone else or perhaps even management. They have a toll free number so that you can call back frequently. Also you could check the s/d website.

Hope this helps!

Joanne
:D

The Starwood hotel web site no longer shows the nurse, teacher, or government rates either. Maybe they had such a great response and no longer need to offer discounts. :(

One big lesson to be learned here, and one *I* always forget is to *always* ask the question "And whom am I speaking to?"

This way you can ask for the same CM who quoted you those rates.

Usualy I am way too preoccupied with the business at hand to ask that question, and then I always regret not asking.

I did a week ago for a May/June 2004 trip. I tried to get the Dolphin but they said the rate was sold out. I didn't ever get a confirmation so I called again today and they just faxed it over. However, when I called this time, the girl said the Dolphin would be $144 then as well after they got done with the renovation. I'm not sure if we were understanding each other or not but that was what I thought she said.

LadyJayhawk--I'm so sorry that your having problems. Hopefully, you can just talk to another CM to clear it up. The other option is to call the Starwood 800 number or go through Dreams Unlimited. I know when I made my ressie with the Dolphin, I mentioned that I had to check with my husband, too, and the CM convinced me to reserve it at that rate and I could change with the 5-day cancellation policy.

Ok, bright and early this morning I called Starwood reservations again and was given the same answer: those rates are no longer available. But this time the explanation made more sense. The CM said that there had probably been enough reservations made for the week I wanted so the management decided that it no longer needed to offer the discounts. I understood but was very disappointed. I then checked the web site again and saw that not only were the rates not available for my stay but it looks like they are not available for any time in the future. Finally, I decided to call the hotel itself just to find out if the hotel was full the end of Feb. and when exactly the rates had been discontinued. The very nice man I spoke with didn't know why I could not get the government rate using central reservations or the web site, he hadn't been notified of any changes (it is the weekend though). So he checked my dates and could get me the $144/night! YEA!! So I grabbed it as quickly as I could this time. :bounce: :bounce:

Thank you to everyone that suggested I keep calling. And if any of you are planning a trip to the Swan/Dolphin anytime soon, I would recommend calling the hotel directly as soon as possible before their computers get updated to match Starwood.

Claudia, you are right, it is usually a good idea to get the rep's name. I did get it the first time I called but the other reps said it didn't matter, there are too many people that work their phones and they couldn't transfer me to her.

I reserved through the hotel directly earlier this month but I could still only get 3 of my 6 days the 3rd week of March 2004 at the gov't rate. They said they had a convention the beginning of the week. At that time they were still booking at 129.:cool:

I booked about a month or so ago, then about 2 wks later called and added an extra day and had no problem. I just looked online at my reservation and it says I have the gov't rate. So at one time they did have it. I haven't cold called to see if it is still available for those dates, but I do know that it was at one point. Maybe they are just sold out, or not allowing that many? I'd keep trying.

Lady Jayhawk--I'm so glad everything worked out. I sure did enjoy that rain shower today!!

I have a fed gov rate at the Dolphin for 12/31 (1 night). $129, plus the resort fee and tax.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter