Help! Disneyland Attraction Drops... can someone give me an order of intensity?

Kate16428

Earning My Ears
Hi. I’m planning my first trip to Disneyland. And, I hate ride “drops” that make my stomach flutter. Would someone be willing to rank the attractions for me, from least to most intense drops? I can handle the drop on WDW POTC, but not sure if I can handle the two drops on Disneyland’s POTC. I hate to miss out on the ride theming if it’s something I could do, but don’t want to end up dizzy and sick. A ranking would help me ease into things and stop when it gets too intense. Thanks!

I hate drops! Pirates is totally fine for me. Most intense is Guardians. I did it once because I wanted to experience the ride and it’s a great ride but I won’t do it again because I just don’t like that feeling!

Star Tours is probably the only other ride that gets me in terms of drops/that feeling in your tummy.

On the other hand, Incredicoaster doesn’t bother me one bit because it’s not “drops” in fact it’s one of my favorite rides!

There are two drops in DL's PotC attraction; I tend to feel that the second drop in DL's PotC is on par with the drop in MK's PotC. The first drop at DL is longer. Is MK's PotC about the limit of what you can handle?

All of the thrill rides have "drops" (in the sense that the ride vehicle has a downward motion). I tend to think that Big Thunder, Matterhorn, and Space are pretty similar in terms of intensity and on par with the WDW counterparts (when applicable). Incredicoaster has an inversion and drops (not vertical drops, but sudden ups and downs like most coasters). Splash and Grizzly both have drops (you can see the biggest ones from outside the attraction). Guardians is essentially Tower of Terror, so it's a bunch of straight up and down drops. Goofy's Sky School has one pretty major drop (I think the drop is more intense than anything on BTMRR, Matterhorn, or Space). Gadget's Go Coaster has a mild drop (it's a roller coaster geared for little kids - think Barnstormer in MK). RSR has a few ups and downs during the race, but it's pretty mild.

0. MK's PotC
1. DL's PotC
2. Gadget's Go Coaster/RSR
3. Big Thunder/Matterhorn/Space
4. Splash/Grizzly
5. Goofy's Sky School
6. Guardians (think Tower of Terror)

Guardians is definitely going to be your ride to avoid. Technically, it's not even a free-fall, but rather a powered descent in which you will drop faster than gravity alone would make you! Personally, I love it, but I don't think I'd recommend it you you, OP.

Also, Splash Mountian obviously has a big drop. I wouldn't worry too much about POTC. There are two at DL, but they are small, like the one in MK. If you could see them with the lights on you'd be amazed at how small they are.

Last edited:

The first POTC drop at DL is not like the MK one imho. Definitely a bit more intense/bigger.

I pretty much agree with @Malcon10t . Imho POTC DL drop is more intense than the RSR hills. Nice part about RSR is you can watch the hill part before you get in line to determine if you’re cool with it.

Last edited:
Motion sickness is a very individualized sport LOL!!

I did all kinds of research when I braved the Harry Potter rides at Universal in Orlando in May 2017. What gets some doesn't get others. For me, the worse ride at DLR is Star Tours. I just can't do it. However, Gaurdians is my new favorite - but if you don't like the stomach drop, then that's the one to avoid.

Incredicoaster was iffy for me because of the upside down. I did it with my eyes closed because I LOVE the theming.

Biggest thing I discovered when I was researching motion sickness was generic non-drowsy Dramamine. It is called
Meclizine HCl - 25 mg
and you can get it generically for cheap at Walgreens - I got mine at King Soopers (Kroger) grocery store. I use it when I cruise also. Take one in the am with food, and you're good for the day. Try it before your trip on a random day, don't assume it will knock you out - it doesn't. It really is a game changer for me - try it! (Ginger pills help also)

Last edited:
If you're concerned about POTC, I would automatically rule out Splash, Guardians, Goofy, and Incredicoaster - all of those have drops that are distinctly more intense than Pirates. The remaining rides that have drops you might want to take on a case-by-case basis. Here are some in more-or-less mild to intense order:

Matterhorn - jostles you around a lot, but there aren't many distinct dropping moments. Mostly just bumps.

Pirates - I have never been to WDW so I can't compare it to the one you know, but like others have said there are two drops instead of one. Both drops are at the beginning of the ride so if you can make it through you will have a nice long ride to enjoy after.

Big Thunder - most of the ride involves quick turns, but there are a couple of little drops. Ask to sit in the front to make the dropping sensation less intense (you won't pick up speed until you're most of the way past a drop because the weight of the rest of the train will be holding you back).

Space Mountain - there is only one noticeable drop that comes to mind, and it's pretty small, but it's in the dark so you can't see it coming. It might help to learn when it's coming (which is easier when the ride is themed, so it depends on when you're going). This ride feels faster than it is due to the darkness, so consider that if speed in addition to drops is an issue.

Grizzly River Run - these drops aren't very fast and for me personally they don't produce that sinking feeling. You might want to watch the ride from the various viewing areas before deciding. Keep in mind you may go down these hills backwards or spinning, but you can generally see them coming.

Radiator Springs - most of the ride is fine but there are three hills toward the end of the racing segment which make my stomach sink. If you can tolerate a brief section of drops for the sake of the rest of the ride, it's a good one.

I am in the same boat. I hate the stomach drop feeling and will avoid them at all costs. So I am happy to give my opinion.

I do not like the drops on PoTC but I never miss the ride. I have to tense up before each drop and it is still rough for me. I was suckered into going on the Jurassic Ride at Universal and it was absolutely awful (I know that it's not DL, but for reference cause it is a longer drop but not as steep as Splash). I am way too scared to try Splash, Guardians, Space, or the Indcredicoaster.

The little roller coaster in Toon town is a freaking ball and we will go in it over and over. Thunder mountain and Matterhorn are both great for me. I get no drop feeling on any of these. I actually didn't go on Thunder for the first time until my last trip (at age 35) and I now I am quite upset with myself that I refused to go on it my whole childhood :)

I am shocked with how fun Grizzly is.. sometimes I get a very small twinge on the drop but nothing that stops me from going on it.

I wasn't prepared for the small drop on RSR the first time. But like Grizzly, it really doesn't give me enough of a feeling to stop going on it.

Hope that helps :)

Its really rather personal to each person. I hate drops. Pirates, Matterhorn, big thunder, and space don't bother me. Splash is horrible and the ride isn't worth it to me to brave the drop. Indy has a drop that I hate but it's more visual than real and I love the ride so I tolerate it. The race in radiator springs at the end did my mom in. Its like going over three giant "dips" in a street with no break in between. But again, the ride is beyond amazing and worth the temporary ill it causes. But really what you need to know is goofys sky coaster will kill you. The almost falling off the edge thing on that ride is worse than drops. And it happens over and over again.

Motion sickness is a very individualized sport LOL!!

I did all kinds of research when I braved the Harry Potter rides at Universal in Orlando in May 2017. What gets some doesn't get others. For me, the worse ride at DLR is Star Tours. I just can't do it. However, Gaurdians is my new favorite - but if you don't like the stomach drop, then that's the one to avoid.

Incredicoaster was iffy for me because of the upside down. I did it with my eyes closed because I LOVE the theming.

Biggest thing I discovered when I was researching motion sickness was generic non-drowsy Dramamine. It is called
Meclizine HCl - 25 mg
and you can get it generically for cheap at Walgreens - I got mine at King Soopers (Kroger) grocery store. I use it when I cruise also. Take one in the am with food, and you're good for the day. Try it before your trip on a random day, don't assume it will knock you out - it doesn't. It really is a game changer for me - try it! (Ginger pills help also)
YAZZZ! Meclizine (brand name Bonine) changed. My. Life. Nothing ever worked for me until I tried Bonine. And the only side effect is potential drowsiness if you drink, although I’ve not experienced that even when I do drink. (Dramamine & ginger never worked for me. FYI Dramamine is actually a different drug than Meclizine.)

And we are all so different- I can Star Tours with my meds but not GOTG lol. Tried it once- never again even though I took my meds! Which is too bad, never had issues on ToT.

Last edited:
Its really rather personal to each person. I hate drops. Pirates, Matterhorn, big thunder, and space don't bother me. Splash is horrible and the ride isn't worth it to me to brave the drop. Indy has a drop that I hate but it's more visual than real and I love the ride so I tolerate it. The race in radiator springs at the end did my mom in. Its like going over three giant "dips" in a street with no break in between. But again, the ride is beyond amazing and worth the temporary ill it causes. But really what you need to know is goofys sky coaster will kill you. The almost falling off the edge thing on that ride is worse than drops. And it happens over and over again.
Goofy’s Sky School is the only ride I will 100% never do again for any reason. I don’t care if I have kids someday and they beg until the cows come home it isn’t happening with me! Horrible, awful ride!

There are two drops in DL's PotC attraction; I tend to feel that the second drop in DL's PotC is on par with the drop in MK's PotC. The first drop at DL is longer. Is MK's PotC about the limit of what you can handle?

All of the thrill rides have "drops" (in the sense that the ride vehicle has a downward motion). I tend to think that Big Thunder, Matterhorn, and Space are pretty similar in terms of intensity and on par with the WDW counterparts (when applicable). Incredicoaster has an inversion and drops (not vertical drops, but sudden ups and downs like most coasters). Splash and Grizzly both have drops (you can see the biggest ones from outside the attraction). Guardians is essentially Tower of Terror, so it's a bunch of straight up and down drops. Goofy's Sky School has one pretty major drop (I think the drop is more intense than anything on BTMRR, Matterhorn, or Space). Gadget's Go Coaster has a mild drop (it's a roller coaster geared for little kids - think Barnstormer in MK). RSR has a few ups and downs during the race, but it's pretty mild.

0. MK's PotC
1. DL's PotC
2. Gadget's Go Coaster/RSR
3. Big Thunder/Matterhorn/Space
4. Splash/Grizzly
5. Goofy's Sky School
6. Guardians (think Tower of Terror)

Thank you for this list! I’m hoping maybe I can get up to Matterhorn, but guess I’ll start with DL POTC and see how it goes!

If you're concerned about POTC, I would automatically rule out Splash, Guardians, Goofy, and Incredicoaster - all of those have drops that are distinctly more intense than Pirates. The remaining rides that have drops you might want to take on a case-by-case basis. Here are some in more-or-less mild to intense order:

Matterhorn - jostles you around a lot, but there aren't many distinct dropping moments. Mostly just bumps.

Pirates - I have never been to WDW so I can't compare it to the one you know, but like others have said there are two drops instead of one. Both drops are at the beginning of the ride so if you can make it through you will have a nice long ride to enjoy after.

Big Thunder - most of the ride involves quick turns, but there are a couple of little drops. Ask to sit in the front to make the dropping sensation less intense (you won't pick up speed until you're most of the way past a drop because the weight of the rest of the train will be holding you back).

Space Mountain - there is only one noticeable drop that comes to mind, and it's pretty small, but it's in the dark so you can't see it coming. It might help to learn when it's coming (which is easier when the ride is themed, so it depends on when you're going). This ride feels faster than it is due to the darkness, so consider that if speed in addition to drops is an issue.

Grizzly River Run - these drops aren't very fast and for me personally they don't produce that sinking feeling. You might want to watch the ride from the various viewing areas before deciding. Keep in mind you may go down these hills backwards or spinning, but you can generally see them coming.

Radiator Springs - most of the ride is fine but there are three hills toward the end of the racing segment which make my stomach sink. If you can tolerate a brief section of drops for the sake of the rest of the ride, it's a good one.
Thank you so much for taking the time to share this info! I had already guessed Splash, Guardians, and Incredicoaster would be too much, but didn’t realize Goofy’s would be rough. Good to know!

I am in the same boat. I hate the stomach drop feeling and will avoid them at all costs. So I am happy to give my opinion.

I do not like the drops on PoTC but I never miss the ride. I have to tense up before each drop and it is still rough for me. I was suckered into going on the Jurassic Ride at Universal and it was absolutely awful (I know that it's not DL, but for reference cause it is a longer drop but not as steep as Splash). I am way too scared to try Splash, Guardians, Space, or the Indcredicoaster.

The little roller coaster in Toon town is a freaking ball and we will go in it over and over. Thunder mountain and Matterhorn are both great for me. I get no drop feeling on any of these. I actually didn't go on Thunder for the first time until my last trip (at age 35) and I now I am quite upset with myself that I refused to go on it my whole childhood :)

I am shocked with how fun Grizzly is.. sometimes I get a very small twinge on the drop but nothing that stops me from going on it.

I wasn't prepared for the small drop on RSR the first time. But like Grizzly, it really doesn't give me enough of a feeling to stop going on it.

Hope that helps :)
That is helpful! Thank you! I think you convinced me to try the toon town spin ride :)

I'm just adding for Matterhorn. There are two separate tracks. The track on the Tomorrowland side is considered slightly more intense and there is a small, but steep drop on that side. The Fantasyland side does not have that drop, so if you go on Matterhorn go on the Fantasyland side.

I dislike the feeling in my tummy going on certain drops. I've discovered that if I curl up like a boiled shrimp and tighten my abdominal muscles right before the drop, I don't feel that sensation at all. It may work for you as well. Really clench that tummy!

Edited to add: Also, I keep my mouth tightly closed on the drops on Pirates, because there is potential for water to splash and I really don't want it in my mouth. So, tight tummy clench and clamped-shut mouth.

Star Tours has never bothered me and I have a very weak stomach. None of the "mountains" except Splash have a drop that has ever bothered me. POTC doesn't even really get to me.

I have never been on Incredicoaster due to my fears, however I have been on every other ride (including Splash and GOTG)

GOTG is definitely the worst but oh man, is it fun.
Splash is 2nd worse IMO. I have no desire to ride that one again.
I will probably ride Incredicoaster at some point just so that I can say I've been on EVERY ride.

Goofy’s Sky School is the only ride I will 100% never do again for any reason. I don’t care if I have kids someday and they beg until the cows come home it isn’t happening with me! Horrible, awful ride!
LOL I normally keep my eyes open on rides. I can keep my eyes open on Guardians, Incredicoaster, Space, etc. But Goofy's I have to close them or else I feel like I'm going to fall off.

Does Goofy's have a drop? I can't find info on the internet so I could compare it to the PoTC drop (as I do with all rides since I know I can handle it)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!