Help disabled questions?

flrickd

Mouseketeer
We will be on the Fantasy in Aug. I'am disabled and can not walk far, I could not get a handicapped cabin. I use a scooter and cane to get around a lot, with the step up for the cabin door it would be really tough to get in and out with the scooter, does anyone know if I can put it somewhere else? Also we have an aft cabin right on the very back of the ship so we shouldn't get much foot traffic.

Others will answer better but I know my last two cruises people left them just outside their door.

The hallways are not very wide. Two people can pass each other, but that's it. If anyone has a stroller, they will have a challenging time getting past. Also, the stateroom hosts use carts to keep everything they need to service the rooms. That is more than half the width. We have always seen them parked in the open area by the stairs, but honestly never in the hallway. There are outlets there so they can be charged also.

We will be on the Fantasy in Aug. I'am disabled and can not walk far, I could not get a handicapped cabin. I use a scooter and cane to get around a lot, with the step up for the cabin door it would be really tough to get in and out with the scooter, does anyone know if I can put it somewhere else? Also we have an aft cabin right on the very back of the ship so we shouldn't get much foot traffic.

There isn't usually a step-up from the hallway into the cabin itself, but into the bathrooms there is; however the doorways may not be wide enough for the ECV. There are other staterooms designed as H/A but not officially noted as such. Any chance you were able to get one of these? I believe the 8A's (at least most) were originally designed as H/A, and I think there is another category or two. If you let us know your stateroom number, people might have more specific suggestions. The hallways are tight, anyone with a wheelchair, ECV or stroller will not be able to pass if you park in the hallway, as well as impeding the stateroom host's cart.

Enjoy your cruise!

We had 9670 on the Dream which was not stated as a HA cabin, but it almost was (ramps, wet room, wardrobe thingymejig!).

I would echo what others have said about wheelchairs or ECVs in the corridors .. They will ask you to move it as its a fire hazard .. As in, people cannot freely pass it, not that it may catch fire!!
There are charging outlets just by each bank of elevators so hopefully not too far for you to walk with a cane.

... There are charging outlets just by each bank of elevators so hopefully not too far for you to walk with a cane.

Or maybe another member of your party would be willing to drive it back to the elevator area after you get to your stateroom. And then retrieve it for you when ready to go out.

Enjoy your cruise!

Hopefully your room is near the elevators. Easiest thing to do is leave it parked right near the elevators/stairs and walk to your room, Disney will also lend you a wheelchair for the length of the cruise if needed. The doorways to cabins are extremely narrow. We would have to stop outside of our room, assist my son into the room, get him comfy and then bring his wheelchair in once folded. The hardest obstacle will be the tight restrooms and stepping into and out of the shower. Lucky for us, the Wonder has handheld showerheads in all showers, not just handicapped. I will tell you that Disney will do their best to accommodate you and it is better to sail non-handicapped with Disney than handicapped with anyone else. Have a magical cruise:thumbsup2

Where are the scooters parked on the Costa Concordia? I think everyone should consider how they would survive a similar event.

-Paul

My mother has used a scooter and sometimes had to park in the hall in a small alcove. The halls are tight and we had issued with people spilling things on it and leaving their garbage on it. They will not fit through regular doors

Where are the scooters parked on the Costa Concordia? I think everyone should consider how they would survive a similar event.

-Paul

Well Paul, my power wheelchair stay behind. It is my understanding that Disney knows I use a wheelchair thus can not do stairs. I have asked that very question. I believe that crew are there to assisted those who need help. I also believe in the goodness of man kind that would help carry me if needed. So my hubby would carry me as much as he could but I do think others would help. Just like 911 a few men carried a gal stuck on a floor and the men carried her down many many flights of stairs.

I also know my chair is covered under my house insurance as it is worth 13,000.

I believe many people who use mobility devices are actually more than aware of all that could go wrong when they travel. They can not think like if I miss this I will just grab a taxi. They have to really plan out many options of what ifs. I make a list of mobility dealers where ever a travel just in case I have a problem.

If it is a small gogo travel scooter it should fit through the doors. Even if you have to get off and push it. If it is tight you could do a few things, take off the arm rests. If you are worried about leaving it in the hall way you could take it apart. Like you would to put it in a car. If it will not fit through the door.If your scooter is too big you might consider renting a travel scooter from a company in Orlando, Many will deliver to the cruise ship and pick it up after the cruise.

Check the disability forum on dis. :) Hope that helps. :grouphug:

If you decide to see about renting something (regular wheelchair or powered) I would highly recommend Brevard Medical. They deliver directly to the Disney Cruise terminal and will pickup from there after you return.

We have used them several times (regular wheelchairs only) but they were always helpful in advising what worked best of the cruise ships and offering suggestions.

Their website is http://www.brevardmedicalequip.com/

And any chance you could get on a wait list for any HC room that comes available? I only suggest that due to the fact that once 45 days out we had to cancel (reschedule) a cruise for a HC room.

Thanks everybody, I am right by the elevator under topsiders or what ever it's called on the Fantasy. And yes I have a GoGo with the armrests always off. Getting excited not much longer to go. Again Thanks for all the info! pixiedust:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter