Help deciding home resort BWV vs AKV

Redsred3

Mouseketeer
We are looking to purchase a DVC resale contract. We recently did a split stay at AKL and BWV. I thought it might help us decide, but really we are still torn. My daughter (17) and I preferred BWV and I love that they are finally doing a renovation and the location can’t be beat. Also tons of great food options. But ideally we would want to go in February again, and I know that might be hard to get between being inside 11 months now, and rooms being closed off for renovations. My husband and son (7) liked AKL better. It feels like a get a way vacation, where they could wander around or enjoy the pool. Secluded and immersive. But personally for our kids, the food options weren’t the best. But seeing animals every day can’t be beat. I’m inclined to buy BWV but the 2042 date really bothers me. We will probably only go every other year or so, so only having 19 or less years on the contract doesn’t seem great. I love the idea of taking my kids families when they have kids. AKL has some great deals right now, and I know atleast half my family prefers it. But I also know it’s pretty easy to book at 7 months, so the advantage for having it be our home resort vs BWV is the contract year. For reference, we would mostly be looking to book one bedrooms.

Help me decide! I’ve been going back and forth for weeks. It feels like such a big expense/commitment, I don’t want to pick the wrong one. And I want to strike while the pricing is in my favor!

That's a tough one - especially when one half of your family prefers one over the other. I'm biased as we own at AKV but given the longevity of the contract, I would choose AKV. I absolutely love BWV too so I feel your pain. If you want to book there, you really need to own there (BWV), AKV is easy to book unless you want to try for the value rooms or concierge - both extremely difficult to get. We did manage to get a 1 bedroom value last September but we did have to do a bit of walking however, it wasn't that difficult to be honest. If you only travel every other year (btw that is what my DH and I do and we only book 1 bedrooms too), I would lean in favour of the longer contract as you will only get about 9 visits to BWV before it expires vs. approx. 17 at AKV. This is such a tough call but I have a hard time with those expiry 2042 expiry dates.

We have stayed at and loved BWV, but when it came time to buy points (in addition to VGF) it was at AKV.

That said, once VDH goes on sale there is a reasonable chance that we will start looking for a good price on a BWV contract!

What type of lodging would you book at AKV and is it something that historically has been available within a 7-month window
when you normally travel?

With current resale pricing opportunities and the lack of ROFR, can’t beat that 2057 expiration. AKV is the pick. Seize the moment. There will be plenty of opportunities to switch out at 7 months for a one bedroom at BWV (and even BCV).

What type of lodging would you book at AKV and is it something that historically has been available within a 7-month window
I was going to ask the same question. BWV can fill up very quickly especially during big festival times at Epcot like Food & Wine. If it's easier to secure a reservation at 7 months out at AKV, I personally would go with BWV. It really just depends on what your personal preferences are but I always tell everyone that asks me about DVC to buy where you want to stay the most. We've been BWV owners for over 20 years and love the close proximity to Epcot and the Studios as well as numerous dining options at BWV, Swan/Dolphin, and Yacht/Beach. I wouldn't let the BWV renovation deter you as all resorts have limited availability at some point over the years due to required renovations.

We have stayed at and loved BWV, but when it came time to buy points (in addition to VGF) it was at AKV.

That said, once VDH goes on sale there is a reasonable chance that we will start looking for a good price on a BWV contract!
Curious, what is the correlation between VDH going on sale and you thinking you will may look for BWV then?

Most likely 1 bedrooms either way. But SV if at AKV. We would do any view at BWV as I know standard view is harder.

I was going to ask the same question. BWV can fill up very quickly especially during big festival times at Epcot like Food & Wine. If it's easier to secure a reservation at 7 months out at AKV, I personally would go with BWV. It really just depends on what your personal preferences are but I always tell everyone that asks me about DVC to buy where you want to stay the most. We've been BWV owners for over 20 years and love the close proximity to Epcot and the Studios as well as numerous dining options at BWV, Swan/Dolphin, and Yacht/Beach. I wouldn't let the BWV renovation deter you as all resorts have limited availability at some point over the years due to required renovations.
We went in February this year and really enjoyed it. Would love to go Feb next year too, but seems BWV might not be available for us during that time, if we go that route. But honestly we aren’t picky. I am usually trying to find “low” crowd times, and just let me kids miss a few days of school.

We went in February this year and really enjoyed it. Would love to go Feb next year too, but seems BWV might not be available for us during that time, if we go that route. But honestly we aren’t picky. I am usually trying to find “low” crowd times, and just let me kids miss a few days of school.
Personal opinion, but I would go with what you and the older daughter want for the home resort.

I’d get a loaded Feb UY like this: https://www.dvcstore.com/listing-detail.cfm?ID=BW200-02-0522-1 and sell off the banked points (and possibly the 2023 points) to help reduce the “buy in”. $127pp is asking, less $18pp to rent out a years worth of points brings the net buy down to $109pp with a very friendly point chart in a newly renovated resort with great walking access to 2 parks.

You can always book a 1BD SV @ AKL if desired at 7-months to keep the guys happy.

The Jan 2042 contract will last until you son turns 24/25 and your daughter turns 34/35.

Curious, what is the correlation between VDH going on sale and you thinking you will may look for BWV then?
Basically waiting to see how much we will be spending on VDH before adding points anywhere else. Plus watching to see if BWV prices drop a little more. Right now they are running a little higher than we would be willing to spend for a 2042 resort.

Basically waiting to see how much we will be spending on VDH before adding points anywhere else. Plus watching to see if BWV prices drop a little more. Right now they are running a little higher than we would be willing to spend for a 2042 resort.

I'm with you on the BWV front. Tough to offer when they are above $100 pp but if lower then may be worth it.

Have you been able to book Boardwalk lately? Availability at 11months is almost impossible to book

I'd generally avoid the 2042 contracts. Traveling every other year, you're looking at only getting about 9 trips over the life of the contract, and then having zilch. It could be cheaper to just book cash rooms / rent points if you truly want BWV.

Particularly if your family prefers AKV, I'd go there. It's not just that the contract is longer for more trips -- Let's say that regardless of which home resort, you really only want to take vacations through 2042 -- Well, in January 2042, BWV expires -- But you'd still probably be able to sell AKV for a pretty penny.

So purely on the math, I'd go with AKV. While I wouldn't make a decision solely on the math -- If your family is torn anyway between the resorts, and AKV is a much much better value...

Since you are booking 1BR off peak, you don't need either. Just buy SAP.

AKL 1BR is easy to book, way after 7 months, and BW isn't that hard. 1BR AKL savanna is one of the easier rooms to book in the whole system. The 1BR BW is the room I have booked the most in DVC, and I don't own BW. And if BW is booked one year, you do AKL that year. And paying more for BW points would make me feel locked into BW. With SSR points, maybe you try BC or GF or BLT this year.

It's hard to argue with the value of SSR right now, and it should be able to do one or the other of these plans.

These numbers are laughably old now, but the standard top few are all excellent SAP. Doesn't really matter which one you pick, and the math on a particular contract can flip these numbers because they are so close. I would remove Aulani and RIV resale for obvious reasons:
https://www.dvcresalemarket.com/blog/best-economical-dvc-resorts-to-purchase-fall-2022/

I don't view resale, especially SSR, as that big of a commitment. You get tired of it, you sell. It has a known value, and there's so much of it changing hands. Smaller or more expensive (or 2042!) resorts are a bigger commitment to me.

My exception would be if you want AKL club, not impossible to book for 1BR. To do that, you need AKL points. Terrible views and point spendy, but I love club level anyway. I'd go Youtube a AKL club video and see if you think that's worth paying more. Maybe an awesome choice all around for your family if you like resort time. Booking this will require work, and probably walking. But 1BR club level does have availability, even at 9, 10 months.

Last edited:
If you’re looking at something like President’s Day weekend 2024, BWV standard rooms are already fully booked. AKV 1BRs are fully available.

You will likely want a car for AKV. Whether you need one for BWV since you can walk to 2 parks is debatable.

Although similar points charts, rack rates at BWV are about 25% higher than AKV. It’s a more in-demand resort.

Also, por que no los dos? Buy small contracts for each and continue split-staying.

Last edited:
If you’re looking at something like President’s Day weekend 2024, BWV standard rooms are already fully booked. AKV 1BRs are fully available.
Standard BW is impossible to book, even at 11 months, but 1BR BW in general is not at 7. I've booked BW 1BR for the marathon, for FL Spring Break, and for early December, which is considered DVC peak.

Last edited:
Standard is impossible to book, even at 11 months, but 1BR BW in general is not at 7. I've booked BW 1BR for the marathon, for FL Spring Break, and for early December, which is considered DVC peak.
1BR BW is already booked up for president’s day. Only garden view available. I know because I was interested in that weekend. But value and club-level 1BRs at AKV are available that day. So, it just contrasts the demand.

1BR BW is already booked up for president’s day. Only garden view available. I know because I was interested in that weekend. But value and club-level 1BRs at AKV are available that day. So, it just contrasts the demand.
Garden view is the largest category in BW, that should be the room that anyone who doesn't own BW should expect to book. Standard and BW view are both only a few rooms.

Value 1BR AKL is pound for pound one of the best $ values in DVC, that one is crazy to be available.

Since you are booking 1BR off peak, you don't need either. Just buy SAP.

AKL 1BR is easy to book, way after 7 months, and BW isn't that hard. 1BR AKL savanna is one of the easier rooms to book in the whole system. The 1BR BW is the room I have booked the most in DVC, and I don't own BW. And if BW is booked one year, you do AKL that year. And paying more for BW points would make me feel locked into BW. With SSR points, maybe you try BC or GF or BLT this year.

It's hard to argue with the value of SSR right now, and it should be able to do one or the other of these plans.

These numbers are laughably old now, but the standard top few are all excellent SAP. Doesn't really matter which one you pick, and the math on a particular contract can flip these numbers because they are so close. I would remove Aulani and RIV resale for obvious reasons:
https://www.dvcresalemarket.com/blog/best-economical-dvc-resorts-to-purchase-fall-2022/

I don't view resale, especially SSR, as that big of a commitment. You get tired of it, you sell. It has a known value, and there's so much of it changing hands. Smaller or more expensive (or 2042!) resorts are a bigger commitment to me.

My exception would be if you want AKL club, not impossible to book for 1BR. To do that, you need AKL points. Terrible views and point spendy, but I love club level anyway. I'd go Youtube a AKL club video and see if you think that's worth paying more. Maybe an awesome choice all around for your family if you like resort time. Booking this will require work, and probably walking. But 1BR club level does have availability, even at 9, 10 months.
This is actually a really good idea. I am just worried that if we do decide to sell it down the line, if we do SSR, it won't sell because I know there is always a lot of them, and they aren't "valued" as much. But I like the idea of flexibility.

I also went down a worm hole last night and started considering BRV, because price PP is low, and they were just redone. But, I think I was being influenced by the shiny newness of the rooms.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter