HELP! Craft needed-Kindergarten xmas party

Eeyore'sthebest

DIS Veteran<br><font color=darkorchid>Not So Tagle
Help!! I don't know what I was thinking but I volunteered last night to do the craft for my DD's Kindergarten Christmas party. Maybe it was the hot chocolate buzz while I stood outside Santa's workshop? Maybe it was the cold air chilling my brain? Temporary insanity? I even volunteered to take a vacation day to do this in person! :goodvibes
Anyway, the class mom does NOT want a foam craft (oh nuts!). I'm not sure I want to get into painting as these kids all wear their little Catholic school kid uniforms. Oh, and it can't be a quick craft, according to the class mom. Apparently we need to burn up some of the morning hours. I was thinking of bringing in my digital camera and my portable printer (last yr's xmas gift from DH) and just making ornaments. Class mom said she would need to check with the principal to see if we had permission to take pictures of the kids?! :confused3
Should have stuck with bringing in the Christmas cookies!
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

When DS's were in Kindergarten they made candle stick holders as a gift to their parents with their teacher and their art teacher. I still put them out each year (DS's are now 13). I wasn't there when they made them, but I will describe what they did the best I can.

You cut off the top of a 2L soda bottle, they are about 3" from the top of the bottle opening. You use the top part. Then they glued brightly colored squares of tissue paper all over the outside of the bottle top. Then the whole thing is covered with sparkly clear glitter (so you can see the tissue colors underneath). I am not sure how they adhered the glitter to it, maybe spray glue? I think that would be the easiest. Then they had glued it down to a 6" paper plate that they had painted red (if you really don't want to paint you could get colored plates). They came home with a short candle that fit into the opening.

I have made small wreaths out of puzzle pieces with my boys, but it does involve painting. But I found that spray paint looks best and that can be done by an adult inside of a box or something. Take a ring of cardboard and glue puzzle pieces all around it. Spray or paint it green then when dry glue mylar confetti ornaments to it. Or red circles for berries.

Check the thread about the glass ornaments - a very doable craft for 5 & 6 year olds. Not too messy since the paint goes INSIDE the ornament. If it's a Catholic school you can even get stickers of angels and such to put on the outside. Get various paint colors for the inside. I'm sure the parents would LOVE them! :)

Jill

you can make cinnamon ornaments..with large amount of reg cinnamon and glue. roll out and cookie cut into shapes then let dry. smells yummy!!

Maybe even a small gingerbread house with all the candies and using
graghm(?) crakers for the walls and top.

there sthe craft called "gods eyes" where you take two pop sticks into a cross and wrap yard around them.

(last one) you take those star looking plastic beads and thread them on pipe cleaners in a patteren (white/red or green/white) about 7 inches long then you bend the top to make "candy canes" have them all over my tree!!!

Hope this helps!!!
and as far I the "room mom" goes tell her beggers can't be choosers!!!!

Marissa

I read the above response and remembered that DS's also made Gingerbread Houses in Kindergarten too. As mentioned above they used graham crackers and built them around a small milk carton (like they get at lunch). The carton really helped them keep their shape.

These are all great ideas!! Thanks everyone. :teeth:
I love the whole concept of the cinnamon ornaments. Might have to make them at home.
I think we'll try the beaded ornaments or the glass ornaments with the stickers of angels. I might do the paint at home ahead of time.
Its off to Michaels to see if there is anything left!! :Pinkbounc

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter