Help Build a Lifelong SW Fan's Trip of a Lifetime...Packed Into One Day?

TigerlilyAJ

DIS Veteran
I am planning a girl's trip for myself and my friend, an OG "Star Wars" fan, someone who saw "A New Hope" as an elementary-school student and grew up worshiping Princess Leia. (She did a killer General Organa cosplay a couple years ago, too.) However, it has to be an ultra-short trip, with us arriving at a park probably about noon on our travel day, having the next day be a full day, and then only having the morning on the third day, maybe lunch, before having to head to the airport. She says she only cares about Batuu and Star Tours, but she has a degree in Fine Arts and used to work at stop-motion animation studios as puppet mistress. She deeply understands and appreciates architecture, animatronics, use of perspective and other tricks to fool the eye, so I want to take her to MK to ride Haunted Mansion and Pirates (she's also a Depp fan). Oh, and the Little Mermaid ride, if only for the "Under the Sea" room. Are there other places in DHS and MK she should really see?
I visited Batuu in January 2020, but know many things have changed and I need to re-learn how to tour the land.
What can I do to make her trip as comprehensive and special as possible? Money is an object, but I am willing to hear any and all ideas, including things like extra tours or after-hours events or whatever they're calling the special hours for people staying at Deluxe resorts.
Would building a lightsaber be memorable? (It really would be for the experience rather than the lightsaber to take home.)
Is Oga's worth it mainly to look around? We're in Ontario, where we appreciate and are accustomed to social distancing and wearing masks, so we would not want to stay long indoors in an eatery with maskless people, especially in tight quarters where we have to stand with strangers at our table. But I would like to buy her an adult beverage and probably a keepsake glass/mug.
Anything you would recommend in terms of food in the land, souvenirs at the shops, etc? Do they sell any of the wonderful popcorn in bags or containers that can travel home? Is the mouse droid still the refillable popcorn holder? SW magic shots we should get?
We are tentatively looking at the first half of 2022, maybe even going for May the Fourth. Is that at all a special day to be at DHS?
Your thoughts and experiences appreciated!

May the 4th is a special day at DHS. Lots of merchandise opportunities and lots of people in Star Wars outfits. This year there was a lightsaber meetup at park closing where hundreds of folks got together and took pictures in Batuu (though they were limited to groups of about 50 for distancing).

Savi’s definitely is a memorable experience. Very well-done.

We went in 2019, so take my advice with a big grain of salt, but here were some highlights:
- My kids were wearing Kylo Ren and Darth Vader masks. Some Stormtroopers walking by with the "real" Kylo stopped in their tracks to tell them their loyalty was appreciated. Depending on how the cast is interacting within social distancing guidelines, I think wearing First Order/Resistance gear may potentially get you noticed by the corresponding characters.
- Likewise, my eldest was chosen as the Rebel spy on Star Tours, I think because he was both wearing his Darth Vader mask and had a Star Wars T-Shirt on.
- Oga's is fun, but like you I don't want to indoor dine now in tight quarters. But by May things might (hopefully) be greatly improved and it will feel safer. You can request to wait longer for a booth when you check in. Sometimes they can't accommodate you, but they were able to for my group and it was a nice break in a long day for the kids. I got the Fuzzy Tauntaun and it really does make your tongue go numb.
- My favorite (relatively cheap) souvenirs: Sabacc playing cards and a little shoulder Porg. Less than $20 each and the cards are also nice for passing time at meals.
- Didn't do Savi's so can't speak to it. My kids do love their droids and had fun building them but an adult might not find it that special.
- I tried the app with games they made for Batuu, and I think it's poorly designed and a waste of time. You don't really feel like you're impacting anything in the world by playing it. It did help entertain my kids in line for Smuggler's Run though.
- We loved the food at Docking Bay 7, both breakfast and lunch. Highly recommend stopping in.

I think with such a short trip it will be hard to bank on evening access for deluxe guests being offered the night you are there. Instead, I would suggest booking at the Swann and Dolphin for easy HS access and enjoy the early 30 minute perk. You could ride ROTR once in the standby line, then ride it again with LL access if you want to pay for it.

So sorry I must have missed notifications about these helpful replies. Thank you!
Hmm, maybe May the Fourth is worth waiting for!
As for Star Tours, yes, definitely not all random about choosing a Rebel spy. My son was chosen while sitting in the back row in an Olaf costume. Our fellow passengers had a goof laugh when they flashed him on the screen.

Savi is a great experience and the lightsaber is extremely well done. I have it on display on my desk. I would plan for ILL$ for ROTR so you can insure you ride that. Batuu is an immersive experience so just walking around will make you feel you are in the Star Wars universe.

Savi is a great experience and the lightsaber is extremely well done. I have it on display on my desk. I would plan for ILL$ for ROTR so you can insure you ride that. Batuu is an immersive experience so just walking around will make you feel you are in the Star Wars universe.
Yes, I've pretty much settled on doing it, even if it costs as much as a night of hotel.
My friends knows much more than I about art, architecture, construction, and SW, so I expect to see and learn a lot that I missed on my family trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter