Hello DIS and im taking a first timer to disneyland

Pirates of the Caribbean or The Haunted Mansion

• The Haunted Mansion

• Pirates Of The Caribbean

Results are only viewable after voting.

Jean Lafitte

Earning My Ears
hi my name is Matthew and I'm 15 years old but i love Disney and I've always grew up around Disneyland and all the movies and TV shows. on Friday oct. 20-22 my girlfriend is coming along with my family to the Disneyland resort. she knows a lot of the movies and for the past couple months i have been teaching her about the layout of the park and general history of how it all started with a mouse. Friday were going to the downtown Disney area to eat at the rain forest cafe and explore around the hotels and the esplanade. on Saturday were going to Disneyland and it will be her first time in the park. i want to give her some history on the park and some really cool facts about the park but i don't want it t feel like a history lesson. i'm not sure how to incorporate the history and facts while still having fun with her. on Sunday we are going to California adventure and i'm going to lay off with the facts that day because i consider it to be a more laid back park and it doesn't have as complex of a history as Disneyland does. would this approach work or would it be to much of a mess to understand. also what is considered to be a good first timer gift?
we have a tradition where the first timer gets a hat at Disneyland and they wear it the entire weekend , but i was wondering what some other people get for their first time in the park?
:dumbo::mickeyjum:sulley::tigger::stitch::simba::hmghost::figment::ccat::maleficen:donald:

I think you could get a Hidden Mickey book...it has pretty cool fun facts and a little history without being TOO much. We find it fun and learn quite a bit! Also, helps pass the time if you have a long wait.

I think you could get a Hidden Mickey book...it has pretty cool fun facts and a little history without being TOO much. We find it fun and learn quite a bit! Also, helps pass the time if you have a long wait.
Thank you for the feedback, I have the 3rd edition so it's a little dated but I hope that should work out well for this trip. Also for long waits in line there is a book on Amazon called "things to do in line" and it has many interesting things for you to see and do in line at Disneyland. I recommend picking that up if your running out of things to do while waiting for something like Indy or space.

I actually was going to suggest this, then you can find them together. Also download the charades game for lines. I also have other books like "little known facts" that are fun to read together.

I actually was going to suggest this, then you can find them together. Also download the charades game for lines. I also have other books like "little known facts" that are fun to read together.
Oh cool thanks I'll make sure to give that a download before we leave on Friday. Thanks for the info

Thank you, I had the exact same idea. Should we get it at the kiosk by the tunnel for speed or wait in line at the city hall?

I dont think theres a line at city hall, last time they had them out. You can also get them at guest services just outside the gates on the left.

Oh cool thanks I'll make sure to give that a download before we leave on Friday. Thanks for the info

One other thing I would suggest is google for list of "must try Disneyland foods and treats", Then let her pick some out for you guys to try. Even better if you haven't tried it yet. The food and treats are half the fun!

I dont think theres a line at city hall, last time they had them out. You can also get them at guest services just outside the gates on the left.
I thought they did a couple weeks ago because Sara from the fresh baked Disney YouTube channel got her birthday pin in the city hall.

One other thing I would suggest is google for list of "must try Disneyland foods and treats", Then let her pick some out for you guys to try. Even better if you haven't tried it yet. The food and treats are half the fun!
Yes thank you, I have looked up the treats and such and showed her. The top 2 things she is looking to get are a dole whip, beignets (my 2 recommendations Bec they are the most amazing treats in the park) and a pretzel for her. Treats at Disneyland really are half the fun when you go, that's why the tiki room is so inspiring to me because it mixes two of the greatest features of the park... Food and animatronics!

Yes thank you, I have looked up the treats and such and showed her. The top 2 things she is looking to get are a dole whip, beignets (my 2 recommendations Bec they are the most amazing treats in the park) and a pretzel for her. Treats at Disneyland really are half the fun when you go, that's why the tiki room is so inspiring to me because it mixes two of the greatest features of the park... Food and animatronics!

Those are all good food choices, but I also have to get a churro. Hard to pass up when i smell them. Its hard to pass the smell of popcorn too but I kust love those churros. By the way, when you get a dole whip, head into the tiki room next door, great place to have your dole whip while watching the show.

I wouldnt overload with facts and stuff but rather be there to enjoy the park. Yeah I know you took the time and did your research, but it may not be well-received especially if you have a lot of facts you want to share to impress her.

I'm not saying do not completely tell her ANY facts, but maybe a few as you go throughout your day. Just remember...You're not a tour guide, (although when you turn 18 or 21, you should really consider applying to DLR to be a CM tour guide if you know a lot of info) you're there to experience the magic of Disney and be lucky you're there with her.

I wouldnt overload with facts and stuff but rather be there to enjoy the park. Yeah I know you took the time and did your research, but it may not be well-received especially if you have a lot of facts you want to share to impress her.

I'm not saying do not completely tell her ANY facts, but maybe a few as you go throughout your day. Just remember...You're not a tour guide, (although when you turn 18 or 21, you should really consider applying to DLR to be a CM tour guide if you know a lot of info) you're there to experience the magic of Disney and be lucky you're there with her.
thanks i was thinking of a couple facts a day so that she could explore the park herself and so that she could retain the information that i tell her. thanks, actually my dream job that im working towards and studying for is to be and imagineer and work for Disneyland on the park and space management.

Most of our family is out of state so we've done a few first time visits. Usually as we're walking by something I'll throw out a random fun fact about it if it works into the conversation. Example: as we're walking by the Matterhorn mention how there's a basketball court in there or while walking by
Walt's apartment mention how the light is always on for him. Sometimes it's a tricky balance between wanting to share everything about the park that you love and letting them discover it for themselves. Remember the most important thing is to have fun!

Sometimes it's a tricky balance between wanting to share everything about the park that you love and letting them discover it for themselves. Remember the most important thing is to have fun!

Good point! The way you phrase it makes a huge difference. Just spouting facts as exact facts that you know can get obnoxious. But starting things with "i heard that..." or "have you heard that...?" gives them a chance to explain it to you if they already know.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter