Height measurements

Discussion in 'disABILITIES!' started by Luvdancink, Aug 3, 2018.

1. Luvdancink

Luvdancink Mouseketeer

How does Disney handle measuring heights for people who can’t stand on their own? My daughter cannot stand up without assistance and will be using her stroller as a wheelchair.

2. Queen of the WDW Scene

Queen of the WDW Scene DIS Veteran

Not entirely sure but if she can stand with assistance then I'd just assist her in standing for that small amount of time.

3. Avatar

Advertisement

4. redberyl

redberyl Mouseketeer

no personal exprience but I asked your question on another group i am in, and was told that most of the time they just asked the mom how tall her child was, but a few of the cm's did make her get her daughter out of her wheelchair and prop her up so they could use the measuring stick.

5. Luvdancink

Luvdancink Mouseketeer

Unless she’s leaning against a wall she won’t be able to stand and even then she will be severely hunched over. Unless she’s in her braces. A 3 or 4 inch lean is huge when you’re a toddler. Will they let her stand against a wall?

6. Queen of the WDW Scene

Queen of the WDW Scene DIS Veteran

Often times the height measuring stick is not against a wall.
    I think you should contact Disney's guest services to ask how they would handle it and perhaps talk with guest services when you arrive at a park as well since sometimes phone/internet CM's answers vary compared to what the CM's in the parks actually do.

7. SueM in MN

SueM in MN combining the teacups with a roller coaster Moderator

My daughter is an adult now, but when she was younger, I told the CMs she could not stand up.
    They asked me how tall she was. We did not go on any attractions where she was really close to the height requirement.
    I can’t remember any height sticks agsinst walls. They are mostly freestanding with a top bar that the child needs to ‘hit’ or surpass to meet the height requirement.
    I agree with stopping at Guest Relations and asking how it would work.

mamabunny likes this.
  8. LittleMissDisneyDork

LittleMissDisneyDork Earning My Ears

I work at a ride with a height requirement and we’re told to ask the parents if the child is tall enough. We’re not supposed to ask the child to get out of the wheelchair, we just have to take the parents word for it

9. DisneyOma

DisneyOma DIS Veteran

Are you planning on having her remain in the wheelchair for attractions? If so, then she wouldn't be going on any ride that would have a height requirement, would she?

What attractions are you thinking of going on with her, as a toddler who cannot stand? Is she able to support herself well enough to go on anything with a height requirement?

10. Luvdancink

Luvdancink Mouseketeer

Her torso is strong. I guess to make up for it. I was thinking barnstormer. She has basically jelly ankles but sitting she’s good.

BethCPTSD and DisneyOma like this.
  11. Luvdancink

Luvdancink Mouseketeer

And she can transfer with assistance.

BethCPTSD and DisneyOma like this.
  12. SueM in MN

SueM in MN combining the teacups with a roller coaster Moderator

Barnstormer is a good ‘starter’ roller coaster. It’s only about 90 seconds, so gives a good feel of the roller coaster without being too long.
    We did lift our daughter onto it to ride when she was little. It’s not the easiest transfer because the space inside the ride car is tight. It’s not bad to put a little kid into, but once our daughter got to be over 4 feet tall, it was too hard for us.