Health Care In The USA?

It does not necessarily work in other countries....:
YES it does.

do you want to be told by the govt that your condition is not serious enough to get treatment right away...sometime not for years???....:
I HAD my private Insurer TELL me that...as did many many many others (read some of the previous posts)! I only want my Doctor to make these decisions.
Your "government saying NO" is not based on any facts whatsoever.

OR do you think you should be able to see a doctor anytime you wish for any condition you wish (as long as it is a covered expense by your health insurance)???
see above.

Also, some of the medical treatment is sub-par in these countries...even according to the physicians that treat patients in these countries....:
Says who????

.....I, for one, do NOT....I will take my chances and try to find other options or ways to keep medical costs down rather than have the govt control yet another aspect of my life....maybe those of your who do not mind the govt involvement could be the "guinea pig" for Hilary :rotfl2:
:sad2: :sad2: :sad2:

I just say ALL Americans should have the same Health Benefits that WE give all of our ELECTED Officials(totally Govt. paid for life, for them & their families...and they pay NADA in out of pocket expenses). Yet these same elected officials who tell you that it dont work!:crazy:

Im sorry but there are plenty of people who say that their systems dont work. I can name 2 of my doctors that moved here from Canada because the system didnt work.

There are people who disagree and this is OK.

I have noticed the OP hasnt come back though.....

Not for profits dont just run themselves, they have to rely on revenues, cost cutting and on fundraising to in order to run daily operations just like any other business. I think many are mislead by the nonprofit status. Believe me I reported to the CFO and they totally cared about the bottom line!

::yes:: Salaries have to be paid, equipment has to be purchased, light bills have to be paid, (and so on) so just because a place is "nonprofit" does not mean that operating costs do not have to come from somewhere!!

I work at a hospital and I totally agree that health care costs are outragious and that above all the patient's should be treated!! It is frustrating when people come into the emergency room for colds and other "non-emergencies". I once had a patient come in for burping!! ER visits are more costly (to insurance companies and patients) and take up space that should be reserved for true emergencies!!

Health insurance, and medical charges, are ridiculous.

My DH and I don't have employer paid health insurance, we pay our own which is about $450 per month just for basic coverage (high deductible, 80/20 after the deductible is met, no physican office coverage, etc.). It goes up every year, usually at least a couple hundred dollar increase.

We have no co-pay at the doctor's office, we pay the entire bill ourselves.

It's too expensive to go to the doctor so we rarely do. DH went for a physical a couple of months ago, and it was $190 (they tacked on a "new patient charge" simply because he had not been there in a few years, even though he has been a patient there OVER THIRTY YEARS!!!).

I'm supposed to have the pressure in my eyes checked every 4 months, but only go once a year because for the 2-minute procedure the opthalmologist charges $150. It was $90 the year before that, and I thought that was high, last time $150. I haven't gone yet this year, it'll probably be over $200.

How they can get away with charging such riduclously high amounts is beyond me.

And it's getting to where employers are paying less and less for their employee's health coverage, and with the way the costs keep rising I wonder how many more years anyone will have employee paid coverage. If it comes to that, there will be a LOT MORE who don't have insurance.

I remember when I was in the hospital 4 nights with pulmonary embolism it was over $8,000. I didn't have surgery, just an IV heparin drip and blood draws every 6 hours. Ridiculous.

I think you need to shop for a better plan. We have an employer sponsored plan they pay 60%, we pay 40% and we pay more per month then you do. There are better plans out there that are probably a bit higher for premiums but offer better coverage.

Personally, we have great health coverage and we have always had great health coverage. We have never had anything that was covered under our plan denied, never really had an issue with anything relating to our coverages. I think the problem MOST people have is that they don't understand what is and is not covered under THEIR plan, which is different for EVERY company in the country. The owner of your plan is the ones that select the coverages, not the doctors, not the hospitals and not the insurance companies themselves--it is the one who buys the plan. Your beef should be with your employer not your insurance company.

I was referring specifically to health insurance being profit-driven, not hospitals. Of course health-care workers deserve to get paid and there is other tremendous overhead. I realize after re-reading my post that it looks like I have a beef with hospital costs, but that really isn't my issue. (I have, though, seen itemized bills with mark-ups on bandaging that would make me want to bring in my own gauze!)

I do have a question, however, about the accounts that are written off as "bad debt". If a patient flat out claims they can't pay, will they still receive bill after bill after bill that they already warned the hospital they can't pay? And are they reported to credit agencies and hounded mercilessly before this write-off happens? Or is this charity something that happens at the front end?

Both charity can happen on the front end or back end! What I saw from working with Patient Acctg people is that many times these people ignore these bills just like they do any other bill. Hospitals need to get paid just like anyone else, if the patient cannot afford their bill they need to contact the hospital and they can work out a payment plan or there are certain circumstances where the acct at the point would be written off to charity. If you tols them upfront they would probably send a Medicaid counselour to work wiht you or your family and see if you are eilgible, many are and dont know it. But yes they will send you to collections (just like any other business) if you do not pay your bill.

We had a hospital that we closed and I got the hospital assigned to me when I first started and each monmth this little old lady in IL (you could tell by her writing) wrote a check (to this now closed hospital ) every month for $10. She was honoring her debt, but I looked at her acct and she had about $2000more to pay, so I went and asked if we could write this off, and we did and I sent her a nice letter explaining well she sent a letter back that she always honors her debts and was more than willing to pay but was grateful nonetheless.

Im sorry too, it is something I feel passionate about bc I think hospitals get blamed for the high cost of healthcare and how could they charge me this and that, well the govt via Medicare is driving these costs not always the hospitals

I wouldn't want NHC I like to make my own choices and I don't want to have to wait months for surgery. We've had crappy insurance, no insurance, and now great insurance and I'm ok with it all. In the US there are no cost & low cost clinics that use a sliding fee scale and almost all hospitals will treat you with out insurance unless they're private. The problem is that people aren't told how or where to get this care and many are uneducated or don't speak english and that creates more barriers. Inner city schools often have health care and dental care onsite for low income families. Your local health department can steer you in the right direction. The problem is you actually have to search for it it doesn't just jump out and bite you on the behind.

YES it does.

I HAD my private Insurer TELL me that...as did many many many others (read some of the previous posts)! I only want my Doctor to make these decisions.
Your "government saying NO" is not based on any facts whatsoever.

see above.

Says who????

I just say ALL Americans should have the same Health Benefits that WE give all of our ELECTED Officials(totally Govt. paid for life, for them & their families...and they pay NADA in out of pocket expenses). Yet these same elected officials who tell you that it dont work!:crazy:

Totally govt paid for, you make it sound free, we are paying for that!

We have 2 govt healthcare plans already, Medicare and Medicaid, there are plenty of horror stories there as well. Plus if Medicare is so great and run so efficiently why do our seniors need supplemental insurance to cover what Medicare doesnt or why does the govt farm out some of this coverage to private insurance companies. We pay plenty for this govt run plan and it is the most confusing buerocatic plan there is and dont get me started with Medicaid fraud and abuse.

Yes we need changes and help with our healthcare in this country but I really dont want the govt handling it!

Like when he made Farheinheit 911 3 years ago and told about the horrors at Walter Reed Hospital. Anyone who saw the movie knew what was going on.
It took our government 3 years to find this out, and do something about it.....and Walter Reed is only 1 mile away from the Capital!

I think Michael Moore KNOWS precisely whats going on.:thumbsup2

I am sure that with his background in govt he is an expert :lmao:
Don't get me wrong, I am not for anyone being mistreated or denied medical care....but Michael is not the expert in this field and he EXAGGERATES THE TRUTH.

YES it does. where is the proof??? having to wait years to have tubes inserted into your child's ears (even though he/she might have very painful repeated ear infections that could be relieved with care) all because it was not priority??? Never had a problem with MY insurance denying me this benefit....nor any other needed care....if my doctor orders the procedure, it is never a problem...I guess I am lucky in that manner...thus the reason for not wanting govt involvement....it would surley become a problem.

Your "government saying NO" is not based on any facts whatsoever. see above!!

see above. see above!!

Says who???? Do the research...it is very clear...but it certainly was not the so called "professional" that has been referred to here, it was the professionals from the country at hand.

I just say ALL Americans should have the same Health Benefits that WE give all of our ELECTED Officials(totally Govt. paid for life, for them & their families...and they pay NADA in out of pocket expenses). Yet these same elected officials who tell you that it dont work!:crazy:Again, I like to be in control of my own destiny and not have the govt control anymore of my life than they already do...they take away my PRIVATE medical insurance today...what will tomorrow be.....my guns too??? I am sorry, I will fight to the death on that one, I want to protect myself also...Lord knows that the govt will not....as an American citizen, it is my right....

See my responses in bold, navy print

Totally govt paid for, you make it sound free, we are paying for that!

We have 2 govt healthcare plans already, Medicare and Medicaid, there are plenty of horror stories there as well. Plus if Medicare is so great and run so efficiently why do our seniors need supplemental insurance to cover what Medicare doesnt or why does the govt farm out some of this coverage to private insurance companies. We pay plenty for this govt run plan and it is the most confusing buerocatic plan there is and dont get me started with Medicaid fraud and abuse.

Yes we need changes and help with our healthcare in this country but I really dont want the govt handling it!

I am with you all of the way!!!

I am very pleased with the health insurance that I receive from work. I have a choice between two insurance companies and I selected Kaiser Permanente. I contribute $20 out of each bi-weekly paycheck and my employer pays the rest of the monthly premiums. When I see the doctor, I pay $15 per visit and usually $8 per prescription. Lab work and x-rays are free. I have a primary care physician and I find that he is accessible. If I have a urgent, but simple, matter such as a sore throat, I can usually see the doctor or a nurse practitioner the day I call for an appointment.

Contrary to popular belief abroad, Americans do have a public welfare system that includes health care. Senior citizens are eligible for Medicare (paid for throughout one's working life with payroll taxes) and the poor can receive Medicaid. State and county governments may offer additional health care for low income people. There are also many charity clinics offering general care or care to targeted populations (immigrants, gay/lesbian, women, children, miners, etc.).

The US also has a system of public hospitals that accept the uninsured. In part this is why Americans' health insurance premiums are so high. Insured Americans pay for the uninsured via high monthly premiums.

Being uninsured in the US is frustrating and inconvenient, but not hopeless. The uninsured need to be resourceful and that can be difficult when one is ill. However, there are people---social workers, charity workers---who are willing to assist the uninsured.

I am very pleased with the health insurance that I receive from work. I have a choice between two insurance companies and I selected Kaiser Permanente. I contribute $20 out of each bi-weekly paycheck and my employer pays the rest of the monthly premiums. When I see the doctor, I pay $15 per visit and usually $8 per prescription. Lab work and x-rays are free. I have a primary care physician and I find that he is accessible. If I have a urgent, but simple, matter such as a sore throat, I can usually see the doctor or a nurse practitioner the day I call for an appointment.

Contrary to popular belief abroad, Americans do have a public welfare system that includes health care. Senior citizens are eligible for Medicare (paid for throughout one's working life with payroll taxes) and the poor can receive Medicaid. State and county governments may offer additional health care for low income people. There are also many charity clinics offering general care or care to targeted populations (immigrants, gay/lesbian, women, children, miners, etc.).

The US also has a system of public hospitals that accept the uninsured. In part this is why Americans' health insurance premiums are so high. Insured Americans pay for the uninsured via high monthly premiums.

Being uninsured in the US is frustrating and inconvenient, but not hopeless. The uninsured need to be resourceful and that can be difficult when one is ill. However, there are people---social workers, charity workers---who are willing to assist the uninsured.

Very well put!

I suspect that your Dr's moved there because their salaries were capped here in Canada and they were not able to make the HUGE dollars they wanted to!

Im sorry but there are plenty of people who say that their systems dont work. I can name 2 of my doctors that moved here from Canada because the system didnt work.

There are people who disagree and this is OK.

I have noticed the OP hasnt come back though.....

A lot of Volunteer fire depts bill for certain things, especially arson.

And my Canadian friends and family DONT like it. :confused3 same as our system. There are people who like it and those who dont.

Its all a matter of opinion when it boils down to it.

I live here and don't know one person who doesn't like it or has had substandard care. Like I have said many times before my mother had cataract surgery in two weeks, mother in law had heart valve replacement within three weeks, father had skin cancer removed within two weeks, child next door was picked up by ambulance in the middle of the night when her blood tests taken that day came up that leukemia was suspected. Anyone I know with cancer have been treated promptly.

Nobody tells me what doctors I can and can't see. I can always see a doctor the same day I call. There are no billing surprises.

I wouldn't trade our Canadian system for anything. Sure, there will be issues where there is a doctor shortage but from many, many stories I read here on the Dis, waiting is a big issue in the US system as well.

We had discussed this topic to death here and it always comes up the same way. Canadians are overwhelmingly happy with their system but the Americans think it is not as good as theirs.

There was a poll done a while back on the Canadian board when a discussion was going on here about Universal Healthcare. Only 2% of the people responded that they would like a system similar the US.

Ditto
No horror stories here either.
Always had exemplary care expedited in a timely fashion.:confused3

Minnie, I am not arguing with you, as I said I know there 2 sides to this story. I do know that MY life was put in jeapordy when I gave birth to ds. I know that MY FIL had to wait an obscene amount of time to see an oncologist. MY SIL had issues getting approval for a surgery that she desperately needed. What would be a 1 month wait time here was 2 years there ( I know this because I looked into it for her). So it does happen. Dh, who is Canadian as well and spent his whole life there, is happier with our insurance now than he was when we were there.

Lets face it no system is foolproof. Ours needs an overhaul I totally agree with that but, like others, I dont want the Govt in charge of it.

::yes::

I live here and don't know one person who doesn't like it or has had substandard care. Like I have said many times before my mother had cataract surgery in two weeks, mother in law had heart valve replacement within three weeks, father had skin cancer removed within two weeks, child next door was picked up by ambulance in the middle of the night when her blood tests taken that day came up that leukemia was suspected. Anyone I know with cancer have been treated promptly.

Nobody tells me what doctors I can and can't see. I can always see a doctor the same day I call. There are no billing surprises.

I wouldn't trade our Canadian system for anything. Sure, there will be issues where there is a doctor shortage but from many, many stories I read here on the Dis, waiting is a big issue in the US system as well.

We had discussed this topic to death here and it always comes up the same way. Canadians are overwhelmingly happy with their system but the Americans think it is not as good as theirs.

There was a poll done a while back on the Canadian board when a discussion was going on here about Universal Healthcare. Only 2% of the people responded that they would like a system similar the US.

I have never had to wait more than 1-2 days to receive health care...some Americans expect miracles or to be seen right NOW...they do not like to wait...that , my dear, is the problem.

I am glad that most of those in Canada like their National Healthcare plan, if it works for you, then it is great....however, I happen to like the fact that I can control my own destiny with my health plan...I even have about 5 choices of different types of health plans...if the govt controls it...I will not have these luxuries/choices NOR control my own destiny....the govt already tells me I have to pay 1/3 of my income to them....for what??? Our roads that are badly in need of repaving, to provide healthcare to those that do not WANT to work (my age and very capable) and illegal immigrants and their 20 children, So govt officials can take their golf "meetings", etc.??

Once American govt sticks their nose in your business, you NEVER get it out...I keep my nose clean and have healthcare of my own....because I work. Don't let some fool you...it is available...yes, they may have to give up their smokes, alcohol and even...dare I say it, find a job... but they do have it available if they would just take some initiative. NO, I am not saying that this applies to EVERYONE....there are some that truly are in a bad position or not able to work...there is medicare and medicaid for those (with all of it's faults...just like national healthcare would have). 2% or 50%...I think alot of Americans simply demand too much...they are spoiled.

I have never had to wait more than 1-2 days to receive health care...some Americans expect miracles or to be seen right NOW...they do not like to wait...that , my dear, is the problem.

I think the wait time varies between cities. Certainly, if I am sick with a sore throat or viral illness, I can see my GP within 1-2 days.

Seeing a specialist is another matter.

Two years ago, I had a very suspicious mammogram/ultrasound. So suspicious that the mammographer told me that if I didn't have a surgeon, I needed to get one right away and "TODAY would not be too soon" to see one. Fortunately, I was an established patient at a breast surgeon. The mammographer even called the surgeon. I was not seen for 3 weeks. This is typical in my area for a surgeon. I then had to wait another several weeks for surgery.

Now we move on to dermatology. My mom had a suspicious mole on her leg. Took her exactly 6 weeks to be seen by a dermatologist (she was a new patient).

Same story with the gastroenterologist I go to--long wait times just to be seen. Maybe there is a shortage of doctors here.

But I suppose it is better than waiting 6 months? I just don't see where the quick turnarounds are anymore. I have dealt with health problems for many, many years and things have changed. Twelve years ago when I was diagnosed with thyroid cancer, the time between finding the nodule on my thyroid and having the surgery was 3 weeks. This was starting with a GP, having a huge diagnostic workup, getting into a surgeon, and having it removed. Now that was quick. I think these days the same process would take at least 2 months.

I think there are probably pros and cons to both sides of the border. As with anything we do need to focus on the cons and see what we can do to fix.

I agree with some of the above posters that there are many resources out there for people and maybe the way to remedy these things is to have them more marketed so that those who are struggling can get help. (that commercial with Montel Williams and the bus for Rxs comes to mind)

But I also think they is a warped sense of entitlement in the US. We are entitiled to healthcare?????? Our parents and grandparents paid for their healthcare like any other bill. If they were unemployed they went and found another job, doing whatever it took. Many Americans expect a handout instead of providing for themselves ( and I am no talking about those who truly need our assitance, I want us and our govt to be there for them). I think people freak out about healthcare costs and dont want to pay but they think other things are necessities. I mean electricty is a necessity in this day and age, you use it you pay your bill, if you dont you are sent to collections this is your debt, if you are unable to pay there are programs out there to help you, you need to inquire about them, the electric company is not going to seek you out, unless you let them know they are going to assume you are able to pay, same with hospitals.

Insurance coverage is a "benefit" and I know many want it changed to an entitlement. We have many entitlement programs that are very much in need of overhaul (SS, Unemployment, food stamps) because of the abuses out there.

I am just very concerend about our govt taking this over and creating a beauracratic nightmare.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!