Healing at our Happy Place: making GOOD 2017 memories: Mar, May, Aug, Oct, Dec TRs (3/24 UPDATE)

I'm all caught up, I was way behind after taking a break from the computer last week. While it was good for me personally, it was BAD for me Disney-ally. That can be a word, right??? :rotfl2:

I'm sorry about your MIL's failing health. Having family members in denial about things like that is so hard :hug:

I'm glad you were able to add that day to your trip! If I'd been on here to see it in time, I'd have been saying, "yes!" Since you were able to make the change for such a reasonable amount of money, it seems like the right choice.

Hooray for Pandora fast pass! I cannot wait to fully explore the new land. It looks spectacular.

I'm all caught up, I was way behind after taking a break from the computer last week. While it was good for me personally, it was BAD for me Disney-ally. That can be a word, right??? :rotfl2:

I'm sorry about your MIL's failing health. Having family members in denial about things like that is so hard :hug:

I'm glad you were able to add that day to your trip! If I'd been on here to see it in time, I'd have been saying, "yes!" Since you were able to make the change for such a reasonable amount of money, it seems like the right choice.

Hooray for Pandora fast pass! I cannot wait to fully explore the new land. It looks spectacular.

YAY....it's good to see I'm not just typing this stuff up for myself to read! :yay:

I'm good with my decision to leave earlier for sure and definitely psyched for my FastPass selections. pixiedust:

WARNING: VENT AHEAD...SKIP if you don't want to read non-Disney stuff!

***VENT BEGIN***
So seriously...you would think that of all of the people who might take the time out to call and wish you or your kids happy birthday it would be your family members right? :(
It's times like these where I miss my mom and long for one of her phone calls and to hear her voice of course. This month in particular has been tough for that, and with her only being gone from this earth for just over seven weeks...it's even tougher. So none of my immediate family (my brother or my dad) called me on my birthday. My brother did text me around 10:30pm that night to apologize and said he had a busy day. I get it, he works all day for one job and then he and his wife just started a new business...well she opened a shop and he does a lot of things to help, like making furniture that she sells there. My dad...he emailed me the next morning and then also called me the next day to apologize. His excuse was he was dealing with mom's financial estate stuff. Ok whatever...it still hurt. And then yesterday was my son's 17th birthday. First grandson on both sides of the family, and my mom adored her grandkids. I actually spoke to my dad at work yesterday morning, because he had noticed that I had called his house the day before but hadn't left a message. He actually said to me "did you call me yesterday to remind me to wish Nicolas a happy birthday?". No dad...I did not...I just called because I happened to be home and thought I'd talk to you. I didn't leave a message because I was going to try later but never did. So then he tells me he will call my son later in the day. Did I get a phone call yesterday, or my son, to wish him happy birthday? Nope. Anything from my brother? Nope. Anything from the other side of the family? Nope but that is understandable because my son's other grandparents are dealing with a lot right now, what with his grandmother still very ill and grandfather doing everything he can for it. I get that completely. So my son didn't mention anything about it because he had a nice birthday overall but when I went to bed last night I was just so hurt by that for him. :(
***VENT END***

:-) And now onto happy stuff...can't believe we are less than 60 days away from our trip! I may have mentioned I was going to surprise my family by leaving a day earlier than planned, but I did tell my husband because I was logged into his account to make flight changes. I was also considering telling our oldest son (the 17yo) because he doesn't handle surprises well but I was going to spring it on the younger two closer to the trip. Well yesterday I come home and my daughter says "so you changed our flights and we are leaving a day earlier?". I denied it. Ok and I tried to keep that going but my husband was looking at me dumbfounded. I guess when the emails flooded him yesterday with flight changes he told all of the kids about it. So much for surprises. o_O

I keep checking the DVC site in case a studio room opens up for Friday night, but honestly I think we'll enjoy staying at Shades of Green. I just wish I knew if the hours at the parks were going to be extended that weekend so maybe I could make some FP+ for Friday night at MK. I made two of them at the latest times they had (8:10pm) but I'm hoping the park is open later and we can hop over there when we arrive maybe.

Other than that, not much left to plan for our next trip and still stalking airline websites for our return flights for October. They are still not great but I'm hopeful something will open up this summer at a lower rate.

Plus there is the December trip to also somewhat finalize. I need to determine how long we will go then as well.

Let's face it...I know I have a problem that many other people have here as well.

Change-vacation-itis.

And so...now I've done it...again...and decided we will now pull the kids out a bit early on Friday and catch a flight 2 hours earlier to Walt Disney World.

Rental car is too expensive to change...let's hope if I said I wanted it at 8pm and I now show up at 6pm that it will still be there.

The flight changes resulted in money back in SW credit for ONE flight, points back to my husband's SWA account for a future flight (points I purchased that now aren't needed...but we will use them) and no additional money to me or from me for the other two flights. Three different reservations means it's risky to change them but it worked out fine.

And now we WILL surprise the kids...well the two that will handle a surprise okay...by picking them up early from school and whisking them DIRECTLY to the airport. We'll already make sure they are all packed the day before anyway so we'll have everything they need with us.

I think I'm going to leave the resort alone right now, one because I don't want to spend the points for a room for one night that I'd have to change anyway. UNLESS something really great comes up and we want to try it. I think at this point the only ones I would consider would be Beach Club (because we are already there) or a studio villa at Polynesian or Wildnerness Lodge/Boulder Ridge.

So this is the NEW NEW PLAN:

MAKING HAPPY 2017 MEMORIES PLAN 2.0

FRIDAY: This is our new departure date and we have an afternoon flight...on a Friday of a holiday weekend...should be interesting and hopefully not TOO stressful. The plan is to pick the kids up from school, go directly to the airport with an arrival of about 2:30pm for our 4pm flight. This may be a bit nuts but hopefully it will all work out. We will land and pick up our rental car and drive directly to Shades of Green for our one-night stay there. I do have some FP reservations for MK that night if we are up for it, or perhaps we'll just chill at the resort and the pool that we have NEVER used!

SATURDAY: We have the whole day here now. Our ever-changing Chef Mickey's reservation has moved back to the afternoon but it's still a late lunch. We will maybe do a park that morning for a few hours, and I'm thinking perhaps Magic Kingdom. After lunch, we'll head over to check into Beach Club Resort and then maybe have some pool time there. We have a few FPs at HS beginning after 5:45pm and I also have an 8pm Prime Time Cafe reservation. Since we will have a big lunch, I was thinking that just might be a stop for milkshakes and late night snacks.

SUNDAY: This will now be a HS early morning. I'm thinking we can try to hit RnRC first, and then Tower and Toy Story, similar to how my daughter and I did on our girls trip, although she and I just did Tower and TSM because we didn't get early entry that day. When crowds get crazy we'll head back to the resort for pool time. We can grab lunch at our resort. Around 3pm or so, we'll head out to EPCOT probably via boat where I'll have my first DisBoards meetup and dinner with her and her son at Via Napoli! I also booked a few FPs there for all 7 of us to enjoy together.

MONDAY: Right now the plan is to try to beat the crowds and hit AK for EMH this morning and hopefully try to meet up with A&D again from the Disboards. We'll need to get there early and then head right to Pandora to hopefully ride the new Na'vi River Journey ride there. Then we'll do a few other rides at the park and perhaps stay until lunchtime. We can then head back to our resort for some pool time and we have a 3pm reservation at Beaches and Cream. Once our bellies are full, we'll head BACK to Animal Kingdom Park where I have FPs for all 7 of us to ride Avatar: Flight of Passage and Expedition Everest. We also have a FP for the 5 of us to see Rivers of Light later that evening.

TUESDAY: Since Monday will probably be a late night, I have no early plans for today. I'm thinking we could do another park when we arrive but knowing lines might be a bit crazy and we won't get too much done we'll have to see how we feel. We could just relax and hang at the resort and pool most of the day. Perhaps around dinnertime we'll head out to MK where I do have some FPs there beginning at 5:20pm.

WEDNESDAY:The dreaded LAST day of vacay for us. Traditionally we either do HS or EPCOT this final day, so that will be the plan. I have an 11ish FP reservation for Frozen Ever After so we want to be at EPCOT around that time. I also have lunch at Via Napoli but I may cancel that. We have to depart the parks by about 2:30pm for our 5:30pm flight home.

So that's the new plan with my current FP+ reservations. This could still be modified if we end up having to add another person to our plans (my FIL) which I still think is highly likely but we really are taking it day by day there with MILs continuing failing health.

It's going to suck all over again for sure but seeing her suffer like this is just so hard for everybody. :(
I can't tell you how bad I feel for you guys Dina. And I know that really doesn't help or mean anything, but I do hope her suffering doesn't get much worse :hug:

Ok time for another Happy Post and PTR update! Especially since (shocking I know) I changed around our dining plans AGAIN for May. So here we go now, the...
Um, when I started quoting your updates I had no idea how many changes I'd be quoting :rotfl2:

we still have the flights out but not the return flights because those prices are just soooooo ugly right now.[/QU OTE]
We have about $600 JetBlue credit we have to use before the end of Nov. so I thought we would use that in Aug. But now Steve is talking about a quick trip over Columbus weekend in Oct. so I started looking at flight prices for the 4 of us. Even with that credit, what we'd still have to pay is CRAZY!!

What if you decided to add about 12+ extra hours to your trip and it would cost you another $200?

Would you do it?
Sorry I couldn't answer when you first asked and I know you decided; my answer was and still is, YES :cheer2:

Did I mention I have a kid turning SEVENTEEN tomorrow? That doesn't seem possible. And yet so far I have nothing planned for him...don't even have a card yet.
I saw on FB!! Ricky turns 15 in 7 days and it makes me sad and smile at the same time :blush:

I also booked a night at Universal's Cabana Bay Resort because we have wanted to try it...but hate that it doesn't allow FOTL access at the Universal Parks.

AAAAANNNNND....scratch that stay at Cabana Bay...it's been cancelled.
Well I was going to say I liked CBBR when I stayed in Feb. but like you said, scratch that lol

OK no idea why my response above came out the way it did - am I new here or something :rolleyes:

IMG_20170303_222813507_zpsnc1edoqz_edit_1488639358485_zpsuoju4ysu.jpg

Oh, Good God, you even use "FUD." Are we sure we're not the same person? LOL.

I can't tell you how bad I feel for you guys Dina. And I know that really doesn't help or mean anything, but I do hope her suffering doesn't get much worse :hug:

It still means very much to have somebody express their heartfelt sympathy. I do appreciate it more than you know. We knew 2017 was going to be tough but we had no idea how tough because we were expecting this with one mom...but not both as my mom's prognosis wasn't bad at all until January. :(

Um, when I started quoting your updates I had no idea how many changes I'd be quoting :rotfl2:

Yes I know...sorry but I'm sure I'm not the only one and at this point if anybody has read my PTR or TRs they can't possibly be surprised.

We have about $600 JetBlue credit we have to use before the end of Nov. so I thought we would use that in Aug. But now Steve is talking about a quick trip over Columbus weekend in Oct. so I started looking at flight prices for the 4 of us. Even with that credit, what we'd still have to pay is CRAZY!!

I can't believe that...and I'm not even talking about Columbus weekend which makes it crazier. Funny thing is I almost expect the MD-FL trip to be the more expensive part, since I could see that snowbirds might be headed south for the winter by that time. However the FL-MD leg is the crazy one right now. I have yet to find that leg for less than $150.

I saw on FB!! Ricky turns 15 in 7 days and it makes me sad and smile at the same time :blush:

Wow...it's definitely a good and bad thing for sure.

Well I was going to say I liked CBBR when I stayed in Feb. but like you said, scratch that lol

Yes...Shades just makes the most sense given our limited time of staying there and our need to focus on Disney. Now that we are arriving even earlier, and I anticipate at some point the MK hours will be extended, I can totally see trying to hop over there even that Friday night for a few hours!

LIFE UPDATE

I spent my morning pricing out the flights that we are taking in May once again. I am more and more convinced that we will be inviting my FIL to join us in May because he will need this healing as well and what better place to do it?

I only wish we had any hope of getting a reservation via DVC at Beach Club but I think that's going to be impossible. His only option will be to book via Disney Reservations, though we may stick a kid with an annual pass in the room with him so he can get the APH rate and save some money. The AP Summer rate is at least better than paying regular rates.

Last week my MIL continued to decline. Though my FIL is still managing to get her out of the house the required 3 times a week he needs to to get her to dialysis, there were two times he had to call my DH to help him get her back into the house and up the steps. Actually Friday morning he insisted he'd be fine, but DH went there anyway to wait for them when they returned and help. Even when he went this weekend to visit them, he said his mom kept falling down so they finally resorted to having her use a walker. This morning she woke up and couldn't stand up at all and it's a dialysis day...so his dad called an ambulance and now they are all 3 at the hospital.

There is no winning in this situation. If she can't walk, there is no way to get her in and out of the house, at least for my FIL to do it on his own. I don't know if he can find help that will do that. Hospice is not an option if he wants to continue dialysis for her. If hospice was to be called again this time, without dialysis she would only have a week or two at most.

Today is probably going to be a long day for my husband and his dad as they navigate the ever difficult medical world. The doctors and nurses refuse to listen to them regarding what kind of care she needs and want to treat her with things that we know won't make a difference based on experience. It's frustrating for them. I assume they will at least line up an appointment for her to get dialysis there at the hospital but beyond that...if she is released and can't walk...I don't know what their next steps will be at this point.

If you could keep them all in your thoughts today that would be great. I have a feeling we are nearing an end game here that we all knew was coming and it's going to be tough time for everybody.

I am so sorry that you guys have to deal with this. I hope the day gets better and that you MIL gets the care that she needs.

OH, goodness. Hugs to you! I went through something similar -- but it only lasted one day -- where we couldn't get my dad downstairs when he couldn't walk. I can't imagine it on a continuous basis. Tough decisions. Your family will make the right ones.

I am so sorry and thinking of your family. I have been lurking on your reports I found in your siggy from D~ 's reports. I am in the same situation as you with someone hospice now. Reading your life reports in your trip report and pre trip report the past few weeks has helped me process everything. Your honesty and spirit are so special
Hugs to you d family
And your family.

I'm so, so sorry you are going through this

Your family is in my thoughts :hug:

OH, goodness. Hugs to you! I went through something similar -- but it only lasted one day -- where we couldn't get my dad downstairs when he couldn't walk. I can't imagine it on a continuous basis. Tough decisions. Your family will make the right ones.

It's very hard to see a loved on suffer for sure. It's even hard to convince somebody that it's time to let a loved one go. Unfortunately that's where we are right now. We can suggest all we want, but in the end the decision has to be my FILs to transition to palliative care rather than continue treatment that, while keeping my MIL here on earth, are not providing any quality of life for either one of them.

I am so sorry and thinking of your family. I have been lurking on your reports I found in your siggy from D~ 's reports. I am in the same situation as you with someone hospice now. Reading your life reports in your trip report and pre trip report the past few weeks has helped me process everything. Your honesty and spirit are so special Hugs to you d family
And your family.

I'm very sorry that you are facing a similar situation. It's not easy by any means and hugs right back at you as you go through this journey. It's not something I would wish on anybody. While we just finished the hospice care with my mom in February, we are still trying to convince my FIL that it's time for him to consider this as well. He simply isn't ready.

I'm so, so sorry you are going through this

Your family is in my thoughts :hug:

Thanks so much.

REALLY 2017? Enough is enough already!

So since I had a doctor's appointment of my own yesterday, I decided to take the entire day off and spent the morning at the hospital with my husband and his family. For the most part, we watched my MIL sleep. She opened her eyes a few times, at one point she asked about my FIL (who we let go home and shower and change after sleeping all night at the hospital) and that was really it. I'm not sure she really recognized any of us (my husband and his sister) sometimes. The nurse came in at one point to give her meds and even speaking very loudly and slightly shaking her could not wake her up for that. She even did some kind of med that required a swab up each of her nostrils...and my MIL didn't wake up for that.

The doctor on call was fantastic. He could not have been better about explaining the situation and speaking to the family with the options at this point. It's clear we all know what probably SHOULD happen at this point...but my FIL pretty much admitted he was not ready for hospice and to give up fighting even though there is zero hope of recovery. His biggest hurdle now is the fact that in order for her to remain alive with no functioning kidneys, she has to leave the house 3 times a week for dialysis and she is at a point where she can't even stand any longer. My FIL is convinced it's the medication doing this to her (they just increased her pain meds and anxiety meds as she was constantly in pain...and anxious) so he's requesting backing off the meds to see if that helps. I can't even tell you how hard this is to hear...because that's EXACTLY where we were with my mom at the end of January. My dad thought the muscle weakness she was experiencing was caused by the high steroid dosage she was being given (which CAN have that affect) so he backed off a bit and finally took her to the doctor who told him flat out it was not the meds...and it was time for hospice. That day he had hospice at the house. My mom was gone less than two weeks later.

The problem here is that those meds for my MIL are keeping her comfortable. They were just increased for that reason. Backing off of them would make her suffer...and most likley will NOT help her regain her strength but I think until he sees that for himself he won't accept it. So she remains in the hospital as they attempt this adjustment, and of course while in the hospital she can continue to get dialysis there, but at some point the hospital will have to tell him they can do nothing for her. I still think my FIL is determined to bring her home and continue to try to get her to dialysis though.

So that was where we were when I left yesterday and went to see my doctor for my annual physical. That's where my day got worse as my doctor detected a lump during my routine exam. Since my mom was diagnosed with breast cancer initially back in 2005, I've had regular annual mammograms and did have one last year which was fine. Now I will go back this Friday to have a diagnostic mammogram to determine what this might be. Even if it's nothing, I'll most likely insist it be removed as soon as possible as a precaution. This is just not something I'm willing to risk with my family history.

This was something I would have normally shared with my mom...of course...but that not possible. I don't want to alarm the rest of my family right now and I'm working to remain positive on this one. My husband is the only family that knows right now and he is insisting on going with me to my appointment.

I swear one days this trip report will all be HAPPY stuff. I feel like I can't continue to post bad news when these boards are for things regarding my HAPPY PLACE! I'll be there soon enough.

51 days to go!

REALLY 2017? Enough is enough already!

So since I had a doctor's appointment of my own yesterday, I decided to take the entire day off and spent the morning at the hospital with my husband and his family. For the most part, we watched my MIL sleep. She opened her eyes a few times, at one point she asked about my FIL (who we let go home and shower and change after sleeping all night at the hospital) and that was really it. I'm not sure she really recognized any of us (my husband and his sister) sometimes. The nurse came in at one point to give her meds and even speaking very loudly and slightly shaking her could not wake her up for that. She even did some kind of med that required a swab up each of her nostrils...and my MIL didn't wake up for that.

The doctor on call was fantastic. He could not have been better about explaining the situation and speaking to the family with the options at this point. It's clear we all know what probably SHOULD happen at this point...but my FIL pretty much admitted he was not ready for hospice and to give up fighting even though there is zero hope of recovery. His biggest hurdle now is the fact that in order for her to remain alive with no functioning kidneys, she has to leave the house 3 times a week for dialysis and she is at a point where she can't even stand any longer. My FIL is convinced it's the medication doing this to her (they just increased her pain meds and anxiety meds as she was constantly in pain...and anxious) so he's requesting backing off the meds to see if that helps. I can't even tell you how hard this is to hear...because that's EXACTLY where we were with my mom at the end of January. My dad thought the muscle weakness she was experiencing was caused by the high steroid dosage she was being given (which CAN have that affect) so he backed off a bit and finally took her to the doctor who told him flat out it was not the meds...and it was time for hospice. That day he had hospice at the house. My mom was gone less than two weeks later.

The problem here is that those meds for my MIL are keeping her comfortable. They were just increased for that reason. Backing off of them would make her suffer...and most likley will NOT help her regain her strength but I think until he sees that for himself he won't accept it. So she remains in the hospital as they attempt this adjustment, and of course while in the hospital she can continue to get dialysis there, but at some point the hospital will have to tell him they can do nothing for her. I still think my FIL is determined to bring her home and continue to try to get her to dialysis though.

So that was where we were when I left yesterday and went to see my doctor for my annual physical. That's where my day got worse as my doctor detected a lump during my routine exam. Since my mom was diagnosed with breast cancer initially back in 2005, I've had regular annual mammograms and did have one last year which was fine. Now I will go back this Friday to have a diagnostic mammogram to determine what this might be. Even if it's nothing, I'll most likely insist it be removed as soon as possible as a precaution. This is just not something I'm willing to risk with my family history.

This was something I would have normally shared with my mom...of course...but that not possible. I don't want to alarm the rest of my family right now and I'm working to remain positive on this one. My husband is the only family that knows right now and he is insisting on going with me to my appointment.

I swear one days this trip report will all be HAPPY stuff. I feel like I can't continue to post bad news when these boards are for things regarding my HAPPY PLACE! I'll be there soon enough.

51 days to go!
Dang it. Can you go through any more stuff? I have a friend who, because her mom and sister both got breast cancer and she had the gene, had both removed. If you would like to get in touch with her if you have question, I can make it happen.

My mom was the one who fought for her sister to NOT do hospice. It was so traumatic for the rest of the family. Your FIL will eventually understand and hopefully the doctors can really explain everything to him.

My mom has had lumps in the past and they were only calcium deposits. I hope this is all it is or nothing at all. I will be thinking about you guys this week. :hug:

Sorry my previous post was so jumbly. I dislike typing on my kindle and it kept getting stuck last night. My thoughts are with you. and I am sending you a virtual hug.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter