Heads up drivers going through Cincinnati, Major bridge construction starting.

Discussion in 'Transportation' started by kydisneyfans, Jun 19, 2017 at 8:05 AM.

1. kydisneyfans

kydisneyfans <font color=blue>It may be because they are too em

brentspence2017.org

There will be massive delays and various ramp closures starting this Friday. The bridge has long delays with 4 lanes, it will be cut to 2 for a few months. 275 is an option but that road is already heavily traveled and will get slammed with extra vehicles.

If planning a trip from the north, I'd consider 65 or 77 as alternates if you have a choice.

2. LadyBeBop

LadyBeBop DIS Veteran

Yes, this Northern Kentuckian knows about the I-75/Brent Spence Bridge construction. :mad:

I think this will last all summer. Needless to say, try to avoid Cincinnati during rush hour. But I don't think it's all I-275. Or even I-65 or 77.

I don't think I-275 will be slammed too terribly much. I think, during rush hour, I-471 will get slammed. That's the interstate going from the eastern part of Northern Kentucky to Cincinnati.

Here are my suggestions for getting around Cincinnati.

1) Take the western route on I-275 around Cincinnati. That's a little longer than the eastern route, however it's not as heavily travelled. Don't worry when you see signs saying "Welcome to Indiana." You're in Indiana for about three miles, then head back into Kentucky (or Ohio if going northbound).
    1a) If you're coming from Indiana (I-74), get off at I-275 going south, and take I-275 to I-75. That's much easier than going through Cincinnati anyway. Going north on I-275, get off at I-275 toward the airport and continue until you reach I-74.

2) If you're travelling at an offtime, you can try I-471. Going south on I-75, get off at State Route 562 (Norwood...I can't remember the exit number, but it's around Exit 7 or 8). That's a four lane highway with about a 50 MPH speed limit and no traffic lights. Continue until it ends in about 3 1/2 miles on I-71. Go south on I-71 about five miles until you get to the I-471 exit. (I think it's exit 2). Continue on I-471 (you'll cross the bridge into Kentucky) until you reach I-275. Take I-275 east toward the airport, but get off at Southbound I-75.

Going north on I-75, get off at I-275 going east. Travel about seven miles until you get to I-471 (going northbound...keep in mind, you have to get into the left lane). Travel on that until you cross the bridge, then take the next exit (Fort Washington Way toward I-75). You'll bypass the bridge traffic, and get on I-75 just north of the bridge.

I'm probably confusing people, so if you have questions, please message me.

Edited to add link from Cincinnati.com

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/new...ridge-closures-details-and-detours/408781001/

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017 at 3:54 PM
  3. Avatar

Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  4. Shaft41

Shaft41 Earning My Ears

Hmm. We're going into Cincinnati from the west (I74) to go the Cubs-Reds game on the 1st, and then heading southbound on I75 after the game for a few hours of driving. Not sure we'll have any choice but to go through this.

5. kydisneyfans

You will have more problems getting to the game than leaving, even though the stadium is before the bridge. Leave plenty of time and you will be fine.

Shaft41 likes this.
  6. kydisneyfans

These are real good alternates and instructions. My thoughts are the bypass will be slammed during rush hours, but manageable other times. Sometimes folks from Indy or Columbus ask for the best routes as some other routes are the same mileage, this would be the time to take the other route.

7. LadyBeBop

LadyBeBop DIS Veteran

Agree that the bulk of your problems will be arriving rather than leaving the game. Since the game is on a Saturday, I don't think you'll have too much problems.

Do you have the Waze app on your smart phone? You might be able to get around heavy traffic using that. Right now, I can think of a half-dozen ways to get from I-74 to the ball park without hitting I-75. However, they're a little convoluted and hard to explain to someone not from the area. Side streets and such. Waze will get you on these side streets and to the ball park.

Good luck.

8. Shaft41

Shaft41 Earning My Ears

Thanks for the info. I don't have the Waze app yey, but I've seen enough people sing its praises that I plan to get it before we leave.