Heading to Aulani...help!

tinkstyle

Earning My Ears
We will be taking our first trip to Hawaii in May (Me, DH and DD(9) and we are so excited! I have a couple of questions and I hope you all can help....

After reading a lot of threads we have decided to get a rental car. We are already planning on Pearl Harbor, Kualoa Ranch, Dole Pineapple Plantation and Diamond Head. We are still debating if we want to go the Polynesian Cultural Center...not sure if our DD will like it or not. What do you think are the island MUST DO's that we don't want to miss? Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated! Thanks!

We were there the first week of March. I would say Pearl Harbor is a must-do. You can even book your reservation online now.

The weather wasn't so great for us when we were there, but we all really loved driving along the coast to the North Shore. You can make stops along the way and check out all the beaches. It was really fun. We stopped at the pipeline, saw some sea turtles and got shaved ice at Matsumoto's.

Have a great trip! The resort is just beautiful!!

We've been to Honolulu a number of times so I may not have the perspective of a first time visitor, but two places that aren't mentioned very often on the boards are the Iolani Palace and the Bishop Museum in Honolulu. They're a fascinating look into a bit of Hawaiian history. Not sure if your son would enjoy it, but you could leave him at Aunty's Beach House while you make the trek out to downtown Honolulu.

We were at Aulani last month and had a wonderful time! Yes, it's a little out of the way, but we live California so we are used to driving - a lot. :rotfl:

We've been to Honolulu a number of times so I may not have the perspective of a first time visitor, but two places that aren't mentioned very often on the boards are the Iolani Palace and the Bishop Museum in Honolulu. They're a fascinating look into a bit of Hawaiian history. Not sure if your son would enjoy it, but you could leave him at Aunty's Beach House while you make the trek out to downtown Honolulu.

We were at Aulani last month and had a wonderful time! Yes, it's a little out of the way, but we live California so we are used to driving - a lot. :rotfl:

Thanks for the tip! Heading to Aulani in July!

Sorry... I have been out of pocket for awhile. Thanks sooooo much for the great tips and info. I really appreciate it!

We are headed to Aulani the end of July, my DH is on a foodie list at work so he posed the question of what eating/ food spots and others are not to be missed. So I have a big list that I will share with you based on all the recommendations, here they are direct from those folks in the know:

Alan Wong

Sam choy

Giovanni's shrimp truck on the north shore...garlic shrimp!!

Paradise Cove luau

Azure in the Royal Hawaiian

Haleiwa (north shore):

Kua Aina(burger place)

Koa Pancake House

Matsumoto's

Hole-in-the-wall for local food: Rainbow Drive-In, Diamond Head Grill & Market, Sidestreet Cafe

You must try these malasadas: Leonard’s bakery

Uncle Bo’s restaurant

• Morimoto Waikiki - http://morimotowaikiki.com/ (Chef Morimoto from Iron Chef)

o The food was extremely fresh, in a very modern hotel and something you don’t see quite often (in my opinion!). It was really great! 

• Duke’s - http://www.dukeswaikiki.com/ has great breakfast and lunch; more casual! Nice place to grab a beer and sit outside and enjoy the ocean!!

• Hula Grill - http://www.hulagrillwaikiki.com/ Great fish

• Chuck's Steak House - http://chuckssteakhouse.com/ - Great steaks!!

Must See:

Wiamea Valley (45 min hike to waterfall)

Kualoa Ranch

Diamond Head

Iolani Palace and the Bishop Museum in Honolulu

Hanuma bay

For a local atmosphere try Lulu's Waikiki Surf Club at the corner of Kalakaua and Kapahulu near the Zoo. Good food and a surfer atmosphere. Aslo a nice walk for shopping along Kalakaua and the beach.

I would say a drive over to Lanikai beach which is on the east side of the island is a must see and the drive over from Ko Olina is also a beautiful ride up through the mountains. Pack a lunch and spend some time on the beach. We also drove up to the North Shore and visited Haleiwa and then stopped off at Sunset beach for the sunset on our way back home. I'm not sure have if you have an affinity for astronomy but when I stayed at the Marriott in Ko Olina a couple of years agoa they had a local astronomer set up his telescope on the beach and gaze at the stars. The Marriott is right next door to the Aulani and I'm sure you can ask the concierge at the Marriott. In Hawaii, the stars are more visible since there really is less ambient light than on the mainland and you are in the middle of the ocean. It was amazing.

Don't forget the Dole Pineapple place, and DO NOT forget to get a malasada at Leonards! OOoooooh, are they good!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter