"He was looking for the Shell Station!!" *UPDATED 04/24 -PLAZA AND OHANA*COMPLETE!*

Day 5, Part 2.

Kona Cafe

We got there a little bit early, but they allowed us to check in and we were taken to a table. The table was a table for 4 in the middle of the restaurant, and we’d spotted a cosy little two top booth, so we asked if we could switch. Our server was very kind and told us yes. We soon learned that this was a mistake of us to move!

Our new server did not seem pleased at all that she had a new table in her section. As we are both currently servers, and we both used to serve at Disney, I can see this being annoying if I really wanted to go home or something, but I’d never make it obvious to the guest.

Anyway, this was my birthday lunch, I had made notes on my reservation, it was on our seating ticket, I had my birthday pin on, and the server didn’t even make a mention about it. I didn’t expect anything for my birthday, but maybe just a nice conversation about it or something?

Sam got a beer.

P1140225.jpg

And I got the Pomegranate Lemonade.

P1140226.jpg

It wasn’t as good as the Raspberry Lemonade, but I still drank a little of it.
Since it was lunch, we knew they didn’t serve the bread anymore, but we thought we’d ask just in case they had made any. Luckily enough they had! So we had the Hawaiian bread with the Macadamia Nut butter.

P1140229.jpg

P1140231.jpg

Really good bread! I think it’s my second favourite after Ohana’s Pineapple bread.

I already knew that I wanted the Asian Noodles with Chicken. This is what I always get at Kona!

P1140234.jpg

The sauce is described online as a ginger-garlic sauce. It is definitely a great sauce and I found this meal to be a nice change to things I normally order at WDW.

Sam got the Grilled Teriyaki Steak with Grilled Pineapple Salsa with Sweet Potato Fries. It was meant to come with sticky rice, but he got the fries instead. It also came with a Macaroni Salad.

P1140233.jpg

He loved this meal!! He ate the whole thing. I know he loves pineapple with savoury foods so this really was a good choice for him. I tried the Sweet Potato fries, and they were so good! Neither of us had ever had them before, and we loved them.

As it was my birthday, and we were at Kona... the best place for desserts, we had to get dessert!

Our server hadn’t checked back on us and spend all of her time with a table of 6 sitting nearby us. We felt totally ignored for the whole meal, so we weren’t too shocked when she took our entree plates away and gave us our check before even asking if we wanted dessert. She seemed annoyed when we said “Well actually, we wanted to order some dessert”..

She then asked us what we wanted, before we’d even looked at a menu or looked at any desserts on display. So we asked if we could see a menu before we decided. I was getting a little annoyed by this time, considering this was my birthday meal that I’d booked months in advance and I’d stupidly chosen one where I got bad service – urgh!

I chose the White Chocolate Cheesecake. I’d had it in the past and so I knew how good it was. This is the best cheesecake I’ve had anywhere! I don’t know anyone who has tried this and didn’t like it.

P1140239.jpg

Sam chose the Kilauea Torte – which is a hot liquid of chocolate inside a mini chocolate volcano.

P1140235.jpg

He regretted the choice. It was good, incredibly rich, and he decided he should’ve gone for the cheesecake.

Our check was reprinted and given to us (with the desserts on it) before we’d even started our desserts. We knew the server was really trying to rush us, but I just took my time. I didn’t want to rush my birthday lunch!

Maybe I'm just used to getting good service at Disney restaurants, but it has never ever been bad before, especially not this bad. I will return to Kona Cafe because I love the food and 9 times of out 10 our service has been great. I just hope I never get this particular lady again!

You’re probably wondering where my mystery resort stay was at! Sam informed me over lunch that we would be staying at.... WILDERNESS LODGE! I was SO HAPPY! This is my favourite resort ever! ... continued

We went back to get our stuff and went to check in. Last time we stayed at WL, we were upgraded to Concierge. This time, we weren’t so lucky, but the room we had was beautiful and had a gorgeous view of the pool and the main building.

turtle3.jpg

It was time to get ready for Mickey’s Not So Scary! We had our costumes planned well in advance. I was going to be Alice in Wonderland (my favourite character), and Sam was going to be the Mad Hatter. Unfortunately, that night it rained SO badly, that we had to carry ponchos and umbrellas with us! We still wore our costumes though, and didn’t let it ruin our trick or treating fun!

turtle5.jpg

We went over to the Lunching Pad in Tomorrowland where we bought a regular pretzel to share.

P1140390.jpg

It was good and salty, mmm.

When we got back that night, we emptied both of our treat bags onto the bed. Here’s what we got!!

P1140411.jpg

I discovered I didn’t really like Tootsie Rolls, but I did love Dots. Most of the mini chocolate bars got eaten, the rest I think we gave away to Sam’s family!

Next up..... Day 6 – Breakfast at Wilderness Lodge Roaring Forks & Lunch at Beaches and Cream

Great update and excellent resort choice by Sam. The Wilderness Lodge is our favourite resort at WDW.

Sorry your server at Kona wasn't the best. We have had two great meals there (breakfast and dinner) before but service is never that good. Lucky the food is awesome otherwise we wouldn't bother going back. And I totally agree with you about the white choc cheesecake - it is to die for :love:

BTW, for future refernce, without a doubt the best apple danish I've ever had in Orlando was from Croissant Moon at Islands of Adventure :love:

Great costumes for MNSSHP, by the way :thumbsup2

Really great reviews!!! Having fun reading them! Can't wait for more!!

Glad you are all enjoying the reviews :) i am too and can't wait to be reminded of the rest of the food! :D

Day 6

Breakfast at Roaring Forks

We woke up in the gorgeous Wilderness Lodge and had to pack everything up to return to All Star Sports. We decided to have breakfast at Roaring Forks – the quick service location at Wilderness Lodge.

We ate outside in the sunshine. It was a gorgeous day.

I chose an Apple Danish, and Sam chose a Cheese Danish. They were, as usual, delicious!

P1140414.jpg

After taking our things back to All Star Sports, we headed to Epcot. From Epcot, we walked to the International Gateway. We got caught in a rain shower and decided to run for Beaches and Cream!

We’ve been here a couple of times before. Once for the burgers (the BEST on Disney property) and second for the Kitchen Sink.

Sam got one of the Ice Cream Sodas. He got Vanilla.

P1140420.jpg

He did not enjoy it unfortunately. I tried it and I didn’t like it either but I’m not really into having ice cream with my soda anyway.

We shared a side of onion rings.

P1140425.jpg

They were huge!! I could put one around my wrist and use it as a bracelet lol! They were crunchy and tasty. The perfect onion rings :)

We both got a cheeseburger with fries. As I said before, these really are the best burgers in WDW. They are so juicy and tender. I have had the same burger at Hurricane Hannahs, just outside next to Beaches and Cream.

P1140427.jpg

Yummy!!

After this, we walked to Hollywood Studios to find the Tune-In Lounge. We never even knew it existed until right before this trip so we decided to check it out. We didn’t eat there, but it is definitely on our list for the future.

We are now 6 days into the trip, it was finally time to get a Mickey Premium Bar!!

P1140448.jpg

P1140449.jpg

I think we are addicted to these. I love the chocolate and the ice cream is so creamy and soft. However, I do miss the old ones with the little face on them!

After this, we walked back to Epcot, and we got a snack from the Hawaii F&W booth.

This was the Kalua Pork Slider with Sweet and Sour Dole Pineapple Chutney and Spicy Mayonnaise.

P1140454.jpg

P1140451.jpg

I didn’t really like it, but Sam loved it! He had to eat mine too.

We then visited the Poland Booth where Sam got the Golabki which is Pork Stuffed Cabbage. He really enjoyed this too!

P1140455.jpg

P1140458.jpg

And then we went to the China Booth. Sam got the Pork Pot Stickers. He is obsessed with pot stickers, so he HAD to try these!

P1140459.jpg

He LOVED them. I think he got these again because they were so good!

We love to sit in the gardens in the UK pavilion. So we went there to check out the new band. We didn’t like them as much as the British Invasion. We sat there until they’d finished and it was almost time for Illuminations. We decided to split a portion of chips from the Yorkshire County Fish Shoppe.

P1140472.jpg

These were as good as ever. Perfect with salt and vinegar on top. We shared these while watching Illuminations from the UK gardens.

P1140471.jpg

As it was Extra Magic, we decided to carry on walking around the World Showcase and choose different snacks!

We got a Sugar Crepe in France. These are soooooo good! I used to eat them all the time when I worked in the UK pavilion!

P1140492.jpg

I’m yet to try a different topping, but the chocolate ones look great too.

We stopped in Germany to look at Karamel Kuche and checked out the different kinds of Haribo that they had. We have a lot of Haribo in the UK but we don’t have these – Haribo Frogs!

P1140507.jpg

We didn’t buy any, just thought they looked funny!

Then we decided to choose our last snack of the day... something I’ve never had but Sam has had, and I’ve read SO much about!

Norway – School Bread

P1140516.jpg

Oh WOW, this was SOOOO good! I’ve read how it isn’t as good as it used to be, but since this was my first try I just thought it was amazing. I was so full from all the snacking throughout the day that I couldn’t finish it at all but it’s definitely something I’d recommend. The cream inside was just fantastic!

P1140519.jpg

And that brings us to the end of Day 6!

Coming up.. Day 7 - Food & Wine Festival, Writers Stop, Sunset Ranch Market & All Stars Gift Shop.

Great update. Had to laugh at the picture of your chips from the YCFS - like some chips with your salt, do ya :laughing:

Loving your reviews. I don't know how you waited 6 days for a Mickey Bar. I like to have one 6 minutes into my trip. :rotfl: I can't wait to get there during the F&W Festival someday. Until then I will have to live vicariously though others!

Just caught up :thumbsup2

Shame your service wasn't too good at Kona; I must admit we have never really received great service there :sad2:

I'm glad you love WL; it's our fave resort as well. Sitting outside with a danish in the morning is my idea of heaven :cloud9:

Great update. Had to laugh at the picture of your chips from the YCFS - like some chips with your salt, do ya :laughing:

:rotfl: I didn't realise it looked like that, oops! :lmao: And plenty of vinegar too!!

Loving your reviews. I don't know how you waited 6 days for a Mickey Bar. I like to have one 6 minutes into my trip. :rotfl: I can't wait to get there during the F&W Festival someday. Until then I will have to live vicariously though others!

Thanks! I know! I don't know how or why I waited so long for my Mickey bar??! I think 6 minutes into my next trip sounds good! You definitely need to go during F&W, this is the first time we'd really done it, and it was one of the best days of the trip. :love:

Just caught up :thumbsup2

Shame your service wasn't too good at Kona; I must admit we have never really received great service there :sad2:

I'm glad you love WL; it's our fave resort as well. Sitting outside with a danish in the morning is my idea of heaven :cloud9:

I'm hearing a lot of people say that about Kona. It is a shame. But I'll still keep going because of the food! You have a great taste in resorts! WL is the most beautiful place I have ever been! :love: Thanks for reading!

So fun to read the reviews from a former employee's perspective! Thanks for sharing with us!

Love the reviews! :goodvibes All of your meals look fabulous so far and out of the snacks you've tried, I must say the School Bread from Norway looks amazing! I will definitely be trying that on my next trip.

Love the reviews! :goodvibes All of your meals look fabulous so far and out of the snacks you've tried, I must say the School Bread from Norway looks amazing! I will definitely be trying that on my next trip.

Thanks for reading! I just read your dining review from last year. Great choice of resort!!

I have enjoyed your reviews. The onion rings at Beaches and Cream look incredibly good and you have posted the first pic of school bread that actually makes me want to try it.:lmao:

I am enjoying your review. All that food looks great and maybe my kids and I just enjoy having our Mickey ice cream bars so much that I just noticed that the ones with faces are missing.:lmao: But seriously that Norway school bread looks divine:littleangel:. Cant wait until September:cool1:.

Just joined in! Really good DR

Thank you! Update coming up :)

I am enjoying your review. All that food looks great and maybe my kids and I just enjoy having our Mickey ice cream bars so much that I just noticed that the ones with faces are missing.:lmao: But seriously that Norway school bread looks divine:littleangel:. Cant wait until September:cool1:.

:laughing: I'm glad someone else remembers the ones with the faces! September is one of my favourite times at WDW!

I have enjoyed your reviews. The onion rings at Beaches and Cream look incredibly good and you have posted the first pic of school bread that actually makes me want to try it.:lmao:

I never really thought school bread looked that good until I cut into it and saw the delicious inside! :cloud9: Thanks for reading!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter