Hawaii Excursion (Atlantis Submarine Adventure (KA01)) - Kahului, Maui

diznymom

DIS Veteran
We are cruising from Hawaii (10-night) in May, I'm looking at possible excursions.

Can anyone tell me about the Atlantis Submarine Adventure offered in Maui?

Thanks.

We have taken the Atlantis Sub Adventure in Cozumel and Grand Cayman (same tour company). It is a submarine carrying about 20 passengers plus crew. They transport you by boat to where the sub is waiting. Transfer from a bobbing boat to a bobbing sub. Take a narrow ladder down to the inside of the sub (NARROW as in better be on the slim side) watch your head, low ceiling. Sit bumper-to-bumper in the sub. If you don't mind cramped/confined spaces, this was a great adventure. We were down at various depth for about 20-25 minutes. Saw lots of wrecks, fish, etc. We had a great time and will do their operation wherever available.

Attachments

• 2017-01-10 13.57.07.jpg
    2017-01-10 13.57.07.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 10
We did this excursion while staying in Maui. It was a lot of fun! They take you out to the sub on a boat and you board the submarine. It seats about 20 (?) and everyone has a window to view out. They are large windows. I think we dove to 195 feet? but I would have to check my pics. They take you around the island a bit and you see dive sites and natural reefs. We saw a lot of fish and one shark. The captain narrates the whole time and ours was pretty funny. Then they ascend and coming out of the water is pretty dramatic and cool. You get off and get on the boat again and they return you to dock. The one thing I did like is they circled with the boat as we were leaving and we got to watch the next group descend. We all thought it was worth it.

Thank you for the comments. I think we will be doing this excursion.......something different for us.

We have taken the Atlantis Sub Adventure in Cozumel and Grand Cayman (same tour company). It is a submarine carrying about 20 passengers plus crew. They transport you by boat to where the sub is waiting. Transfer from a bobbing boat to a bobbing sub. Take a narrow ladder down to the inside of the sub (NARROW as in better be on the slim side) watch your head, low ceiling. Sit bumper-to-bumper in the sub. If you don't mind cramped/confined spaces, this was a great adventure. We were down at various depth for about 20-25 minutes. Saw lots of wrecks, fish, etc. We had a great time and will do their operation wherever available.
When you say "better be on the slim side", does that means those pooh-shaped or with beer bellies will not fit? Or just be uncomfortable on the ladder, but still make it in?

When you say "better be on the slim side", does that means those pooh-shaped or with beer bellies will not fit? Or just be uncomfortable on the ladder, but still make it in?
I'm 5'7" and 148 lbs. Going down the ladder (steps) it was narrow enough for me to notice how tight it was to get into the sub. The seats are preformed benches with a butt divot molded into the space you can occupy. Bumper-to-bumper or shoulder-to-shoulder is the configuration. A cheap airline seat is bigger than the butt divot. Take a look at their promo video so you can decide:

Thanks. It's really hard to see on the video, but it might not be too bad for the short time you're in there.

When we did this, my husband was pushing 300 and he is 6'2 . My son is 6 foot and 200 and I am,...welll let's say, I am not smallish either and all three of us sat side by side and were fine.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter