HAVING A GRAND OLD TIME! The 2013 Grand Floridian Resort & Villas FAQ

Status
Not open for further replies.
these are awesome questions! but i have no real answers, lol! i honestly think that (and i bet i speak for a few of us) the resort as a whole is so amazing that you can't really pick it apart. it's the gestalt, the sum of the parts, that makes it what it is. i'd be curious to see if you agree when you return! :goodvibes

Totally agree!:thumbsup2

I almost feel like putting a daily countdown up . . . But I won't LOL:dance3:

I could swear I asked this before and now I can't find it, maybe I did it in my dreams of the Grand Floridian . . . But which building has the best Theme Park Views? I think it was Boca Chica, but I am not sure . . .

Do you have a ritual for when you first arrive at the Grand? I am pretty sure I am just going to stand there with my mouth hanging open, but after that, what is the first thing you have to do at the Grand once you have checked in? :cheer2::goodvibes:goodvibes

The best outer building TPV rooms are in Sago Cay and Conch Key. Boca has some decent views, but they are at more of an angle.

As mickeynut posted, I don't have a ritual per se, but we like to spend time at the resort after check in. Wandering the grounds, hanging out in the lobby, shopping or having a meal. Heaven.:cloud9: Booking afternoon tea on the first day would be great, but you have to arrive by 2:00 p.m. or so. (tea is available between 2:00 and 6:00, but you have to give it plenty of time to arrive at the resort, get checked in, etc.)

Thanks :goodvibes. The Epcot resorts did actually enter my mind. My family has stayed at the BC and while we loved the resort and loved being close to Epcot/DHS, we think the CS is too limited for what we like (and if I know my sister's kids, they will need good CS options very close by at the resort :rotfl::rotfl:). But I do think the Epcot resorts are great and I would love to try the YC and BWI, but I'm having a hard time convincing my two DSs to stay on that side again due to the CS issue :sad2:.

I have to agree, my least favorite aspect of Y&BC is the CS options. Now that Hurricane Hanna's has been refurbed, I hope the choices are a bit better, but we do have the same issues. The only plus is that you are so near Epcot, you can hop over to World Showcase (if you have park hoppers, that is) - not a quick option, for sure, but a fun one.:teeth:

If you were not wowed by BC, you should definitely give YC a try. It has more the ambiance of the Grand - albeit a darker coloring. The beautiful woods and nautical touches are so soothing, we love YC.

Hello everyone!

My family is staying at the Grand Floridian for the first time this February and we are very excited! We are booked in an outer building, garden view room and I was wondering if I should make a specific building request? My primary concern would be that we have a quiet room. We enjoy walking and will be taking a stroller so the distance from the main building and transportation should not be a problem. Thanks so much! :goodvibes

Welcome, and congrats on your first GF stay!:cheer2:

For a quiet room, I'd suggest Sago Cay. It is away from the bustle of the courtyard, so the rooms have a calmer feel and you are removed from the noise. Close to Gasparilla's, the marina and the back path to the bus stop and/or self park, bonus!:thumbsup2

So excited to return to the GF. Have never been in November. We are arriving 11/18 at 1230 and leaving for mvmcp at 4, so trying to decide what to do til our room is ready. Are the pools heated and are there showers? I can't recall. Any other suggestions? It's my hubs, myself and DD12, DD 8 and DS 11. Thanks!

Hello everyone!

My family is staying at the Grand Floridian for the first time this February and we are very excited! We are booked in an outer building, garden view room and I was wondering if I should make a specific building request? My primary concern would be that we have a quiet room. We enjoy walking and will be taking a stroller so the distance from the main building and transportation should not be a problem. Thanks so much! :goodvibes

We liked Sago because it is a quick walk to lobby and buses. One side faces marina and the other the lake/monorail and yet these rooms are GV.

Really the courtyard pool is not as noisy as other resorts so not really a noisy location anywhere except maybe by pool with slide when they do afternoon activities.

So excited to return to the GF. Have never been in November. We are arriving 11/18 at 1230 and leaving for mvmcp at 4, so trying to decide what to do til our room is ready. Are the pools heated and are there showers? I can't recall. Any other suggestions? It's my hubs, myself and DD12, DD 8 and DS 11. Thanks!

Yes, the pools are heated and there are showers (at least by the Beach Pool, can't remember at the courtyard pool) - I have some photos, I'll post a link in a bit.

Just exploring the resort for an hour or so is a great way to pass the time. If you arrive at 12:30, by the time you check in and get settled in your room it will be close to time to leave for the party.

We liked Sago because it is a quick walk to lobby and buses. One side faces marina and the other the lake/monorail and yet these rooms are GV.

Really the courtyard pool is not as noisy as other resorts so not really a noisy location anywhere except maybe by pool with slide when they do afternoon activities.

Are the activities back at the Beach Pool now? I haven't heard, last I knew they were still at the courtyard pool, along with the nightly movies. Have the movies moved back to the beach, near the camp fire?

Inside Pool House at the Beach Pool:

Beach Pool House
IMG_0270.jpg

Beach Pool House, interior (taken during renovations, they usually sell sundries here)
IMG_0346.jpg

Phones, etc.
IMG_0344.jpg

Doorway to Ladies Room
IMG_0345.jpg

Lockers on right
IMG_0341.jpg

Sinks, hair dryer on left (you can see the baby changing table in the background, near the doorway)
IMG_0340.jpg

Shower stall
IMG_0339.jpg

Inside shower stall, soap dispenser
IMG_0342.jpg

Yes, the pools are heated and there are showers (at least by the Beach Pool, can't remember at the courtyard pool) - I have some photos, I'll post a link in a bit.

Just exploring the resort for an hour or so is a great way to pass the time. If you arrive at 12:30, by the time you check in and get settled in your room it will be close to time to leave for the party.

Are the activities back at the Beach Pool now? I haven't heard, last I knew they were still at the courtyard pool, along with the nightly movies. Have the movies moved back to the beach, near the camp fire?

HMM good question. When dd and I were there last in May 12 we took naps poolside because no noise. That was before pool remodel so maybe it is different now.
(it was really nice, only like 8 people total in that big pool in the afternoons)

HMM good question. When dd and I were there last in May 12 we took naps poolside because no noise. That was before pool remodel so maybe it is different now.

The activities and movies were at the courtyard pool during a lot of the DVC construction. We were there in April, before the walls were down at the Beach Pool, so it is possible they have been returned to the Beach Pool now that the beach construction is finished.

Hopefully, someone who has been recently can give us the answer!:goodvibes I assumed they planned to return the movies to the beach near the camp fire, but hadn't seen any posts about it.

Hi Everyone!! :wave2:

It's been forever since I've been on the Dis, we took a break from Disney all together after being frustrated about our last trip. (It was way back when they changed the Monorail hrs and I was a bit upset). We did some other trips, like Alaska and just visiting family in different parts of the country. Enjoyed the break! :goodvibes
Anyhoo, here I am and we are going back to the GF RPC for my birthday in January! :cheer2: I'm SO excited, I love it so much!!! Now I need to get caught up on all the changes with MBs and FP+....hoping it's all available to us when we go. Although I'm not sure about making plans for rides so far in advance, we are not that big of planners except for a few ADRs.

Off to read more about what's happening here on the Dis, but wanted to stop in here first and say hello!

Have the movies moved back to the beach, near the camp fire?

in august, the movies were on the beach but the poolside activities for kids were still, unfortunately, at the courtyard pool. i have no idea why, as there was ample room at the feature pool.

Thanks and thanks for the photos:) I don't want to be rushing around but also don't want to feel like I'm leaving something out....I don't "slow down" very well, even on vacation :)

Good Afternoon :wave2: Between sinus problems & a cold I've been MIA but I have been reading along....
grannyminnie,mickeynut1,Maxie86 & blue :wave2::flower3:
We are 75 days out from our first stay at the GF and I can't wait . . . I can't wait to see the gingerbread house and smell the lobby and see the decorations and spend time with the mouse . . . . I CAN'T WAIT!!!!:cool1::cool1::cool1:

Sorry . . . I'm just a little exicited!
:cool1::yay::dance3::cheer2: Congrats on your upcoming trip..Be sure to catch the gingerbread house demo in the lobby, not sure what time they happen I just happened to stumble upon it on one of our trips

these are awesome questions! but i have no real answers, lol! i honestly think that (and i bet i speak for a few of us) the resort as a whole is so amazing that you can't really pick it apart. it's the gestalt, the sum of the parts, that makes it what it is. i'd be curious to see if you agree when you return! :goodvibes

3. anything from victoria and albert's, but you will never be able to eat it more than once, lol. ;) at citricos i love the scallops. they are no longer on the menu but they will make them for you. i don't know if you are staying CL but it was those foods that completely haunted my dreams... the chips or flatbreads with the spinach artichoke dip, the scones, the baked brie, (the corn dogs- hanging head in shame), are just a few that i obsessed over!
Good suggestions for her & her family but I have to disagree with you about V&A :flower3:..Mom & I dine there every trip and I must say that the desserts have been the same for the last 6 years plus there are some items on the menu that never change not complaining though :):goodvibes

Hello everyone!

:cheer2::woohoo: Congrats on your first stay at the Grand....Hmmm maybe Conch Key is close to the water launch, Big Pine Key close to main building, Boca Chica close to courtyard pool & not too far from main, Sago close to Gaspies & bus stop....I don't think you can go wrong with any of those buildings

:santa: Yes both pools are heated but it is super cold your family might not want to go swimming you could have a nice lunch at the GF Cafe, shopping or just walking around the grounds...Fingers crossed that your room is ready at check in pixiedust:

Thanks :goodvibes. The Epcot resorts did actually enter my mind. My family has stayed at the BC and while we loved the resort and loved being close to Epcot/DHS, we think the CS is too limited for what we like (and if I know my sister's kids, they will need good CS options very close by at the resort :rotfl::rotfl:). But I do think the Epcot resorts are great and I would love to try the YC and BWI, but I'm having a hard time convincing my two DSs to stay on that side again due to the CS issue :sad2:. .

Just tell your DS's the ESPN Club is a short walk down the boardwalk, and Beaches and Cream is at the Beach Club. Both are favorites of ours. ::yes::

Hello everyone!

None of the buildings are very far from anywhere. I may be in the minority but I would not want to be in Sago, it is the furthest from everything except Gaspies, and the back way to the bus stop. Plus that is where most of the convention people are because it is close to the convention center. I'm on vacation, I don't want to be mixed up with a bunch of people working. :rotfl2: Boca Chica is close to both pools, the beach and main building, but with the fence around the pool you would have to walk around it or go through gates to cut through. I don't think noise is a problem anywhere at the GF.

(it was really nice, only like 8 people total in that big pool in the afternoons)

Sadly, the days of a quiet "quiet" pool are over. It is not a pool for adults any more. Most of the pool is under 3 feet deep, only a very very small area that is over 4 feet. It is more like a giant kids wading pool now. When we were there in May there was only three tables and they were by the pool bar. I never go in the water, DH did, but I loved to sit at a table and have a drink from the bar and sometimes eat lunch there. Since there were no tables there was also no shade. :sad2:

It's been forever since I've been on the Dis, we took a break from Disney all together after being frustrated about our last trip. (It was way back when they changed the Monorail hrs and I was a bit upset). We did some other trips, like Alaska and just visiting family in different parts of the country. Enjoyed the break! :goodvibes
Anyhoo, here I am and we are going back to the GF RPC for my birthday in January! :cheer2: I'm SO excited, I love it so much!!! Now I need to get caught up on all the changes with MBs and FP+....hoping it's all available to us when we go. Although I'm not sure about making plans for rides so far in advance, we are not that big of planners except for a few ADRs.

Off to read more about what's happening here on the Dis, but wanted to stop in here first and say hello!

Welcome back.

Hi ahcupcake. :wave2:

Just tell your DS's the ESPN Club is a short walk down the boardwalk, and Beaches and Cream is at the Beach Club. Both are favorites of ours. ::yes::

None of the buildings are very far from anywhere. I may be in the minority but I would not want to be in Sago, it is the furthest from everything except Gaspies, and the back way to the bus stop. Plus that is where most of the convention people are because it is close to the convention center. I'm on vacation, I don't want to be mixed up with a bunch of people working. :rotfl2: Boca Chica is close to both pools, the beach and main building, but with the fence around the pool you would have to walk around it or go through gates to cut through. I don't think noise is a problem anywhere at the GF.

Sadly, the days of a quiet "quiet" pool are over. It is not a pool for adults any more. Most of the pool is under 3 feet deep, only a very very small area that is over 4 feet. It is more like a giant kids wading pool now. When we were there in May there was only three tables and they were by the pool bar. I never go in the water, DH did, but I loved to sit at a table and have a drink from the bar and sometimes eat lunch there. Since there were no tables there was also no shade. :sad2:

Welcome back.

Hi ahcupcake. :wave2:
So sad. I loved that pool because of the depth and quietness . Poly got rid of the deep end too. Cr now only one with water for grown ups.:rolleyes2

I'm over the moon that our GF trip is coming up in 12 days!

Question for you veterans of GF! :cool2:

1. What is the one thing that is going to throw me over the top and make me stop in my tracks? pixiedust:

2. In what area will I find myself wanting to linger? :coffee:

3. What one food item from a GF restaurant (any of them) will visit me in my dreams at night and I will possibly eat it more than once? :rolleyes:

4. Where will I stop and stare and say, "Why oh why didn't I bring my Canon rebel camera?!" :guilty:

5. What will make me think, "Hmmm...this isn't what I was picturing..." :scratchin

I SO look forward to your answers! :yay:

12 days!!!! :dance3:

I really have to echo what others have already said.. ...stepping foot into the lobby...Ahhhh...:cloud9: it will stop you in your tracks..make you want to linger...and surely have you wishing that you had your camera along...

Ok answering a bit out of order..LOL..The almond crusted cheese cake at Narcoosees is so yummy and worth going back for again..and again..LOL...

I think you are just going to totally enjoy the whole resort!

We are 75 days out from our first stay at the GF and I can't wait . . . I can't wait to see the gingerbread house and smell the lobby and see the decorations and spend time with the mouse . . . . I CAN'T WAIT!!!!:cool1::cool1::cool1:

Sorry . . . I'm just a little exicited!

:cheer2: Nothing wrong with being excited!! I can almost smell the gingerbread now...! Have a GRAND vacation!

Subscribing!!

Booked our annual February trip for DD's 16th birthday... We are booked in CL

I am sure you get this question often, do they ever sprinkle pixie dust and move you to the main building?? GF is the only deluxe we have never stayed at, but AKL, CR, POLY, etc always seem to give you a bump.. Just wondered what a bump could be for a CL booking

I can't wait!!

How nice to be able to clelbrate your DD's birthday at the GF...princess: I'm sure that you will be making some very special emeories..

I almost feel like putting a daily countdown up . . . But I won't LOL:dance3:

I could swear I asked this before and now I can't find it, maybe I did it in my dreams of the Grand Floridian . . . But which building has the best Theme Park Views? I think it was Boca Chica, but I am not sure . . .

Do you have a ritual for when you first arrive at the Grand? I am pretty sure I am just going to stand there with my mouth hanging open, but after that, what is the first thing you have to do at the Grand once you have checked in? :cheer2::goodvibes:goodvibes

Nothing wrong with a daily countdown!!! :dance3: Lingering in the beautiful lobby is something we always like to do upon arrival the the GF....

I think that your two choices would be Sago Cay or Conch Key for a TPV..my recommendation would be Conch..as it is more centrally located.. nice and close to the boat dock..and the pool too..as k&a&c'smom has said...Sago seems a bit removed from the rest of the resort?? But still popular with many...Decisions..decisions..??

Hello everyone!

Congrats on your first stay at the GF!! :goodvibes Garden view can be of the gardens..of course..lol..the courtyard pool...of the marina..yes those are all considered GV...

Take a look at the map at the beginning of this thread...it will give you a good idea of which building you might like best... We never have had a issue with noise with any room..Sago since it is a bit more removed from the whole courtyard area might be best if you enjoy walking and for a more serene view.. Happy planning!

November is such a nice time to visit the world! And yes the pools are heated..and there are showers in the beach pool restroom...hair dryer too if I am not mistaken...sounds like a nice way to spend the afternoon if your room is not ready...or even if it is!

ETA..I see that k&a&c included a pic of the hair dryer in the bathroom...oops!! lol..

Hello everyone!

We had a GV in Big Pine Key and I loved it as it's convenient to the courtyard pool (and not too far from the beach pool), the main building, and Gasparillas. I don't remember having any trouble with noise.

I have to agree, my least favorite aspect of Y&BC is the CS options. Now that Hurricane Hanna's has been refurbed, I hope the choices are a bit better, but we do have the same issues. The only plus is that you are so near Epcot, you can hop over to World Showcase (if you have park hoppers, that is) - not a quick option, for sure, but a fun one.:teeth:

If you were not wowed by BC, you should definitely give YC a try. It has more the ambiance of the Grand - albeit a darker coloring. The beautiful woods and nautical touches are so soothing, we love YC.

Limited CS is really the only thing that keeps us from booking in the Epcot area again. We didn't have a good experience with the buses as they were shared among all 5 resorts, but that wouldn't be enough to keep us from staying in that area again....it's that darn CS :sad2:. I wish Disney would have added a decent CS in at least one of the Epcot resorts instead of the limited Marketplace.

I agree about the YC being like the GF, I think that's why it appeals to me. It is also quieter and more laid back than the BC (IMO). I'm still working on my DSs, so hopefully one of these trips we'll be able to try another Epcot resort ;).

So excited to return to the GF. Have never been in November.

I hope you have a magical trip......November is a great time to go :goodvibes.

Welcome back :). Congrats on booking RPC for your birthday. The GF is great in itself, but RPC is amazing :cloud9:.

Good Afternoon :wave2: Between sinus problems & a cold I've been MIA but I have been reading along....
grannyminnie,mickeynut1,Maxie86 & blue :wave2::flower3:

Hi ahcupcake :wave:. I hope you are feeling better soon.

I've tried everything I can think of to get them to sway toward the YC, but they aren't having any of it :sad2:. I will keep trying, though, because the Epcot area is nice and you can't beat walking to Epcot and DHS :thumbsup2. Thinking maybe a split stay might be in order for a future trip so we can do Epcot/DHS with our YC (or BWI) stay and MK/AK with our MK resort :goodvibes.

The activities and movies were at the courtyard pool during a lot of the DVC construction. We were there in April, before the walls were down at the Beach Pool, so it is possible they have been returned to the Beach Pool now that the beach construction is finished.

Hopefully, someone who has been recently can give us the answer!:goodvibes I assumed they planned to return the movies to the beach near the camp fire, but hadn't seen any posts about it.

As bethclayton said the movies were back on the beach during our last trip too..not sure about the activities..but I will gladly check that in a few weeks!!! :cheer2:

Have you been lonely without me posting at the same time the last few days!!??? :rotfl:

Welcome back! Nothing like a birthday celebration at the the GF :cake:.. Happy planning..ADR's FP+'s and all!

:wave2: MickeyNut..Grannyminnie too!

ahc Sorry that you have been so under the weather...Glad that you are starting to feel better tho....

maxie I agree about the courtyard pool..and have lamented about it here before...we too miss being able to swim in a pool with a deep end... I also think that it had a kind of serenity..such a nice relxing way to spend an afternoon...dont think we'll be doing any swimming in February..LOL..but I do think that we need to think about some dining...I have a few ideas...how about you?? Its always about the food! :goodvibes

Hope that all of my fellow GF fans had a terrific Thursday! :flower3:

ahcupcake - sorry you've been under the weather! Hope you are feeling much better.

Limited CS is really the only thing that keeps us from booking in the Epcot area again. We didn't have a good experience with the buses as they were shared among all 5 resorts, but that wouldn't be enough to keep us from staying in that area again....it's that darn CS :sad2:. I wish Disney would have added a decent CS in at least one of the Epcot resorts instead of the limited Marketplace.

I agree about the YC being like the GF, I think that's why it appeals to me. It is also quieter and more laid back than the BC (IMO). I'm still working on my DSs, so hopefully one of these trips we'll be able to try another Epcot resort ;).

I've tried everything I can think of to get them to sway toward the YC, but they aren't having any of it. I will keep trying, though, because the Epcot area is nice and you can't beat walking to Epcot and DHS :thumbsup2. Thinking maybe a split stay might be in order for a future trip so we can do Epcot/DHS with our YC (or BWI) stay and MK/AK with our MK resort.

I hope you can convince your family to give YC a shot, the split stay idea might just work! We recently did a split YC/GF stay, best of both worlds and YC CL is wonderful, the CMs treat you very well.:lovestruc

We like the rooms in BC but the public spaces of YC.~sigh~

About the buses - it seems the season dictates whether all 5 Epcot resorts are on the bus route. We have had all 5 in the past but lately we have had only Y&BC for MK - can't remember for sure about AK but I know it wasn't all 5.

As Maxie86 said, ESPN Club is so close and the prices are good (for WDW!).:teeth:

Welcome back, Stephanie! Good to hear from you.:hug:

I get what you are saying, we took a year off from WDW after a disappointing trip - went to Europe instead.:laughing: It made it all the sweeter when we returned, I hope you have an awesome trip. How could you not in RPC?!:cloud9:

in august, the movies were on the beach but the poolside activities for kids were still, unfortunately, at the courtyard pool. i have no idea why, as there was ample room at the feature pool.

Thanks, beth! I'll put that on the first page. When we were there in April, I saw the placards and set up for the activities at the courtyard pool and wondered why they were still there - the beach pool was open at that point.

Thanks and thanks for the photos:) I don't want to be rushing around but also don't want to feel like I'm leaving something out....I don't "slow down" very well, even on vacation :)

You are welcome! I understand about not wanting to miss anything. Planning a WDW trip is like a job sometimes.:laughing:

As bethclayton said the movies were back on the beach during our last trip too..not sure about the activities..but I will gladly check that in a few weeks!!! :cheer2:

Have you been lonely without me posting at the same time the last few days!!??? :rotfl:

Yes, I absolutely have!:rotfl2: Wondered where you had got to, not posting when I post.;)

Thanks for the update, I'll be looking forward to hearing all the details in a few weeks. I'll bet you can't wait!:cool1::cool1:

Sadly, the days of a quiet "quiet" pool are over. It is not a pool for adults any more. Most of the pool is under 3 feet deep, only a very very small area that is over 4 feet. It is more like a giant kids wading pool now. When we were there in May there was only three tables and they were by the pool bar. I never go in the water, DH did, but I loved to sit at a table and have a drink from the bar and sometimes eat lunch there. Since there were no tables there was also no shade.

maxie I agree about the courtyard pool..and have lamented about it here before...we too miss being able to swim in a pool with a deep end... I also think that it had a kind of serenity..such a nice relxing way to spend an afternoon...dont think we'll be doing any swimming in February..LOL..but I do think that we need to think about some dining...I have a few ideas...how about you?? Its always about the food! :goodvibes

Hope that all of my fellow GF fans had a terrific Thursday! :flower3:

I think most of us here are forlorn about the changes to the courtyard pool.:sad1: I miss the deep end and the serenity, too. We do swim a lot when we are on vacation, now there is no "swimming" at the GF! Wading, more like.

When we are at USO, we play a game of "point Disney" vs. "point Universal"! LOL! The pool depth HAD been a "point Disney" as the Loews pools are more wading than swimming.:sad: We still have SAB's lazy river - for now.

"Always about the food" - I can relate!;)

Does anyone know where I can find the GF's October Recreation and Activity listing?

Is there something specific you want to know about? The activities rarely change much, I can look at my April guide, or maybe someone here has their more recent activity list.:flower3:

ETA: if you were looking for the movies list, build a better mousetrip has a listing for the GF and Poly (not sure how accurate it is, they still list the GF movies at the courtyard lawn) :

Sunday - Wreck-It Ralph
Monday - Halloweentown
Tuesday - Frankenweenie
Wednesday - Nightmare Before Christmas
Thursday - Brave (Oct. 31 - Hocus Pocus)
Friday - The Little Mermaid
Saturday - Peter Pan

Disney's Polynesian Resort Movie Schedule ~ 8:30PM

Sunday - Robin Hood
Monday - Nightmare Before Christmas
Tuesday - Halloweentown
Wednesday - Frankenweenie
Thursday - Tarzan (Oct. 31 - Hocus Pocus)
Friday - The Sword and the Stone
Saturday - The Little Mermaid

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter