HAVING A GRAND OLD TIME! The 2013 Grand Floridian Resort & Villas FAQ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here are some photos of the outer buildings lobbies:

Sago Cay, from entry door - you can see the back door behind flowers
IMG_1554.jpg

Looking back at entry door (sorry so blurry!)
IMG_1542.jpg

Seating (you can see hallway with rooms behind sofa, with Exit sign)
IMG_1539.jpg

Central lobby, from above (this is old, the seating areas are different and hard to see)
IMG_0045.jpg

I have a better overhead photo, I'll have to look for it - it is not in my Photobucket account!

JoBird

Glad to hear you are feeling much better today. Even though it will be a not be the same without her, you can't take away the memories in your heart that you will always have! Think of it as a new chapter in your life , When my oldest son got married last year every time I walked by his room I cried thank god my daughter in law tolerates me:laughing: and He only lives 5 minutes away. He still comes to Disney with us every year and now I just found out I'm gonna be a grandmom OMG already planning our Disney trip with the new baby!!!!!!!!
Seeing Disney through the eyes of a child again I'm so lucky:cloud9:

:goodvibes Congratualtions! What wonderful new Disney trips to look forward too!!

YES! OMG--- congratulations!!:cheer2: That is so exciting and wonderful! I know you are thrilled to be able to take that baby to the Grand!!:cloud9: It will be so wonderful to have them so close to you, for you to spoil that little preciousness.

Okay so a question? I have never taken the monorail early to the MK. I'm trying to get there before park opening for an 8 am Breakfast at CRT. Anyone know what time the Resort monorail starts picking up at the GF? Thanks!

I think that the monorail usually starts running 1 hour prior to park opening??

It's not too late people!!!!

Go to cheaptickets.com and code is cheaperific!
An extra 20% off of Disney's sale. So GF was 30 % and CR and Poly only 20% so GF ended up being cheaper than even SS and AKL! :cool1:

Good for sept - dec 24th:thumbsup2

Lots of boardwalk area sold out due to F & W but hey a sale is a sale:)

:thumbsup2 Thanks Trisha I am going to check that site out!

And even more....book through ebates and get additional cash! I actually used the cheap tickets rate, but booked through ebates on the travelocity link. travelocity was paying a higher rebates (ebate) AND travelocity will match prices. SO...I screen shot (VERY important!!!) the final rate page on cheap tickets using the cheaperific coupon, then booked travelocity through ebates which when I include the $198 check on the way, my final discount was 49% off the fall rate!!!! :thumbsup2

:thumbsup2 :thumbsup2 Wow more good discount info...thanks! How nice that you are able to celebrate your parents anniversary at the GF!! :goodvibes As for the best building for your parents location wise.. I agree that Sago is closer to the bus stop..Gasparillas..even the marina area which is nice for fireworks viewing or just relaxing.. I think all most of the outer buildings are equal distance from the main building and monorail... Have a Grand trip! :flower3:

k&a&c'smom What pretty pics! Love that all of the outer buildings have the original tile floors...So pretty...

Autumnpalm Have a great trip! :cheer2: Love to know if any more of the construction walls have been taken down... and how the beach area looks...

k&a&c'smom What pretty pics! Love that all of the outer buildings have the original tile floors...So pretty...

Thanks! I wish two of them were in better focus, lol. I love the carpet in these photos, I can't remember if they have changed it with the lobby carpet, do you? These colors are more to my liking than the new lobby carpet, too much bright pink for me.

Here are some photos of the outer buildings lobbies:

Sago Cay, from entry door - you can see the back door behind flowers
IMG_1554.jpg

Looking back at entry door (sorry so blurry!)
IMG_1542.jpg

Seating (you can see hallway with rooms behind sofa, with Exit sign)
IMG_1539.jpg

Central lobby, from above (this is old, the seating areas are different and hard to see)
IMG_0045.jpg

I have a better overhead photo, I'll have to look for it - it is not in my Photobucket account!

OOOH thanks! Getting excited now:goodvibes

I plan on requesting Sago. We loved watching monorail from our room and the other side is the marina. Can't go wrong with either.

Photos are so nice, that might have just tipped me over from cr, lol. Question, is the elevator located in the center of the building, close by the photos of the entrance that you posted ? Thanks again!

Getting excited, we are staying at the Grand for the first time in February! It will be my family's first time staying deluxe!! My parents are bringing us and my sibling's families as well!! Now I have to read through this awesome thread, thanks in advance for all the info on the Grand!!!!:wave2::wave2:

Photos are so nice, that might have just tipped me over from cr, lol. Question, is the elevator located in the center of the building, close by the photos of the entrance that you posted ? Thanks again!

Elevators are in the center. ( there are doors also in center but usually you enter at the end, walk down hall, then lobby area with elevator). You can walk outside then enter side door and be in lobby with elevator.

Hmmm hard to choose isn't it? Stay at one this time and the other the next:thumbsup2

Really they all have strengths, there is not a "best resort" . I love Poly , CR , GF , BLT and looking forward to VGF . For us being near MK is the BEST:goodvibes

Good luck deciding:wave2:

OOOH thanks! Getting excited now:goodvibes

I plan on requesting Sago. We loved watching monorail from our room and the other side is the marina. Can't go wrong with either.

I know some DISers do prefer the monorail side of Sago, kids love watching the monorail. I prefer being in the courtyard area of the resort, but I see the appeal.:)

:goodvibes All the photos make you want to be there, don't they?!:cloud9: Part of the reason I'm longing for another visit, I've been sorting through my photo files for the first page.~sigh~

You can see one of the elevators in the photo of the sofa (there are two, next to each other) - the gold doors behind it. As trishadono posted, these doors are in the center of the building, there are exits at either end as well. You can enter from either side of each building, though some of the buildings aren't very accessible from the back side! One reason I like Conch Key, it has so many ways to get into the building.

Getting excited, we are staying at the Grand for the first time in February! It will be my family's first time staying deluxe!! My parents are bringing us and my sibling's families as well!! Now I have to read through this awesome thread, thanks in advance for all the info on the Grand!!!!:wave2::wave2:

:banana: Your first stay, how exciting! And first deluxe - you will be spoiled for any other resort.;)

As you read through the first page, keep in mind you will want to return - I have more photos to add, I'm taking a break for a day or so. My eyes were beginning to cross.:laughing: I should be (mostly) finished in a few days, at which point I plan to add a "Table of Contents" on the first post.

Elevators are in the center. ( there are doors also in center but usually you enter at the end, walk down hall, then lobby area with elevator). You can walk outside then enter side door and be in lobby with elevator.

Hmmm hard to choose isn't it? Stay at one this time and the other the next:thumbsup2

Really they all have strengths, there is not a "best resort" . I love Poly , CR , GF , BLT and looking forward to VGF . For us being near MK is the BEST:goodvibes

Good luck deciding:wave2:

HOW DARE YOU?!? Of course, there's a best resort - the Grand.:eek:

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: Just kidding, we love many of the resorts at WDW, we always have a hard time choosing. You'd think each trip was our last, the way we ponder our resort choice.;) Which is why we've done so many split stays.

Do you know, we almost never enter the outer buildings from anywhere but the main doors? Silly, I know.:)

I know some DISers do prefer the monorail side of Sago, kids love watching the monorail. I prefer being in the courtyard area of the resort, but I see the appeal.:)

:goodvibes All the photos make you want to be there, don't they?!:cloud9: Part of the reason I'm longing for another visit, I've been sorting through my photos files for the first page.~sigh~

You can see one of the elevators in the photo of the sofa (there are two, next to each other) - the gold doors behind it. As trishadono posted, these doors are in the center of the building, there are exits at either end as well. You can enter from either side of each building, though some of the buildings aren't very accessible from the back side! One reason I like Conch Key, it has so many ways to get into the building.

:banana: Your first stay, how exciting! And first deluxe - you will be spoiled for any other resort.;)

As you read through the first page, keep in mind you will want to return - I have more photos to add, I'm taking a break for a day or so. My eyes were beginning to cross.:laughing: I should be (mostly) finished in a day or so, at which point I plan to add a "Table of Contents" on the first post.

HOW DARE YOU?!? Of course, there's a best resort - the Grand.:eek:

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: Just kidding, we love many of the resorts at WDW, we always have a hard time choosing. You'd think each trip was our last, the way we ponder our resort choice.;) Which is why we've done so many split stays.

Do you know, we almost never enter the outer buildings from anywhere but the main doors? Silly, I know.:)

CHILLAX K&A&C's mom:goodvibes

I am booked 11/8-11/8 at GF , then 1/1-1/2 GF SL, then 1/2-1/5 at VGF!

I heart GF:lovestruc

( don't always the $ thou )

I would love t see some Tpv pics from each of the buildings, just to dream,lol

TPV from 4th floor of Conch Key...

Zoomed in slightly:

Zoomed in more:

Pixie dust backstory: DH, DD and I had a wonderful stay at the GF for DD's first trip when she was 3 1/2. We loved the GF so much that we convinced all our parents to come with us the following year - they all fell in love with the GF, too! Six years and a few WDW trips later, we got them all to come with us a second time...they had all saved for quite a while to come back with us.

Well, not only did they book our three rooms in a row, but they upgraded us all from GV to TPV! It was such a wonderful surprise and became the trip of a lifetime for our parents! Watching the fireworks from our balcony (DD wanted a pajama party in our room every night!) was certainly magical, and it meant so much to us all to be enjoying that spectacular view together.

My dream is to be able to treat them to RPC sometime in the future - DH thinks I'm crazy because of the insane expense, but they are all so very special to us and they would be blown away by the RPC experience...hopefully someday...

:sunny:

TPV from 4th floor of Conch Key...

Zoomed in slightly:

Zoomed in more:

Pixie dust backstory: DH, DD and I had a wonderful stay at the GF for DD's first trip when she was 3 1/2. We loved the GF so much that we convinced all our parents to come with us the following year - they all fell in love with the GF, too! Six years and a few WDW trips later, we got them all to come with us a second time...they had all saved for quite a while to come back with us.

Well, not only did they book our three rooms in a row, but they upgraded us all from GV to TPV! It was such a wonderful surprise and became the trip of a lifetime for our parents! Watching the fireworks from our balcony (DD wanted a pajama party in our room every night!) was certainly magical, and it meant so much to us all to be enjoying that spectacular view together.

My dream is to be able to treat them to RPC sometime in the future - DH thinks I'm crazy because of the insane expense, but they are all so very special to us and they would be blown away by the RPC experience...hopefully someday...

:sunny:

Nice pics, thanks for posting:goodvibes

Also what I have done with dd on mom n me trips might work for you.

I book the last night or two at a club level as a grand finale for the trip,

If you stay at the same resort then moving your things would be easy. At 6-8am check in. You have a good chance your room being ready . ( move your things or get bell services to transfer or hold). Also you have access to lounge this early and can enjoy breakfast then head to park etc.

Another option is to switch resorts. Taxi over your luggage or send with bell services ( will get between 1-5p).

Or on next trip,we are starting at SL then moving to VGF. That way we get to have snacks on our moving in day to villa (lounge is free to enjoy until midnight on checkout day)

Phyliss1966 thanks for the pic and the great story! I also travel with my parents and have had many wonderful firework/ pj party with our son. We are going to be construction forced transplants from the poly, lol. The views from gf look nice, most seem to have a somewhat side view of mk? Am I right?

Hey, everyone! A little reminder, when you quote a post with photos try to to remember to delete the photo url, so we don't have the same photos over and over again. The webmasters hate it, as it takes up so much bandwidth.:flower3:

trishadono - :laughing: I had to tease you, since we are on the GF thread.;)

Phyllis1966 - thanks for the photo, lovely view. What a magical upgrade!

I hope you are able to have that RPC stay with your parents, I know it would be very special for all of you.pixiedust: We have added club at the end of our stays, too, so that is an option.

Jennygt - yes, due to the location of the Grand, it is an angled view of the castle, rather than the dead on view at the Poly. Hard to beat the Poly TPV, isn't it?! However, the castle is closer at the Grand, so there's that.:teeth:

ETA: Misti posted some beautiful photos of her first floor, TPV room in an old FAQ, here and here.

Here is a link to minnisota's photos of her RPC TPV!

I'll see if I can find some of the other buildings.

ETA: Boca Chica TPV here and here.

Here is a post with a good aerial shot of the GF buildings. As you can see, the Sago Cay and Conch Key rooms face more directly at the MK.

So I am in *serious planning mode*...(aren't we always:lmao:) for our upcoming late July 2014 trip. We will be Poly transplants given the upcoming destruction, sorry CONstruction, at the Poly.

I have been playing around on the Disney website and can only find a full week(after rates drop on the 14th) of GV availability from July 20-27. I also noticed that RPC is not available either. I know many mentioned on here they think the soft goods refurb may be going on at that time and that is why RPC is unavailable but it doesn't make sense for GV. Is there a large convention booked at the end of July that is holding rooms? Anyone know?

So I am in *serious planning mode*...(aren't we always:lmao:) for our upcoming late July 2014 trip. We will be Poly transplants given the upcoming destruction, sorry CONstruction, at the Poly.

I have been playing around on the Disney website and can only find a full week(after rates drop on the 14th) of GV availability from July 20-27. I also noticed that RPC is not available either. I know many mentioned on here they think the soft goods refurb may be going on at that time and that is why RPC is unavailable but it doesn't make sense for GV. Is there a large convention booked at the end of July that is holding rooms? Anyone know?

This has been a big topic of discussion!:) I'm not sure what's going on with the Grand rooms for 2014, but I seem to remember a similar dilemma last year for 2013 rooms.:confused: If memory serves, there were large blocks of dates that various categories would not come up on the booking engine - and they finally appeared weeks or months later.

I hope this is the case, and you are able to snag the dates and room categories you want. Seems kind of odd to have so many rooms unavailable right when the Poly will have rooms out of service.:scratchin

Does anyone know how pricing a room upgrade works once you are checking in?

A little background: We have two lagoon rooms booked and we have them linked with a note that we would like the rooms to be near each other/same floor. What we would really liked booked is one TPV room and one lagoon or garden room, but we are worried that the rooms won't be anywhere near each other.

Should we ask if there is availability when we get there... or is our request too hard to accommodate?

Also, how does upgrade pricing work. We booked the rooms with a 30% discount, so upgrading to a rack rate TPV room would be about 1800.... or do rooms work like tickets and there is price bridging involved and then it would only be around 500 (Lagoon rack --> TPV rack)

We don't mind paying for the upgrade, we just want to make sure DD7 can easily get from our room to my parents room.

Here is a link to minnisota's photos of her RPC TPV!

I'll see if I can find some of the other buildings.

ETA: Boca Chica TPV here and here.

Here is a post with a good aerial shot of the GF buildings. As you can see, the Sago Cay and Conch Key rooms face more directly at the MK.

That aerial shot is great! It's helping me to choose what to request. We booked an outer building garden view. I'll have my older parents with me, so I know we want to be somewhat close to gasparilla and the cafe and the main building. Right now, I'm thinking of requesting the end of Pine close to the main building or Sago Cay near the main building.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!