HAVING A GRAND OLD TIME! The 2013 Grand Floridian Resort & Villas FAQ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for working so hard on the new thread- it's great!! You always do such a wonderful job keeping us all in one spot and up to date!
We appreciate it!!! :hug:

Woohoo shiny new digs!!! Thank you for the new thread!!! :hug:Lovely like its hostess:goodvibes

Hey, glad everyone is finding the new thread.:goodvibes Thanks for all the kind words.

Am I first???? :goodvibes

How appropriate! I just booked our 1st GF stay this afternoon! We will be in Sugarloaf for 8 nights! 8/16/14 - 8/24/14! Can't wait! :cool1:

ETA: I saw your answers to my questions in the other thread....thank you!!!

Very appropriate!:goodvibes Glad you saw the other post, you're welcome.

I missed a couple posts on the old FAQ, so thought I'd quote and answer over here.

Tink rules - thanks for posting that photo of the dormer balcony, I'm going to copy it below so everyone can see it.:thumbsup2

GrandFlo078.jpg
copied from allears

Thanks to everyone who responded to my question from last week. We went to the beach for a few days. We actually ended up leaving sooner than we planned because the weather wasn't very good. We'll put our savings toward our Disney trip!:)

Thanks for your thoughts. We have been planning this trip for quite a while. Originally, I was going to go over this past spring break. DH and DS were worried about the crowds and the timing just was bad for us, so around January I switched to Thanksgiving week. Then I switched to the week after Thanksgiving since that's when we have gone before and the crowds weren't bad. We also got free dining that week a couple of times. When the discounts came out, our TA tried for a RO discount for the CL room we had, but it wasn't available. Since the FD was a bigger savings and I had started to worry about the kids missing a whole week of school, we switched back to Thanksgiving week with FD, but no CL. More info than is necessary, just to say that the only discount we were able to get was FD (although initially we could have changed room catagory with RO discount the first week of Dec, but my school worries were too much and now that's not an option.)

Before the discounts were released, I was planning on doing just what you said. Using the CL for supplementing our meals and doing meal sharing at restaurants. It's just hard to pay rack rate, when discounts were available so I felt we needed to do it. I do keep checking to see if CL opens up, so we'll see what happens. I do have some great dining reservations, so at least we will eat well with the FD.;)

Maybe I'll see about doing garden view since both you and k&a&c'smom think it's better than lagoon view. My TA just grabbed the lagoon view and I didn't really think about the other.

Thanks for the info. Maybe I'll try to request that, but since I just have lagoon view I don't know that I'd get it.

I agree with the DDP not being a very good deal anymore. The first time we got it years ago, I think you got an appetizer as well as dessert (too much food, but nice to sample things) and the tip was included, plus it cost less. Then it was a deal. If the FD weren't the only discount we could get, I would not pay for DDP.

:wave: Glad you have some savings to add to your WDW fund.

LOL about more info than necessary, no worries. I see how you came to your decision, I agree it is probably the best bet for this trip. Good luck with your planning! Yummy about the restaurants, always a plus.

Regarding your answer about the corner rooms (only having lagoon booked), you can still request a corner room without specific location. That way, even if you have a garden view booked (if you are able to make that switch, and still desire it) it won't look like you are trying to beg for an upgrade - but still, maybe get one.;) I would say, "corner room, Big Pine Key" or "corner room, Boca Chica" (whichever building you prefer, if you get my meaning) or however you want to phrase your requests. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.pixiedust:

Having a grand time:

GV 11/8-11

CL SL 1/1-1/2

VGF 1/2-1/5

If I could only get in RPC it would be a grand slam!

Nice job K&A&C'S mom:goodvibes

Great thread enjoy checking in at least once a day!!!!!!!!!!

Really appreciate it , just love the Grand and enjoy reading about it

A new GF thread...Thanks k&a&c'smom :goodvibes

trishadono At least you've got the trifecta!

Hi MickeyNut !!

Woohoo, a new thread! Thanks for doing this! I've been lurking on the last one reading whatever I can find. We're considering GF for May 2014, since the Poly construction is so up in the air. First time at GF, other than Citricos for dinner.

Can some of you knowledgeable gurus post a summary of what is/isn't under construction at this point at GF, and how you think that would affect guests in the various buildings? We'll have our DD7 with us and would love advice on non-CL quieter room/bldg choices. We would prefer not to hear the 2am boat horns or the band playing all night.

Also, where to find Mickey Waffles for breakfast? ahem..for my DD, of course... :rolleyes1

How appropriate! I just booked our 1st GF stay this afternoon! We will be in Sugarloaf for 8 nights! 8/16/14 - 8/24/14! Can't wait! :cool1:

I thought your family didn't like GF because it reminded them of a nursing home.:lmao:I guess you have changed your mind.:confused3 I have always wanted to try the resort. I can't get past the price compared to WL CL. Have a great time. :goodvibes

I thought your family didn't like GF because it reminded them of a nursing home.:lmao:I guess you have changed your mind.:confused3 I have always wanted to try the resort. I can't get past the price compared to WL CL. Have a great time. :goodvibes

Oh yes, DH had lots of things to say about the switch (gotta love his sense of humor) :rotfl:

But, as far as our list of "resort requirements" go, GF hits all but one (ability to walk to a park) and our other options were missing more than one requirement.

It has everything we want and need, and once DH reviewed the list, he said that he bets we probably end up loving it. :goodvibes

The price isn't too awful....we have 40% off so and going during value season so the nightly rate is actually a little less than what we paid for YC CL this past April. Still isn't super cheap though. :rolleyes:

Beautiful new FAQ, k&a&c'smom! :hug:

Congrats to Candy and anyone else who is now an owner at VGF. Can't wait to stay there although we didn't purchase.

vernema, the construction of the villas will be over long before your trip. The band plays inside the main building and can't be heard anywhere else.

k&a&'csmom Thank you for doing this! :cheer2: I have been checking in several times a day to see how everyone is!

I've been lurking on the last one reading whatever I can find. We're considering GF for May 2014, since the Poly construction is so up in the air. First time at GF, other than Citricos for dinner.

Can some of you knowledgeable gurus post a summary of what is/isn't under construction at this point at GF, and how you think that would affect guests in the various buildings? We'll have our DD7 with us and would love advice on non-CL quieter room/bldg choices. We would prefer not to hear the 2am boat horns or the band playing all night.

Also, where to find Mickey Waffles for breakfast? ahem..for my DD, of course... :rolleyes1

You will love the GF if you choose it for your stay ::yes::. As the pp said, construction will be over by the time your trip rolls around so no worries there. If you're looking for CS breakfast, you can find Mickey waffles at Gasparillas :).

I have always wanted to try the resort. I can't get past the price compared to WL CL. Have a great time. :goodvibes

I agree that CL at the GF is pricey, but if you ever get the chance to stay in the main building, it is well worth it, IMO. For me, WL CL ranks right up there with RPC. I didn't care for SL (sorry SL fans....BlueSkies ;)), but that's what is so great about Disney.....there's something for everyone's taste and budget :wizard:.

:goodvibes congrats on booking SL! You are going to love it..Its our preference for summer visits to the GF becuase of its close proximity to the CY pool and the boat dock too...

:confused3 BTW..am curious on how you got that awesome 40% discount :thumbsup2..the most we have been able to get recently is the 35% off offered with a BB ressie..

k&a&'csmom Thank you for doing this! :cheer2: I have been checking in several times a day to see how everyone is!

:wave2: Hi MommyGina..

Woohoo, a new thread! Thanks for doing this! I've been lurking on the last one reading whatever I can find. We're considering GF for May 2014, since the Poly construction is so up in the air. First time at GF, other than Citricos for dinner.

As BCV has pointed out the music can only be heard in the main building...and is only until 10pm...and although I do believe all of the construction will be finished by the time of your trip..I do think there will be room refurbs going on..which may effect the availablity of certain buildings...

Dont think that you need to worry about 2am boat horns...LOL..dont think the boats are generally running that late...my recommendation for a quieter building would be to request Sago ...that building is closest to the wooded area...and furthest from the hustle bustle (although I dont think it ever really feels hustley bustley ( I think I made that word up..LOL....!!??) of the courtyard area...

And..as for that Mickey waffle...your DD and as well who ever else might want one ;) can be had at the GF Cafe..and also at Gasparillas...

MickeyNut Good morning!:surfweb:...ETA..just saw that we were posting at the same time!! :goodvibes ..LOL..on the Sugar...I do like it!

For quiet sago is good. We were on side facing monorail and fun to watch. The other side faces marina and would therefore be noisier.

I am thinking of requesting sago myself since that building is GV but most views are really water views. Dh loves lake and boats:)

Anyone check in recently and remember what checkin options were? Only have 2 weeks or so to my check in.

Villas will be open when I am there and hope to get more pics!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter