• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

HAVING A GRAND OLD TIME! The 2013 Grand Floridian Resort & Villas FAQ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, but isn't the view of the castle from the GF closer up?

Yes, good point!:goodvibes We love seeing the castle from the upper floors at the Grand, it looks so big. Not as big as when you are seeing it from the CR, but still...it's a trade off, I guess.:wizard:

I always use the IPO to book my ADRs. I've never had a problem, even if I change my mind. We added my niece to the reservation last year and they did a great job to get us what we originally had, even into BOG! January 16 is our 180 day mark for them to do their magic again for us!

Thank you very much, MommyGina! We'll ask them to do their magic thing, too! :)

Just 5 more days until my stay at the Villas at GF! I can't wait! I love this thread, so much information!

How exciting :yay:. The villas look beautiful. Hope you will report back about your stay :).

Hi to all my fellow GF fans! :wave2:

Just back from another wonderful stay at the GF...:cloud9:

But back to reality is never fun...

Just a drive by :moped:... as my to do list today is loooong....

But I will be back with a review..and some pics

Welcome back :goodvibes....can't wait to read your review and see all of your great pics ::yes::.

I'm in single digits! :banana:

It won't be long now :cool1::cool1:

We got this crazy idea to try to switch our reservations from a standard room to a villa... Our trip is dec/jan ... We called and of course they are all booked... Praying for a last minute cancellation! (Wishful thinking)

If u arrive at WDW at 9 pm would u just stay in a regular room at the GF and then check into RPC the next morning?? I really hate paying all that money to sleep but it would be nice to be all settled in. My main worry is that I am running the half marathon on a Saturday. We do not get there til late Thursday night. I feel I will be rushed switching rooms, possibly waiting on a room to be ready and having to get to the expo.

Any ideas ??

If u arrive at WDW at 9 pm would u just stay in a regular room at the GF and then check into RPC the next morning?? I really hate paying all that money to sleep but it would be nice to be all settled in. My main worry is that I am running the half marathon on a Saturday. We do not get there til late Thursday night. I feel I will be rushed switching rooms, possibly waiting on a room to be ready and having to get to the expo.

Any ideas ??

We have never switched after one night and here is why. When I get up that first morning I have always thought to my self " yay I am here, we are going to have a great day!!!!" I don't want to get up pack and move on the first day of my vacation.

HOWEVER, this upcoming January we have our annual family disney trip this time at VGF. Originally we were 1/1-1/5. 1/1 rate for 2 br villa was :scared1:

I decided since kids are 18,16 and we have been to the world many times moving to save big bucks would be worth it. We arrive 8pm and will stay SL. Moving from SL to the villas should be fairly easy since we will either check in early or at least have our luggage stored right there(no worries about hotel to hotel transfer).

One way to think about it is not th think about the price per night. Just tell yourself it is $$ to stay for my trip. Honestly if on vacation, be on vacation. Transferring is not easy. I would stay put.

What do you want to do that first morning? :confused3Enjoy breakfast at RPC :cloud9:or pack and move:scratchin

Any ideas ??

I may be in the minority, but if it were me, I'd book RPC and get settled. We have arrived very late in the past (like midnight) and although that first night is a little pricey just for sleeping, I love waking up the next morning ready to start the day rather than checking in again and moving. Plus there is a chance you will be without a room as your room might not be available until later in the day.

Thanks! I am just gonna check in an enjoy my expensive sleep!! Lol

We did get the deluxe king... Not sure which room to request. I just can't wait!! Getting so very excited!!

We did get the deluxe king... Not sure which room to request. I just can't wait!! Getting so very excited!!

That nice MK view shown up above is the view if you get put on 2nd floor(Minniesota's photo). The other 6 rooms are in the octagon towers on the side of the building facing VGF.

I have my first stay at RPC next week also deluxe king. I did not make a request because I love the shape of the octagon rooms but that view of MK is awesome too:goodvibes

I will check in during or after my trip and let people know what I got.

RPC and F&W all in one weekend. I am going to gain a few pounds but well worth it.:p

Oh thanks! I am kind of ready to w it and see what happens. I do lovey balcony though! Be very interested in what room u get and how u like it! Have a wonderful trip!

I am excited!! I am at 100 days today!!!

I also have my WL trip in 3 days to tide me over...We have tea on Friday afternoon and I plan to walk over to the Sugarloaf building to see it (not inside..just the grounds, as we have never been outside of the main building)

We got this crazy idea to try to switch our reservations from a standard room to a villa... Our trip is dec/jan ... We called and of course they are all booked... Praying for a last minute cancellation! (Wishful thinking)

Phooey!:headache: Well, good luck, I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.pixiedust:

Any ideas ??

We have arrived late twice, both times we were in RPC; once we booked GF through the end of our stay, the other we chose to spend one night at AKL first, then move. If I had to fly in late again, I would do one night at a less expensive resort. Seems silly to spend all the money for next to nothing. You can get up very early, head over to the Grand and check in. If your room is not ready, you can give your luggage to bell services and use the lounge for the day - but with the new "room ready" system, you'll likely have a room before noon.

We love the octagonal king deluxe rooms, our favorite rooms on property, but we rarely spend time on a balcony. You can check out the octagonal deluxe room photos from the first page - that might help.:goodvibes (scroll down past the deluxe queen room photos) The rectangular rooms are basically like a standard GF room, but with a jacuzzi tub, king bed and sitting area.

I am excited!! I am at 100 days today!!!

I also have my WL trip in 3 days to tide me over...We have tea on Friday afternoon and I plan to walk over to the Sugarloaf building to see it (not inside..just the grounds, as we have never been outside of the main building)

Just 3 days to WL, yay!:cheer2::cheer2: We love the Lodge! Enjoy your trip, especially tea on Friday.:cloud9:

Hi! We are requesting Sago Cay for our trip in December. Want upper level quiet room. Sago Cay - we have stayed on the marina side before. I know that the other side vews the lagoon. Is it pretty and peaceful? Seems to me that it would be very quiet on that side.

Thanks in advance for any advice that you can provide!!

Hi! We are requesting Sago Cay for our trip in December. Want upper level quiet room. Sago Cay - we have stayed on the marina side before. I know that the other side vews the lagoon. Is it pretty and peaceful? Seems to me that it would be very quiet on that side.

Thanks in advance for any advice that you can provide!!

The other side of Sago looks mostly on greenscaping and the monorail, but there's a bit of lagoon. I posted photos of both Sago garden views a while back, here is the link to that post - back side shown in the first few photos.:flower3:

I think the back side of Sago Cay is still very quiet, even with the monorail going by. It's not very loud, and goes by so quickly.

Thanks for the Sago pictures! I'm torn about which side to request. Think I will just say upper level quiet room and leave it up to them. I'm just really happy about being able to stay there in the first place!!

Thanks for the Sago pictures! I'm torn about which side to request. Think I will just say upper level quiet room and leave it up to them. I'm just really happy about being able to stay there in the first place!!

Good plan!:goodvibes If you can't choose, might as well let the magic decide!

Good Evening fellow GF fans! Forgive me for dragging my feet on posting my trip review...Things have been just crazy here...:upsidedow I think I might need another vacation! ;)

Review-Part 1 LOL..

Think I will start with..

Magic Bands

I read plenty here on the boards about peoples experiences..and I admit I was kind of worried about the possiblility of the glitches...But..there were none... Wearing the band made things super easy...:thumbsup2 Walked over to check in for DME..and with just a tap of my band I was directed to the line for the bus..the bus made the typical loop..WL CR Poly and then finally the GF..took about 45 minutes ...when I tapped my band to board the but the CM actually addressed my by name...Hi "Blue".. which was a nice touch..This did not activate my band though..It actually is activated once your tap it to enter your room...made room access so easy...no more digging around in my bag trying to find the room card! Giving this a :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2

the GF

Was as lovely as ever..there really is something about the sights.. sounds and smells of arriving at the GF and strolling into that incredible lobby...:lovestruc

As I previously posted we had the "new" bedding on our beds..this was similar to the usual triple sheeting..sheet..blanket..but the difference was the top sheet (k&a&c you will be happy to hear this) the top sheet was a thicker ..heavier.. patterned sheet..which made the bedding heavier..and there was a medium blue bed scarf at the foot of the bed..also a nice weight... While I will not miss the old bed spread..I was worried about this bedding being too light weight..but it really was not... giving the new bedding a :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2 also...

Ok need to run..but I will be back later with some more reviews! :moped:

Hope you are all having a terrific Tuesday!! :cutie:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter