HAVING A GRAND OLD TIME! The 2013 Grand Floridian Resort & Villas FAQ

Status
Not open for further replies.
:laughing: I doubt I will stay in one, either, I'm sure the cost for non-DVC owners will be...:faint: The only way I can see myself booking any of the DVC rooms is if we have a large family group and need extra space. Even then, it is sometimes cheaper and usually easier to book two resort rooms. VGF is so tempting, but without a discount I couldn't afford it!:upsidedow

Renting points would make it affordable. Well, better than rack rate, with a good discount, anyway. Rack rate is too scary!!

Hey, all! I hope everyone is happy and healthy.

I have a question for RPCers who have used the planning people to book their ADRs. How have you found this service?

We usually like to book our own ADRs. However, this year we will be away from home for our 180 day booking time for a couple of dates. So, we were wondering whether or not to let the planners do the heavy lifting for us. Good idea or not?

Just 5 more days until my stay at the Villas at GF! I can't wait! I love this thread, so much information!

I have a question for RPCers who have used the planning people to book their ADRs. How have you found this service?

We usually like to book our own ADRs. However, this year we will be away from home for our 180 day booking time for a couple of dates. So, we were wondering whether or not to let the planners do the heavy lifting for us. Good idea or not?

I always use the IPO to book my ADRs. I've never had a problem, even if I change my mind. We added my niece to the reservation last year and they did a great job to get us what we originally had, even into BOG! January 16 is our 180 day mark for them to do their magic again for us!

Is it easier to take the boat or monorail to the Poly from the GF?.

I like the monorail to MK and boat to poly. It is only one stop to poly from GF via boat..

Weather permitting of course!

Also the walk to poly isn't too bad if you enjoy walking. Now with the villas open it is a beautiful walk.

Just 5 more days until my stay at the Villas at GF! I can't wait! I love this thread, so much information!

It looks gorgeous! I am staying my first ever RPC at GF soon just dh and I (anniversary) but our yearly family trip will be at VGF in January!

I can't wait to walk over and check it out. The waterfall looks pretty and the fountain in the lobby is truly Disney whimsy:goodvibes

if you're going to be away, then i guess you really have no choice, right?

speaking solely on their use for booking ADR's, personally, if i am available to book it myself, i prefer to do that. IPO ends up being an annoying middleman sometimes and rather than emails back and forth (for instance, if they can't get the time i requested), i find it much easier to just book online myself. then, if i need to make changes, again... no middleman to deal with.

last year, i, too, was away at the 180 day mark and i needed to use them. i needed a BOG reservation. they forgot about it and when i emailed them upon my return to ask what had happened and why i had not heard back from them, they were not able to get the reservation because it was then too late and BOG was booked solid. i forwarded them my earlier email exchanges with them and told them how disappointed i was, and a few days later, they did eventually get us the reservation. but it was ridiculous.

with that said, i ALWAYS have the concierge staff handle any reservations that i want to make, change, or cancel while we are actually at WDW. i find great value in that service. it's great to decide on a whim that we want a nice dinner in an hour and have them call around and find us something.

Has anyone had the pizza from room service? How was it?

I've never had it, so no help here.

we have never ordered it from room service, but we did order it in 2010 on our cruise on the Grand 1, where it came from private dining (isn't that the same source as room service?). it was the WORST pizza any of us has ever eaten. it has actually become a family joke. it was my family of four and my parents. all six of us love pizza and have never had a pizza we disliked until that pizza! we still talk about it to this day, how unbelievably bad it was and that we never realized it was even possible to mess up pizza that badly. we all skipped dinner because we had ordered the pizza and chips and dip for the cruise, we were STARVING, and we still could not bring ourselves to eat the pizza! it is, unfortunately, my 11 yr old ds's only real memory of the cruise. :crazy2:

on the other hand the flatbreads/ pizzas from gasparilla's were fine! as were all other pizzas we have ever had while at wdw!

beth, I laughed out loud over it becoming a family joke, and that you wouldn't even eat it while starving!!:laughing: Not too funny, actually, I'm sure there was quite a premium for that pizza, having it on the Grand 1.:eek:

Does anyone know if you would be able to see the high fireworks from Wishes from a courtyard view in Sugarloaf as well, or would you be on the other side of the courtyard? :goodvibes

No, you would not, it faces away from the MK. I'm not sure if it is possible to see some of the fireworks from the marina side of SL, maybe the bigger shots - but Conch may obscure the view entirely. ?? Big Pine is the only building that faces the MK from the courtyard side, the rest are turned the wrong direction.

ETA: Here is a great link to an aerial of the GF, MK, Poly, etc.

Renting points would make it affordable. Well, better than rack rate, with a good discount, anyway. Rack rate is too scary!!

Do you think the points rental will be the same as the other DVC properties? I kind of expect it to be much higher. I have never looked into renting, but I think the price is generally around $11/point, right?

We used to use them exclusively when staying club, until it became just as easy to do it ourselves with the online booking engine. I would have no qualms using them again.

If you take the boat, you hop off at the next stop; monorail, you have to go all the way around the monorail line. From the GF, it would go MK-CR-TTC-Poly-GF. But we usually take whichever is closer; the monorail ride is nice, so if we are closer to the main bldg. we hop on the monorail. And we factor in the weather - if it is raining, it's easier to go monorail, as you are already in the GCH and don't walk the Poly grounds in the rain.

Woohoo!!:banana::banana:

I like the monorail to MK and boat to poly. It is only one stop to poly from GF via boat..

Weather permitting of course!

Also the walk to poly isn't too bad if you enjoy walking. Now with the villas open it is a beautiful walk.

Oops, I missed this in my quoting - this is my general plan as well, MK by monorail, Poly by boat, allowing for weather.:sunny: It's a nice opportunity to walk through the beautiful Poly landscaping.

I agree, the walking/running path has always been very pretty. We almost never walk over, sadly, as we like to take every chance possible to ride the boat or monorail. Not to mention I get more walking than I can stand in the parks!;)

Do you think the points rental will be the same as the other DVC properties? I kind of expect it to be much higher. I have never looked into renting, but I think the price is generally around $11/point, right?

:
At David's it is 14.00/point no matter where you stay. Of course there has to be availability but at certain times of year it probably wouldn't be a problem. I used David's and it was a breeze to stay at akl. I think if you go directly with an owner they will probably charge more for Vgf because they can. Doesn't hurt to try :). I saved a lot of money staying at akl that way.

The boat goes like this. MK to GF to Poly then back to MK. And monorail is TTC to Poly to GF to Comp and back to TTC. Monorail to and boat home. Or walk its beautiful and easy

Hi to all my fellow GF fans! :wave2:

Just back from another wonderful stay at the GF...:cloud9:

But back to reality is never fun...

Just a drive by :moped:... as my to do list today is loooong....

But I will be back with a review..and some pics too as my good friend maxie86 is going to post them for techno challenged me (thanks Maxie :goodvibes ) ...

grannyminnie I know you are up next!!! And I am sure you are in the single digits!!! :dance3:

Have a magical Monday..:wizard:

Be back later...:earsgirl:

At David's it is 14.00/point no matter where you stay. Of course there has to be availability but at certain times of year it probably wouldn't be a problem. I used David's and it was a breeze to stay at akl. I think if you go directly with an owner they will probably charge more for Vgf because they can. Doesn't hurt to try :). I saved a lot of money staying at akl that way.

Ah - see, I'm clueless!;) Thanks for the info, good to know.:goodvibes

But I will be back with a review..and some pics too as my good friend maxie86 is going to post them for techno challenged me (thanks Maxie :goodvibes ) ...

grannyminnie I know you are up next!!! And I am sure you are in the single digits!!! :dance3:

Welcome back!:goodvibes Glad you had a magical vacation, looking forward to your review when you have time. I'm sure you have a lot to do.:laundy:

Hi Blue! :wave2: You were missed...:hug: You're right..I'm in single digits! :banana:
Were you "pixie-dusted" in any way? Looking forward to your TR!

I'm like you, techno-challenged, so unable to post pictures on here. Lucky you have Maxie to help out. :thumbsup2

I am a Disney TA and have a question from a client of mine. If you are staying RPC with a theme park view, is your view unobstructed? Can you see the water parade with this view? I know the views of the Magic Kingdom itself are further out than the Poly and CR, she is trying to decide if the view is worth it if staying RPC. TIA!

I am a Disney TA and have a question from a client of mine. If you are staying RPC with a theme park view, is your view unobstructed? Can you see the water parade with this view? I know the views of the Magic Kingdom itself are further out than the Poly and CR, she is trying to decide if the view is worth it if staying RPC. TIA!

It is a view of the castle, a few of the rooms do have some foliage blocking a portion of the view. I will post a photo of minniesota's view from one of these rooms.

These rooms are over the marina, and the water pageant takes place in front of Boca Chica. It is possible some rooms might afford a view of the water pageant as it makes its stop in front of the MK, but it would be a side view.

ETA: here is minniesota's photo, 4304 (looking at this, I see it isn't even possible to see the MK stop of EWP)
IMG_0224.jpg

It is a view of the castle, a few of the rooms do have some foliage blocking a portion of the view. I will post a photo of minniesota's view from one of these rooms.

These rooms are over the marina, and the water pageant takes place in front of Boca Chica. It is possible some rooms might afford a view of the water pageant as it makes its stop in front of the MK, but it would be a side view.

ETA: here is minniesota's photo, 4304 (looking at this, I see it isn't even possible to see the MK stop of EWP)
IMG_0224.jpg

Thank you! That is just the info I was looking for. :lovestruc:thumbsup2

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter