HAVING A GRAND OLD TIME! The 2013 Grand Floridian Resort & Villas FAQ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello! I guess you can, I've read people try that. We've been taken by surprise when we've been upgraded...I don't have the nerve to ask!

I was truly surprised with the 2009 upgrade I described above, because we were traveling with my parents and DH's parents, so we had 3 Garden view rooms booked, and all 3 were upgraded and were all in a row - I was honestly flabbergasted, as were our parents. They had come to WDW with us once before that, 7 years prior, and had fallen in love with the GF, so they were over-the-moon ecstatic with the upgrade...talk about magical! We gathered in my room for a pajama fireworks party, at DD's insistence, every night we were back early enough. Such awesome memories...

:sunny:

Thanks for sharing, sounds lovely:goodvibes

Hisgirl - Thanks for posting the photos, lovely view! I think we were in the room right next door a couple years ago, nearly identical view.:lovestruc

That reminds me of an old joke... One day a man who needed cash went to his knees and prayed "Lord Please let me win the Lotto!" The next day came and he didn't win. So he prayed for the next three days for the same thing. Finally he went to his knees and said "Lord... give me a break!" "Let me win the Lotto!". A voice came from above... "Give ME a break and at least buy a ticket!" :rotfl:
Nancy ;)

:rotfl2:

With all this discussion of the theme park views, or lack thereof, I thought I would post some photos to help DISers get an idea of the number of trees that possibly block the view. I hate for anyone with a TPV booked to get the impression there are no good views from those rooms.

Love the pics....the GF truly is a beautiful resort :wizard:.

I wanted to post some photos we took this week. This is from an outer building garden view in Big Pine Key, 4th floor.

And a few around and about.

Awesome pics....thanks for posting :goodvibes.

So true. I think it will be the same with the Poly villas, all views will be beautiful.:goodvibes

I agree. I think the Poly now is like the GF in that there really aren't any "bad" rooms/views.....some "less desirable" like at the Grand, but nothing horrible.....but I think the villas are going be very nice and I can't wait to see the finished product :).

So we'll wish for an upgrade and maybe let them know that we're checking in on my friend's birthday, for real! I know alot of people go for birthday celebrations but this is her actual date!

So we'll wish for an upgrade and maybe let them know that we're checking in on my friend's birthday, for real! I know alot of people go for birthday celebrations but this is her actual date!

Yes, definitely let them know about the birthday...I really think that helps.

Have a great time planning!

:sunny:

I agree with the pp....definitely let them know about the birthday ::yes::. Regardless of whether or not you get an upgrade, you are going to love the GF.....it's an amazing resort and a great place to celebrate. Have a great time at the Halloween party. We've been 3 times (with our first party on Halloween) and we had just as much fun the 3rd time as we did the 1st :goodvibes.

I agree. I think the Poly now is like the GF in that there really aren't any "bad" rooms/views.....some "less desirable" like at the Grand, but nothing horrible.....but I think the villas are going be very nice and I can't wait to see the finished product :).

I'm looking forward to seeing what they do with the bungalows over the water! When that rumor first started, I thought it was crazy - high initial costs, high maintenance costs, hard to gauge the water levels. (they often have to move the water launch to another dock at the MK due to the water level of SSL) But now it seems as though it's confirmed, so I'm curious how that will play out.:beach:

As others have said, absolutely do add your friend's birthday to the reservation and mention it at check in. Don't be disappointed if it does not get you an upgrade, though, we have had many events listed on our reservations and never gotten an upgrade. (in all our trips, we've only had one upgrade - from garden view to lagoon view at the GF! no special event listed that trip) But I think we are in the minority here on the thread, so good luck!pixiedust: I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

I agree with the pp....definitely let them know about the birthday ::yes::. Regardless of whether or not you get an upgrade, you are going to love the GF.....it's an amazing resort and a great place to celebrate. Have a great time at the Halloween party. We've been 3 times (with our first party on Halloween) and we had just as much fun the 3rd time as we did the 1st :goodvibes.

::yes::

I'm looking forward to seeing what they do with the bungalows over the water! When that rumor first started, I thought it was crazy - high initial costs, high maintenance costs, hard to gauge the water levels. (they often have to move the water launch to another dock at the MK due to the water level of SSL) But now it seems as though it's confirmed, so I'm curious how that will play out.:beach:

It's funny you say that because I thought the same thing.....thought it was crazy to be putting bungalows out over the water :eek:. But after reading about some of the plans, I think it will be kind of neat. With that said, I don't think I could stay in one, but I can't wait to see them done :goodvibes.

It's funny you say that because I thought the same thing.....thought it was crazy to be putting bungalows out over the water :eek:. But after reading about some of the plans, I think it will be kind of neat. With that said, I don't think I could stay in one, but I can't wait to see them done :goodvibes.

:laughing: I doubt I will stay in one, either, I'm sure the cost for non-DVC owners will be...:faint: The only way I can see myself booking any of the DVC rooms is if we have a large family group and need extra space. Even then, it is sometimes cheaper and usually easier to book two resort rooms. VGF is so tempting, but without a discount I couldn't afford it!:upsidedow

Thanks for the inspiring thoughts...I know we will have a great time at the GF, upgrade or not, but it can't hurt to imagine a little pixie dust!:cool1:

:laughing: I doubt I will stay in one, either, I'm sure the cost for non-DVC owners will be...:faint: The only way I can see myself booking any of the DVC rooms is if we have a large family group and need extra space. Even then, it is sometimes cheaper and usually easier to book two resort rooms. VGF is so tempting, but without a discount I couldn't afford it!:upsidedow

I agree. I looked at booking a VGF 1 BDRM for December (before we had to change our dates) and rack rate was almost $1,000/nt :faint:.

Thanks for the inspiring thoughts...I know we will have a great time at the GF, upgrade or not, but it can't hurt to imagine a little pixie dust!:cool1:

:thumbsup2

Just wanted to say thanks for this thread. Some great GF info!

I agree....k&a&c'smom does a great job of keeping the thread up to date :thumbsup2. Also, all of the GF vets give such great advice/opinions on everything about the Grand :goodvibes.

Has anyone had the pizza from room service? How was it?

We've never had it, but hopefully someone else will be able to give you some input :).

Has anyone had the pizza from room service? How was it?

we have never ordered it from room service, but we did order it in 2010 on our cruise on the Grand 1, where it came from private dining (isn't that the same source as room service?). it was the WORST pizza any of us has ever eaten. it has actually become a family joke. it was my family of four and my parents. all six of us love pizza and have never had a pizza we disliked until that pizza! we still talk about it to this day, how unbelievably bad it was and that we never realized it was even possible to mess up pizza that badly. we all skipped dinner because we had ordered the pizza and chips and dip for the cruise, we were STARVING, and we still could not bring ourselves to eat the pizza! it is, unfortunately, my 11 yr old ds's only real memory of the cruise. :crazy2:

on the other hand the flatbreads/ pizzas from gasparilla's were fine! as were all other pizzas we have ever had while at wdw!

I wanted to post some photos we took this week. This is from an outer building garden view in Big Pine Key, 4th floor.

And a few around and about.

PA240295.jpg
[/URL]tp://[/IMG]

PA240298.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

PA240295.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

PA240294.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_20131020_205305_344.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_20131020_161542_521.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

These pictures are awesome!!!

Does anyone know if you would be able to see the high fireworks from Wishes from a courtyard view in Sugarloaf as well, or would you be on the other side of the courtyard? :goodvibes

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter