HAVING A GRAND OLD TIME! The 2013 Grand Floridian Resort & Villas FAQ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all...our trip to the GF is in 32 days. I'm taking my parents (ages 82 and 83). I need some advice regarding how long yall think it will take from landing at the airport at 1:20 pm to actually being in our rooms.

We're renting a car and I'm comfortable driving there, so no issues with the transportation.

The reason I"m asking is that is a night MK closes early at 7pm for the MNSSHP. I was reaaaally hoping, after getting in our rooms, we could rest, then hop on the monorail to do a sort of dry run to show Mama and Daddy what it will all be like, and also how they'll be on the scooters.

We also have dinner ressies at the cafe around 5:30 but I could change those. What has been your experience with actual times from landing to 'magical landing'? Thanks!

With ME I always count on 90 mins from landing and to my room.

Walking through airport, the drive 25-30 mins, check in , walk to room all adds up!

So you in room by 3 and could sneak over for a peak in the afternoon? Maybe change dinner to 6? There really isn't enough time after dinner if closing at 7.

Even a leisurely boat ride and exploring the hotels will be nice. I travel with mine and dh's patents in their 70's and it is hard for them to keep up. The walk from entrance to fantasyland is really far when you are older.

Enjoy your trip:goodvibes

Hi BlueSkies and k&a&c'smom :wave2:

:wave:

I hope she's enjoying her cruise :boat:. I remember our park commando days......those were very busy and fun, but it is nice to take it easy now and enjoy everything else Disney has to offer beyond the parks :goodvibes. I love doing the monorail resort tour......it's always nice visiting the different shops and/or just walking around the resort :).

I thought the same thing.....wonder what's needing to be done so soon :confused3.

We used to love being in the parks early morning and late at night! Not technically commandos, as we would take a break midday for a swim, but we certainly spent many hours every day in the parks. Now, we take it easy and enjoy the little things more.:lovestruc We, too, love to spend time visiting the monorail resorts.

I wonder if they had a leak or other construction issue that only appeared once the splash area was in use for a time.:confused:

k&a&c'smom Pics truly are the next best thing to being at the GF...and those did make me wish that I was there right now...well..even without pics I wish that I was there right now...LOL...:moped: You understand!!

princessap Even without the splash pad there really are fun water options at the GF...the beach pool has a great slide..and the new courtyard pool now also has zero entry and small fountains in it...But hope that it is all fixed when you take your trip...

Last time that we were visiting I did notice that M.Mouse Mercantile was not very well stocked...Even the usual display tables were missing...??? In the past its always been a good place to shop......if anyone with trips coming up gets a chance to take a look.. I would be curious to know if the store is all stocked up again...

I certainly do understand, I long for the Grand even without all the beautiful photos.:laughing:

Good point about the many options for little ones, with the new Courtyard Pool pop jets and the zero entry and slide at the Beach Pool.

I hope someone can report on the status of M. Mouse, I hope they have returned to their former glory.

BlueSkies......You recently asked if anyone knew when the VGF was to officially open....this is from DVCNews.com with the announcement on Poly DVC:

The planned development project at Disney's Polynesian Resort, when completed, will join Disney Vacation Club's 12 other properties, including The Villas at Disney's Grand Floridian Resort & Spa, scheduled to open Oct. 23. Construction on the Polynesian project began this month, and completion is estimated to be in 2015.

Thanks for the info, I'm kind of surprised they have officially announced the Poly villas. It took months of destruction of the North Wing and then more months of construction of the tower before they announced BLT; not quite as much prevaricating with VGF, but still wouldn't announce until the project was well along. The Poly project has only just begun, they must have a reason for letting it out so soon.:idea:

Hello all...our trip to the GF is in 32 days. I'm taking my parents (ages 82 and 83). I need some advice regarding how long yall think it will take from landing at the airport at 1:20 pm to actually being in our rooms.

We're renting a car and I'm comfortable driving there, so no issues with the transportation.

The reason I"m asking is that is a night MK closes early at 7pm for the MNSSHP. I was reaaaally hoping, after getting in our rooms, we could rest, then hop on the monorail to do a sort of dry run to show Mama and Daddy what it will all be like, and also how they'll be on the scooters.

We also have dinner ressies at the cafe around 5:30 but I could change those. What has been your experience with actual times from landing to 'magical landing'? Thanks!

If you want to pop into the MK before it closes at 7:00, I would wait until after 7:00 for dinner. You won't have time to do both.

As trishadono posted, I always plan on at least 90 minutes to arrive at the resort. It takes a while to deplane, then a good 15-20 minutes for baggage claim, picking up the car and then 30+ minutes for the drive. After arrival at the resort, you should have a room available in mid-afternoon, but if you have to do any changes to room assignment, it could take 30 minutes or more to get into your room.

After settling in, I would head right over to the MK. If you need a snack, you could grab one on Main Street.

Hi there I was just at the Polynesian at the end of August for vacation But really wasn't paying attention. We are headed back to the grand Floridian for a few days at Christmas. Can anyone let me know which buildings Are closest to the construction for the vacation club. Hopefully I can avoid being in one of those buildings. Also I read on trip advisor many many Negative comments about the conditions of the rooms at the grand Floridian-----All of them basically saying that the rooms are very very tired and worn. I have no issues paying for deluxe resorts as of the last time We stayed at the club level the Polynesian. And we were actually going to stay there for Christmas except for the ongoing construction there. But I'm not sure if I rather have the construction versus the worn rooms. So the big thing is can anyone let me know what rooms are closest to the vacation club construction And then offer me any Information on the conditions of the Rooms at the grand Floridian thank you.

No worries about the construction, if you give us your booked category and preferences for requests we can help you better with building recommendations.:flower3:

As far as room condition - I use Trip Advisor, too, but have to say I think they are way off base when it comes to WDW resorts. I'm not sure why, but the reviews of WDW resorts always seem to be far more harsh than is warranted.

We have stayed at the Grand for many years, and there are times when we feel it is time for a refurb. The Grand is at the 6 year mark for room renovations (last done in 2007) and there is a refurb planned within the next several months. However, we have not had a room that we would consider "worn and tired". We have had a couple instances of being given a room with a maintenance issue, but once we alerted the CMs it was either fixed promptly or we were assigned another room.

I wouldn't hesitate to send friends and family to the GF. I would give them the same advice I give here, which is to inspect your room when you arrive. If you do not like it for whatever reason (view, condition, etc.) alert the bellman and/or call the front desk immediately and ask to be reassigned.:thumbsup2

I've heard that the corner rooms with the two balconies are called hammerhead rooms. I read it here on the disboards!

Thanks!! :thumbsup2 I knew that they had a particular name...but I just couldn't remember what I had heard that it was! I wonder if these rooms are in most of the outer lodges..don't think there are any in SL..??

:dance3: 32 days!!! Even with a rental car I would say that 90 minutes is a good rule of thumb from landing to door at the resort...

As Trisha suggested..I would move the dinner at GF Café to later....especially traveling with ECV's...might take your family a little longer to navigate in and out of the MK...

Hi there I was just at the Polynesian at the end of August for vacation But really wasn't paying attention. We are headed back to the grand Floridian for a few days at Christmas. Can anyone let me know which buildings Are closest to the construction for the vacation club. Hopefully I can avoid being in one of those buildings. Also I read on trip advisor many many Negative comments about the conditions of the rooms at the grand Floridian-----All of them basically saying that the rooms are very very tired and worn. I have no issues paying for deluxe resorts as of the last time We stayed at the club level the Polynesian. And we were actually going to stay there for Christmas except for the ongoing construction there. But I'm not sure if I rather have the construction versus the worn rooms. So the big thing is can anyone let me know what rooms are closest to the vacation club construction And then offer me any Information on the conditions of the Rooms at the grand Floridian thank you.

No worries about construction in December! :goodvibes As for the condition of the rooms...while I have said that I do think that the rooms are ready for a refurbishment...and to be updated as well...they are by no means in terrible shape...some of the rooms seem more worn than others though..and I am sure if you are assigned a room and you are not happy with it you can asked to be moved to another...

MickeyNut Thanks for that "official" information on the VGF opening date :goodvibes ...Wonder if there will any kind of special ceremony??? On another subject that is.. OT :upsidedow for this thread...LOL....My Poly loving pal...What are your thoughts on all that is going on at your fave resort??? I really think that Disney did a great job on making the VGF blend in so well at the GF...Hope they do the same over at the Polynesian too...

BlueSkies - I see we were posting at the same time, and used almost the exact same words regarding construction in December.:laughing: Great minds and all...;)

Hi k&a&c'smom :wave2: I see we were posting at the same time! :goodvibes

I too would not hesitate to recommend a stay at the GF..even before the rooms are refurbed.... It is such a beautiful resort...:cloud9:

BlueSkies I see you have a trip coming up but I forget where you are staying.:confused3

I have been watching youtube videos of the grand and found ones from our own ahcupcake and BethClayton:goodvibes

I can't believe I am finally getting to stay RPC:cloud9:

We have annual passes but I think I will find it hard to leave the lounge;)

Well except to catch last hours of F&W of course:woohoo:

Anybody have more pics? How about that balcony that kind of looks towards monorail entrance????:yay:

:goodvibes :goodvibes Posting at the same time twice!! LOL... I agree :thumbsup2

:laughing: I left the computer to do other things and only noticed when I got back that we were posting at the same time about posting at the same time.:rotfl2:

BlueSkies I see you have a trip coming up but I forget where you are staying.:confused3

I have been watching youtube videos of the grand and found ones from our own ahcupcake and BethClayton:goodvibes

I can't believe I am finally getting to stay RPC:cloud9:

We have annual passes but I think I will find it hard to leave the lounge;)

Well except to catch last hours of F&W of course:woohoo:

Anybody have more pics? How about that balcony that kind of looks towards monorail entrance????:yay:

"I forget where you are staying" - hahaha!

It is very hard to leave RPC, so relaxing.:cloud9:

Do you mean the outside, third floor balcony? I have a few photos, I'll have to go look for them.

Subscribing...

considering a 25th anniversary vow renewal with our 3 girls June 30, 2014.:cheer2:

Throwing around the idea of a 1 bedroom villa:grouphug:

never stayed in a villa before...does anyone know if you can ever get in a ville BEFORE 4pm?

thanks

Subscribing...

considering a 25th anniversary vow renewal with our 3 girls June 30, 2014.:cheer2:

never stayed in a villa before...does anyone know if you can ever get in a ville BEFORE 4pm?

thanks

Back a few years I checked in at 7am for OKW and my room wasn't ready until 4pm(it was day after thanksgiving ) for my BLT trips, two we checked in after 4pm but once I transferred at 7am from CR and my room was ready then.

The earlier you check in the better. Also if you don't have any requests it will be easier. (If you ask for a higher floor you will probably have to wait vs taking first room available).

I am staying there in January so watch for pictures!:)

Fine! I will be more specific!

BlueSkies are you staying GV, LV, TPV, Deluxe , SL or RPC?
:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

K&A&C'S Mom, yes the view from that balcony towards the monorail. I have been google earth-ing the GF. The main building is quite interesting!

Back a few years I checked in at 7am for OKW and my room wasn't ready until 4pm(it was day after thanksgiving ) for my BLT trips, two we checked in after 4pm but once I transferred at 7am from CR and my room was ready then. The earlier you check in the better. Also if you don't have any requests it will be easier. (If you ask for a higher floor you will probably have to wait vs taking first room available). I am staying there in January so watch for pictures!:)

Thanks will do!

Fine! I will be more specific!

BlueSkies are you staying GV, LV, TPV, Deluxe , SL or RPC?
:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

K&A&C'S Mom, yes the view from that balcony towards the monorail. I have been google earth-ing the GF. The main building is quite interesting!

:laughing: I couldn't resist, when I read your post it tickled me to think anyone wouldn't remember where BlueSkies will be staying on any WDW trip.;)

Oddly, I don't think I have any photos of the view from that balcony, only of the balcony itself. I think johnsonet has posted a couple facing that direction, but from the balcony of a room on the Beach Pool side; I have a photo from our balcony of that view, too. BRB.

johnsonet's photo, I think from an octagonal king deluxe over M. Mouse
DSC03830.jpg

Here's a photo of that view from ground level
IMG_0165.jpg

ETA: took me a while to find this one, I took it from the balcony of room 4323
DSCN1302_zpsb95ff6cc.jpg

We are considering a stay here next fall and just wondering which building everyone would recommend, will be me, dh and our three kids (2,5,7 at trip time!). we will be doing some resort/pool days and two days and MNSSHP for sure at MK!
thanks!

Thanks for the pics! Can you tell i am excited??? I am driving DH crazy! BUT he seems to be excited too and that doesn't often happen.

We are considering a stay here next fall and just wondering which building everyone would recommend, will be me, dh and our three kids (2,5,7 at trip time!). we will be doing some resort/pool days and two days and MNSSHP for sure at MK!
thanks!

What category room are you considering? For TPV, I would recommend Sago Cay or Conch Key; with garden view, there are pros and cons to each building. In Sago, you would have either a view of the marina or the back landscaping with the monorail (both garden view), and it is quite close to Gasparilla's and the back path to the bus stop. Conch Key is a good choice for all around convenience - close to the courtyard pool, Narcoossee's, boat dock, marina and Gasparilla's - and you would have either marina or courtyard view.

Boca Chica has lovely views of the courtyard pool and main building, close to the pool, Narcoossee's and the boat dock. Big Pine Key is the closest to the back entrance of the main building and the beach pool, with views of the courtyard pool. Keep in mind, BPK has a number of rooms that look right into the back of the pool house, so you would need to ask for an upper floor.

HTH!:flower3:

Thanks for the pics! Can you tell i am excited??? I am driving DH crazy! BUT he seems to be excited too and that doesn't often happen.

You're welcome. I don't blame you for being excited, I wish I had a trip coming up soon.pixiedust:

Thanks for the info, I'm kind of surprised they have officially announced the Poly villas. It took months of destruction of the North Wing and then more months of construction of the tower before they announced BLT; not quite as much prevaricating with VGF, but still wouldn't announce until the project was well along. The Poly project has only just begun, they must have a reason for letting it out so soon.:idea:

You're welcome :goodvibes. I knew BlueSkies asked about the opening and when I saw that I thought I would post it. I agree about the news coming out so soon. I remember Disney not releasing news about BLT until construction was well under way (even though everyone knew what was going on....LOL). It will be interesting to see what all will go on at the Poly :wizard:.

MickeyNut Thanks for that "official" information on the VGF opening date :goodvibes ...Wonder if there will any kind of special ceremony??? On another subject that is.. OT :upsidedow for this thread...LOL....My Poly loving pal...What are your thoughts on all that is going on at your fave resort??? I really think that Disney did a great job on making the VGF blend in so well at the GF...Hope they do the same over at the Polynesian too...

Not a problem.....I knew it was sometime in October but didn't know the exact date.....now we all know ;). Good question about a special ceremony. Did Disney do anything for all of the other DVC openings?? I am curious as to what will be going on at the Poly. I think Disney does a good job of building DVC to blend in with the current resort, so I'm sure Poly villas will be great ::yes::. There is talk about bungalows over the water.....not sure how I feel about that....I think I would be a little freaked staying in one.....but I'm sure they would look pretty :goodvibes.

thanks

We've never stayed in any of the villas, but I wanted to say I think the GF is a great resort for an anniversary/vow renewal trip :lovestruc.

thanks!

We had a GV room in Big Pine Key and we loved it. As k&a&c'smom said, there are some "less desirable" rooms that look at the back of the pool house, but if you get a room on one of the upper floors it's a pretty view :goodvibes. We liked that BPK was convenient to the main building as well as to Gasparillas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter