HAVING A GRAND OLD TIME! The 2013 Grand Floridian Resort & Villas FAQ

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know just what you mean, when we first started going to the dark side, I was completely out of my depth and had to do tons of research!:eek: You won't need as much research for the Grand, as I'm sure you visited or, if you haven't, at least you've gone by on the monorail and boat launch. It's laid out similar to the Poly, so that may make it seem a bit familiar.

We have hung out at the Grand a bit - DH has used the health club, we've eaten at Gaspie's & 1900 and of course always try to hit Basin for Mickey bath bombs! In December we also took the time to wander around the grounds because DH was interested in VGF (we actually toured the suites - beautiful!) so we're somewhat familiar with the resort. The problem is more that I'm a totally anal planner, so now I need to get to know all of the little details, eg. any little extras (like the hula lessons & torch lighting at the Poly).

I could sit and look at GF pics all day :cloud9:. I agree about cell phone cameras. I was thinking of getting a new camera before our next trip, but I may just use my cell phone as it takes pretty good pics. Plus not having a camera means that's one less thing on the packing list .

Me too....:thumbsup2 We are the same way with the cell phone as opposed to a traditonal camera these day...phone pics keep getting better and better..I cant even figure out all of the different things that my phone camera can do?????? :confused3 LOL... but I love the convenience...and the quality of the pictures...:goodvibes

On another, and more on-topic note: I am having a hard time trying to change our May ressie. It's a bounceback, but that doesn't seem to matter either on the website or by phone. Nothing nearby at the end of April thru the third week of May is available. :confused: I have to assume the refurbs have something to do with this, combined with the Flower and Garden Festival. :confused3 Sure is disappointing. I'm either going to have to change resorts :-)scared1:) or move from the spring dates all together. :sad2:

Sorry to hear that you are having trouble finding availability at the GF for your new dates..:headache: Hopefully something will open up soon... We are jumping ship next trip..yep..this GF gal is heading over to the CR (for now!)... (DD's choice) ..lol..and I was getting some cold feet... and was checking for availability at the GF for our dates..and the pickings were very slim..and absolutely none with the discount...:eek:

Hi there i need help. I think we are ready to book our first stay at the GF (our first WDW stay really). We want to stay in a club level TPV room. From the information i gathered RPC is a little bigger than SL club level correct? I guess i want to know what i should request to have a great view of MK at RPC. I hope I make sense if i don't please someone set me straight! Thanks so much.

I know that k&a&c'smom has already given you lots of good info about the room categories and views in both CLs:thumbsup2...but I just wanted to add a bit of info...:) The TPV rooms from the GF in RPC while lovely..are a distant view of the park/castle...just dont want you to have the wrong expectation...they are also the furthest rooms from the lounge..44 (4th floor) or 43 (3rd floor) 01 being the very last room and I think 07 being the closest...:confused3 Not that its a terribly long walk...but still..a bit of a distance from the lounge....

We love the citrus pancakes, lobster eggs benedict and the smoked salmon plate with bagel and garnishes - all are delicious. Sometimes get a side of breakfast potatoes. Others in our party have had the American breakfast and the fruit plate with yogurt, which looked very good.

DD often has a latte, but their regular coffee is good, too, the CMs have said it's a special blend just for them. Much better than most WDW coffee! I usually have a tropical splash, which is OJ with strawberry puree. MMMM.

Boy am I hungry...everything sounds so good...I personally am a fan of the eggs benedict (no lobster tho...)...You know its always about the food! ;) Lots of good meals to be had here IMO...GFC is a fave of ours..for breakfast lunch or dinner! I can attest to the good coffee....:coffee: Didnt know it was a special blend...Thanks for that info! :goodvibes There really is always something new to learn around here! :goodvibes

Thanks! Now I have to read up on the GF. We're Poly pros, but this is our first time staying at the GF. It's strange being booked at a new resort and not knowing the place inside and out!

I totally understand maia the GF is our vacation home away from home..and on the occasion that we venture some place different I feel a little out of sorts until I settle in... Fortunately the grounds are compact..easy to figure out..and the GF also has many things..like transportation that is the same as at the Poly...

This Sept will be our first stay at the Grand Floridian and I'm really starting to get excited! We've always stayed at The Poly (Last 8 years--4 years garden view, last 4 year CL Theme Park View.) Like a previous poster, we were so comfortable and sure of ourselves over at The Poly.
It seems like more and more people are changing their reservations from the Poly to other resorts, because of all the construction. It also seems like many are, like us, going to The Grand Floridian instead.
Those of you that consider the Grand as your usual resort, how do you see the crowds compared to other years? September is usually a pretty slow month, but when I made our reservation (8 months out), I was told it was the last room they had in SL--without a discount at the time. I've since applied the new Memory Maker Discount to my existing reservation.
How do the pools compare to the Polynesian? When the volcano pool at The Poly closes for refurb in July, they're saying that the Poly guests can use the GF pool. How do you think it will effect the pool areas? The pool at The Poly was always crowded because of it's size. Do you think the GF pools will be okay?

Congrats on booking the GF...:goodvibes The gounds are little busier in general thses days with the addition of the VGF...and the pools quite a bit busier too....

With the addition of the folks visiting from the Poly due to their pool construction...and the change in the courtyard pool to a very large kiddie pool...I think this whole area is going to be alot busier come fall...but there are two pools..and seating is plentiful...just less of the former serene atmosphere (in the courtyard pool area)...But I do think that wont be much of a change from the main Poly pool..as I have seen how busy that it usually is...

There are some nice things to see and do at the GF...there is the Parasol Parade certain mornings at 8am..weather permitting..where the housekeepers parade thru the courtyard area sporting pretty umbrellas...

And there is the wonderful afternoon into evening music in the lobby...there are a few wonderful pianists (Christian Frederick is a fave of ours..altho he was not there during our lasst stay??) ...and the GF Society Orchestra...:dance3:

BTW..what is the Memory Maker discount?? Dont think I have heard about that??

Just wanted to say....we hit double digits yesterday!!:cool1::cheer2::beach:

:cheer2: :cheer2:

Hope that all of my fellow GF fans are having a super Saturday! :earsgirl:

Ok i think i got it now thank you blueskies mickeynut1 and k&a&c'smom!! I understand the view is a distance to the castle/MK and im ok with that. And the distance from the lounge to the room isn't a big deal either we're a walking/running family lol. Thank you for the information!

Hello,

Does anyone happen to know if mimosas are available in RPC? My husband read an AKL club level review and saw that they had mimosas and he got excited hoping that RPC will have them. :hyper:

I'm still in triple digits, but creeping towards that 150 mark!

The time will go fast and your trip will be here before you know it :goodvibes.

Me too......We are the same way with the cell phone as opposed to a traditonal camera these day...phone pics keep getting better and better..I cant even figure out all of the different things that my phone camera can do?????? :confused3 LOL... but I love the convenience...and the quality of the pictures...:goodvibes

I don't use my phone to its full capacity either because I don't know how to use a lot of the features :rotfl::rotfl:. My DSs are always giving me a hard time and asking me why I got it if I'm not going to use it the way it's meant to be used :rotfl2:.

Ok i think i got it now thank you blueskies mickeynut1 and k&a&c'smom!! I understand the view is a distance to the castle/MK and im ok with that. And the distance from the lounge to the room isn't a big deal either we're a walking/running family lol. Thank you for the information!

You're welcome :goodvibes. I think you're going to have a great trip and love RPC :cloud9:.

Hello,

Does anyone happen to know if mimosas are available in RPC? My husband read an AKL club level review and saw that they had mimosas and he got excited hoping that RPC will have them. :hyper:

I can't help, but I'm sure one of our GF vets will be able to answer :flower3:.

Sooooooo, not shockingly.....the resort changer has changed again. :rolleyes2

Our original plan for our August trip was CR CL TPV (since Poly is out for us), but when the prices came out, it was kind of intimidating, so we went with Sugarloaf instead. Now that Sugarloaf is almost PIF, I am realizing I can swing the extra for CR and the CL TPV is a total bucket list item for me and my family. I called last night and was lucky enough to be able to get it with our 40% discount!!!! :cool1:

I just wanted to say thanks to those of you that are so helpful here on this thread! :goodvibes

As a side note, ironically, the new decor actually had something to do with it....the CR decor is much more our style versus the old GF decor, but when I chose GF, I figured it would be a "different" experience....however, the new decor is very much our style....so, so much for the new experience....might as well be at the CR. :rotfl: So, in that respect, I see what a lot of you are saying about taking away the decor that make GF different. ::yes::

Thanks again!!!! You guys rock!

I am seeing more grass everyday :thumbsup2....now to wait and see what happens next week with temps and if more snow is coming.

Yeah, no matter what the rates are, it always seems to be busy. The holidays have always been busy, but it seems to get busier each year, even with the rates being so high. The peak/holiday rates are up there .....and it seems like the discount windows for December are getting less and less each year. And now since Disney changed the pricing season the week before Christmas from value to peak, even with a discount, it's still expensive to be there around the holidays :sad2:.....but resorts still fill up.

I agree about the view from the Poly pool. That is one of the many things I love about the Poly......the view of the castle while swimming just can't be beat :cloud9:. My guys like the Poly slide/pool better overall than the GF pool (as do I). We didn't spend too much time at the beach pool as the courtyard pool was more to our liking, but at the Poly, we couldn't get enough of the volcano pool .

It really is a wonderful pool and view.::yes::

The December pricing is so disheartening, for a lot of people it's completely out of the question now, which is a shame.

Good luck with your temps. I'll wish very hard for no more snow! We woke up to frigid winds, compared to our very warm day yesterday. yeesh

Just wanted to say....we hit double digits yesterday!!

:banana:

We have hung out at the Grand a bit - DH has used the health club, we've eaten at Gaspie's & 1900 and of course always try to hit Basin for Mickey bath bombs! In December we also took the time to wander around the grounds because DH was interested in VGF (we actually toured the suites - beautiful!) so we're somewhat familiar with the resort. The problem is more that I'm a totally anal planner, so now I need to get to know all of the little details, eg. any little extras (like the hula lessons & torch lighting at the Poly).

You are familiar with it, that's good! The best "extra" is the music in the evening, for sure. We love to sit in the lobby or in one of the little seating areas on the second floor, and listen. Even when there's no music, just sitting in the lobby is a treat for me.:cloud9:

Sorry to hear that you are having trouble finding availability at the GF for your new dates..:headache: Hopefully something will open up soon... We are jumping ship next trip..yep..this GF gal is heading over to the CR (for now!)... (DD's choice) ..lol..and I was getting some cold feet... and was checking for availability at the GF for our dates..and the pickings were very slim..and absolutely none with the discount...:eek:

Boy am I hungry...everything sounds so good...I personally am a fan of the eggs benedict (no lobster tho...)...You know its always about the food! ;) Lots of good meals to be had here IMO...GFC is a fave of ours..for breakfast lunch or dinner! I can attest to the good coffee.... Didnt know it was a special blend...Thanks for that info! :goodvibes There really is always something new to learn around here!

I know, while I was typing that I was dreaming of breakfast at GFC! lol We like lunch there, too, but don't often do dinner - don't know why.:scratchin We love the regular benedict, too, one of our faves in any restaurant on vacation. Oh, and the coffee - it WAS a special blend, now that they are using Joffrey's, I'm not sure. I forgot they recently switched.

Enjoy your stay at the CR!! I think you have stayed there before, right? I'm sure you will have a great time, and think of the lovely view across the water.:lovestruc

I have a hard time getting used to using my cell for photos - my hand is too shaky!:blush: Have to delete a lot of blurry photos.:rotfl2:

You're welcome! If you have any more questions, just ask - that's why we're here.:flower3:

Hello,

I've never seen them offered, but I'm pretty sure you can ask one of the CMs and they will get it for you. As champagne is offered in the evenings, and beer/wine are available any time for the asking, I'm assuming they would make a mimosa.:goodvibes

I don't use my phone to its full capacity either because I don't know how to use a lot of the features. My DSs are always giving me a hard time and asking me why I got it if I'm not going to use it the way it's meant to be used :rotfl2:.

Man, I know that feeling!;)

Sooooooo, not shockingly.....the resort changer has changed again. :rolleyes2

Our original plan for our August trip was CR CL TPV (since Poly is out for us), but when the prices came out, it was kind of intimidating, so we went with Sugarloaf instead. Now that Sugarloaf is almost PIF, I am realizing I can swing the extra for CR and the CL TPV is a total bucket list item for me and my family. I called last night and was lucky enough to be able to get it with our 40% discount!!!! :cool1:

I just wanted to say thanks to those of you that are so helpful here on this thread! :goodvibes

As a side note, ironically, the new decor actually had something to do with it....the CR decor is much more our style versus the old GF decor, but when I chose GF, I figured it would be a "different" experience....however, the new decor is very much our style....so, so much for the new experience....might as well be at the CR. So, in that respect, I see what a lot of you are saying about taking away the decor that make GF different. ::yes::

Thanks again!!!! You guys rock!

You are welcome - enjoy your planning, I know you'll have a good time at the CR.:goodvibes

Me too....:thumbsup2 We are the same way with the cell phone as opposed to a traditonal camera these day...phone pics keep getting better and better..I cant even figure out all of the different things that my phone camera can do?????? :confused3 LOL... but I love the convenience...and the quality of the pictures...:goodvibes

I know that k&a&c'smom has already given you lots of good info about the room categories and views in both CLs:thumbsup2...but I just wanted to add a bit of info...:) The TPV rooms from the GF in RPC while lovely..are a distant view of the park/castle...just dont want you to have the wrong expectation...they are also the furthest rooms from the lounge..44 (4th floor) or 43 (3rd floor) 01 being the very last room and I think 07 being the closest...:confused3 Not that its a terribly long walk...but still..a bit of a distance from the lounge....

Boy am I hungry...everything sounds so good...I personally am a fan of the eggs benedict (no lobster tho...)...You know its always about the food! ;) Lots of good meals to be had here IMO...GFC is a fave of ours..for breakfast lunch or dinner! I can attest to the good coffee....:coffee: Didnt know it was a special blend...Thanks for that info! :goodvibes There really is always something new to learn around here! :goodvibes

I totally understand maia the GF is our vacation home away from home..and on the occasion that we venture some place different I feel a little out of sorts until I settle in... Fortunately the grounds are compact..easy to figure out..and the GF also has many things..like transportation that is the same as at the Poly...

Congrats on booking the GF...:goodvibes The gounds are little busier in general thses days with the addition of the VGF...and the pools quite a bit busier too....

With the addition of the folks visiting from the Poly due to their pool construction...and the change in the courtyard pool to a very large kiddie pool...I think this whole area is going to be alot busier come fall...but there are two pools..and seating is plentiful...just less of the former serene atmosphere (in the courtyard pool area)...But I do think that wont be much of a change from the main Poly pool..as I have seen how busy that it usually is...

There are some nice things to see and do at the GF...there is the Parasol Parade certain mornings at 8am..weather permitting..where the housekeepers parade thru the courtyard area sporting pretty umbrellas...

And there is the wonderful afternoon into evening music in the lobby...there are a few wonderful pianists (Christian Frederick is a fave of ours..altho he was not there during our lasst stay??) ...and the GF Society Orchestra...:dance3:

BTW..what is the Memory Maker discount?? Dont think I have heard about that??

:cheer2: :cheer2:

Hope that all of my fellow GF fans are having a super Saturday! :earsgirl:

The memory maker discount came out on Feb. 4. It's a free Memory Maker (149.00) and a discount on your resort room from Aug. 15 to Sept 30. You have to stay at least 3 nights. It fell at the right time for us, since we're going in Sept. The CM couldn't tell me what percent I'm getting off our room, but in total it came to a savings of $953.00! We're staying SL.

Now I don't have to worry about adding free dining (if it comes out). This discount actually saved us an extra $102.00.

It really is a wonderful pool and view.::yes::

The December pricing is so disheartening, for a lot of people it's completely out of the question now, which is a shame.

Good luck with your temps. I'll wish very hard for no more snow! We woke up to frigid winds, compared to our very warm day yesterday. yeesh

It doesn't get any better than the Poly pool view (IMO) :cloud9:.

The December rates are kind of scary....LOL. We are throwing around a few ideas and not sure just when we want to try to go :confused:. I was originally thinking December, but those holiday rates are steep, so I got a quote from the not-to-be-named travel agency for August for the Poly. It's 40% off, but the date range is from mid August through Labor Day and the dates I got a quote for might be the start of college classes for DS, so that won't work. Plus my DH isn't too keen on going in August, so it looks like it's back to December with higher rates :faint:.

Thanks on the temps, but it looks like we are going to plummet this week and only see temps in the 20s :(. Spring IS coming soon, right??? :rotfl2:

The CM couldn't tell me what percent I'm getting off our room, but in total it came to a savings of $953.00! We're staying SL.

Now I don't have to worry about adding free dining (if it comes out). This discount actually saved us an extra $102.00.

Congrats on the savings :thumbsup2.

:blush:

Just swinging thru to say hi to GF friends. Not much to add. I'm just missing the Grand.
:lovestruc

Hope everyone is well.

Mousemommy1- Hope your CR vacation is wonderful. Sounds like it's a good choice for you.

k&a&c'smom-- Hope your son is doing well. :hug:

mickeynut1-- The GF at Christmas is so wonderful! That's a fun trip to plan. ::yes::

marlaine8- What week will you be traveling in Sept? I've been the week of Labor Day three times, staying at the GF in SL. This is our first time going later in September. Usually when we have been, it has been super slow- around 35% occupancy. This year with the Poly being in renovations, it might be a lot more busy. That's what I'm expecting anyway. If it's slow that will be a happy surprise. pixiedust:

Hope everyone has a good day. Spring is on it's way-- just a little more of this cold stuff and we'll all be home free!:banana:

Popping in for a :grouphug: from work! Tomorrow is ADR day, and I am thinking a Tea Party might be nice for my DD 9, 7, & 6. They are such picky chicks though...IDK. Missing my "Grands"!!!

Just swinging thru to say hi to GF friends. Not much to add. I'm just missing the Grand.

Hope everyone is well.

mickeynut1-- The GF at Christmas is so wonderful! That's a fun trip to plan. ::yes::

Hope everyone has a good day. Spring is on it's way-- just a little more of this cold stuff and we'll all be home free!:banana:

Hi JoBird :wave2:.

I agree the GF is beautiful during the holidays. We stayed there in December 2010 and I just loved walking the grounds taking everything in :cloud9:. A December trip isn't definite, but I'm staying hopeful it will work out. We are going to try something different, though, instead of the Grand. Of course the resort is always subject to change once/if discounts come out ;).

I hope spring is on its way because I have had about all I can take of this cold and snow :rotfl::rotfl:.

Hope you are having a good day :flower3:.

Popping in for a :grouphug: from work! Tomorrow is ADR day, and I am thinking a Tea Party might be nice for my DD 9, 7, & 6. They are such picky chicks though...IDK. Missing my "Grands"!!!

Hi pas :goodvibes. I hope things are going well with you :flower3:. Good luck with your ADRs tomorrow. LOL on your picky chicks. I think the tea party is a great idea ::yes::.

Hi pas :goodvibes. I hope things are going well with you :flower3:. Good luck with your ADRs tomorrow. LOL on your picky chicks. I think the tea party is a great idea ::yes::.

:hug: Thanks my friend, my DS13 will want to come too I bet...for the food :lmao:

:blush:

Hope everyone is well.

Mousemommy1- Hope your CR vacation is wonderful. Sounds like it's a good choice for you.

k&a&c'smom-- Hope your son is doing well. :hug:

marlaine8- What week will you be traveling in Sept? I've been the week of Labor Day three times, staying at the GF in SL. This is our first time going later in September. Usually when we have been, it has been super slow- around 35% occupancy. This year with the Poly being in renovations, it might be a lot more busy. That's what I'm expecting anyway. If it's slow that will be a happy surprise. pixiedust:

We're going the 7th to the 13th. This will be our 7th time going the same week. Our first ever trip we went the week of Labor Day and it was a little busier earlier in the week. Once we went the week after, but being the week of my DS's birthday, we didn't like it as well. (My Mom hated that she couldn't be with him on his birthday!) We always just celebrate his birthday a week early while we're there!
We've always loved the low crowds that September brings. It's also only the 3rd week of school, so my son is only missing review. No tests or anything big. (I'm lucky he's always gotten straight A's, so missing reviews doesn't make him get behind.)
I'm concerned about the crowds at the GF itself, with so many of us Poly lovers defecting to the GF! In each building itself, they can only hold so many people, even at capacity. But I'm more worried about the pool, because of the Poly people having the right to use the pool at GF. I'm also concerned about the restaurants being really busy at GF.
I'm hoping to fall in love with the GF! All I want is a great room, great CMs, great Club Level, great pools and great restaurants! I know, I'm asking for a lot! lol I'm hoping to be GF loyalists in the future!

We have stayed at the Grand Floridian twice and loved it. Both times we have stayed on the 4th floor. We would like to stay in the first two rooms as you head down the hall from the food area but can not remember the room numbers. Do any of you know what they might be or know where I can find out? Thanks!

I'm hoping to fall in love with the GF! All I want is a great room, great CMs, great Club Level, great pools and great restaurants!

I'm sure you will love it as the GF is all of those things :thumbsup2. The Poly is our favorite resort, but I also LOVE the GF as each offers a different experience.

We have stayed at the Grand Floridian twice and loved it. Both times we have stayed on the 4th floor. We would like to stay in the first two rooms as you head down the hall from the food area but can not remember the room numbers. Do any of you know what they might be or know where I can find out? Thanks!

I can't help with the room numbers, but I'm certain one of the GF regulars will be able to give you that information :flower3:.

:rotfl: Maybe they'll be a preteen big sis in the crowd ;)

There ya go :thumbsup2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter