Haven’t visited in about 4yrs & need some advice

cuppiecakebows

Earning My Ears
We haven’t been to Disney World in three years and by the time we book our next vacation it will be almost 4. I’ve tried to avoid all things Disney World related for the past three years because I knew we couldn’t afford to go and like the little baby I am (ha!) it made me sad. So, now i feel out of touch with the parks and resorts and dining plans and so on. We are planning a trip for our 25th anniversary the first week of March and trying to decide between staying at Pop or Port Orleans, doing all 4 parks and the quick service dining plan. We are also taking our 17 and 13 yr old with us. In the past two years our daughter was diagnosed with CRPS, a chronic pain disease, and POTS and is sometimes in a wheelchair. I know we will have to have a handicap accessible room and will be taking her wheelchair to the parks everyday so she doesn’t end up in a flare. We aren’t sure how to go about navigating the parks, the lines etc with her wheelchair. I’ve never looked at Disney World through the eyes of a mom with a child in a wheelchair and she’s a bit nervous about what others might think when she’s wheeled around and then can get out of the chair to get on rides. So, if anyone can help with being in Disney World in a wheelchair and help with all the park changes that we should be aware of that have occurred in the past three to four years that would be great!

Reactions: kab
Being in a wheelchair is really not that much different then walking ( but your siting). For the most part the lines are accessible pretty much up to boarding and the few thst are not will have a way for her to have access to the ride. In some case she will need to walnor stand to get to the ride make sure you let the CM know how many steps she can take so they know how to beat help her.

Regarding handicapped accessible rooms....
Some people think that if you have a wheelchair, you need an accessible room.
Just clarifying that you don’t need an accessible room unless you need features like a roll in shower, raised toilet seat or grab bars in the shower and by the toilet. The total size of the rooms with roll in showers is similar to ‘regular’ rooms. The bed area might actually be a little smaller because some of the usual bedroom space is used to make the bathroom larger.

We travel with a daughter who uses a wheelchair.
Most attractions are accessible in both the regular and a Fastpass lines all the way to boarding. You don’t need anything to use the wheelchair in lines.
The very few that are not accessible have an alternate for access - usually giving a Return Time that is similar to the time you would be waiting in the regular (Standby) line.

If you follow the link in my signature to the disABILITIES FAQs, you will find a lot more information, including access to attractions.

Just here to say that when choosing your Resort, think about what your entire family will enjoy. Your kids might have more fun at Pop, or AOA. POFQ is great if your family loves the boat ride back and forth to Disney Springs (and Disney Springs has doubled in size since you last visited, BTW.)

For the most square footage for your money, don't forget that there are Family Suites at AOA and All-Star Music which give you more space to spread out (possibly important with a teenager along) and for the ultimate "peace and quiet" vacation, your family might love the Cabins at Fort Wilderness as much as we do! :)

For shows like the Beauty and the Beast there are special sections in the theater were you sit with a wheelchair. The same is true of fireworks and parades. There's a roped up area for scooters and wheelchairs for it. You do need to get there early to get one of these spots.

Also, be careful in some areas like around the castle to find the ramp areas to get through it. When crowds are heavy you may not see the ramp and go over a curb. I've seen this happen with a scooter once.

If you're using Disney buses to get to the parks you will be first to board the bus but last to get off.

Soarin' which is a popular ride in Epcot needs to be accessed by elevator to get to the lower level where the ride is located. It's a little difficult the first time to know where this elevator is located; you may have to ask.

If it becomes too much to try to remember which attractions have a special procedure for wheelchair access, it's been my experience that the cast member outside the attraction is good at spotting approaching wheelchairs, asking whether the wheelchair user can transfer, and telling you what exactly you need to do to get in.

Just here to say that when choosing your Resort, think about what your entire family will enjoy. Your kids might have more fun at Pop, or AOA. POFQ is great if your family loves the boat ride back and forth to Disney Springs (and Disney Springs has doubled in size since you last visited, BTW.)

For the most square footage for your money, don't forget that there are Family Suites at AOA and All-Star Music which give you more space to spread out (possibly important with a teenager along) and for the ultimate "peace and quiet" vacation, your family might love the Cabins at Fort Wilderness as much as we do! :)

also, the gondola should be up and running by the end of the year making going to HS and EPCOT easer from POP AoA resort

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter