Have you/would you do a Go Fund Me

maxiesmom

The Mean Squinty Eye Works
I'm curious as to when and why you would set up a Go Fund Me account, if you would do it at all.

I'm not going to lie, I was tempted to last month when I hand an unexpected and quite large vet bill. I ended up taking out a loan to pay for it (we are talking around $7000 over 2 weeks). Today an acquaintance of mine set up a Go Fund Me to pay for their emergency vet bill.

Would you or have you ever set up a Go Fund Me? I don't know, for me I would be uncomfortable asking my friends for money, unless it was something like a friend/family member needed help with medical bills.

Thoughts?

I'm curious as to when and why you would set up a Go Fund Me account, if you would do it at all.

I'm not going to lie, I was tempted to last month when I hand an unexpected and quite large vet bill. I ended up taking out a loan to pay for it (we are talking around $7000 over 2 weeks). Today an acquaintance of mine set up a Go Fund Me to pay for their emergency vet bill.

Would you or have you ever set up a Go Fund Me? I don't know, for me I would be uncomfortable asking my friends for money, unless it was something like a friend/family member needed help with medical bills.

Thoughts?

We are very fortunate that if we had something catastrophic happen that our savings, credit cards, etc didn’t cover, we could borrow from my mom. I can’t envision a scenario where I would do a Go Fund Me account.

The only situation I could see myself even considering doing one is to save someone's life.
There was a GFM set up immediately when a dear friend was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer last summer. Over $100,000.00 was raised in less than two weeks to fund a trip to a world-renowned private facility in Vienna, Austria, for alternative treatments. It was never specifically mentioned who set the fund up but I suspect it was someone else on their behalf - not the family themselves.

Thoughts?
No. I can’t imagine asking anyone for money, for anything, especially to pay a vet bill.

I would never set one up for myself or immediate family, but I would set one up for a close friend or relative (outside of my immediate family) for a catastrophic situation such as cancer, death of a child, etc. Hope I'm never faced with that situation!

I’m totally against doing GoFundMe campaigns for vet bills. Being a pet owner, you assume responsibility for your animal and know there may be times where the financial burden will be heavy. I have spent $$$ on my last golden when she had cancer. I didn’t ask anyone for a handout. I don’t think it’s anyone else’s responsibility to pay for my pet then me. I hate it when people send me links to GoFundMe campaigns and ask me to share it on my dog’s IG page.

When I had cancer my big sister wanted to set one up For me, I asked why, I got insurance, she said " you could get a lot of money Jay", I gave her the evil eye, and she knew that met dont do it, and never bring this up again . LOL

Thoughts?
I would never, ever do a GoFundMe for personal expenses, no matter how dire. I would never expect someone else to pay my bills. I would exhaust every other option before I ask someone to pay something for me, including finding another vet that takes payments if I could not qualify for a Care account.

I would set up a fund for someone who was experiencing a tragedy.

We have set up a GoFundMe for our 501c3 organization mainly just for ease of having a convenient portal to donate. We never advertise it, just give the link to people who ask if we have one. We do have a PayPal gives button on our website, but again, never advertise or push it.

I"ve never started a GoFundMe page, but I have made several Donors Choose pages for work. Severe special education program in a very poor school district. No shame-our kids need access to expensive materials. :)
Donors Choose is awesome! You are absolutely right--there's no shame in it.

I'm no stranger to asking people for money: I have written (and won) grants for nonprofits that I worked for, and I have posted projects on Donors Choose, and i often find myself in the position of having to call local businesses and civic groups to solicit donations. Go Fund Me makes me uncomfortable for some reason though, and I honestly can't think of anything that would compel me to create a Go Fund Me page on behalf of myself or anyone else. I've never donated to a Go Fund Me page either.

I would never, ever do a GoFundMe for personal expenses, no matter how dire. I would never expect someone else to pay my bills. I would exhaust every other option before I ask someone to pay something for me, including finding another vet that takes payments if I could not qualify for a Care account.

I would set up a fund for someone who was experiencing a tragedy.

We have set up a GoFundMe for our 501c3 organization mainly just for ease of having a convenient portal to donate. We never advertise it, just give the link to people who ask if we have one. We do have a PayPal gives button on our website, but again, never advertise or push it.
:rolleyes1 A few years ago now friends of ours lost their little son in a tragic drowning accident. The incident occurred in a public location and was quite widely covered by local media. Some well-meaning strangers started a GFM for the family without their knowledge or permission. The family was incensed and humiliated and declined the proceeds; the organizers issued a public apology. I'm not sure how it all ended up or if GFM refunded the money to the donors.

:rolleyes1 A few years ago now friends of ours lost their little son in a tragic drowning accident. The incident occurred in a public location and was quite widely covered by local media. Some well-meaning strangers started a GFM for the family without their knowledge or permission. The family was incensed and humiliated and declined the proceeds; the organizers issued a public apology. I'm not sure how it all ended up or if GFM refunded the money to the donors.

Ouch. That's rough. Very kind of the strangers but I can see how embarrassed the family would feel. Especially if they are able to cover any costs and have no need for the generous donations.

My DH has spent the last 3 years battling cancer and every once in a while I worry someone will try to set up a fundraiser or something for us. Between our insurance and our savings, we had enough to cover all his needs and treatments so any fundraising on our behalf would have just been embarrassing. It would be different if we actually needed the financial help. As it is, some kind friends, relatives and coworkers gave us some generous cash gifts at various times and that was a little embarrassing to accept. They were not huge amounts though so we just put the gifts towards our costs that our heakthcare doesn't cover (regular travel to the hospital 2 hours away, supplements , and some alternative treatments).

Ouch. That's rough. Very kind of the strangers but I can see how embarrassed the family would feel. Especially if they are able to cover any costs and have no need for the generous donations.

My DH has spent the last 3 years battling cancer and every once in a while I worry someone will try to set up a fundraiser or something for us. Between our insurance and our savings, we had enough to cover all his needs and treatments so any fundraising on our behalf would have just been embarrassing. It would be different if we actually needed the financial help. As it is, some kind friends, relatives and coworkers gave us some generous cash gifts at various times and that was a little embarrassing to accept. They were not huge amounts though so we just put the gifts towards our costs that our heakthcare doesn't cover (regular travel to the hospital 2 hours away, supplements , and some alternative treatments).
Yeah - this family had no practical need for the money. The situation was made quite a bit worse by the fact that they were from an ethnic background that has cultural "baggage" (I don't mean this as an insult - I just can't think of another way to put it) related to their image and the perception of financial need. They did receive some advice about accepting the donations and using them to fund some other worthy cause but decided against it as they felt it would be dishonest to the original donors.

I would not set one up for a pet.

Maybe a family member in a tragedy or horrible expensive disease .

We are close to 2 families who have had Go Fund Me's for very sick children.

The first family is like one mentioned above who did not need the $ raised. They set up a charity and paid it all forward.

The second has an active Go Fund me for their baby born with a seizure disorder in March. The fund was started by friends.

Both of these families are ones who are used to being the overt givers and not on the receiving end at all.

Last edited:
Just to ease your mind, I would never set up any kind of fundraising effort without a 100% buy in from the intended recipient. That is just wrong. :rolleyes1

I know a couple who set up a GFM for their anticipated vet bills,which would’ve totaled a few thousand at most. They make 6 figures, well above $100,000.

I would never do that, and we have had ungodly vet bills. On more than one occasion, we have done without yearly vacations, postponed buying a needed car, and severely cut back on expenses to pay vet bills.

We had two cats and when they died, we got two more. One of those has already died. Medical treatments (not routine exams and vaccinations) have run into 5 figures+++ for each pair of cats. We are not rich. We just do without something else and pay our vet bills. Those cats are our responsibility.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter