Have you tried "Vegetable Noodles"?

Discussion in 'Community Board' started by aristocatz, May 28, 2016.

1. aristocatz

aristocatz DIS Veteran

They are not actually noodles, but they are cut like noodles & they seem to be the new craze. We bought squash & zucchini "noodles" tonight & served them in a stir fry with sesame oil & I have to say I really enjoyed them! They have sort of a soft texture like noodles. We served the dish with brown rice. I"m thinking of buying a vegetable spiral tool to make them myself.

Just wondering if anyone else has delved into the world of vegetable "noodles" & what other recipes you've tried?

2. FairestOfThemAll37

FairestOfThemAll37 DIS Veteran

I usually make zucchini noodles with pesto and then put it with chicken or shrimp.

3. Avatar

Advertisement

4. aristocatz

aristocatz DIS Veteran

Which tool do you use to spiral the zucchini?

5. megster1123

megster1123 Blown away at Pictured Rocks. Literally.

Oddly enough we're having dinner tonight of veggie noodles (squash, sweet corn & carrot) with ground turkey in a garlic sauce. It's super healthy and the kids love it - with the benefit of the veggies hidden in the spaghetti :)

6. FairestOfThemAll37

FairestOfThemAll37 DIS Veteran

I just have one of the little hand held spiralizers. I don't remember the exact brand but they're all over Amazon for $9-12.

If I made the noodles more often or was doing more than about 6 such in at once I may look for a tabletop version with a crank. The little ones are a workout!

7. megster1123

megster1123 Blown away at Pictured Rocks. Literally.

I purchased a Vegetti tool that was "supposed" to be able to make noodles from squash, zucchini, etc. It was horrible so also looking for a better tool for this!

8. AppleDumpling

AppleDumpling DIS Veteran

The Veggetti works fine for me. I've also used a julienne peeler.

There is a deluxe Veggetti model with a crank and many other more expensive "spiralizers" you can buy.

I love the zucchini noodles; I sauté them with olive oil and garlic and add diced tomatoes. Served by itself or mixed with real pasta (spaghetti, linguine or fettucine) and a little parmesan cheese. I've also done carrots, sweet potatoes and apples.

Last edited: May 28, 2016
  9. low-key

low-key DIS Veteran

I will take some but get the vegetables out of my face

10. ronandannette

ronandannette I gave myself this tag and I "Like" myself too!

This sounds like a really good idea - by themselves the "strands" of squash are just not similar enough in texture to pasta for my liking. (They're fine on their own as a vegetable side dish, just not as an interchangeable substitute for pasta.)

11. LinderInWonderland

LinderInWonderland DIS Veteran

In addition to my julienne peeler (for zucchini, carrots, etc.), I eat a fair amount of spaghetti squash, which 'noodles' itself with just a fork.

12. Poohforyou

Poohforyou DIS Veteran

I have a hand held tool I got off Amazon. I think it's called a zoodle. I have a recipe for veggie noodle pasta salad I have to try.

13. Squirlz

Squirlz DIS Veteran

We get Miracle Noodles. Low carbs and a very passable substitute.

14. pezheadmeg

pezheadmeg feminsit turned fashion student

They were dinner the last 3 nights. I made a batch on Wednesday using my mandolin slicer. I looked at the vegetti, but decided just to use what I had. I just get more ziti size pieces versus spaghetti strands.

I've been slicing them at 3/8's of an inch, toss them with salt, pepper, and garlic than bake them at 250 for 30 minutes. Then they can be either heated in a frying pan or in the microwave.

I'm in the midst of a 21 Day Fix so they've become a dinner essential the last 2 weeks.

15. ashley0139

ashley0139 DIS Veteran

Yep, I love zoodles. I especially love doing half zoodles half pasta.

16. bcla

bcla DIS Veteran

Wouldn't spaghetti squash be easier?

MaryLovesPoohBear likes this.
  17. ashley0139

ashley0139 DIS Veteran

It's not for me because you have to take the time to roast it first and then scrape it all out. Takes much longer than running a zucchini through a spiralizer.

18. Cannot_Wait_4Disney

Cannot_Wait_4Disney Ok all you A cattle, get in ...

I've tried them. But They are not for me.

19. tvguy

tvguy Question anything the facts don't support.

I buy Broccoli slaw from time to time, shredded broccoli. I use it with cole slaw dressing, I use it with regular dressing, I've cooked it and served it as a vegetable side dish, guess you could use it with spaghetti sauce. My doctor swears broccoli is a miracle food.

20. jevs

jevs Boring Poster

I made some zucchini noodles a few months back - they were a failure.
    Friends swear by veggie noodles but they're obviously much better in the kitchen than me.

21. Nimbusteach

Nimbusteach I solemnly swear that I am up to no good!

I'm obsessed with my Spiraletti contraption! Zucchini is my fav, but carrot, cucumber and sweet potato work great too. Next I want to try beets, just need to find a recipe.