Have you tried Atkins? and if so....

Hi lilly, I did Atkins a couple of years ago and lost 17# in 2-3 months. I did not do it 100% and I did join a health club and worked out at least 5 days a week. I'm trying to get motivated to get back on it. I'm type 2 diabetic and I have to say that when I was on it my blood sugars went way down which is what I needed to do. Keep me posted on how you are doing and hopefully it will get me motivated. :Pinkbounc poohlover2 , Pam (under dh log in forgot to do mine)

Hi and thanks for responding...I am starting induction today! Hopefully I can keep my willpower up for two weeks!

I need to lose 22 overall so I am hoping this gives me a jump start. I also plan on working out at least 3-4 times a week. On my lunch today I did 40 minutes on the bike! :) Yeah! It's out of the way today so anything I do tonight is gravy so to speak!!

Would love to hear what anyone thinks of Atkins and what you lost in the first month or so and if you kept doing induction past the second week!

I did Atkins two years ago, and did quite well. On induction, I lost 11 pounds the first two weeks (but I had a lot more to lose than you).

I found that day 3 and 4 to be the hardest to get thru. I felt a little flu-like, and had a head-ache.

I've done it in the past with great success my problem is when I go back off. I always lose at least 10 pounds on induction. I'm on my 3rd go round now I started last Monday and am already down 10 pounds but I had about 45-50 to start. So I am not sure what you'd expect with 22. All I know is summer is coming and Atkins is the only thing that truely works for me at a good rate of speed. I do exercise and have a fairly active job which helps.

I normally stay close to induction all the time..... the only thing I ever really add is fresh berries when summer season rolls around. If you start adding after induction just be careful you don't go too high everyone has a slightly different level they can lose at. have you checked out the lowcarbfriends website? It has fantastic message boards! http://lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/

At any rate I am doing well down 12.5 so far for me 2 weeks....

How are you doing? I'm suprised no one else has replied. I think Atkins has really dropped off in popularity. Anyways my 2 weeks ends tomorrow and I am down 16. I can totally live with that. I'm sure it will slow down from here out though but I am happy.

My brother started Adkins roughly 2 1/2 years ago or so. He lost 25 lbs. in the first 2 weeks. He stuck to it like glue...but didn't really work out or anything. He has lost 130+ lbs. and has kept it off. He totally looks like a new person.

Bonus: His blood pressure went down and he was able to go off med's too.

well I caved and had carbs so I need to start over.....but I was good for almost the entire week and had lost nothing...kind of discouraging!

Sorry to hear that, it is deffinitly discouraging. All I can say is not every diet is for everyone. Maybe south beach would work out better since it allows a wider variety of foods?

themudd: How awesome for your brother! That's so great he has kept it off!

I've done Atkins twice. The first time, I lost 29 lbs. in a month...and I ate like a piggy ;) . This time, I lost about 12 lbs. in the induction phase and stayed in the high end of ketosis. The problem???? I feel good for awhile on Atkins and then I become sick. I get abdominal pains (like gallbladder only I had it removed years ago) and start feeling ill. I even get chest pains at times on the diet.... So, what am I doing??? Having a little fun (but not going nuts on carbs) until I get my Michael Thermond's body makeover diet. My daughter and I are going on it together even though she only really needs a little toning. A friend of mine started this program and she's losing well. On this plan, I'd be able to have some fruits and a little bit of potato carbs. I think it's a little healthier. I'm not meaning to knock Atkins. I just feel it's not healthy for me My mom is a cardiac patient and her cardiologist said some of her patients are on Atkins and doing very well. Their labs show lowered cholesterol and better labwork. I do believe Atkins had something there and it's so sad he died before he could see the huge effect his diet had on people after all those years of arguing it.

Rae - would you mind telling what types things you eat? snack items....and can you have wine during induction? I see that it has very little carbs....

I must be the only person in the world who gained weight on Atkins, and South Beach, too. I tried both for the induction phase + 1 week, and gained 5 lbs on Atkins, 10 on South beach. Now I'm on WW, and have lost that 15, plus another 10, and I'm NEVER hungry, and NEVER felt the least sick or uncomfortable. Guess there's a method for everyone, and not every method is good for every person.

Eat less and exercise more??? Sometimes things don't work out that way for some.... I binge and purge.... I'm 46 years old and have done this on and off since I was a young teen. I've gone for counsel but this is something I fall into fairly often. Many people have different eating disorders and we try to cope the best we can. As far as exercise, that too, is difficult for me. I do try to walk but I'm on my feet 9 hours each nite I work (5-6 evenings a week) and with a chronic problem with heel spurs!!!! :( ... not to mention the things I do at home before I go to work (we live on a small farm)... I'm certainly not saying this for anyone's sympathy and I don't mean to sound critical BUT we can't judge where others are at or so easily say...." Eat less and exercise more".

Ms. Mouse - I didn't like that post either and just chose to ignore it considering the poster!

Ursula - I love WW and am a lifetime member - right now I am 16 away from getting back to my lifetime weight (and able to show my face again)...I haev been following Atkins to the letter since Wednesday and have lost. I plan to do the 2 week induction and go from there...eventually getting back to ww....that is such an easy plan to follow...I always allowed myself a bad night per week - usually weigh in night - ! Good luck you are doing great!

Ursula,
Don't feel badly, I did lose a good amount of weight when I was on Atkins but before Atkins, I followed South Beach to the tee and gained 3 lbs. the first week and also gained another 2 the second before I scrapped that diet idea. My doctor told me at one time that if we have a constant stress in our lives it's possible for our bodies to hold onto weight because if we are under stress AND dieting also, our bodies may think they are in starvation mode and hang onto weight..... I don't know how true this is but it does make sense... AND it's happened to me where the Weight Watchers leader asked me to jot down everything I put into my mouth for two weeks in a row (because of lack of weight loss and one week of weight gain) and he said there was no reason for it and to go to the doctor, who checked my blood for anything that could be wrong (especially thyroid, hormones etc.) and everything was normal.....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter