Have you taken a covid test in order to visit family?

I have no intention of visiting anyone at risk so don't plan on it. If I were I would probably just choose to give blood since they test for antibodies and you also get to check off the good deed box for the day.

We have not tested yet, but DD tested this morning because she is coming home from college Friday for a visit. Her university uses the brain probes (nasal swabs) and they get the results later the same day or the next day.

Not to visit family. But I've been getting tested weekly for work. The nasal swab sucks, but I'll be doing this for the foreseeable future. It does make me feel better about visiting our parents. That said, I still wore a mask while visiting my uncle who has cancer. And I still haven't been inside with my husband's Granny who is 98.

No, nor would I if asked. And I've visited with many of them since and none have asked.

Why would you decline? Not judging at all, just curious. I want to weigh everything before we get tested. Thanks.

My kids took it, not to visit family but to visit another state where there were restrictions in place. They had the nasal test done. Results were back in 24 hours though they were told it could take 3 days. no charge for the test at a local urgent care. We have been in contact with my parents from the outset so for us not an issue but if you are that worried, I would not have them over or do a socially distant visit.

My husband wants us to get tested because his parents won't come over otherwise, from what I gather. They are very afraid of catching this virus. They are 77 and 83 years old, father in law has asthma.

I had one of the tests (negative) back this spring. I'll be happy to live the rest of my life w/o having to take another one, I found it very unpleasant/uncomfortable experience.
Obviously, if it was required due to medical procedure or hospitalization of myself or family member I would take one again, luckily I haven't had that situation come up.

I understand there is a saliva test you can take. I wouldn't do the nose swab to visit a family member.

Thank you. If you have a link to this information I would be very grateful if you could post it.
Well it was a question asked of the Health Commissioner during a press conference. There may be a recording or transcript somewhere. I did find this from the Dept. of Health:

^^ That information could vary by state. However, covid tests given anywhere are simply a point in time result. As others have mentioned, I don't see a lot of value in doing this just to be able to have a family gathering. Someone could get exposed to covid after their test (in any number of ways), which make the prior result useless.

During covid, the best advice is to not have large indoor family gatherings.
Yes, that is basically what is recommended here.

I had the nasal swab test at my local MedExpress pre-surgery, and was told to stay home for 7 days between the test and surgery date. Results took less than 48 hours to come back. MedExpress doesn't take prescriptions, so it wasn't reported as a doctor order and I do not know yet what my insurance will end up paying.

I'm not sure what we are doing for Thanksgiving (we are the older parents in our case).

One of our college sons had a rapid test today. He said it was fairly easy , not invasive. He had his results back within minutes. Negative. He has been in contact in the last 2 weeks with 3 people who were positive. And was curious.

There was recently news that the federal government has released a lot of rapid tests to the states, especially for college campuses and institutions.

I am considering getting a rapid test before Thanksgiving. We are being careful and I want to host an outdoor distanced gathering of family for Thanksgiving.

One of our college sons had a rapid test today. He said it was fairly easy , not invasive. He had his results back within minutes. Negative. He has been in contact in the last 2 weeks with 3 people who were positive. And was curious.

There was recently news that the federal government has released a lot of rapid tests to the states, especially for college campuses and institutions.

I am considering getting a rapid test before Thanksgiving. We are being careful and I want to host an outdoor distanced gathering of family for Thanksgiving.

Is the rapid test the saliva test?

Yes, because I had some symptoms that would have caused me to flunk the screening required to take my elderly mother to a doctor's appt. without one. I don't know anyone who has able to just been able to decide to get one without having some symptoms. You hear on the news that the "tests are available for everyone" but it's certainly not true here.

It did help my peace of mind since I had to have her in my car etc. after not seeing her at all for her own safety for so long. However, I still worried I could pick it up prior to actually seeing her. It was a tool to make my best effort. We still masked, etc. and did everything as if I could still be a carrier.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter