Have you taken a covid test in order to visit family?

mefordis

If you can dream it, you can do it.
My husband wants us all to take a covid test before Thanksgiving in order to visit his parents, who are terrified of catching covid19.

They offer saliva tests in our area, from what I understand so it should be pretty easy. Results don't come back for two days, I believe, so we'd have to seal ourselves inside until we get the results and Thanksgiving day when we have them over.

Has anyone taken a test in order to visit with family?

Not to visit family for medical reasons both of us are taking Covid test. Husband needed a medical procedure colonoscopy and they wouldn’t let us in the hospital without having both taking test
It did make it easier to visit family because we had the results.

Not to visit family for medical reasons both of us are taking Covid test. Husband needed a medical procedure colonoscopy and they wouldn’t let us in the hospital without having both taking test
It did make it easier to visit family because we had the results.

Hope his colonoscopy went well and everything is okay.

We asked our daughter who had been working at a restaurant and a grocery store (in another state) to take one before she visited us at the end of July. Sadly, she didn’t get results for weeks but she came anyway so she stayed in an airbnb and we wore masks inside our house and social distanced. She was negative when she finally got results. I worry about Christmas.

Last edited:

No. I did take one because my mother had rapid tests at her house (she volunteers in a senior center that was offering tests) and she was testing my son before we moved him into college, so I did one as well.

We asked our daughter who had been working at a restaurant and a grocery store (in another state) to take one before she visited us at the end of July. Sadly, she didn’t get results for weeks but she came anyway so she stayed in an airbnb and we wore masks inside our house and social distanced. She was negative when she finally got results. I worry about Christmas.

This is concerning. What is the point of us getting tested if we don't get the results in time for Thanksgiving (when we plan to get together)?

I also worry about the cost. I doubt insurance will pay if we voluntarily get the test with no symptoms or an order from a doctor.

Our state Health Department just spoke about this yesterday on the governor's press conference. The problem with the test for that type of situation is that you ideally should self-isolate for 7 days prior to taking the test as well as the time while awaiting results and after until your visit occurs. The test is one point in time, but the incubation period is up to 14 days (though apparently they feel most will test positive by 7). So you could test negative but still end up positive a couple of days later. My state's Health Dept. is not recommending testing like this for holiday visits - it was specifically asked.

No. I work for a hospital and still have never been tested.

My grandmothers are pretty relaxed about it all but one of my grandmothers just asks us not to go over if we’ve been at a “large” gathering recently. And we respect that.

Our state Health Department just spoke about this yesterday on the governor's press conference. The problem with the test for that type of situation is that you ideally should self-isolate for 7 days prior to taking the test as well as the time while awaiting results and after until your visit occurs. The test is one point in time, but the incubation period is up to 14 days (though apparently they feel most will test positive by 7). So you could test negative but still end up positive a couple of days later. My state's Health Dept. is not recommending testing like this for holiday visits - it was specifically asked.

Thank you. If you have a link to this information I would be very grateful if you could post it.

^^ That information could vary by state. However, covid tests given anywhere are simply a point in time result. As others have mentioned, I don't see a lot of value in doing this just to be able to have a family gathering. Someone could get exposed to covid after their test (in any number of ways), which make the prior result useless.

During covid, the best advice is to not have large indoor family gatherings.

Here you can test with no symptoms, no charge. My family has been tested numerous times before visiting others. Ds22 took the rapid test and nasal test because his office mate tested positive and quarantined at his apartment. Honestly, I don’t know many who haven’t tested yet.

My kids took it, not to visit family but to visit another state where there were restrictions in place. They had the nasal test done. Results were back in 24 hours though they were told it could take 3 days. no charge for the test at a local urgent care. We have been in contact with my parents from the outset so for us not an issue but if you are that worried, I would not have them over or do a socially distant visit.

I had one of the tests (negative) back this spring. I'll be happy to live the rest of my life w/o having to take another one, I found it very unpleasant/uncomfortable experience.
Obviously, if it was required due to medical procedure or hospitalization of myself or family member I would take one again, luckily I haven't had that situation come up.

Yes. my husband has been tested about 9 times through his work just as screening, they get results in 24 hours. He has done the nasal swabs every time. Before we went to a beach house with my parents we isolated for 12 days prior (we were anyway for summer) and then my husband got tested about 2 days before we left. My parents are 75+ so they isolate anyway as well.

The key is you have to isolate beforehand or else the test will be a false sense of security. It takes several days after exposure for a positive to show up— I think 5 days. So if you go out to eat, have kids in school, or visit friends on a Monday, taking a test 2 days later could give a false negative. Then of course, you have to isolate in between the testing and when you actually get to your in laws as well. If you are flying, then obviously there is a chance of exposure that there is no way you can know about before you get to their house.

Also, the rapid tests are notorious for poor sensitivity. A positive is likely accurate, but some give a 45% false negative rate.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts