Have you stopped drinking soda? Or cut down?

Carbonated beverages make my DH's acid reflux SO much worse. So even though we bought a Sodastream a few years ago, we pretty much never drink soda anymore. I think I have some Coke 2L stashed away in the pantry for mixers but other than that... nope!
He drinks some beer though... I hear that's not an easy habit to kick once you acquire a taste for it :D

About five years ago I quit Coke cold turkey. I was drinking 3-4 cans a day and I knew it wasn’t good for me. It was a rough week but after that I really felt great. Maybe eight months afterward, I got a real craving so I decided to order a coke at a drive through. OMG I could not believe how sweet it was. I couldn’t believe it. But, I kept drinking a few a month and got back into drinking it.

Up until a few months ago I limited it to fountain drinks because in my head there was less sugar because it was mixed with soda water.

One day, I made a mistake and caved even more and bought a small bottle of coke. It was so good and now I’m back to 2-3 cans a day. I’m so mad at myself for getting back into it.

I need the fizz. I drank 7-UP for a long time and orange Fanta to get the fizz. Now, I need my coke. I can’t drink anything with aspartame because it messes with my stomach. Plus, all the diets and zeros taste really gross to me.

Never had soda at home often, both while growing up and after. At restaurants I did have it more often, especially if a beverage came with the meal. But for a few years now I usually just have water even when out, so overall my consumption is down.

Were all brands of diet soda bad? Was it the artificial sweeteners, or for other reasons too? As a side note, when Atkins was all the rage, wasn’t one soda brand the preferred one? I think it might have been RC or Diet Rite, I assume due to the sweetener used. But this info may be out of date now.

I average two 12 oz. cans a day, same as it's been for decades. Mostly Coke Zero Cherry. I stock up on 12 packs when they're under $3.

I never liked iced tea or flavored seltzers or plain carbonated waters.

I've stopped completely before, even when dining out. Over the summer I've started drinking it again only at restaurants. I've always drank diet soda so it's not the calories that are an issue, but I know it's still not good for me. I don't know if the other fizzy diet drinks I buy are any better, though.

I gave up soda awhile ago. I either drink water or sparkling water. We keep a lot of fruit in the house so if I need some flavor, I’ll add in some fruit.

I average two 12 oz. cans a day, same as it's been for decades. Mostly Coke Zero Cherry. I stock up on 12 packs when they're under $3.

I never liked iced tea or flavored seltzers or plain carbonated waters.
My favorite. Next in line is regular Coke.

I don't enjoy water. At all. The only way I can get it down is to flavor it with something. Otherwise, I'll drink it if there is literally nothing else or it is just enough to take a pill.

Yep. Cold turkey when I started dieting. It made a huge difference in terms of losing weight as well. Now, I only drink soft drinks/cordials on occasions when I’m out and about.

I drink coffee (far too much) herbal teas, and water mostly.

We quit buying it several years ago. I will drink a Dr. Pepper every now and then if we are out somewhere, maybe a few times a year? Only fountain though, not from a can or bottle, and always regular not diet/artificial sweetners.

We do drink sweet tea at home, and we are all water drinkers.

Last edited:
I start & end every day with Diet Pepsi. It is the first thing I have when I get home from work. Some people pour a glass of wine, I grab my bottle of Diet Pepsi.
It’s a love affair.

I will have a can of Coke Life about every week. I order unsweet tea at restaurants and carry stevia to sweeten in (not many restaurants carry it yet). Sweet tea was my big vice and I was finally able to give it up when I started using stevia.

I gave it up cold turkey a few years ago - I was a Dr Pepper addict and would drink soooo much of it. Occasionally, I'd swap it for a Cherry Coke ;)

I noticed how carbonation affected my Crohns and decided it wasn't worth it so I drink unsweetened iced tea, coffee, or water only now. When I decided last year to finally take control of my weight, it was one less "battle" I had to do since I had already given up on soda so that was an upside!

The taste is really gross to me now - way too sweet and I hate the carbonation taste. DH still often drinks it occasionally but we don't buy it for the house anymore.

Very rarely will I drink soda. I can't have caffeine after noon (keeps me up all night), and I hate lemon-lime flavored soda. I typically drink water all the time, flat and bubbly. There is a restaurant in town that we go to occasionally and their water is terrible so I'll order a Kiddie Cocktail (even their lemonade has the funky flavor).

In high school I stopped ordering sodas at restaurants to save money, and that has followed me into adulthood (I don’t buy it for the house either). I only drink it maybe a few times a year and it always makes my stomach feel bad.

I do love coffee and tea, though. But for the most part I’m a tap water drinker.

I stopped drinking soda several years ago. Now I won't even touch it. It's disgustingly sweet.

If you're drinking soda, you might as well be drinking something completely garbage, like juice.

I have quit a few times... well diet soda is like an addiction. I seem to always come back to it. I try drinking tea, that lasts a little while until I realize how much I really hate tea. I will drink sparkling water, then get bored with it. Maybe in the future I will quit again, but right now I am just sticking with my diet sodas for a while.

I used to drink a little Coke Zero but have switched to Pepsi Zero since Coke discontinued their regular Zero. My stomach is difficult and a bubbly drink helps me. I wish that I liked seltzer.

I really love Dr Pepper so at least I'm not drinking that. Otherwise for me it's tea or Ice flavored water.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter