Have you read the book: Wheat belly : lose the wheat, lose the weight...?

So Cornflake, did you read the book. You know, the one that's the subject of this thread?

What about Ezekiel Bread? I have been buying the Low Sodium variety and I think it is the healthiest bread I have been able to find.

Because the general population, especially in this country at this point, does not generally have the capacity to deal with knowledge. They don't understand science - that's well proven in poll after poll and test results galore. This is the same as the arguments about labelling irradiated foods. It's fine to say it should be labelled - until you hear some of the people going on about why it should be labelled and it becomes clear they don't understand the most basic bits of science involved and think irradiated meat = x, y, and z that have nothing to do with anything. Then, it sortof becomes clear why companies don't want to get into it.

Your post suggest that GMO = Roundup Ready. That's not the case. For SOME crops, that is the case, as that's how they were modified, but they're not one in the same, or close.

Problem is GMOs aren't tested long term. There is actually no testing required. Monsanto's boy who was head of the FDA when they made up the rules around GMOs made sure of that.

This is how the FDA process works: Monstanto brings a new GMO crop to the FDA. The FDA asks questions. Monsanto is not required to answer them. Approved.

And these companies (Monsanto, Dow, etc.) put pressure on universities to make sure no researchers do any independant studies on GMOs. If they do, they try to discredit them.

Problem is GMOs aren't tested long term. There is actually no testing required. Monsanto's boy who was head of the FDA when they made up the rules around GMOs made sure of that.

This is how the FDA process works: Monstanto brings a new GMO crop to the FDA. The FDA asks questions. Monsanto is not required to answer them. Approved.

And these companies (Monsanto, Dow, etc.) put pressure on universities to make sure no researchers do any independant studies on GMOs. If they do, they try to discredit them.

Don't start posting facts! Apparently the general population is too stupid to make decisions once armed with information. :rolleyes2

Ezekiel bread is probably the best of the bunch. But if you have gluten sensitivity it's still a no go. And it does contain soy.

Don't start posting facts! Apparently the general population is too stupid to make decisions once armed with information. :rolleyes2

Well, in fairness, this information is readily available to the general public and the vast majority will still argue "everything in moderation." You can draw your own conclusions with that.

LisaR said:
You're right. I didn't realize you were referring to weight only. My bad.

"Human history" is an awfully long time. What countries/people are you referring to that ate so many refined carbs and did well?

The centenarians that have been studied over time did eat plenty of white rice but they didn't have Ritz crackers, Wonder Bread, Oreos, and donuts lining their counters and cupboards.

I'm not sure there is a study that shows a culture/country/people who have survived on refined carbs and done well. I think the ones that overindulge the most on these products are Americans and we can see that we aren't doing so well.

There is a big difference between the way ancient cultures cooked/ate and their reliance on refined carbs compared to our generation. I agree white rice was a staple for many that have lived long and prospered. I'm sure some even used white flour as a staple. But you can't begin to compare how some ancient cultures ate to the standard American diet.

Well, there are a lot of variables at play here, such as wealth, geography and changing culture, but generally speaking here are a few examples:

China and many other East Asian countries enjoy white rice as you say and have done for a long time.
The domestication of grains was a major leap forwards in Mesopotamia and other regions, resulting in a shift in diets. The fact that tooth decay begins around this time shows an increase in carb intakes for example.
The Roman Empire was virtually run off bread. Bread ovens were in almost every town, they had a corn dole, loved oatmeal etc etc. not everyone could afford the best treats like dormouse and venison.

More recently, many east European nations such as Montenegro enjoy large quantities of bread, Central Europe eats croissants, baguettes, stotties, bloomers, pastries, tarts, tortes, cakes, and the British isles have long relied upon wheat imports, potato crops (ESP. In Ireland) and various other grains. Italy eats huge quantities of pizza and pasta, not always made from whole meal flour, and those that are are cut with white blanched flour. Mexico eats tortillas and much of South America forms of potato and rice.

Admittedly this might not be as bad as those carbs further refined and added too. However, highly refined white bread and other sources of refined carbs have been present in much of Europe most notably France and Germany as well as the UK, for decades now. The UK has major obesity issues, France less so. White rice is preferred to brown across much of the world, but many countries do not share the same problems as the US, though admittedly they do have problems. Maybe they are a problem, but I would argue they are a far less important one than portion sizes, physical activity levels and the modern way of life in general. JMO. If you get I'll from eating it, fine, but don't assume you need to give it up all together. If you can fine, otherwise it might not be as bad as you fear. See for yourself. I reduced carb intake for a bit, it didn't really help so much as a low fat reduced calorie diet did.

(That doesn't include GM crops, only anti carb views. I remain wary of GM crops, but I'm open to further research into them)

I agree with you, Squidgee. I don't think everyone has secret gluten intolerance issues and needs to be on a Gf, low carb diet. We all come from different gene pools. Apparently, there are people that feel great on vegetarian diets and low fat diets. I know I'm not in that category.

I do believe that if you have issues with inflammation i.e. diabetes 2, autoimmune disease, arthritis, heart disease, you should consider it. Oh, and the infamous IBS. I'm probably forgetting a couple of diseases, but you get the point.

As I said, my DH isn't in bad health and he can tolerate stuff I can't. But even he feels better without the grains.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts