Have you gotten a free cabin upgrade?

We booked a 7A GTY and were upgraded to a 5B. This was not a discounted rate (IGT/OGT/VGT) but a "guaranteed" (GTY) room.

Same here. Had booked a specific inside cabin (cat 10A) while on the Wonder last year for the Dream this August. (They tend to not change your room when you have booked a specific cabin number.) DW and I decided to upgrade to a 7A. Cabin number went to GTY. Couple of weeks later the cabin number came out and it is a 5B.
Also cabin was upgraded on the first Hawaii cruise last year as well.

On our first cruise we booked a cat 12 (GTY) and were upgraded for free to a cat 9 :cool1:. The second cruise we booked a coveted SPH cabin and kept that cabin :thumbsup2. The third cruise we booked 2 connecting cat 11C (GTY) cabins and were upgraded for free to a cat 9B :cool1:. We have two connecting cat 11C cabins booked for our Fanatsy cruise next May. We have actual cabin assignments, so I don't know what our odds are for a free upgrade :confused3. We are cruising with a group of DIS friends, so unless we are all upgraded, I want to stay on deck 2 with everyone else :grouphug:.

We have always booked specific rooms. It doesn't decrease your chance of being upgraded. Overall, it is a rare occurrence especially if the cruise has sold well.

1st cruise in 2005 we booked Cat 12 and ended up with a nice Cat 11 on deck 7 aft.

The only other cruise we didn't pick our stateroom and put a 'Do not upgrade or change room request' was booked Cat 11C GTY. We were 'upgraded' to an awful, noisy Cat 9C on deck 2. Never again. Just because a room is in a higher category doesn't make it an upgrade IMHO.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

On our only cruise thus far we were upgraded from category 12 to a Navigator's Verandah. We were such newbies... We'd done no research, etc., but we were so excited after we'd picked up our documents from the TA. :)

We are sailing 9/1 - originally had two Cat 9D GTY rooms, then paid $100 extra per room and upgraded ourselves to a Cat 7 GTY. Just found out this week BOTH rooms were upgraded to a Cat 5 ADJOINING rooms!!!!! So happy!!!!

Just because a room is in a higher category doesn't make it an upgrade IMHO.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

I definitely agree with that statement, and you have to watch Disney on it as well because they try this a lot I think. They have tried it on us twice, but I had no problems getting them to switch us back to the stateroom that we had picked specifically. If you get a "so called" upgrade in advance of the cruise, always do a little research on the old interweb to see if what you got is actually better than what you had.

We have only had the mini-upgrades too. Twice 11C to 11A, once 8D to 8C. Twice same category as we booked.

In 13 cruises we got 1 upgrade from a 5E to a 4C. I happened right around our FPDD. We LOVED the cabin and they sure knew what they were doing cuz we booked a cat 4 for the next cruise. :lmao:

Ok, we booked a navigator's verandah room and will be happy with it I am sure! But, it sure would be nice to get a verandah! We have heard that discounted upgrades are more common than free. We'll see!

We just returned from a cruise on the Dream. We loved our navigator's verandah. The small obstruction has no big deal at all.

When we sailed on the Dream when it was about 3 weeks old, we were upgraded before we got our cruise docs. We booked an oceanview but were upgraded to a navigators verandah. Our friends were too. It wasn't a full sailing.

We did upgrade once at the port. A whopping $200 to go from an oceanview to navigators verandah for a week for 3 ppl.

For those of you that already know about your upgrades for September, which cruise are you on? We are on the Wonder Sept 28. Does this mean we should find out soon?

We got an upgrade at check-in, but it was years and years ago, around 2002. We had booked an inside stateroom, and were given one of the Deck 5 "secret porthole cabins" without any additional charge. We didn't know it until we opened the door to a wonderful surprise of natural light. I don't know if that really counts as an upgrade, but we were delighted with it.

We just returned from a cruise on the Dream. We loved our navigator's verandah. The small obstruction has no big deal at all.

Yes, we have heard good things about the NV, so even with no upgrade, I am sure we will be happy.

No, not yet. We've been on two and gotten exactly what we paid for. Three more on the docket though...

For those of you that already know about your upgrades for September, which cruise are you on? We are on the Wonder Sept 28. Does this mean we should find out soon?

When we got our Apr 2012 upgrade, we knew before final payment due date & luggage tags were sent out with the upgraded cabin #.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!