Have you ever witnessed anything on an airplane?

The last time we flew DH commented on that. There we are, standing in line waiting to board with out carry ons (which were the size of the actual carry on pieces that come with luggage sets so really about the size of a smallish tote bag) and it seemed like every other person in front of us had the smaller wheeled suitcase size that somehow still fits carry on regulations. They were begging people to gate check them because there wasn't enough space in the overhead bins for all of them. They finally just told everyone to plan to put any and all carry ons under the seat in front of us because all the space in the overhead bins were full of those roller bags.

It wouldn't surprise me that airlines either reduce the size of allowable carry ons or start charging for the larger pieces. It really is getting ridiculous. Of course, if they wouldn't charge such high prices for checking bags I bet few people would carry on the larger bags in the first place.

Most of them HAVE reduced the size allowed, it's just that the domestic flight crews don't enforce it equally. They do enforce it in Europe- I've seen it happen. I don't have all that much sympathy for people who want to save the $25. Either pay extra so it's included in your ticket, check it or pack lighter. I check it on long layovers, whatever size it is. Because I and many other people have stuff that we CAN'T check. The airline won't let you check batteries, for instance, and it won't be held liable for expensive/breakable items. The only time I really don't like checking a bag is when I think it's pretty likely the flight will be delayed or cancelled.

I think the main problem is that people pack too much. On my last flight to Orlando I saw a family of 5, and even the toddlers had wheeled hardside carryon luggage. I mean, it was cute, but it was also completely unnecessary.

The only real (meaning not going to a relative's house)vacation that my parent's and I went on:
My mom was a terrible flyer, but the most memorable was of her as we were about to land back home (we left Florida early to beat Hurricane Andrew), my mom starts screaming the plane is leaking oil from an overhead compartment, turned out to be a guy's hair dye. That was her last flight.

Most of them HAVE reduced the size allowed, it's just that the domestic flight crews don't enforce it equally. They do enforce it in Europe- I've seen it happen. I don't have all that much sympathy for people who want to save the $25. Either pay extra so it's included in your ticket, check it or pack lighter. I check it on long layovers, whatever size it is. Because I and many other people have stuff that we CAN'T check. The airline won't let you check batteries, for instance, and it won't be held liable for expensive/breakable items. The only time I really don't like checking a bag is when I think it's pretty likely the flight will be delayed or cancelled.

I think the main problem is that people pack too much. On my last flight to Orlando I saw a family of 5, and even the toddlers had wheeled hardside carryon luggage. I mean, it was cute, but it was also completely unnecessary.

You're getting this kind of stuff because most airlines are looking at bag fees to make money. They still allow one carryon size piece included with the ticket, so of course people are going to try and maximize what they can get in there.

I remember the last time I flew on one of the legacy carries when they had two included pieces included in the fare. I had a bunch of stuff I bought on the trip - just snacks, drinks, etc. It was also right around the time the liquid bomb scare started, so no more larger liquid bottles were allowed as carry on. I looked up American's included baggage and saw they allowed two pieces for free. I just bought a corrugated cardboard box and tape for $2.50 and put all this stuff in there - bottled water, Dr Pepper, boxed cereal, an empty mini cooler, etc. The irony was that I got a message from the TSA that they had opened the box and inspected it. It was just a preprinted standard note, but I'm thinking someone might have found it unusual.

Yeah, I've had a few doozies. The ones that stick out the most are just the plain crazy people. Flying from Atlanta to Florida, we left the gate on time and then were just sitting on the tarmac. Flight attendants keep getting up and walking to a row a few behind us, which is not supposed to happen. We finally start moving again, but then my boyfriend notes we're traveling in a circle. Then we stop again. The captain finally gets on the PA and super irritatedly tells everyone that someone on the plane complained to the FAs that she thought the plane was making a "funny noise." She wouldn't listen when they said everything is fine and the plane was checked pre-flight per usual, so she called the airport, who ordered the plane grounded and sent out a maintenance crew, who obviously found nothing wrong. We finally took off and the pilot announced the FAs would remain seated the whole time and they would not be offering any food or beverage service. Pretty much everyone stared daggers at the woman for the rest of the flight. Not sure if she had some sort of weird attention issue or what, but it was obvious the pilot didn't want the FAs to have to deal with her anymore.

Another crazy lady on a New York to FL flight was just screaming and cursing at the top of her lungs complaining about the faint gas smell once we landed, claiming the airline was trying to kill us all.

Two other nurses and I helped a man who had gone into cardiac arrest once. He came out of the restroom and collapsed. We got him back, the plane emergency landed, they took him to off the plane and we went on our way.

That's about the most excitement I've ever seen.

You're getting this kind of stuff because most airlines are looking at bag fees to make money. They still allow one carryon size piece included with the ticket, so of course people are going to try and maximize what they can get in there.

I remember the last time I flew on one of the legacy carries when they had two included pieces included in the fare. I had a bunch of stuff I bought on the trip - just snacks, drinks, etc. It was also right around the time the liquid bomb scare started, so no more larger liquid bottles were allowed as carry on. I looked up American's included baggage and saw they allowed two pieces for free. I just bought a corrugated cardboard box and tape for $2.50 and put all this stuff in there - bottled water, Dr Pepper, boxed cereal, an empty mini cooler, etc. The irony was that I got a message from the TSA that they had opened the box and inspected it. It was just a preprinted standard note, but I'm thinking someone might have found it unusual.

Oh I get it's a money grab. But you can still choose to pack less. When a weeks worth of clothing for me fits in a crushable backpack that was smaller than the toddler's wheeled bag, I really have got to wonder what the kid is packing. I'm not petite.

I'm sure it's something like toys and books, though. Ereaders are the best invention ever- they've brought the weight of my luggage down quite a bit lol.

I really think people pack too much in general. I was sitting next to an American family on a German train who had all matching sports duffles that were larger and heavier than my suitcase. I went for 35 days, they went for 5. And it wasn't ski gear, lol, because I asked. It was just all the clothing and shoes they thought they'd need! They couldn't figure out where to stow it so their idea was to hold it on their laps and tray tables until I took pity on them and showed them how to slide it between the seats. Everyone else was too angry that they'd held up boarding to help them out.

Yeah. Nothing like being told your gonna fly with a damaged engine. I was very glad for the clarification because I was truly thinking of getting off.

Omg! I forgot about a flight from Dublin to philly were we had to fly up and along the coastline because of some kind of engine issue. They told us the flight would be longer because of this, so my ex husband and I decided to make the free booze worth it. Thankfully, we're both soft spoken

My brother in law has an interesting in-flight story. He got stuck in a middle seat and it turned out that he was in between a husband and wife. They were both very sturdy and he is a small guy so he didn't think that it was too weird. Until they started sharing a salad....across his lap. It wasn't like he ate half and then passed it over for her to finish. They were alternating bites! This went on far a long time until BIL asked for a bite. LOL. Either they realized how rude they were being or he creeped them out and they quit eating over him.

Oh I get it's a money grab. But you can still choose to pack less. When a weeks worth of clothing for me fits in a crushable backpack that was smaller than the toddler's wheeled bag, I really have got to wonder what the kid is packing. I'm not petite.

I'm sure it's something like toys and books, though. Ereaders are the best invention ever- they've brought the weight of my luggage down quite a bit lol.

I really think people pack too much in general. I was sitting next to an American family on a German train who had all matching sports duffles that were larger and heavier than my suitcase. I went for 35 days, they went for 5. And it wasn't ski gear, lol, because I asked. It was just all the clothing and shoes they thought they'd need! They couldn't figure out where to stow it so their idea was to hold it on their laps and tray tables until I took pity on them and showed them how to slide it between the seats. Everyone else was too angry that they'd held up boarding to help them out.
my kids packed their favorite stuffed animals, blankies and good night books. As well as a change of clothing. It really doesn't matter what they pack, its part of the price they paid for their ticket.

I'm shocked you can fit a week worth of clothes in a backpack! I can maybe get 3 days and I'm an average lady who doesn't pack extra shoes. I can get away for maybe 5 days on an actual carry on but that is pushing it.

my kids packed their favorite stuffed animals, blankies and good night books. As well as a change of clothing. It really doesn't matter what they pack, its part of the price they paid for their ticket.

Sure, but quite a few people go overboard. I go a little bit over the size limits because I realize that they'll probably let it slide or at worst will ask for a gate checkin to avoid any confrontation. However, there are the cases where someone went way overboard and are affecting other passengers as a result.

I'm shocked you can fit a week worth of clothes in a backpack! I can maybe get 3 days and I'm an average lady who doesn't pack extra shoes. I can get away for maybe 5 days on an actual carry on but that is pushing it.

There are light packing techniques. One thing is to pack as much synthetics as possible. There are nylon or polyester "travel pants" where maybe 4 pair can fit in the same volume as one pair of jeans. The other thing is that these also dry quickly. I remember a week in Florida where I'd simply wash my T-shirt in the sink at my hotel and wring it out. It would be dry by the morning. Try that with cotton.

There are light packing techniques. One thing is to pack as much synthetics as possible. There are polyester "travel pants" where maybe 4 pair can fit in the same volume as one pair of jeans.

Yeah I'm not buying a whole new wardrobe just for travel. Great if it works for someone else but seems silly to buy a specific set of traveling clothes. Also polyester is a big nope for me. I don't wear it normally I'm not going to wear it on vacation.

Sure, but quite a few people go overboard. I go a little bit over the size limits because I realize that they'll probably let it slide or at worst will ask for a gate checkin to avoid any confrontation. However, there are the cases where someone went way overboard and are affecting other passengers as a result.
But that does not have to do with the age of the traveler. Your previous post complained of toddler size luggage. My kids luggage is smaller than the allowable size for a carryon. The same can't be said for your bag which you admit is over the size limit. If everyone is just a bit over the size limit, it adds up. I would think that would be ruder than someone, no matter their age, with a ticket utilizing their luggage allowance.

Yeah I'm not buying a whole new wardrobe just for travel. Great if it works for someone else but seems silly to buy a specific set of traveling clothes. Also polyester is a big nope for me. I don't wear it normally I'm not going to wear it on vacation.

Well - the basics is that often they're also considered "hiking pants". I like taking these clothes on vacation as they're lighter and dry quickly. These are what I would wear hiking since they keep me drier when I'm sweating. I've got a closet full of "performance polyester" T-shirts from Under Armour, Nike, and TNF.

This one is kind of funny in retrospect--

Imagine you are on an airplane waiting to taxi out. It is taking more time than usual, so the pilot comes on to explain something like "We are waiting for clearance to fly as there is a small problem with one of the engines". Here is me :scared1: I saw many people flagging down the FAs to talk to them, apparently sharing my same fears. Because after not too long the pilot comes back on and states "Apparently I worded that poorly--there is a small ding in the casing of the engine. It doesn't affect flight, but we need to be ok'd to fly with it".

Yeah. Nothing like being told your gonna fly with a damaged engine. I was very glad for the clarification because I was truly thinking of getting off.

On a flight from Philadelphia to Denver, the pilot came on the PA and announced that we would be diverting to Omaha due to slight mechanical problem. Nothing to worry about, but FAA regulations required it to be addressed immediately; it couldn't wait until Denver.

We had to get off the plane, and whatever the problem was took about an hour to fix. One woman was hesitant to reboard and had to be convinced by her husband and the gate agent that the plane was safe.

Sports artificial fabric breathes unlike polyester. Mine isn't travel specific actually- it's stuff I wear pretty frequently at home because hang and dry saves money and time. I also don't buy often stuff that involves ironing because I HATE ironing.

Mostly I just roll and organize really well, though. It's all in how you pack. Backpacks, for example, are larger in the bottom than at the top- so rolled pants go in first, followed by shirts and dresses, and then you can cram underwear and and socks in the spaces. Toiletries go in an airline bag with my glasses and are tucked into the flap pocket.

Admittedly, you can pack a lot lighter for Florida 9 months of the year than you can for Chicago or Boston in January. I can fit multiple tshirts in for Florida. In winter it's like...will I get more sick of wearing the orange sweater or the black sweater? But I've figured out that multiple scarves and hats go a long way to making my girly side happy and don't take much room.:rotfl2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter