Have you ever NOT spent money at Disney (Inspired by TNKBELL).

Lisa loves Pooh

DIS Veteran
Joined
Apr 18, 2004
For a day trip or a vacation...have you ever been able to not spend a dime on WDW property (with the excepting of transportation costs, ticket media, and/or accomodations).

We have with careful planning done it for a day trip.

We usually like staying on property---so by default haven't done that on vacation.

You?

Well...I goofed and wanted a polll....so I will post a new thread with one.
 

imsayin

DIS Veteran
Joined
May 27, 2004
I haven't done it at Disney, but we do it at Great America all the time. We have APs and it is easy to go to our car for a picnic. I could see doing it at Disney if I was local.
 

MrsPete

DIS Veteran
Joined
Feb 24, 2002
Lisa loves Pooh said:
For a day trip or a vacation...have you ever been able to not spend a dime on WDW property (with the excepting of transportation costs, ticket media, and/or accomodations).

Food, no. We won't bother bringing food into the parks -- we enjoy having lunch at Disney's unique restaurants.

Everything else, yes. We usually do not buy souveniers, pictures, etc. These things do not increase the fun of the vacation for us, and they are quickly forgotten once we're home; in fact, they usually become yard sale fodder next year.

Since we don't live in Florida, of course we have to pay for our hotel, our gas to drive . . . but I don't think that was your question -- I think you were talking about incidentals inside the park.
 

C.Ann

<font color=green>We'll remember when...<br><font
Joined
May 13, 2001
Yes - the day my sister and I spent in Epcot.. She bought me lunch and bought my coffee all day, while I paid for her ticket to the parks..

She - on the other hand - was buying $15 mugs and $40 trinkets like she was at the world's largest garage sale.. LOL :rotfl: She was just SOOO excited to be there - and to be there with me.. She hadn't been to WDW since it was ONLY the Magic Kingdom!! :earseek:

Come to think of it, I spent 1 evening and 4 days in the parks on that trip and the ONLY things I bought were a Dole Whip; lunch at the Electric Umbrella; and a few cups of coffee.. I brought some snacks with me from my room that I ate on the buses going to and fro - or sitting on a bench waiting for the buses - and that filled me up nicely.. :flower:
 

Lisa loves Pooh

DIS Veteran
Joined
Apr 18, 2004
The point was b/c some don't think it is possible. So I was asking. We live relatively local--so it is possible. I'm not suggesting starving in the parks, though ;)

Words largest garage sale--TOO FUNNY....isn't that where some of those souvies end up anyway LOL!

C. Ann--can your sister take me to Disney? ;)
 

C.Ann

<font color=green>We'll remember when...<br><font
Joined
May 13, 2001
Lisa loves Pooh said:
Words largest garage sale--TOO FUNNY....isn't that where some of those souvies end up anyway LOL!

C. Ann--can your sister take me to Disney? ;)
-------------------

To tell you the truth, I was TOTALLY shocked!!! My sister is normally SOOO frugal.. And she wasn't even buying the stuff for herself - she was buying it for other people..

It was almost frightening to see her losing control like that.. The only explanation I can come up with is that she was totally "intoxicated" on the Disney "magic".. ;) I swear - if they gave her a breathalyzer it would have registered about 108.5.... LOL :rotfl: :rotfl:
 

Barbmouse63

<font color=navy>Thanks for your support!! I have
Joined
Jun 5, 2004
Not me.....no way! We do not take food in so we buy lunch usually and sometimes dinner. I am a sucker for at least one picture!! :rotfl2:
 

Jodi3530

Mouseketeer
Joined
Feb 16, 2004
I did :rotfl: We (Dh and I) had a conference in Jacksonville FL in dec of 2001 and we drove down planning to spend the night along the way well at about 9:00 while driving we decided that we should drive straight through 27 hours worth and spend the day at disney instead of driving :rotfl:
We had only been to Magic Kingdom once before this and it was a nightmare lets just say got our money back, free beach towel, tee shirt and a meal. And never seen anything that day. So we decided to give Magic Kingdom another go (6 years later) We arrived in Orlando at about 5:00 and went to Disney Quest :crazy: No sleep and just drove 27 hours lets just say by 9:00 we had to go back to the hotel on international drive paying $30 a night to stay for the night. Pick our hotel by being too tired to care. Then the next day went to MK and paid to get in and bought 1 soda the whole day. We went to our car midday and had sandwiches and salad I had packed in a cooler and spent some time sitting before heading back to the park. We still seen about everything in MK for attractions and some we went twice!!

So we spent a couple of bucks on something to drink and 2 one day tickets. Was it magical You bet it was. It was also the only park I have ever been in and :goodvibes I was so excited just to be there! We plan on going back in a year and half but this time spend the week!! Would I do it again. Any day of the week I would. Eating sandwiches in MK parking lot or at home not a hard choice for me!! :rotfl: Sorry I forgot I had to buy a pair of sunglasses too!!! They were $15
 

skiwee1

DIS Veteran
Joined
Sep 1, 2000
What's the point? I use my vacations to WDW to furnish my t-shirt addiction. I must buy 10 different Disney t's each trip. We also eat all meals on property and then there are the other souveniers. No way!
 

Lisa loves Pooh

DIS Veteran
Joined
Apr 18, 2004
skiwee1 said:
What's the point? I use my vacations to WDW to furnish my t-shirt addiction. I must buy 10 different Disney t's each trip. We also eat all meals on property and then there are the other souveniers. No way!

The point is it is possible. We've done this on day trips--but never on vacations. But other people do and I was just curious.
 

skiwee1

DIS Veteran
Joined
Sep 1, 2000
Lisa loves Pooh said:
The point is it is possible. We've done this on day trips--but never on vacations. But other people do and I was just curious.



I'm sure it's possible. I'm just saying who would WANT to. I know I wouldn't.
 

Lisa loves Pooh

DIS Veteran
Joined
Apr 18, 2004
skiwee1 said:
I'm sure it's possible. I'm just saying who would WANT to. I know I wouldn't.


I did have occasion where I wanted to bop my hubby on the head with the pizza I did decide to buy.

Our non-spending trips happened more when our kids were a little younger. I admit to being persnickety about what they eat--so I brought along their own snacks and food. It wasn't necessarily to save money each and every time.

We just go often enough that souvenirs aren't a necessity each time.

I was thinking on TNK's thread how strange that people were shocked that the family (if they spent their daily allowance) could possibly eat in the park for so little money. I was kind of shocked at how she could do it myself. Then I remembered that we have gone on occasion just for the morning or whatever--and there was no real necessity to buy something in the park. Now mind you--we have been known to hit Pizzaria Uno or Bennigan's or Chick Fil A on the way home.

With my new DDE card though--I see myself plotting more sit downs--even if we are only going over for a few hours. :smooth:
 

skiwee1

DIS Veteran
Joined
Sep 1, 2000
Lisa loves Pooh said:
I did have occasion where I wanted to bop my hubby on the head with the pizza I did decide to buy.

Our non-spending trips happened more when our kids were a little younger. I admit to being persnickety about what they eat--so I brought along their own snacks and food. It wasn't necessarily to save money each and every time.

We just go often enough that souvenirs aren't a necessity each time.

I was thinking on TNK's thread how strange that people were shocked that the family (if they spent their daily allowance) could possibly eat in the park for so little money. I was kind of shocked at how she could do it myself. Then I remembered that we have gone on occasion just for the morning or whatever--and there was no real necessity to buy something in the park. Now mind you--we have been known to hit Pizzaria Uno or Bennigan's or Chick Fil A on the way home.

With my new DDE card though--I see myself plotting more sit downs--even if we are only going over for a few hours. :smooth:

I just cannot control my sounvenier purchases! We stay onsite around 30 days a year and I still buy stuff like I'm never going to go to WDW again! I LOVE it ALL! Pathetic I know. I am going to buy the DDE card, which I wasn't before, after seeing the savings. We always do at least one sit down a day and am making 3 trips with it this time so it will definitely be worth it. I figure with all the money I Save with the DDE means more $$$ for souveniers! LOL!
 

Lisa loves Pooh

DIS Veteran
Joined
Apr 18, 2004
skiwee1 said:
I just cannot control my sounvenier purchases! We stay onsite around 30 days a year and I still buy stuff like I'm never going to go to WDW again! I LOVE it ALL! Pathetic I know. I am going to buy the DDE card, which I wasn't before, after seeing the savings. We always do at least one sit down a day and am making 3 trips with it this time so it will definitely be worth it. I figure with all the money I Save with the DDE means more $$$ for souveniers! LOL!

Don't forget--half-off PI tix to for you and a guest. That paid our DDE card when we went :).
 

Danemom

<font color=blue>My trouble is that I don't rememb
Joined
May 6, 2003
Sure we've done it! With vouchers for food, we've gone and not spent any cash in the parks. We hope to do the same this trip since we have the dining plan. I LOVE having the whole trip paid for before we go!
We're not big on souveniers - I always buy things for the kids ahead at Deal$ or Dollar Tree. One of those small surprises everyday and a few Disney Dollars to spend on the last day and my kids are happy!
 

PatsGirl

<font color=teal>Kids will write the darndest thin
Joined
Apr 22, 2005
If you don't count food, we've done it MOST times. As my financial circumstances improve, my buying habits change but for many years we did not buy any souveniers. It is not really necessary as the parks themselves are so magical. Even on our cruise, I left a special "gift" from MM under their pillows instead of allowing purchases each day. I think it probably cost me less than $5/day for 2 kids but... see now they think that a gift a day is something to expect and as they get older (pickier?) it almost saves $$ to let them pick out ONE souvenier each trip because key chains and coloring books from the dollar store just aren't cutting it anymore, lol :rotfl:
 

EthansMom

<font color=red>spare yourself from asking me to d
Joined
Jul 13, 2003
We like to eat and enjoy dining at the WDW sit-down restaurants.

But we just don't set foot in the stores inside the parks...except the ones you have to go through to leave certain rides. Last trip, we spent less than $20 for one toy for DS3.5 in MGM and $25 for a stuffed Eyeore for DD1 at World of Disney.

So...no spending? :rotfl2:

But I crack up when I see someone list their budget here and they've got the MYW Package with Dining and plan to take an extra $2000 for spending money for a family of 4 for one week of vacation. :rotfl:
 

EsmeraldaX

DIS Veteran
Joined
Aug 7, 2003
No. I'm sure it can be done, but since part of the fun is picking up a new antenna topper, eating in one of my favorite places or getting a Mickey bar, it wouldn't be much fun.
 









DISNEY DINING PROMO CARD OFFER!

The Disney Dining Promo Card is a great way for you to “Stay, Play, and Dine” at Walt Disney World this summer. This offer is available for arrivals from June 25 to September 14, 2023.

Click Here for a No-Obligation Quote!




Top