Have YOU ever had or witnessed a rude incident in the park? Tell me about it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

CampbellzSoup

Son. Husband. Father.
I'm just wondering what people fight or can become rude about in the happiest place on earth...it's really troubling to see so many guests stories I was just wondering what I should be on the look out for or what can be avoided?

bsiev1977

Mouseketeer
I'm just wondering what people fight or can become rude about in the happiest place on earth...it's really troubling to see so many guests stories I was just wondering what I should be on the look out for or what can be avoided?

There's nothing that can really be avoided, I don't think. Some people just don't have any level of common courtesy/decency. The scream at their families, talk down to or bully employees, cut in lines, take flash photos during rides, etc.

People like that, all they care about are themselves. There's really nothing you can do to avoid them.

jm106

DIS Veteran
We arrived for a prepark ADR at crystal palace. When CM directed us to go around the group of rope droppers to a CM at entrance to get in, we did so explaining to anyone we could why we were going past(for an dining not to get ahead for the park opening.)
As we neared the entrance, a woman started cursing and saying things to us then to her kids as to how they would have longer wait times for A&E over the rude people... I was trying to explain we were trying to reach the CM who stood a few feet away bc we had a reservation for CP. One lady said yea right, we all do.
At that point, no one would allow us to pass and couldn't get CM attention. We then had to just wait until park opened and the trampling(I mean entering) subsided. We were late to the ADR after it all. Moral of the story, arrive really early if you have an ADR anytime near rope drop. I assumed like when we went to AK, we could walk to a cast member to the side and get directed around it to the restaurant. I hadnt factored how early people would be there.

We also saw a couple fighting on the ferry from MK. He cursed at her about how she was acting and she hit in across the face. I took my family and moved to another spot.

We have had a few times we saw or had someone be rude but I brush it off most of the time as I dont want to continue the interaction and surely dont want my kids subjected to cursing and aggression over any of it.

Missytara

I'm all ears!
If you expect a perfect trip, it will not happen. You will witness things daily that are rude and disconcerting; some you can tolerate and overlook, some you cannot.

I have witnessed a few events where security miraculously appeared and those involved in the incident instantly disappeared, but those where the perception is that the event was escalating to the point that others could ultimately get hurt.

Disney is a place full of people from vastly different backgrounds, cultures, countries, etc. that each have a level that they live or don't live by; you cannot avoid it unless you just stay home or vacation elsewhere.

jtowntoflorida

Looking Like I Can't Really Afford To Go To Disney
I've witnessed plenty of rude behavior, but I can only recall being a target once. Back in the FP runner days, I was "excusing" myself past a slow-moving group of people while I tried to catch up to my party. A little girl stepped into my path right as I was passing by them, so I bumped into her. Her mom yelled at me and said, "YOU COULD HAVE SAID EXCUSE ME." And I said, "I did, but I don't think she heard me." The mom then turned to her daughter and started SCREAMING at her to pay attention, stay out of people's ways, etc. I felt so bad for her. I mean, it's a crowded place, people are going to run into each other, especially in narrow places (this was in Frontierland back by Splash and BMTRR, where it's always so congested).

MakiraMarlena

It's a big black fish to you
A mother at a show having her two teen/preteen sons push in front of people shorter than they were because "you are kids and kids come first. Just push in there." Nor did she teach them to say "excuse me" as they made their way to the front, just to push people aside.

CampbellzSoup

Son. Husband. Father.
Ugh thanks for the reports my god I don't understand we are at Disney why not show some respect and curtesy to people as well

OZMom

DIS Veteran
Only a few, and most were not an issue, just an annoyance. However, we made the mistake of trying to get through the Osborne lights one night and it was crazy crowded. People would just stop where they were to take pictures or video, which was not a big deal, until someone with their phone pushed in between us. DS5 let go of my hand and got separated. The crowd pushed him one way and me the other. Not a single person stopped to help him even though he was screaming for us. It's like everyone was oblivious and just kept moving him out of their way. I finally had to start physically pushing people to get through the crowd and get to him.

grimley1968

DIS Veteran
I've seen too many instances of rude guest behavior to recount them all, but one that sticks out for me was a bus ride back to a resort. It was the end of a long day of touring a park and we were on the bus back to our resort. It was quiet and most people were just trying to stay awake long enough for the walk from the bus depot to the rooms. Then one guy made a cell phone call to a business associate. He talked loud enough that I, with very bad hearing, could hear his entire conversation at the complete other end of the bus. The rest of the trip back to the resort was dominated by this guy's conversation, and he continued as we all got off the bus. He was apparently a contractor on a project and was trying to convince a potential subcontractor to make a bid for a piece of the work. He was actually mentioning dollar figures of the value of the subcontract to entice the call's recipient. He was talking so loud that it was impossible to ignore it.

MikeTaylor

Freelance contributor to wdwinfo.com!
On this last trip, we were waiting on our ADR at Crystal Palace (about an hour before Wishes) and a woman without a reservation in front of us started berating the check-in people, saying she wasn't going to wait 70 minutes and being real loud. She stomped off and would harass any CM around the front porch, I guess her thinking was if she continually acted like a child, making a scene, they would eventually accommodate her-which didn't happen.

Moral:
It's one thing to call ahead at an ADR restaurant at the beginning of the day to see if there were any cancellations... but to try and cause a scene to butt your way into the place, it reminded me of the video making the rounds on the internet... a girl in the same situation (no reservation, trying to get in).

A woman accused me of cutting in line. This, i think, was at it's Tough to be a Bug. One of those shows where you wait in a big room and they keep telling you to MOVE UP. Well I moved up. The worst part was the embarrassment from her husband. I hate when men get overly embarrassed when their wives are less than perfect. I felt like telling him to RELAX, she just mumbled to him "They're cutting us." I just mumbled something back like, I'm just making room. Little things like this happen all the time when you go during Spring break. Pack some extra patience.

alvernon90

Two Decade Veteran
If you expect a perfect trip, it will not happen. You will witness things daily that are rude and disconcerting; some you can tolerate and overlook, some you cannot.

It is impossible to avoid rude behavior, and some of the stuff I have read on these boards is astonishing and heartbreaking. You really just cannot believe how much human garbage is out there.

That said, on any given week-long trip to WDW you will see literally tens of thousands of people behaving courteously and appropriately. You just don't notice because they are the background (and the expected behavior). Many other instances of rude behavior are really more about being absorbed in the sensory overload experience and not realizing what is happening around them. I've found that many "rude" behaviors such as blocking doorways are resolved with a simple "excuse me" to alert the person to the problem.

I have found it easier to tolerate the rude behavior when I spend time marveling at how efficient the entire massive operation is and how well all of the people are getting along. But still, with that many people there, encountering jerks is inevitable.

Braden's Momma

Mouseketeer
I once saw a woman tell a man (in front of their kids) that his family was horrible and she wanted a divorce. He called her a ***** and took off with the kids.

Last edited by a moderator:

Aerinha

DIS Veteran
While entering the Nemo ride I had a small boy clip my heels. Wasn't crowded, me, his mom and him were the only people around. No crowd =no reason to walk so close, but things happen so I ignored it. Next thing I know, he is running between me and the wooden plank wall and steps directly on my toes while laughing. Had he been bigger, he might have broken my toes and clearly he thought this was a game. Little snot even ran right in front of me so that I nearly walked on him. No word at all from mom even when I said "ow".

I took two more steps and he walked all the way up the back of my heels. Mom remains mute. Clearly she is waiting for him to injury me or for me to fall on him and injure us both. I work at a school, I know what tone to use, so I asked him to please stop walking on me. Now mom opens her mouth to start shouting at me that I was mean to her brat...er kid. She is in my face and no matter that I point out he had three strikes and that I used a soft voice, the bug up her butt is really that someone corrected her kid for the first time in his life as obviously she doesn't. I walked as fast as I could to a CM ready to have her bounced for harassing me, but when she saw I wasn't backing down she settled for crooning to the kid that it was ok. So now he learned it is fine to injure strangers as mommy will always stand up for his bad behavior

lilia78

Waiting for Mickey
At the end of the evening my husband and I were waiting at the bus lines for the bus back to All Star Movies. Once the bus arrived the bus driver was assisting a lady in a motorized scooter, this lady was having issues getting her scooter loaded and the bus driver was telling her what she should do. She then started yelling and screaming at him that "She had done this before" and "she wasn't a moron", but whatever she was trying to do wasn't working. The family members with her were also feaking out at the driver who was just trying to assist her in loading. Once she got her scooter inside she continued to yell and even started swearing at the driver as he secured her in the bus. It was horrific how she acted towards someone who was trying to help her. Then on the bus she ride she tried to laugh and joke with others riding the bus acting as though we didn't just see her act like a complete imbecile.

LilyWDW

Going to My Happy Place
Ugh thanks for the reports my god I don't understand we are at Disney why not show some respect and curtesy to people as well

Because these people are not polite or respectful in real life.

Because sometimes you catch people at their worst and they would be really embarrassed to see it after the fact.

Because people get stressed out for any number of reasons and snap.

None of that "excuses" the rudeness when it happens, but it does explain them.

Now, some of it you just can't miss because of the situations. But don't go looking for these things to happen. That only means that you will end up seeing every single issue of rudeness. Don't let it spoil your vacation if it does happen. Duck, water, back and all of that.

LilyWDW

Going to My Happy Place
I've seen too many instances of rude guest behavior to recount them all, but one that sticks out for me was a bus ride back to a resort. It was the end of a long day of touring a park and we were on the bus back to our resort. It was quiet and most people were just trying to stay awake long enough for the walk from the bus depot to the rooms. Then one guy made a cell phone call to a business associate. He talked loud enough that I, with very bad hearing, could hear his entire conversation at the complete other end of the bus. The rest of the trip back to the resort was dominated by this guy's conversation, and he continued as we all got off the bus. He was apparently a contractor on a project and was trying to convince a potential subcontractor to make a bid for a piece of the work. He was actually mentioning dollar figures of the value of the subcontract to entice the call's recipient. He was talking so loud that it was impossible to ignore it.

That is what I would have started responding to his conversation. I have done this on public transportation before when a woman was talking about some medical issue and a bunch of other personal stuff really loudly. For this guy I would have been all "Really?! You think the job is worth how much? <Insert company here> must be crazy. I wouldn't bid on that project." and the such.

SeanTomorrow

Gearhead
That is what I would have started responding to his conversation. I have done this on public transportation before when a woman was talking about some medical issue and a bunch of other personal stuff really loudly. For this guy I would have been all "Really?! You think the job is worth how much? <Insert company here> must be crazy. I wouldn't bid on that project." and the such.

Nowadays, it'd be even better to tweet at the relevant company all the details you're hearing. I'm sure they'd be interested to know....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts