Have you ever been sick or injured on vacation? (not Covid)

When my daughter was six she broke her arm and dislocated her elbow in our hotel while on vacation. ER and than transferred to a children’s hospital a few hours away for surgery.
My husband has done the severe sunburn on vacation. Ended up not leaving our rental for several days while he recovered a bit.
About half way through our three week European vacation he got serious bronchitis. We had just gotten to Paris and with a little research had a doctor come to the flat we were renting (within minutes of calling) to treat him. Pretty cool health care- costs us about $130 plus another $20ish for three different meds. He told us if we were citizens it would have been free.

Had a few bad colds on a handful of trips. Made the flights absolutely miserable and left me with clogged ears for over a week!
When I was a kid, I had my fair share of illnesses on vacations. From ear infections, to stomach bugs, to missing the trip entirely because of chicken pox.

Last year dh twisted his ankle really badly while hiking. We ended up going to urgent care and got him a walking boot. I ended up taking the kids hiking on my own the next day.

I don't think I've ever cancelled a trip before, but I've certainly spent a few days cooped up in my hotel room.

I was on vacation in Thailand once when I just totally lost all energy. I don't know where it came from, but I suspect it was something I ate the day or two before. I had diarrhea and I just had a hard time just climbing out of bed. I did end up trying to go on a tour the next day. I felt better, but certainly not great.

Last year we planned a trip after Christmas. It was fine for a while, but by NYE I was feeling somewhat sick with a little bit of nausea. I wasn't coughing or sneezing. We went early in the morning to Disneyland and headed back to our hotel room, had dinner, then back to Disneyland for NYE. I wasn't feeling physically weak, but a little bit out of sorts. But it was OK. Then when we got back to our hotel room I felt really bad and headed right for the sink where I dry heaved. Now I have a strong stomach and I haven't vomited since I was maybe 12. I figured it would be better to more or less take it easy for a day. I bought some Pepto and then went back to a tire store that had replaced by rental car tire. But I was feeling fine by the next day and we headed back to Disneyland before going home.

When I was 12, I went on cruise with my mom and sister in Hawaii, visiting the different islands. We had added on a few days in Oahu to see Waikiki, Pearl Harbor, etc. I had just gotten my ears pierced before the trip, so I wore these tiny stud earrings for the duration. We were messing around in the hotel room and somehow the stud in my right ear had made its way inside my lobe-if that makes sense. My mom had to use her fingers to push it through my ear and out the hole. That was fun!

Second trip to Hawaii- this time with my husband and our two sons. We had made our way down to the beach in Waimea the first day and swam in the ocean for a few hours. I kept telling my husband to put on sunscreen but he wouldn't listen. He ended up with a severe sunburn. He slept on a lawn chair outside for a few nights because that was the only way he could sleep.

Trip back east to visit Cape Cod, Newport, Boston 2017- Checked into our bed and breakfast in Brewster on Cape Cod, no problems. Next day drove down to the end at Provincetown and explored that morning, climbing the monument. I think that's when the problems started. By the afternoon, my husband was not feeling well and he never gets sick. He ends up driving us back, even though I told him I would drive, the hour and half(seemed like eternity) to get back to the inn. All the while moaning and gagging, trying not to get sick-that was a scary drive. He made it just in time to run upstairs to our room and throw up in bathroom, and he stayed there for a few hours. I had to go outside and sit because I can't stand to hear people throw up, it makes me feel nauseous and anxious. I spent the time cancelling all the various reservations I had made. Dinner reservations that night, Cape Cod Playhouse, ferry to Nantucket the next morning, etc. He was better by the following afternoon but I was so scared he had a stomach bug that I didn't eat much, I was too afraid I was next to get sick. We managed to make the most of the day we had left before heading to Newport. I am so bummed that we never made it to Nantucket though, I was really looking forward to it.

A few years ago my daughter and I were on her 8th grade trip to Washington D.C. and New York. Less than 24 hours into the trip my daughter started throwing up and having extreme abdominal pain. After a half day of deteriorating health it was decided she needed to go to the emergency room with a suspected appendicitis. She was admitted to the hospital and the tour continued on without us. It turned out to be an intestinal infection. She was originally in what they told us was the “president’s hospital”, with agents and dogs constantly patrolling to ensure all was secure in the event that the President had a medical emergency. When it was determined that she did not need surgery she was transferred via ambulance to a near-by children’s hospital, which was quite an experience as they sent an entire medical team to transfer us and our luggage. The tour company was great and arraigned a hotel for us when she was released and a new flight home when she could travel. The airline was over booked in the main cabin so we got bumped up to 1st class, the one and only time I have ever been in 1st class. Still, that does not make up for my daughter’s suffering or missing Wicked on Broadway. In addition, we received almost all our money back due to travel insurance. We landed back home 1 hour before the rest of the kids from the tour.

Our family of 4 got the Swine Flu on our 09 Thanksgiving WDW trip. Thankfully we didn't start coming down with it until later in our trip. DS started getting sick on our next to last day, DW and I got sick on our last day and DD started getting it on the way home.

DW and I went to F&W in 2013. She was sick with some type of flu-like illness before we left and we thought she was over it by day 2 of our trip and was no longer contagious. Nope. We shared some F&W food and drink and the next day I got sick.

Question- would you still go out/travel home on plane etc while contagious?
I'm not trying to be judgmental here, just wondering if the pandemic has made/will make a change in that regard.

(For the record, my mom got either food poisoning or a stomach bug years ago the day before flying home from Spain. She got Imodium and traveled home with us - definitely still contagious if it was not food poisoning.
I once got on a long distance flight and found a person in my window seat. He pleaded his case and I was nice enough to let him keep it and sit in his aisle seat although I hate aisle seats. Very luckily though, as I came down with something on the flight and had to use the lavatory multiple times).

Family trip to Paris Several years ago, DH got a bad toothache. Hotel manager helped him find a dentist, who got him right in, took Xrays, prescribed an antibiotic, and we were on our way to Versailles. Dentist felt he would be OK to finish the trip but he should check in with his dentist when we got home. We left very impressed with the French health system, great service and cost was very reasonable.

I got some sort of stomach bug or food poisoning when we were in Rome last year. I felt a little iffy in the morning, but still ate breakfast and went to the Vatican museum with my family. I wound up throwing up in the bathrooms there halfway through. I still powered through the rest of the sightseeing that day (didn't want to risk puking in a cab if I went back to the hotel by myself and didn't want the rest of my family to miss out walking me back). I had a fever and chills that night and threw up massively in the middle of the night. I felt a lot better in the morning, but still had no interest in food until dinner time.

I've picked up a few wretched colds in WDW, too, but didn't let them stop me from going to the parks.

On a Mediterranean cruise back in 2012 and sick bay thought I may of had a bowel blockage and were talking of helicoptering me to Spain. But, they gave me a couple of shots and hours later I cleared out.

Almost forgot. 2000, Got rammed in my left Achilles tendon by a fast trotting mom pushing a stroller at Hollywood Studios. As I was sprawled out on the ground, she never missed a step going around me, but did shout "Sorry" over her shoulder. Since then I've had two surgeries to repair and then replace said tendon and need a cane somedays. I hate strollers in crowds.

Last edited:
Not sure what to do.
This is our first night at pop.. we have been in florida for 2 days. We went to the beach first.
My 13 year old woke up this morning throwing up.
So we are sitting in our room watching tv and his little brother is so sad as we told him we cant go to MK tomorrow... dad will probably take him to the pool in the AM but there is not much to do...
Thank you all for not making me feel so alone...
In case this is needed later where is a good ER or childrens hospital?

I have a daughter with medical records in practically every state we visited during her first 8 years. Mostly allergies (her eyes swelled completely shut at WDW), or bad colds/sinus infections/intestional. Worst was when she fell in a hotel pool bathroom due to standing water on the floor and hit her head hard. By the time I got to her she was seizing, then started talking out of her head. We took her to nearby hospital....concussion. Funny, she was hardly ever sick until we left home.

Not sure what to do.
This is our first night at pop.. we have been in florida for 2 days. We went to the beach first.
My 13 year old woke up this morning throwing up.
So we are sitting in our room watching tv and his little brother is so sad as we told him we cant go to MK tomorrow... dad will probably take him to the pool in the AM but there is not much to do...
Thank you all for not making me feel so alone...
In case this is needed later where is a good ER or childrens hospital?
There used to be a medical practice that did house calls at WDW...that's what we used with daughter's allergies. Check with front desk.

I too got sick in Mexico. I was 15. It took me a few months to get better. I lost 15 pounds by the time I started feeling better (seriously underweight at the time.) My parents got in a big fight because dad was trying to force feed me so I didn't end up in a hospital in Mexico and mom thought he was being too hard on me. Fun stuff. My parents never really fought, but they did then and with 5 of us in a hotel room it was pretty hard to ignore - and I was the cause of it. (I doubt my siblings even remember they fought, but I felt so terrible!)

I also got sick 10 years ago at WDW. The kind of sick (while sharing a hotel room again) that reminded me of that Mexico trip! Three out of the four of us got sick that trip. We took a taxi to a nearby urgent care twice in the 6 days we were gone and one son got diagnosed with an ear infection and the other a throat infection. Amazingly, we all agree it was a pretty good trip otherwise.

When I was a kid, we went to a camp in Colorado where we were above 9,000 feet. We live in St. Louis. I got altitude sickness. They recognized it right away, and sent us (my mom and I) down to a lower elevation. But I missed basically all of the camp stuff. We went a second time, got smething form my doctor for altitude sickness, and didn't have a problem. Went to different area of Colorado a third time at 8,000 feet, and didn't have a problem.

Last edited:
DS9 has gotten sick so many times during vacations that he considered it a success when he started vomiting as our plane started landing instead of during our trip when we went to Costa Rica in January. It was a virus, as it always is. So far, he's had norovirus on the Disney Dream, a fever so high that the flight attendants were throwing ice on him during the flight home and we took him straight to the doctor and vomited in the rental car when we were driving along the California coast. I travel with a thermometer and Children's ibuprofen.

There used to be a medical practice that did house calls at WDW...that's what we used with daughter's allergies. Check with front desk.
Covid 19 so they temporary suspended :( of cource that's everything now days.
This was still a great tip.. thanks

Once we had rotovirus go through us. Oldest child first, then hubby, then 1yo, he ended up in the ER. Get to the airport to go home and I start not feeling well.

When my oldest was 4 she decided it would be fun to lick (yes lick) all the handrails at DW. Last day we spent in the room with her puking only to find out a hurricane is coming so we have to decide stay one more day (potentially more) or drive to FT. Lauderdale with puking child to ride out with family.

Not on vacation but we have a nack for ruining spring break. One year daughter broke her wrist the week before spring break. Another year my son had his appendix out spending 7 days in the hospital.

Oh and there was the puking on the Disney Cruise. I think that one was just motion sickness though as she was fine in the am.

Last edited:
I caught a stomach bug at Disney the night before we were supposed to leave. We called the front desk and told them there was no way we could go anywhere the next day, so they extended our stay by two days. Had to reschedule the airline too. Then we just crashed in the room until we felt better. Thank goodness it worked out that we could stay.
I got violently sick during a DW trip the day before we were to leave. I made my DH still go to O'HANA for our dinner. I stayed in the bathroom throwing up every 15 minutes for 12 hours straight.

I've still yet to go to O'Hana

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter