Have you changed hotels or gone home on race day?

mickeymom629

DIS Veteran
Hi all! DD and I are signed up for the Avengers half and we are thinking about changing hotels on Sunday, the same day as the marathon. (this has been edited to put in the places we are staying; I wasn't able to book GCV until today, so I didn't want to be specific until I had my confirmation!)

DH is going on the trip but not doing the marathon, so he will probably go check-in at the GCV some time while we are racing. I'm going to see if the place we are staying (Desert Palms) has some sort of late check-out (even for a fee) so that DD and I can go back to shower and relax after the marathon.

But I don't think our villa will be ready until after 4.

So, my question is, how do you all "cope" when you are done with the marathon and don't have the rest of the afternoon to relax?

After the PHM in Feb., DD had a bad stomach (nerves, lack of sleep, etc) and my leg was hurting. We couldn't get ourselves to the MK :( and we just brought in dinner and relaxed.

I'm hoping we feel better after the Avengers, and maybe we can get to DL to "stroll" and see the fireworks (sorry, I don't know what the show is called at DL :blush:), but I'm a little worried counting on that.

We could wait until Monday to change, but I wanted to hear any advice you all can give because I think I prefer changing Sunday (it's a cost issue:rolleyes1).

Thanks!

You'll likely be back to the room before normal checkout anyway, to at least shower and relax a bit. Of course, I would have everything packed up as much as possible from the night before.

Do you have the specific hotels you're thinking of? For those of us familiar with Disneyland area hotels and motels it's possible we'll have an idea of how early rooms are sometimes available.

I've done both scenarios.

Dlr - we moved from Californian to offsite after the 10k last year. We took our sweet time checking out (5 minutes to spare) and then had lunch downstairs. We hung out around the pool for an hour or so then walked to our new hotel. Had no issues.

Wdw - we left the morning after the half. Driving up the east coast. Oh my. I will never do that one again. We got out of the car for lunch and couldn't walk. Horrible cramps. Checking out wasn't bad but driving after a race is a permanent no no for us now.

We headed home after the Tink 10K in January. We took Amtrak, which was great. I was able to get up and walk on a regular basis. -- Suzanne

If I was going to change hotels, I would do it the day after the race. Race day will be busy enough without rushing back, especially if you are feeling ill or tired.

Also, not a fan of driving or flying on race day. Again, a lot of rushing around to check out, followed by hours of sitting. Talk about sore legs.

Thanks for the advice!

I have reservations for Desert Palms for Friday and Saturday nights. We will be flying in on Friday from Maryland and I hope to get to the EXPO that day, too.

I couldn't get a reservation at Disney's Grand Californian those 2 nights (at my 7 month window). I just barely squeaked in my reservation this morning for checking in on Sunday (day of the race) and checking out on Friday. Tomorrow morning I could try to change the reservation to Monday-Saturday (I don't have enough points for a 6-night stay in a 2 bedroom). But, I kind of think flying home on Friday might be a little better to avoid the weekend before Thanksgiving travelers :confused3

I am just worried about the time between checking out and checking in to our new room. Do you think the Desert Palms would extend my check-out time on Sunday? I could pay for another night (and not use it) but that kind of defeats the purpose...

If I was going to change hotels, I would do it the day after the race. Race day will be busy enough without rushing back, especially if you are feeling ill or tired.

Also, not a fan of driving or flying on race day. Again, a lot of rushing around to check out, followed by hours of sitting. Talk about sore legs.

I learned this lesson the hard way!

2013 DL 10K: Super easy! Had breakfast at La Brea, took our youngest to the kids' run, and was back at the beach and boogie boarding with my kids all afternoon.

2014 PHM: Based on previous race experiences, thought it would be OK to fly home the evening of the half marathon. Felt fine immediately after the race, but back at the resort, it hit me - I was super tired after several early mornings, full days in the parks with my kids, and running in the humidity after months of training on the treadmill/in the freezing cold. I learned that it would have been nice to eat breakfast and rest at least a little, instead of packing up and checking out right away. As a result, we will not be checking out after anything more than a 10K - just in case!

I am just worried about the time between checking out and checking in to our new room. Do you think the Desert Palms would extend my check-out time on Sunday? I could pay for another night (and not use it) but that kind of defeats the purpose...

Hmmm . . . that would definitely change things for me! While it's ideal to have your room still available to rest, I would absolutely switch from off-site to GCH! Even if your room at GCH is not ready early, you could always spend your afternoon at the pool or spa on check-in day. So if you're not up to walking around DTD or the parks, you have a great spot to relax. Last summer, we rented a cabana at GCH on check-in day and we absolutely loved it!!!

I flew home the evening of the Princess Half this year...wasn't the best plan but I had to be back home that night for my classes the next day.

We were able to get back to the room early enough after the race to shower and rest for a little bit ( I think we got back to the room by 9:30?? and left the room at 11:00 which was the check out time, no late check out at DVC ) we went to Downtown Disney to get lunch and walk a little, then had to catch the Magical Express around 2:30 -3:00 to get to MCO.

My stomach wasn't great :worried:and my feet were SORE!! It was a long day...I wouldn't do it again. But for just changing hotels, I think you will be fine, it's just a few hours you have to kill before you can get into your next hotel and you could hang out at the pool probably and get lunch while you wait.

I flew home the evening of the Princess Half this year...wasn't the best plan but I had to be back home that night for my classes the next day.

We were able to get back to the room early enough after the race to shower and rest for a little bit ( I think we got back to the room by 9:30?? and left the room at 11:00 which was the check out time, no late check out at DVC ) we went to Downtown Disney to get lunch and walk a little, then had to catch the Magical Express around 2:30 -3:00 to get to MCO.

My stomach wasn't great :worried:and my feet were SORE!! It was a long day...I wouldn't do it again. But for just changing hotels, I think you will be fine, it's just a few hours you have to kill before you can get into your next hotel and you could hang out at the pool probably and get lunch while you wait.

I know . . . same here with the stomach issues. I finished the PHM at 7:30am, then stopped by race retreat, then hopped on a bus back to BWI with my family. My stomach started bothering me after a little while back at the resort, and I'd say we had at least 2.5 hours before check-out, but I could have used some time at the pool (instead of racing around Epcot!) that afternoon. So fly home - not so much, but transfer to GCH - yes!

Thanks for the advice!

I would ask the Desert Palms to extend for a few hours and then head over to GCH. You can even have brunch at Storytellers. Have a great time!

Thank you all for your input!

So fly home - not so much, but transfer to GCH - yes!
:) Happy to hear this!

pigletliz
I would ask the Desert Palms to extend for a few hours and then head over to GCH. You can even have brunch at Storytellers. Have a great time!
This is what I would like to do, just in case, but I haven't contacted them to see if it's possible.

Thanks for the advice!

I have reservations for Desert Palms for Friday and Saturday nights. We will be flying in on Friday from Maryland and I hope to get to the EXPO that day, too.

I couldn't get a reservation at Disney's Grand Californian those 2 nights (at my 7 month window). I just barely squeaked in my reservation this morning for checking in on Sunday (day of the race) and checking out on Friday. Tomorrow morning I could try to change the reservation to Monday-Saturday (I don't have enough points for a 6-night stay in a 2 bedroom). But, I kind of think flying home on Friday might be a little better to avoid the weekend before Thanksgiving travelers :confused3

Now that I hear what hotel you're switching to, I'd forgo a late checkout at DP. Which is weird for me to say because the Grand is my least fave hotel onsite, and I'd stay at a variety of offsite places before choosing to stay at the Grand. (though the villas are a bit different, not as gloomy, I noticed on a tour, as their actual rooms)

But you get access to everything (but the room unless you are spectacularly lucky) from the moment of checkin, so your husband could get everything you don't need from the DP, take it to the Grand. You finish your race, walk back to DP, get cleaned up, leave...more stretching out, walk to the Grand. Stash your carryon that you had your race stuff in, head to food, head to more stretching out in California Adventure, head to the jacuzzi.... Or go fall asleep in the lobby LOL.

Now that I hear what hotel you're switching to, I'd forgo a late checkout at DP. Which is weird for me to say because the Grand is my least fave hotel onsite, and I'd stay at a variety of offsite places before choosing to stay at the Grand. (though the villas are a bit different, not as gloomy, I noticed on a tour, as their actual rooms)

But you get access to everything (but the room unless you are spectacularly lucky) from the moment of checkin, so your husband could get everything you don't need from the DP, take it to the Grand. You finish your race, walk back to DP, get cleaned up, leave...more stretching out, walk to the Grand. Stash your carryon that you had your race stuff in, head to food, head to more stretching out in California Adventure, head to the jacuzzi.... Or go fall asleep in the lobby LOL.

I really appreciate your advice! Interesting about the Grand being your least favorite. We would not stay there (or anywhere onsite) if it wasn't for our DVC membership because of the cost. We've stayed there once before (our first trip to DL/DCA) in 2012 and thought the 1 bedroom villa was very nice. I could only get a 2 bedroom when booking today (not really complaining ;)) for the four of us (DH, myself, DD22, DS24 and, maybe, his girlfriend). DS and girlfriend live in/near L.A.

I'm really hoping that DD and feel better this time around. I had hurt myself in training a few weeks before (jogged a little too much on the one sunny weekend the east coast had this winter :sad2:) and never really got over the pain in my leg. I am still feeling various aches that I hope will be gone soon. In 2010 (when I was a younger gal :lmao:), I was able to walk around DTD and then the MK emh after the half after a shower and short rest.

Btw, do you think the DP would actually do a late checkout?

I couldn't get a reservation at Disney's Grand Californian those 2 nights (at my 7 month window). I just barely squeaked in my reservation this morning for checking in on Sunday (day of the race) and checking out on Friday.

FYI: I could not get a studio at GCV for the Fri-Sat before the race right after registration opened for the AHM and before the 7 month window (GCV is one of our home properties). We have a night at GCV, moving offsite for 2 nights and moving back to GCV on Sun so not the best situation. We have those nights waitlisted but given the event I do not see those coming through.

FYI: I could not get a studio at GCV for the Fri-Sat before the race right after registration opened for the AHM and before the 7 month window (GCV is one of our home properties). We have a night at GCV, moving offsite for 2 nights and moving back to GCV on Sun so not the best situation. We have those nights waitlisted but given the event I do not see those coming through.

DH was not thrilled about the thought of moving once, so he would definitely not go for your plans ;), but I understand that you are hoping the wait-list comes through. Good luck!! :goodvibes

Hi all! DD and I are signed up for the Avengers half and we are thinking about changing hotels on Sunday, the same day as the marathon. (this has been edited to put in the places we are staying; I wasn't able to book GCV until today, so I didn't want to be specific until I had my confirmation!)

DH is going on the trip but not doing the marathon, so he will probably go check-in at the GCV some time while we are racing. I'm going to see if the place we are staying (Desert Palms) has some sort of late check-out (even for a fee) so that DD and I can go back to shower and relax after the marathon.

But I don't think our villa will be ready until after 4.

So, my question is, how do you all "cope" when you are done with the marathon and don't have the rest of the afternoon to relax?

Thanks!

We switched hotels right after I finished Tink this year. I had plenty of time to get back, shower and pack up while DH loaded the car. It was really not a big deal at all.
We never really rest and relax after the races anyway--just a quick shower then hit the parks since our little mouseketter wants to get back to the park. For me it's best to keep moving. :yay:

We switched hotels right after I finished Tink this year. I had plenty of time to get back, shower and pack up while DH loaded the car. It was really not a big deal at all.
We never really rest and relax after the races anyway--just a quick shower then hit the parks since our little mouseketter wants to get back to the park. For me it's best to keep moving. :yay:

I think you are a lot younger than me ::yes:: I am a fast-ish walker and jog just a bit during the half marathon so I will not be finishing the race with as much time as others to spare. Not to mention that I have no idea what corral placement I will be given.

After the 2010 PHM, I was tired and quite a bit achy for just a couple of hours. Then we went to DTD and MK and I felt great (not so, the rest of my traveling group who just wanted to sit on the rockers in Frontierland :( ). But after this past 2014 PHM, I was limping because my compression stocking had clumped behind my knee and gave me a nasty bump and cut. I was somewhat relieved that DD was having issues of her own and we just looked at the MK from our balcony at the BLT resort, rather than being in it as planned :rolleyes2

I am determined to feel better after the Avengers ;)

I think you are a lot younger than me ::yes:: I am a fast-ish walker and jog just a bit during the half marathon so I will not be finishing the race with as much time as others to spare. Not to mention that I have no idea what corral placement I will be given.

After the 2010 PHM, I was tired and quite a bit achy for just a couple of hours. Then we went to DTD and MK and I felt great (not so, the rest of my traveling group who just wanted to sit on the rockers in Frontierland :( ). But after this past 2014 PHM, I was limping because my compression stocking had clumped behind my knee and gave me a nasty bump and cut. I was somewhat relieved that DD was having issues of her own and we just looked at the MK from our balcony at the BLT resort, rather than being in it as planned :rolleyes2

I am determined to feel better after the Avengers ;)

No...I'm not young and I'm old enough to not tell my age either-:lmao::lmao:
I was in corral C and I was near the front. At Tink I did the race with a torn meniscus in my knee. I was not sure how far I could even get with my knee issues, I was very cautious the entire time until I crossed that finish line. So it was definitely not my fastest race but I had a great time anyway.

I'm sure you will feel better after the Avengers race. The weather should be ideal.

No...I'm not young and I'm old enough to not tell my age either-:lmao::lmao:
I was in corral C and I was near the front. At Tink I did the race with a torn meniscus in my knee. I was not sure how far I could even get with my knee issues, I was very cautious the entire time until I crossed that finish line. So it was definitely not my fastest race but I had a great time anyway.

I'm sure you will feel better after the Avengers race. The weather should be ideal.

Okay, thanks!! :thumbsup2 Torn meniscus - ouch!! I'll quit making excuses! However I was 50 :eek: in 2010 and in corral M :eek: for the 2014 PHM, so now what do you think???? :laughing:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!