Have 5-day ticket but will be at DLR for 6 days, which day to skip parks?

bluecruiser

DIS Veteran
I'll be at DLR from Sunday 12/1 through Sunday 12/8 (with Sundays being travel/non-park days). This gives me 6 possible park days (Monday-Saturday), but I only have a 5-day hopper. Trying to decide which day to take off from the parks.

Some key factors affecting my decision:
  • Weather - as of right now there's a 40% chance of rain forecast for Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday and a 10-20% chance other days. Doesn't sound too bad to me, but should I take this more seriously? I'm staying at the Grand Californian, so if needed I can go back to the hotel for breaks if the rain gets bad.
  • Candlelight Processional - Saturday only, I've never seen it before. Thinking I'd like to try this time around.
  • SW:GE - first visit since SW:GE opening. I have reservations on Tuesday for both Savi's Workshop and Oga's Cantina. Would prefer not trying to reschedule them.
  • Crowds - according to Touring Plans (yeah,I know they're not always that accurate for DLR), the busiest days at Disneyland park will be Monday, Friday, and Saturday (with Saturday the busiest). DCA is predicted to be less busy than DL.
Are there any other significant factors that I'm not aware of? Any advice on what day I should plan as my non-park day?

I'm not a local so I can't speak to weather super well...but rain wouldn't scare me and historically T/W/Th have always been significantly less busy for us vs. M/F/Sat. I would skip either Mon or Fri and maybe gauge which based on weather once you get there.

My first thought is skip Saturday, but a) that means no candlelight processional and b) ending the trip on a non- park day, which I wouldn't want to do.

I'm torn between Wednesday and Friday. Wednesday because it's the middle of the trip, Friday because it's likely to be busy.

My first thought is skip Saturday, but a) that means no candlelight processional and b) ending the trip on a non- park day, which I wouldn't want to do.

I'm torn between Wednesday and Friday. Wednesday because it's the middle of the trip, Friday because it's likely to be busy.

Wednesdays are some of the least busiest days in the park though in my experience. If for any reason that moves it up in my opinion. Friday is probably best here as the skip day. Because of the crowds.

Wednesdays are some of the least busiest days in the park though in my experience. If for any reason that moves it up in my opinion. Friday is probably best here as the skip day. Because of the crowds.
True, I was just remembering how exhausted we were by that point, and how nice a day to just hang out in bed would have been 😂

It completely depends on what you plan to do on your non-DLR day. Are you going to hang out at the hotel pool? Or do you want to go to Knott's or Universal or somewhere else?

If it were me, I'd probably catch an Uber over to Knott's (since it's close, and they go all out for Christmas, too). If you do that (or any other touristy, non-Disney outing), then choosing a less-busy day might actually make sense. I'd do Wednesday or Thursday to break of your Disney days evenly, to give yourself a crowd-friendly day elsewhere, and to keep your weekend (especially Saturday) at Disneyland.

Skip Monday because some people may hang around an extra day from Thanksgiving weekend. Expect Saturday to be super duper busy because of the Candlelight Processional. But you'll have plenty of time on your 4 other park days to get in tons of rides and shows and all that fun stuff. This would leave Saturday to savor the stuff that you want to do again. So if you go into Saturday with the thought being that it's like a bonus day, then that will help a lot. So will being there early for DL rope drop at EMH on Saturday morning. You won't want to miss that since it's Candlelight Processional day.

Also, from what I've heard, people camp out for HOURS to see Candlelight Processional. I've seen pictures and video of people having camped out their spot on Main Street all day.

Have you thought about upgrading your tickets once you are there? I think the cost to go from 5 to 6 is negligible (i.e around $5?). https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/facts-on-disneyland-prices/

P.S. I think you can upgrade up to the last day so if there isn't a natural day you want to skip then you can add anytime before the last day.
I can't tell how old that blog post is, but DL no longer offers a 6 day ticket and the prices are WAY outdated.
OP, I would play it by ear and skip a day when you start getting tired and ready for a break.

I totally get the general wisdom of skipping Monday for crowds etc and I agree with those points...BUT that is also OP's first possible park day since they are arriving Sunday and not planning to go that day. I know I wouldn't be able to start off my trip with a full non-park day.

So given that I'd probably say skip Friday but leave yourself some flexibility to make your off day Weds or Thursday depending on actual weather. It's too far in advance to put any faith in a SoCal weather forecast at this point.

For CP, I'd recommend trying to see the second show. There are other threads on here with details. I did this last year and it did not necessitate all day camping. Those folks who have staked out all day are for the first performance and have to move along after the first show and then standby for the second show is let in. You cannot really even line up for second show standby until after the processional from the first performance makes its way down Main Street. So be ready down around the town square end of MS and after the processional passes they will start the queue for the second show (bonus that you'll listen to most of the first show while you wait too).

I'd take Thursday as a rest day. Sure it might not be that busy but it's 60% of the way through your trip and will give you a chance to rejuvanate so you can have some extra energy for the last 2 days. Rest days are crutual for full enjoyment if you ask me!!!

I can't tell how old that blog post is, but DL no longer offers a 6 day ticket and the prices are WAY outdated.
Bummer! I should have double checked the actual DLR ticket site. I go there all the time but with an AP so I didn't realize they changed the tickets to maxing on 5-days. Sorry OP!

Be sure to check the hours for park operations and entertainment on those days.... don't want to miss out on longer park hours or different shows, parades, fireworks, etc.

Have you thought about upgrading your tickets once you are there? I think the cost to go from 5 to 6 is negligible (i.e around $5?). https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/facts-on-disneyland-prices/...
I can't tell how old that blog post is, but DL no longer offers a 6 day ticket and the prices are WAY outdated...
The linked post is at least 4 years old since it quotes prices for the Premium AP which was eliminated in 2015. So, yes, all the information in that post, while very interesting for the sake of history, is completely outdated and inaccurate now (and is making me miss my Premium pass!).

I would skip Sat.
Fri the park will be open late and you can make the most of it.

Hope you have a wonderful trip!

Thanks everyone, lots of great advice! After reading all the replies, I'm leaning toward mid-week or Friday off from the parks. If I tire myself out by the middle of the week I'll take Wednesday or Thursday. But since I now use a power wheelchair (due to arthritis in both knees), my stamina is much better than past trips on foot.

Otherwise, Friday makes sense since it will be busy. I'm not too worried about missing the other weekend festivities like holiday fireworks and WOC since I've seen them before. Thanks for the advice on the second CP show, I plan on checking in at City Hall earlier in the week to find out how they handle access for wheelchairs so I can plan accordingly.

For my non-park day I'm planning a relaxed day at the hotel and Downtown Disney. Knott's and Universal aren't in the plans for this trip, but I'll keep them in mind for the future. Out of curiosity, for people who've been there, which of those parks does the holidays better? And for any wheelchair/ECV users, is either park more accessible than the other?

Monday is the busiest day of the week. Skip Monday
This. I used to always say skip Wednesday so you have a day to rest and recharge in the middle of the week but after experiencing the shift to heavy crowds on Mondays first hand I have definitely changed my mind and would say to skip Monday.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter