Haunted Mansion

d-r

<font color=red>l|ll|||ll||ll||<font color=purple>
Hi -
We are going to disneyland Oct. 31-Nov. 4. It is my first trip to disneylandl; my wife Melissa went once as a child but doesn't remember it so much. We are frequent walt disney world travelers, and we look forward to seeing some of the differences between the resorts.

I'm wondering how different the disneyland haunted mansion typically is from the walt disney world one. The reason is that when we are going it will be the nightmare before christmas. I'm sort of excited to be able to see that, and then I'm sort of disapointed not to see the haunted mansion as it typically is.

I *think* that the differences are that the disneyland stretch room goes stretch, and that the part with the eyes on the paintings and the on the busts that we usually ride by at disneyland you walk by. But are there other differences? Are there rooms on the west coast that aren't in florida?

Thanks for any information,
DR

There are no big differences in the ride that I can think of other than what you mentioned about walking through the first part at DL, while you ride through it at WDW. There may be some other minor differences, but it's essentially the same ride.

The biggest difference, however, is in the way the mansions look on the outside. The WDW Haunted Mansion is a bigger, English tudor-type building, while the DL version looks more like an antebellum mansion in the South. I think it's more creepy looking on the outside than WDW's, especially at night!

Look for differences in Splash Mtn., Big Thunder Mtn. RR, Space Mtn., Jungle Cruise, Pirates, and Small World. These rides are more noticibly different at DL. Have a good trip! :)

Hmmm I kinda remember it being backwards a bit. You start out in the elevator, but go straight to the chairs, instead of walking through the hallway? I don't know, there are little changes like that in all the rides (mostly in Pirates of the Carribean).

I also read somewhere that the "stretching rooms" are different. I can't remember which is which, but one is supposed to actually stretch down (like an elevator) and the other one, the roof goes up and the guests don't really go anywhere.

For your first trip to Disneyland, be sure to get to the Golden Horseshoe Saloon and reserve seating for a show, they go fast so do this first thing when you enter the park. When it's time for your reserved show be in line waiting or you will miss out.
When you enter the Saloon try and get to the stage box on the LEFT side of the stage, they are not reserved and it's whoever gets there first.
The main reason you want that box is it was built for Walt Disney and when he attended a show he would sit there. you are also at stage level and get to interact with show people.
Also when you go on the Mark Twain ask the man on the pier about going into the pilot house, if no one else is there you can go up to the wheelhouse and the kids can "steer" the ship and sound the steam whistle. Also they will get a "River boat pilots license "and sign the log book , they and you will love it.
It's a quiet little secret of Disneyland.

When we were there in December they no loger took reservations for the saloon. You just walk right up and take a seat. You may want to get in line early if the park is crowded.

Hello: The show at The Golden Horseshoe Saloon is one well worth standing in line to see.The genre is old time humor and music, but Disney all the way. It's Family entertainment in the Disneyland manner. Don't miss it !. I have been seeing the shows in The Golden Horseshoe since 1956, and I'm never disappointed.

"Mark Twain"

Hello: I almost forgot; the organ in the main ballroom is the organ from Captain Nemo's cabin in "Twenty Thousand Leagues Under The Sea". It was sold by Disney and bought back to go into the Haunted Mansion.
The Animatronic animals in Splash Mountain came from an old attraction in Tommorowland called "circlerama" that was kind of wierd. Lots of singing Anamatronic Animals.
Be sure and check out the Disneyland Museum above the Pirate Ride. It has original concept paintings and models done before it was built.
One day back in the 50's someone left a valve open on the "Mark Twain" and it sank "bow down" in the Rivers of America, but noone there will admit it ever happened.

"Mark Twain"

Thank you all for the great information!

DR

Originally posted by mark twain
Hello:
The Animatronic animals in Splash Mountain came from an old attraction in Tommorowland called "circlerama" that was kind of wierd. Lots of singing Anamatronic Animals.

I a sorry to have to correct a fellow DISer but the name of the attraction that the Anamatronic Animals came from was named "America Sings."

I did both DL and WDW last year (usually do WDW) and I would say that the three biggest differences between the two versions are the exterior (already mentioned), the fact that you walk by some of the effects in the DL version (particularly the "hurry back" lady). I also think WDW's has a couple of scenes that DL's does not.

BTW, the stretch room at DL is an elevator that you go down. WDW's version the roof rises but you don't move.

HM is not the only ride that has noticable differences from WDW. Pirates (IMO) is probably the largest differences, but there are also noticeable differences in Splash Mountain. Also, the Tiki room show is the original.

In the 1980s I went to DL frequently. At the time, you could see a light in the windows of the HM (visible at night), and this light would move from window to window, as if someone were inside carrying a candle from room to room. I haven't been to DL at night for several years. Could anyone tell me if this 'moving light' is still there? It was a neat effect.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter