Haunted Mansion for young/timid riders

GoldnSilverPixieDust

Earning My Ears
My next trip to the park will be with a young child and I think he would really like the majority of the ride (especially the music) but I am concerned that the beginning part with the elevator (and audience screams) might be a little intimidating. Does anyone know if there is a way to ride and bypass the elevator portion? How do the folks who have ADA concerns enter? Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks.

At DLR, I don't think there is a way to bypass the elevator. Have you thought about showing him ride videos on YouTube? There are some very good quality videos that will allow you to watch with him while talking him through the scarier parts of the ride. If you do this enough times, he will know what to expect and might not mind the elevator so much.

I think there is a way to bypass it, the question is if they would allow it without a mobility reason. When we've gone with a wheelchair, they ask if you can climb the stairs into the elevator, which was fine for my group so we took the elevator. But there must be an alternative if you say "no."

DS is autistic and not a big fan of the beginning of HM. We have bypassed the stretching room once and trust me, that is not a route to take with a timid child! We were walked through a back CM entrance, up a dark flight of stairs and down a dark corridor. Since then, we have dealt with the stretching room by allowing DS to keep headphones on and by one of us hugging him tightly to reassure him.

My DS is terrified of the beginning part, especially during the holiday season with Jack in the beginning part. That being said I've gotten him to go on it, I just have him snuggle up tight to me, he plugs his ears, and I put my hands over them. He enjoys the rest of the ride once we get out of the elevator.

My DD (5) does not like our local amusement park's version of a haunted mansion and it's pretty tame. We are planning to bypass the Haunted Mansion unless she specifically asks to go on the ride. I like the idea of showing him a video so you can gauge what he thinks. If it's too much, the video can be turned off right away. :)

My son (ASD) dislikes the screams.. like other posters, we plug his ears and I squeeze him till we are moving again..

In terms of wheelchairs and ECVs, they have them ride down in the elevator with everyone else and then they bring them back up via the elevator as well. We had concerns about the elevator portion as well and had our little one watch YouTube videos and explained many times that it's not real and people are just having fun. We had one adult hold him and another covered his ears when the time to scream came. He wasn't happy, but he made it through the elevator without a meltdown. He didn't really like the rest of the attraction either, so that was a "one-and-done" until he's older and ready to try again.

My DS is terrified of the beginning part, especially during the holiday season with Jack in the beginning part. That being said I've gotten him to go on it, I just have him snuggle up tight to me, he plugs his ears, and I put my hands over them. He enjoys the rest of the ride once we get out of the elevator.

My son is the same way. He will only ride with me and its like pulling teeth trying to convince him, but once out of the elevator he is fine.

In terms of wheelchairs and ECVs, they have them ride down in the elevator with everyone else and then they bring them back up via the elevator as well. We had concerns about the elevator portion as well and had our little one watch YouTube videos and explained many times that it's not real and people are just having fun. We had one adult hold him and another covered his ears when the time to scream came. He wasn't happy, but he made it through the elevator without a meltdown. He didn't really like the rest of the attraction either, so that was a "one-and-done" until he's older and ready to try again.
I was wondering how you would be able to bypass the stretching room since at DL it is an elevator. I don't think there is another way to get down to loading without going through it.

I have found that youtube videos are a good way to prepare the kids and also get a gauge of their apprehension about a ride that has scary elements (HM, SWSA, Indy, ...).

We told our two year olds that people were being silly and screaming for fun. Now that they're 5 they better understand that sometimes it is fun to be a bit scared. When they were smaller though we just warned them it might be noisy and that people were just being silly. We weren't scared and didn't really react so they didn't. YouTube videos are good too.

At 9 I didn't make DD ride Haunted Mansion but she wouldn't have liked any of it. Now at 12 I just let her close her eyes and cover her ears while I hold her close and then lead her out of the elevator. She still doesn't really like any of it, LOL, but she can handle it.

We have bypassed the stretching room once and trust me, that is not a route to take with a timid child! We were walked through a back CM entrance, up a dark flight of stairs and down a dark corridor.

We did the chicken exit once and it must have been that path in reverse. It was SO much worse than the elevator or the ride would have been. Even my then little guy regretted it.

We told our two year olds that people were being silly and screaming for fun. Now that they're 5 they better understand that sometimes it is fun to be a bit scared. When they were smaller though we just warned them it might be noisy and that people were just being silly. We weren't scared and didn't really react so they didn't. YouTube videos are good too.

You're lucky.

My guy is 12 and still cannot stand the screaming. When he was little? Forget it. He could see how many people were screaming vs how many people were telling him it was just for fun, and he went with the majority. They must be screaming for a reason, and his parents were obviously missing something Very Very BIG and Dangerous about the ride.

Earplugs helped but he wasn't really really willing to deal with it unless it was the holiday overlay. Skellington made it feel safe for him. Skellington made the screams possible to deal with as log as he had earplugs. And he's not prone to sensory issues in general. But it really bothers him when people are screaming. Screams are done for the purposes of calling for help. Not for fun.

(Which is really no surprise that he feels that way since it's how I was raised, and I never really let him scream for play...I just wish he would have trusted me when I told him that unfortunately others don't follow those rules (and it doesn't mean there's a tiger on HM!))

In terms of wheelchairs and ECVs, they have them ride down in the elevator with everyone else and then they bring them back up via the elevator as well.
A little off topic, but I'm wondering if you know how that works? When we went with a wheelchair we were asked if we could stand and climb the stairs onto the porch that leads to the elevator, and stand for the rest of the queue. I assumed that if we said no to the stairs, there would have been another option but that we would have missed the elevator scene. We regretted agreeing to the stairs because there's still a bit of line to wait through afterwards, and we couldn't figure out how to get the wheelchair back after the ride since you don't exit back into the queue (I'm still not sure how we were supposed to do it, we ended up sending someone through a CM queue entrance to carry the chair back out, but that wouldn't have worked with an ECV). If there's no alternative to the elevator, then do people who can't take stairs have to be carried up? I'm wondering if we should just skip this ride from now on.

A little off topic, but I'm wondering if you know how that works? When we went with a wheelchair we were asked if we could stand and climb the stairs onto the porch that leads to the elevator, and stand for the rest of the queue. I assumed that if we said no to the stairs, there would have been another option but that we would have missed the elevator scene. We regretted agreeing to the stairs because there's still a bit of line to wait through afterwards, and we couldn't figure out how to get the wheelchair back after the ride since you don't exit back into the queue (I'm still not sure how we were supposed to do it, we ended up sending someone through a CM queue entrance to carry the chair back out, but that wouldn't have worked with an ECV). If there's no alternative to the elevator, then do people who can't take stairs have to be carried up? I'm wondering if we should just skip this ride from now on.
There's a ramp that leads to the porch. Then you have to wait with a CM at the bottom of the elevator until the hallway clears enough for them to walk you to the HA queue. They will only stop the ride once per cycle to load from the HA area, and only 2-3 buggies. I think they ask because if you can load through the standard queue it's a lot faster. But they should direct you to leave the WC or ECV closer to the exit before bringing you up to the porch.

There's a ramp that leads to the porch. Then you have to wait with a CM at the bottom of the elevator until the hallway clears enough for them to walk you to the HA queue. They will only stop the ride once per cycle to load from the HA area, and only 2-3 buggies. I think they ask because if you can load through the standard queue it's a lot faster. But they should direct you to leave the WC or ECV closer to the exit before bringing you up to the porch.
That makes sense. We must have been dealing with a less experienced CM, because they had us leave the wheelchair in the queue by the porch, and no one was there to direct us at the exit (I thought they were going to bring it to the exit for us, like happens at some other rides). I'm still not sure how it would work with ECV's, since there were stairs between the exit and the queue (through the CM entrance we snuck through). This was the one ride that was really difficult with the wheelchair, so next time I'll ask to use the ramp and keep the chair, and deal with the extra wait.

But for the OP, unfortunately that means I was wrong and it doesn't seem like there's an alternative route other than the scary one a couple others have described. This seems like a problem for a lot of parents. I wish they would do something to discourage the audience screamers.

I'm against telling people they can't scream on a ride. especially a ride that is billed as scary. You can reasonably assume that in a dark room with a dead body hanging from the ceiling someone will scream. If you know that will be an issue for a member of your party, find another attraction to go on. What's next, they have to stop screaming on Screamin?

I'm against telling people they can't scream on a ride. especially a ride that is billed as scary. You can reasonably assume that in a dark room with a dead body hanging from the ceiling someone will scream. If you know that will be an issue for a member of your party, find another attraction to go on. What's next, they have to stop screaming on Screamin?
I acknowledge there's no easy solution since spontaneous screaming if you're scared is only natural. But there are the intentional screamers who are way louder than necessary. I stood next to one once and it left my ears ringing so badly I couldn't hear the narrator on the ride. There's no easy way to make a rule against it as you pointed out, but I wish they could find a way to discourage it, like maybe make a statement about general courtesy as people enter the elevator.

If we want to get into general courtesy, then let's also have Disney tell guests that they can't use cameras with shutter sounds or LED screens in shows or on rides, that they can't hold up their camera or phone during shows, that they can't put kids on shoulders during shows, that they can't talk in the boat on POTC, that they can't sing along during shows. All of those things ruin the experience for someone else.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter