Has renting a golf cart always been for fort wilderness guests only?

lexybear

Mouseketeer
Staying at beach club next weekend and wanted to rent a cart and look at the Halloween decorations, but was told we couldn't. I've seen Tim tracker just reserve one before without staying in the past so was wondering if its a new policy?

I rented one last year while I was staying at Riviera. No one ever asked where I was staying when I made the reservation or when I picked up the golf cart. Interested to know if this is new because I was planning on renting one for Halloween this year as well!

Is it possible it’s just because there are none available?

Are you looking to “rent” or “reserve”? Possible that to “reserve” a cart you may need a campground campsite reservation. To “rent” a cart may be possible without a campground campsite stay if carts are available on the day that you show up at the campground to try to ”rent”. Just an observation and thought about difference in “rent” and “reserve”.

good point on reserve vs rent, when I call to reserve mine, they always ask for my FW confirmation number

It's a relatively new policy change (within the last year) and you can use the "Search Forums" function on the Camping Forum to get more details on when. It was discussed here when the policy change occured. Currently golf cart rentals/reservations are only be allowed to guests staying at FW (cabins and campsites).

This topic came up again (along with your moved thread, OP) yesterday also on the Resort forum.

https://www.disboards.com/threads/fort-wilderness-golf-cart-rental.3855383/

It is what it currently is. No "walk up" golf cart rentals (meaning without a prior reservation, just showing up and asking about availability) for non-FW guests either.

Bama Ed

Last edited:

To answer your original question, it hasn't always been as it is now. We've rented (rented is the same as reserved) several times without staying on property. When we had out of state guests during December, we would drive over, pick up our cart and make a day of it. We would park hop, have dinner at Trail''s End then go looping. After enjoying the site decorations we'd turn in the cart and head home.
Sadly as my esteemed fellow campers above have stated, you can't do it any longer.

We rented one last year and it was no problem at all. Fun.

they did kept telling us to always reserve it early

We rented one last year and it was no problem at all. Fun.

they did kept telling us to always reserve it early

Glad you had a good time.

Depending on when the rental was and how far before, if at all, that you made the reservation, it's likely you made the reservation/rental before the new policy went into effect and equally likely they grandfathered existing off-site reservations.

As others said, no longer allowed under the current set of rules.

In general IMO, golf carts are an expensive convenience but not a necessity at the Fort.

Bama Ed

Glad you had a good time.

Depending on when the rental was and how far before, if at all, that you made the reservation, it's likely you made the reservation/rental before the new policy went into effect and equally likely they grandfathered existing off-site reservations.

As others said, no longer allowed under the current set of rules.

In general IMO, golf carts are an expensive convenience but not a necessity at the Fort.

Bama Ed
I appreciate the information as we were planning on renting on in January when we're back at BCV. This thread saved us time and energy. I'm very appreciative.

I just called and was wondering the same! We're staying at Wilderness Lodge next month and was hoping to rent a cart for a day to look at decorations. It makes sense though. It seems like even guests of the campsite sometimes have a hard time getting cart reservations.

Yes, the policy change was likely fueled by numerous complaints of the folks actually staying at FW that there were not enough carts for them to rent. It makes sense that the actual FW resort guests should get first dibs on the rentals.

However, for the arm and leg that they require this dude is not paying that price as long as I can walk around FW is doable for most part. Now, if you have a health related issue that limits that mobility it's a different story.

I do hope however that folks still go over to FW to view the decorations despite this changed policy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter